Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MTC's Colts mock draft (1.0)

I believe the Colts are done in free agency so this is a good time to post my first mock draft.

Feel free to criticize me and discuss your opinion.

According to fftoolbox.com, Colts have 5 draft picks. That's not as terrible as people say because we don't have many needs believe it or not.

Here it goes:

2nd round 27th pick: David Yankey, OG/OT, Stanford

- Not only is he familiar with Pep Hamilton's system he provides a glaring hole at offensive guard. Donald Thomas health is up in the air and 2013 3rd round pick Hugh Thornton was struggling all year. Yankey is both good against the run and pass and already has chemistry with some of the players on offense. Great fit.

3rd round 26th pick: Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida

- A very good man to man corner and scouts seemed to love him during the Senior Bowl. Greg Toler is not a guarantee to stay healthy all year and the Colts don't have any replacements that can play the outside. 

5th round 26th pick: Tre Boston, S, North Carolina

- I watched him during the East-West Shrine Bowl game and he stood out to me as a playmaker. Howell and Boston can compete for the starting job. 

6th round 27th pick: TJ Jones, WR, Notre Dame

- Do we need a receiver? No, but this class is one of the best in years. I almost put Fresno State receiver Davante Adams as a second round pick. TJ Jones made a lot of nice plays for the Irish this year who is a good target for Luck and a speedy receiver.

7th round 17th pick (from Ravens): Bennett Jackson, CB, Notre Dame

- Yes, another corner. Jackson had a solid season with the Irish and can provide some good depth at the position. 

Wouldn't take any of the corners from Florida. They're all being overrated based on Pedigree. Its the same school Janoris Jenkins and Joe Hayden came out of. But here is what NFL.com has on their pro-day:

Loucheiz Purifoy, CB (5-11 5/8, 191) — Purifoy ran the 40 in 4.63 and 4.65 seconds. He had a 10-foot broad jump, 4.32-second short shuttle and 7.28-second three-cone. Chargers secondary coach Ron Milus put Purifoy through his on-field positional drills.

Marcus Roberson, CB (6-0 1/4, 192) — Roberson ran the 40 in 4.72 and 4.69 seconds. He had a 35-inch vertical jump and 7.19-second three-cone time. He performed 10 strength lifts. There are questions on whether or not he can play cornerback in the NFL with his speed. He has the skills, but lacks the desired speed to play cornerback at the next level.

Jaylen Watkins, CB (5-11 1/2, 192) — Watkins had a 31 1/2-inch vertical and 9-10 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.50 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.13 seconds. He complained of having a sore right ankle and didn’t run the 40. Watkins is a player who will be better off in the NFL playing as an inside/slot cornerback. He’s probably a third-day draft pick.

I wouldn't take any of them earlier than the 4th. Watkins is basically a slot corner, not a number 2. Watch the tape and you will see the most overrated secondary in College last season. If Joe Haden didn't come from there, none of them would be even considered as higher than 5th round picks.

Yankey lacks mauling power and hip snap to turn his man out of the hole, Poor lateral agility and gets caught extending to much-Ill pass

Watkins is alright-Not sure he can be a press man corner, Was asked to play off his man alot

Tre Boston-No, Better at coming up in the box and lacks the ability to recover consistentlyDont like his deep speed

T.J. Jones-I like him alot in the slot-quick, great run after the catch ability, Good hands

Bennett Jackson-No

I really like addressing the O line early. I am surprised we did so little to upgrade so far this off season. I am in the minority that believes Costa will be pretty good and the game one starter if nothing changes. I think it might be a bit optimistic to get a shot at Yankey. But I like the idea.

I have read that we like Pierre Desir in the 3rd. Baptiste would be hard to pass if he's there.

I like TJ Jones a lot could be a real steal that late.

I really like addressing the O line early. I am surprised we did so little to upgrade so far this off season. I am in the minority that believes Costa will be pretty good and the game one starter if nothing changes. I think it might be a bit optimistic to get a shot at Yankey. But I like the idea.

I have read that we like Pierre Desir in the 3rd. Baptiste would be hard to pass if he's there.

I like TJ Jones a lot could be a real steal that late.

I agree with TJ Jones being the steal of the draft ! I like his ability to pluck the ball out of the air, would be awesome to have in the redzone. Needs some polishing on his route running but with some coaching and some mentoring from Reggie, he could be a really good weapon to have.

I like your priorities.  I have no doubt that the three big priorities are S, OG, and CB, which is the order I'd look to select them.  However, if Terrence Brooks, Lamarcus Joyner, and Jimmy Ward are all gone by our 2nd round pick, I could see the draft going exactly as you say.  I think Yankey could possibly fall to us in the second, and I also really like Watkins.  Really nice job!

I think we can trade down here and pick up extra players if Grigs passes on Ward Baptisite Attaochu any/all could be available. There are so many players I like a trade down for a couple of picks just not with a division opponent. I think we could trade down and get Pierre a few spots lower.

2nd Pierre Desir CB hear we are high on this kid 6'1" 195 25 ints in college small school kid

3rd Cyril Richardson OG Baylor suppose to fit into a power running scheme

5th Tre Boston S    Ball Hawk: Interceptions tell the story 9 last 2 yrs, he is very good at locating the football in the air and making the break on the ball. His hands are good and his anticipation is fantastic. He reads the QB's eyes well and again, break on the ball is key. per cbssports draft tracker

6th Morgan Breslin  OLB potential to immediately help pass rush has a high ceiling

7fh TJ Jones WR Kiper has him going undrafted I was against taking a WR but if he's there in the 7th round how can you not

Immediately sign G Connor Boffeli Iowa can play all 3 interior positions Hawks have a good history with lineman in the league he will go undrafted

“I always had a huge chip on my shoulder, but now I have even more to prove,” Breslin said. “I’m really looking forward to my pro day. I honestly thought I should’ve got an invite to the combine. I was pretty * about that.”

Breslin’s statistics back up his argument, too.

No other USC pass rusher in the last decade has accumulated more tackles for loss (19.5), sacks (13) and stuffs (32.5) in one season than Breslin during his redshirt junior year. That time span features a decorated list of first-round draft picks including Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, Lawrence Jackson and Nick Perry.