Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reminder: Manziel's Pro Day Thursday 3/27...

@NFL_CFB: Mayock: Manziel confirming he can make every throw mechanically + arm strength is as good as Bortles', if not better

I bet that Manziel ends up in our division either with the Texans or Jags, and there will be a Manziel-Luck rivalry.

Just read on NFL.com that 30 teams sent representatives to his pro day. The only two teams not represented were the Browns and Bears. 

So my question is why would a team like us, not in need of a QB and without a first round pick, bother sending someone to scout him at his pro day? The only thing I can figure is we were looking at WR Mike Evans. 

Just read on NFL.com that 30 teams sent representatives to his pro day. The only two teams not represented were the Browns and Bears. 

So my question is why would a team like us, not in need of a QB and without a first round pick, bother sending someone to scout him at his pro day? The only thing I can figure is we were looking at WR Mike Evans. 

Yep, for some reason if he drops, would we move up and mind replacing Wayne with him? I personally don't think so though I feel it is unlikely given the fact we don't have a No.1

Besides, there is their other WR named Derel Walker, who is slotted for round 7 or an UDFA, he is 6'2", 185, they could be looking at him too.

Remember, we did due diligence on Mark Sanchez too in the past though probably for a backup behind Peyton. Glad the Jets got him. :)

Because it's a lot warmer in Texas

Scout his mechanics and stuff up close and personal just in case he winds up in your division.

Or just admiring a good prospect who knows

There's a lot of talent on the A&M roster -- a lot.

Manziel,  Evans and Matthews are just the start.....

Doing your due diligence is never a bad thing.....   but don't read too much into it beyond that.    At least,  not yet.

His main weaknesses and critcisms aren't something that could really be seen in a pro day, its all in game stuff. I don't think anyone said he didn't throw the ball well, so I'm not sure why people were dazzled by that. His arm strength didn't necessarily blow people out the water, but he proved it wasn't what people thought. 

Still not sure if his skill set transitions to the NFL.

A reminder to all.............

The best pro day workout any QB ever had??                      JaMarcus Russell

One of the worst recent pro days on record?                        Nick Foles

How has that worked out?!?

The best pro day workout any QB ever had??                      JaMarcus Russell

Ah, but JaMarcus Russell was lazy from the start and was all about the money. His lack of competitiveness/motivation is legendary and cements his status as the biggest bust in NFL history. John Manziel, however, is known for his toughness and fierce competitive nature. Foles was a sleeper and I admit I wasn't convinced he'd be starting/doing as well as soon as he has but he was a competitor in college too. You can't coach motivation.

Ah, but JaMarcus Russell was lazy from the start and was all about the money. His lack of competitiveness/motivation is legendary and cements his status as the biggest bust in NFL history. John Manziel, however, is known for his toughness and fierce competitive nature. Foles was a sleeper and I admit I wasn't convinced he'd be starting/doing as well as soon as he has but he was a competitor in college too. You can't coach motivation.

And Russell's motivation was the money, and once he got it he checked out. Their motivational factors are on two separate sides if the spectrum.

Plus there was no denying Jamarcus Russell's ability coming out of LSU the guy could flat out sling it all over the yard effortlessly, but once he got what he wanted(money) he checked out

And Russell's motivation was the money, and once he got it he checked out. Their motivational factors are on two separate sides if the spectrum.

Plus there was no denying Jamarcus Russell's ability coming out of LSU the guy could flat out sling it all over the yard effortlessly, but once he got what he wanted(money) he checked out

Exactly, and I think that that may be Clowney's problem too. When you get athletes who play just for the money, things are more likely to turn out badly.

Ah, but JaMarcus Russell was lazy from the start and was all about the money. His lack of competitiveness/motivation is legendary and cements his status as the biggest bust in NFL history. John Manziel, however, is known for his toughness and fierce competitive nature. Foles was a sleeper and I admit I wasn't convinced he'd be starting/doing as well as soon as he has but he was a competitor in college too. You can't coach motivation.

The point is there's much more to determining how good a QB (or any player) really is than just a pro day.

If the Pro Day was the only thing that counted,  scouts wouldn't watch tape,  wouldn't go to post season all-star games,  wouldn't hold the combine or private workouts.     All they'd do is have a pro day.

It's just one piece of a very large puzzle.

All I'm saying is don't read to much into Manziel's pro day workout....  or, for that matter,  Bortles,  Bridgewater's,  Carr's or anyone else's....

That's all I'm trying to say.......

The point is there's much more to determining how good a QB (or any player) really is than just a pro day.

If the Pro Day was the only thing that counted,  scouts wouldn't watch tape,  wouldn't go to post season all-star games,  wouldn't hold the combine or private workouts.     All they'd do is have a pro day.

It's just one piece of a very large puzzle.

All I'm saying is don't read to much into Manziel's pro day workout....  or, for that matter,  Bortles,  Bridgewater's,  Carr's or anyone else's....

That's all I'm trying to say.......

Yeah I get your point. I was just pointing out that there is a reason Russell excelled and Foles didn't despite their pro days. Going off of pro days purely would indeed be a silly way to scout, and every team will do their homework before investing in a QB or any other player for that matter.

The whole thing(combine/pro day) means very little to me.  Tom Brady looked like trash during that process and he's going to be a 1st ballot hall of famer.  I don't think you find out a whole lot about a guy during the combine.  If you do I think it's in the spoken interviews where you get to familiarize yourself with the players mindset and any potential character red flags you can pick up on early.

I believe that most scouts still think Jeff George's was the best ever.

Yeah, they are all small pieces of the puzzle, the combine and the pro day for different things.

For a QB, the combine interview is more important than anything else at the combine. At the Pro Day, if they have to script throws he did not make much of during his college career, that helps answer a tad few questions. That is the extent of it.

Then, it is back to game tape.

Watch what this Rice defensive co-ordinator says about Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles (not so kind to Bortles while he has high words about Manziel and Bridgewater):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334548/article/college-coaches-break-down-johnny-manziel-others

Bridgewater seems to me like an Alex Smith, high floor but not a very high ceiling. Manziel has a similar floor but much higher ceiling if his head is on straight. Bortles is more a physical specimen match to the QB position than the mental match.