Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CBB players who could play in the NFL

When watching the March Madness games, I often like to think about what current basketball players could be the next to crossover and have a professional career in the NFL. So far, I think that Patric Young, the PF from Florida, could have potential as a TE at the NFL level. He's probably too short to play as a PF in the NBA and he played football in high school and his dad was a pro in the USFL. They have him listed at 6'9" but I've heard it's more 6'7". Any college basketball players out there that you guys could see making it to the NFL?

This guy will be a big-time pro shot-blocker in the future, but the University of Kentucky's Willie Cauley-Stein was a 6'11" high school WR when John Calipari started recruiting him.  Can you imagine being the 5'10" HS CB who drew that assignment?  It'd be like..."what am I supposed to do to stop THAT??!!!"

This guy will be a big-time pro shot-blocker in the future, but the University of Kentucky's Willie Cauley-Stein was a 6'11" high school WR when John Calipari started recruiting him.  Can you imagine being the 5'10" HS CB who drew that assignment?  It'd be like..."what am I supposed to do to stop THAT??!!!"

My thoughts exactly

I don't see many...one guy I remember who had the tenacity of say a Robert Mathis was Kenneth Faried who now plays for the Denver Nuggets. At Morehead St. he was a beast!!! But in general I don't think it works often...it takes a special type of mindset to play football...and while athletically and physically many could...mentally I don't about it so much.

Yeah I remember hearing about that when he was a freshmen. I wonder how many redzone TD's he had his senior year of high school.

I'm a big UK basketball fan and Cauley Stein is an amazing athlete. Your talking about a guy 7 feet tall who can drive down the length of the court and dunk it all over somebody. He's amazed me a few times this year. Yeah, he was a WR in HS. Its kind of crazy when you think about it.

That sounds almost as crazy as that high school kid who was like a 300+ pound RB. Can't remember his name for the life of me

I'm a big UK basketball fan and Cauley Stein is an amazing athlete. Your talking about a guy 7 feet tall who can drive down the length of the court and dunk it all over somebody. He's amazed me a few times this year. Yeah, he was a WR in HS. Its kind of crazy when you think about it.

I live in Lexington, KY myself.  It's impossible to be neutral on basketball here, so I'm a UK fan too! 

Stanford actually has a candidate.

A forward named Josh Heustis.    He's 6'7" and 225.    But, he's not athletic enough to be a small forward and not big enough to be a power forward.   So, he's a tweener.    He starts and plays well for Stanford.

Not sure what his future holds.    I'm sure he'd like to try and be drafted...   He might make an NBA roster as a 10-12th man on the bench kind of player.    The kind that is happy to be on the bench and knock be a headache to the head coach.  

And if not the NBA,  he might go to Europe for a few years to make some money.

That said....  he's a prime candidate to be a tight end.   A year (maybe two) of good conditioning, he adds 25-30 pounds and the Colts would have an athletic 3rd tight end who is smart and plays hard and could turn into more than one might think.

I doubt it happens this year.....   but maybe in 2015 or '16.