Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian De La Puente visiting Redskins

Who cares if he's overrated, De La Puente is better than Costa and Holmes. 

Im not really convinced of that, He had two great Guards next to him who I watched help him alot, He slips off blocks alot and is very inconsistent getting in push in the run game, Lack of strength and is not athletic

Who cares if he's overrated, De La Puente is better than Costa and Holmes. 

De La Pente is not a fit for our needs.  We already have a young center in Holmes who has the tools to be better than De La Puente.  If you want a center to be a starter until Holmes is absolutely ready, go with Goodwin.  He is better than De La Puente by a pretty substantial amount, and he would be a better mentor and teacher for Holmes.

The Colts seem to do the best job of keeping player interest private.  I saw a tweet that the Giants, Saints, and Bronchos are interested in DLP too.  That doesn't mean we're not.  None of us knew that DQ Jax was coming here until he did - we weren't on the interested list.  

i'm a little mad that grigs sat on his hands while nobody had interest in BDLP now we're competing with 4-5 other teams if at all if we get stuck with holmes and costa we're in some trouble our oline will not be any better if not worse than last year maybe we'll bring in a draft pick who will have no clue and stink as much as thornton last year im really frustrated by this we had the cap to upgrade the line with 2-3 solid linemen and we go out and get one subpar one i know in a few minutes ill look at this and say im an * i guess alot of others on this forum will too just when i see an easily signable player who could greatly upgrade the team and watch my team do nothing to sign him i get a little frustrated

De La Pente is not a fit for our needs.  We already have a young center in Holmes who has the tools to be better than De La Puente.  If you want a center to be a starter until Holmes is absolutely ready, go with Goodwin.  He is better than De La Puente by a pretty substantial amount, and he would be a better mentor and teacher for Holmes.

Yup. I'd rather not have BdlP. Give me Goodwin or Montgomery.

I'm starting to think (or fear) that Grigson is just okay with letting Holmes and Costa battle it out at C. Our starting O-line would be Costanzo, Thomas, Costa/Holmes, Thornton, Cherilus. Which would certainly be better than last year's 24th ranked squad (per pff) but still not likely to rank in the top half of the league. But if we had Mack I think we might crack the top 10.

I'm starting to think (or fear) that Grigson is just okay with letting Holmes and Costa battle it out at C. Our starting O-line would be Costanzo, Thomas, Costa/Holmes, Thornton, Cherilus. Which would certainly be better than last year's 24th ranked squad (per pff) but still not likely to rank in the top half of the league. But if we had Mack I think we might crack the top 10.

scary thought isn't it?

Yup. I'd rather not have BdlP. Give me Goodwin or Montgomery.

Goodwin I understand the logic for, but help me understand the thought process on Montgomery?  Why are folks so eager to embrace a declining player that the Redskins cut for a modest cap savings - a cut clearly for performance in support of their mission to upgrade the interior of their line? 

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/6151/redskins-release-montgomery

Goodwin I understand the logic for, but help me understand the thought process on Montgomery?  Why are folks so eager to embrace a declining player that the Redskins cut for a modest cap savings - a cut clearly for performance in support of their mission to upgrade the interior of their line? 

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/6151/redskins-release-montgomery

yuck and goodwin's 35 and on the decline...yeah no thanks i hope there's somebody ANYBODY out there that's slightly better

Im not so sure Montgomery is a declining player yet, hes played in 90 games of the 144 that have taken place since the beginning of his career. Only has averaged 11.25 starts a season overall(due to him being a backup prior to that)...Thats not alot of wear and tear for 8 years in the league. Watching the Redskins games I dont think he was a Zone scheme fit, He didn't look to move really well laterally

Im not so sure Montgomery is a declining player yet, hes played in 90 games of the 144 that have taken place since the beginning of his career. Only has averaged 11.25 starts a season overall(due to him being a backup prior to that)...Thats not alot of wear and tear for 8 years in the league. Watching the Redskins games I dont think he was a Zone scheme fit, He didn't look to move really well laterally

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with being a declining player, but he's 31 and a player that they didn't want back from an underperforming interior O-line.  He wasn't cut for a bloated salary - he had a very reasonable cap hit for a starter, and there was no plan in place to replace him other than move a player (Lichtensteiger) to center that hasn't played center since college.  Maybe he is miscast, but the circumstances are symptomatic of a declining player.  See comments from Chris Cooley:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/03/18/chris-cooley-kory-lichtensteiger-will-be-fantastic-at-center/

