Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chelsea_fc mock draft 4.0

This might be my favorite draft I've done, I believe between now and the beginning of training camp, that the Colts will add another veteran Offensive Lineman for depth purposes, but as far as drafting one, I do not think the Colts will go that route.  I also do not think that they will draft a WR, since we will more than likely be keeping 5 and we have 6 at the moment that could all make the roster.  So here it is, let me know what you guys think.

Round 2:  Marcus Smith, OLB, Louisville

• Marcus Smith to me is one of the most complete pass rushers in this years draft.  He has good size for the position (6-3, 251 lbs), and long arms that he uses to bat down balls and get to the QB.  Smith sets the edge well, can rush the passer, and does an exceptional job in coverage for the position.  This pick alone would make the entire draft for me.

Round 3:  Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood

• If Toler cannot stay healthy, this becomes one of the biggest areas of need again.  Desir has great size for the position and has the speed to stay with most WR’s.  Tracks the ball well when its in the air, but needs to work on his press-man skills a little bit, needs to get better at jamming the man at the line.  Helps set the edge well and is a willing tackler against the run.

Round 5:  Preston Brown, ILB, Louisville

• Preston Brown is one probably my second favorite ILB behind Mosley.  He blitzes well and can fight through traffic to get to the ball carrier.  He has long arms which helps when you’re fighting through blocks, and is a thickly built to take on lineman well.  He also does an ok job in coverage.  A bit slow for the position, but is good value at this point in the draft.

Round 6:  Zack Kerr, NT, Delaware

• Zack Kerr has been rising through the draft process and might not be here at this point in the draft, but for this purpose, I’m going to assume he’ll be there.  Would make a good rotation with Chapman in the middle and could really help solidify the position.  Does not offer much of a pass rush, but not many NT in the league do.  Can help clog the middle and demands double teams.

Round 7:  Alden Darby, FS, Arizona State

• Alden Darby is one of my sleeper picks this year.  He’s a bit small for the position (5-11, 192) and could stand to add some bulk, so as a result does not give much as far as run support.  However, what Darby does excel at is his coverage skill, which I believe is exactly what the Colts need at the position.  Can come up and cover the slot and also plays centerfield well.  Would provide excellent competition between him and Howell.

Not bad at all. The Grigson interview the other day where he was praising Lance Louis leads me to believe that offensive linemen will not be a high priority.

The only thing, I read that Marcus Smith does not set a hard edge. To each their own perhaps.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/marcus-smith?id=2543725

I actually prefer Demarcus Lawrence, although it seems like he will not be available at 59.

Not bad at all. The Grigson interview the other day where he was praising Lance Louis leads me to believe that offensive linemen will not be a high priority.

The only thing, I read that Marcus Smith does not set a hard edge. To each their own perhaps.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/marcus-smith?id=2543725

I actually prefer Demarcus Lawrence, although it seems like he will not be available at 59.

As you said, to each there own, but go to draftbreakdown.com and watch Smith's performance in that game (and to be honest the others as well) and form your own opinion on if he can set the edge, I think you'll come away impressed.

I like this a lot. I really love Darby put on a show in Shrine game. I think this is my favorite mock to date. All on D no problem from me. I think we need some depth added at S but I have no problem rolling with Howell.

I like this, I really do. But man I don't want our safeties to stay like this for a year haha

Honestly I feel pretty good about Howell, I thought he did well in coverage and was making some plays before he got injured. Darby was making plays all year for Arizona St. and he stood out to me in every game I watched.

However, if Landry gets injured, I agree the Colts could be in trouble.

Chelsea, I'm not disrespecting your mock, it looks like you put a lot of thought into it.

But I've been looking at the draft like this - will a player drafted at X position make the roster. Is he better than the last guy we have at that spot now.

That's why I think we go with S first, then maybe O line.

So for your picks, can you look at the guys in front of them and then see who they beat out? For example, you're saying Desir beats out Price for a roster spot, right? Entirely possible. I'm not so sure about the rest of the draft though.

Chelsea, I'm not disrespecting your mock, it looks like you put a lot of thought into it.

But I've been looking at the draft like this - will a player drafted at X position make the roster. Is he better than the last guy we have at that spot now.

That's why I think we go with S first, then maybe O line.

So for your picks, can you look at the guys in front of them and then see who they beat out? For example, you're saying Desir beats out Price for a roster spot, right? Entirely possible. I'm not so sure about the rest of the draft though.

I understand what you're saying, but I can't simply say, oh were gonna draft a safety in the 2nd round because it's a need. We could be reaching by pegging ourselves to one position like that.

I guess I should clarify, in my scenario Jimmie Ward has also been drafted before our pick.

And to answer your other questions, I think without a doubt that Marcus Smith can be our 2nd rush lb behind Mathis, he sets the edge well enough that he could beat out Walden as a starter, then take over for Mathis when needed.

Desir could very much become our number 2 corner, especially if Toler continues to get injured.

Brown in my eyes can beat out Sheppard and could be eventually groomed to take over for Jackson after a few years.

Kerr, we don't have much depth at the position and could be our back-up true NT.

Finally Darby, there's not much to beat out, he could be raw now but could develope well. As I stated above, he does cover well for the position.

And no I don't take offense to what you said, I appreciate the input.

So yes, I do think each guy in my mock can beat out the guy in front of him. I purposefully added depth to areas on our team that was weak, and to me, I did it without reaching.