Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Culliver Arrested for Hit-and-Run on Cyclist

OffensivelyPC

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10691178/chris-culliver-san-francisco-49ers-charged-felony-hit-run

Okay, so there's a couple different ways to read this.  What many people seemed to have done is focus only on the words "Hit and Run," and call for Culliver's head.  I'm actually of the opinion that Culliver encountered one of those types of cyclist that think they own the raod and Culliver gave into his poor judgment.  I can't tell you how many times (especially when I was in bloomington where the cyclist train for the Little 500 year round) I've been behind 2 cyclist that are taking up the entire road, going 25 mhp under the speed limit.  Then, when they get up to a stop sign or stop light, they jump the stopped traffic and cross the street irrespective of whether it's their turn or the lights' green, inevitably putting more traffic behind them.  To me, cyclist like this should get ticketed.  Anyway, I've got off topic...

So I think he encountered one of those types of cyclist, probably got fed up with it, and tried to scare him a bit, run him off the road or whatever, and a witness, called the cops and followed him, and the rest is history.  Not sure why Culliver had brass knuckles or whta he'd thought he was going to do with them in the event the witness pulled a gun on him for protection, but whatever. 

I just thought I'd use this article to push my propoganda ( :sarcasm: ) against cyclist that break rules and use no real common courtesy when riding.  You guys suck.

I totally agree that cyclists ought to be held accountable for following traffic laws, and completely understand your frustration... been there myself... but it would be nice if more roads in Indy were designed to accommodate cyclists more safely. The best roads for good long rides often don't have enough shoulder to allow bikers to stay safely out of cars' ways.

Oh lord forbid a poor guy on a bicycle gets run over and some how it's his fault - cue the usual "they should have" followed by "it's his fault regardless cause he ______"

Well road rage is kinda like the saying, "don't bring a knife to a gun fight."  Except, it's "Don't bring a bike to a road rage fight with vehicles that completely protect the driver in a steel reinforced cages and outweight you by at least a 1000 lbs and travel upwards to 90 mph."  I guess cyclist missed that day in physics class lol.

Bicyclist are supposed to follow the same rules as drivers. That means riding WITH traffic not against it. Stopping at stop lights and stop signs and obeying the same rules of right away as if they were driving a car. Unfortunately there's too many Boneheads that ride bicycles that think that they have the right to do whatever they want because they're not in a car. I'm not saying that this is what that cyclists was doing but I have seen that happen way too many times

I immediately thought of this pic while reading this: 

car-bike-crash-mexico-cnn-img_1.jpg

I accidentally about did this to an entire roadfull of bicyclists in the middle of a race one day. It was in my early college days and I was wandering my way out of Muncie, slightly upset b/c I'd just left my girlfriend and wasn't used to being away from her. I turned down a road that I swear was not blocked off in any way, took another turn, and then...BICYCLISTS EVERYWHERE. It was chaos. I just stopped and sat there hoping no one came crashing through my windshield. I have no idea how I managed to get that deep into the race without anyone stopping me! Luckily I didn't kill anyone.

I nearly hit a cyclist once. What I didn't understand was, even though you may have a green light and you're turning right, a cyclist crossing the pedestrian crosswalk has the right-away. I know some parts of the country this is common knowledge, but I live in rural Fort Wayne, Indiana so crosswalks are rare outside of downtown.

Bicyclist are supposed to follow the same rules as drivers. That means riding WITH traffic not against it. Stopping at stop lights and stop signs and obeying the same rules of right away as if they were driving a car. Unfortunately there's too many Boneheads that ride bicycles that think that they have the right to do whatever they want because they're not in a car. I'm not saying that this is what that cyclists was doing but I have seen that happen way too many times

Im a cyclist and obey the traffic laws...Im willing to bet however that 1 out of 4 people that go by me in a car/truck are texting and driving or on the phone talking and driving. Thats distrubing.

I nearly hit a cyclist once. What I didn't understand was, even though you may have a green light and you're turning right, a cyclist crossing the pedestrian crosswalk has the right-away. I know some parts of the country this is common knowledge, but I live in rural Fort Wayne, Indiana so crosswalks are rare outside of downtown.

Which, since they can travel 20 mph, you may not always see them coming in your side view mirror since.  I don't know about anyone else, but it seems to be pretty unreasonable to ask someone to look in their side view mirror when they are executing a right hand turn.

Im a cyclist and obey the traffic laws...Im willing to bet however that 1 out of 4 people that go by me in a car/truck are texting and driving or on the phone talking and driving. Thats distrubing.

Yeah, can't support drivers texting while driving.  Drives me nuts when I'm behind people driving like they're drunk because they want to text and drive.