“I’m a little bit bummed for Montgomery, because on a lot of people’s boards going into last year, he was a potential Pro Bowl center after the year he had in 2012,” Cooley said Friday on his ESPN 980 program. “He wasn’t a world-buster in 2012, but he did have a very solid year, and you expected him to continue to grow as a starter in an offense that he was comfortable with. And for the most part, he really didn’t. I think he [regressed] throughout the year, and I think that was one of the positions that you said this is a little bit of a weakness for our team.

i'm a little mad that grigs sat on his hands while nobody had interest in BDLP now we're competing with 4-5 other teams if at all if we get stuck with holmes and costa we're in some trouble our oline will not be any better if not worse than last year maybe we'll bring in a draft pick who will have no clue and stink as much as thornton last year im really frustrated by this we had the cap to upgrade the line with 2-3 solid linemen and we go out and get one subpar one i know in a few minutes ill look at this and say im an * i guess alot of others on this forum will too just when i see an easily signable player who could greatly upgrade the team and watch my team do nothing to sign him i get a little frustrated

It`s like you haven`t read up on BDLP at all. The NO Team & fans are indifferent to his returning. Why? His skill level.

4-5 teams may want him. I wish them well and hope he gets all the $ they can pay.

It is True that Grigson & Pagano HAVE BEEN scary bad with the O-Line the 1st 2 years, that is a Fact.

lmao that a team that got rid of the Big Three will have a worse O- line. JMO that we will be making some tough final cuts from the players we Now have.

Yes it is safe to say it will take some game action to jell. But there is young talent on our roster.

And we have a wuss Division to practice on and there is no reason our Line can`t be Playoff ready.

Then you can worry about our Tackles in pass protection! UGH!!!

It`s like you haven`t read up on BDLP at all. The NO Team & fans are indifferent to his returning. Why? His skill level.

4-5 teams may want him. I wish them well and hope he gets all the $ they can pay.

It is True that Grigson & Pagano HAVE BEEN scary bad with the O-Line the 1st 2 years, that is a Fact.

lmao that a team that got rid of the Big Three will have a worse O- line. JMO that we will be making some tough final cuts from the players we Now have.

Yes it is safe to say it will take some game action to jell. But there is young talent on our roster.

And we have a wuss Division to practice on and there is no reason our Line can`t be Playoff ready.

Then you can worry about our Tackles in pass protection! UGH!!!

true we have a wuss division but ive read up on him alot and i think he does have his issues with run blocking last year but was solid in pass blocking and in 2012 excelled at both and was very good just had a down year like a few of the other FA Centers but he does have potential and he's a heavy upgrade over our young talent but that's just my opinion

Montgomery isn't a world-beater, but he was basically a half-step behind Goodwin last year. Stronger in the run game than in pass blocking, but that gets exacerbated when you're blocking for a one-read QB who scrambles. And he only gave up 2 sacks, to Goodwin's 4. I understand the Redskins wanted to move on, and that's fine, but I think Montgomery is a solid vet who can play in zone and power schemes, he can also play guard, and I don't think he'd require a multi-year deal. I'd choose Goodwin ahead of him, but he'd be a reasonable second option, especially as an insurance policy to an uncertain Holmes.

Montgomery isn't a world-beater, but he was basically a half-step behind Goodwin last year. Stronger in the run game than in pass blocking, but that gets exacerbated when you're blocking for a one-read QB who scrambles. And he only gave up 2 sacks, to Goodwin's 4. I understand the Redskins wanted to move on, and that's fine, but I think Montgomery is a solid vet who can play in zone and power schemes, he can also play guard, and I don't think he'd require a multi-year deal. I'd choose Goodwin ahead of him, but he'd be a reasonable second option, especially as an insurance policy to an uncertain Holmes.

I see where you are coming from analytically - the logic is sound - but I think he has an inflated value right now because he is not on our roster.

I see where you are coming from analytically - the logic is sound - but I think he has an inflated value right now because he is not on our roster.

Inflated value strictly to us Colts fans or inflated value in the FA football world?