Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TG Mock, Post Free Agency Flurry

Now that it seems fairly probable that our notable free agency signings are behind us, I've decided to draw up another mock draft.

2. Brandon Thomas, OG/OT, Clemson - An O-lineman who I hope is there at 59 (it could go either way) Thomas played LT at Clemson but probably will move inside to G at the NFL level. He's a guy who has long arms, good strength, a ton of toughness, and I think will be better than David Yankey or Cyril Richardson at the pro level.

3. Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood - A CB that has performed really well, generally against lower level competition. The great thing about him is that he doesn't just break up passes, he's made a lot of interceptions. He's got the length and skill set you look for in an NFL corner though his speed isn't overwhelming. At the very least he gives us insurance at CB2 if Toler goes down injured again (which allows Butler to stay at slot corner) and he may even compete for the CB2 spot if Toler's healthy.

5. Marqueston Huff, FS, Wyoming - A FS who has the athleticism to cover well at the NFL level. He's not a sure hit type of pick, but who is at round 5? He looks good on tape, we have a need at FS, and he could compete with or provide depth for Howell at FS.

6. Kasim Edebali, OLB, Boston College - An OLB who has had a pretty solid college career. They say he's a better competitor than he is an athlete, with really good instincts and a high motor. But he's actually not that bad an athlete, 6'2" 253 lbs with a 34.5 inch verical and a 4.79 40 yard time. And sometimes there is no substitute for great instincts on the field.

7. Zach Kerr, NT, Delaware - A big NT who could rotate in as a backup. He measured between 6'1" and 6'2", and weighed in at 326. Should be available late in the draft.

I don't think we'll take an O Lineman early. Grigson seems satisfied with what we have there. I love the Desir pick in the 3rd. I think we take a safety in the 2nd.

If I had to guess, I think you're absolutely right. Personally I don't think he's done enough to address the O-line, in fact I almost can't believe he's okay with sleeping on it as an issue. This is what I'd do if I was him, but I kind of think he'll keep ignoring the O-line.

I waited on Safety till the 5th because I am not that impressed with many of the FS prospects in this draft in comparison to Howell (if the right guy falls to us at 59 then maybe that would be our best option.) As it stands I'm less concerned with Howell than I am with the interior O-line as a unit (Thomas is injury prone, Costa has a rather low ceiling, Thornton played poorly last season, Holmes didn't play last season). I know adding a rookie doesn't guarantee a fixed O-line but Grigson has done nothing to improve our embarrassing interior O-line this off-season and if there's a good one available at 59 I'd like him to pull the trigger. I don't think we should force it at safety. If we can't land Joyner, Brooks, or Ward in the 2nd and we can't land Reynolds in the 3rd we better damn be waiting till the 5th and not reaching. I also think since Toler is injury prone CB wouldn't be a bad option in the first 2 rounds, especially if we landed a guy who could play both CB and S.

The best Mock I have seen, I would disagree with who is better at some positions but overall it hits best player theroy not reaching for need. I know no one likes the idea of Howell starting at FS  but taking someone is the first 3 rounds makes no sense if they don't have a 3rd round grade. I like OL and CB early. I think that is what we will do. Again I like Cyril Richardson more than others. Like Ladler more than others in 5th and Tre Boston. 

Good draft didn't take a S just because it is a perceived area of weakness with our top picks when there is no one there worthy of that pick. I loved that there was not a WR on the board. I think we can pick some undrafted players up that will provide depth as well. I've seen where TJ Jones goes undrafted as well as Boffeli who plays all interior line positions from Iowa.