Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots Sign Revis to one year 12 mil deal

amfootball

They can franchise next year for $10mil. That is about the window Brady has left to win a ring. I didn't want multiple years and a lot guaranteed. To be honest, I am shocked Revis signed a one year deal.

I'm not. Revis will compete for a ring & prove to the NFL that he is a primer CB. A very smart man IMHO. 

Football discussion is second to none. I am a member of several non-Pats forums but this one is among my favs.

SW1 is glad to have your insights amfootball. Anytime anywhere my friend.  :thmup:

Wow. I'm impressed the  Pats signed Revis. 

Plus Browner is in NE today? If NE get Browner too? 

tumblr_m6yljqUASi1r2iv0wo1_500.gif

I know Lollygager I can't explain how NE does this year in year out...Sign the best free agent vets around. I can't even get angry anymore. I just yield to that Massachusetts witchcraft now. Just Kidding! 

After watching the Broncos have a field day in FA, Patriots fans were dying for this, and it's still a little difficult to believe it actually happened. Normally this is an out-of-character thing for Belichick.

But...

1. Revis is special. If he's healthy he'll be worth that $12M, and then some. Belichick knows that too I think. Plus the way this is all structured, they are OK to franchise him, and word is that Revis is content to gamble on himself with a series of shorter, high-money deals. It kind of makes sense when you consider it from the player's perspective, though it is a little risky for him. He can continue to sign one or two-year deals at max dollars, and in the long run will probably make more money that way, ASSUMING he stays healthy and continues to play at an elite level. 

2. Although NE generally doesn't operate with "window to win" urgency, I'm so glad they didn't just do their usual status quo thing and were aggressive enough to sign Revis within a few hours of his release from Tampa. Obviously this was lined up ahead of time.

3. How cool is it for us Pats fans that not only are you adding one of the game's best corners, but you're also doing so at the emotional and fiscal expense of the Jets? Tampa released him, resulting in them giving up their fourth round pick instead of their third this year. Late in the saga, there was chatter that Revis was eyeing a return to NY. Within an hour of that story hitting NFL.com, the Patriots locked him up. 

4. Belichick will know how to use Revis, unlike the last regime for the Bucs. And the chatter at the moment is that Browner is being brought in to talk about possibly transitioning to strong safety. He's something like 6'4", 220. Won't be available until week 5 because of a suspension, and carries a high-risk element of course, but I'd love to see him added today somehow. The media is also citing sources that the Patriots will try to rework some deals to free up more space, possibly to add a pass rusher (maybe Peppers, maybe Allen, if they'll move from their current demands). I'd be pretty pumped if they can bring in one more guy, lock up Edelman, and then draft for some depth.

Merry Christmas to my fellow Pats fans.  :thmup:

September can't come soon enough!

Yeah,  Santa Claus came early this year GP. Congrats you lucky devil. Revis is back to form baby. A healthy Patriots squad with a piece like Revis & Edelman back in the fold is gonna do some serious Playoffs damage. I look forward to my Colts clashing spears with your club this season. NE always makes us play better. A worthy AFC rival is awesome & Houston is always tough as nails too. I love it.  ;)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Talib signed with Denver, I said outloud "Just wait Revis is still in play & when they sign him the other shoe will drop with a resounding thud across the league." I just had a feeling like actor Bruce Willis/John McClaine around bad guy terrorists in motion pictures. 

Translation: I knew that BB would 1 up Fox & Elway & he did. Darn, the Grey Hoodie is shrewd, cunning, & decisive. That's a complement not a slam BTW. LOL! 

When Talib signed with Denver, I said outloud "Just wait Revis is still in play & when they sign him the other shoe will drop with a resounding thud across the league." I just had a feeling like actor Bruce Willis/John McClaine around bad guy terrorists in motion pictures. 

Translation: I knew that BB would 1 up Fox & Elway & he did. Darn, the Grey Hoodie is shrewd, cunning, & decisive. That's a complement not a slam BTW. LOL! 

I agree, man. You're a fair and objective poster and I love reading your posts.

When I first heard Talib signed with Denver I thought Elway might have delivered us a Mortal Kombat Fatlity Finisher. How could we stop Denver's offense without a good corner? We've seen New England's secondary problems in the last few years. BOOM. Headshot.

Then we get Revis, who I believe to be a once a generation talent - a true shut down corner back highlight reel.

Elway did us the biggest favor imaginable by trying to better Denver at our expense. He opened that door.

I haven't been this excited about the Patriots in Free Agency since signing Randy Moss.

Here's to hoping we stay healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't be so high up on Revis if I were you guys. Ask the Bucs fans how mega awesome he was last year when they desperately needed someone out there to stop them from getting burned by deep balls. And it's not like the Bucs didn't try to improve their defense last year. Their pass rush was hard in times, and they gave some teams a run for the money, but they still got burned hard by that deep ball.

Say what you want about him now (Now that he plays for your favorite team of course) but I watched enough of the Bucs last year to know, he's not the same anymore. Brees burned him hard with Robert Meachem. How do you get burned by him? Meachem is probably the worst WR to play with the Saints in the last 6 years, and he burned Revis bad in the Superdome on those deep balls.

He only had 2 interceptions last year....Two. Yet this is supposed to be the greatest CB in the game since Rod Woodson.

I must say though; Signing him to a one year deal was smart, because they don't know if he's going to be poor like last year or if he really shows up.

Signing him may look sexy, but I'm telling you, he's not all that. His last good season was 2011 where he had 4 INT's and a pick 6, and was one of the few good players on the Jets D that season.

The Pats defense is terrible. Signing him isn't going to fix the glaring problems. They look great when they are blowing out cupcake teams, but it's not been a joke that their defense has had huge problems since they lost that Super Bowl in 2007.

You see what happened to Tampa when they brought in Revis last year - he is not the be all end all piece that fixes a defense.

I wouldn't be so high up on Revis if I were you guys. Ask the Bucs fans how mega awesome he was last year when they desperately needed someone out there to stop them from getting burned by deep balls. And it's not like the Bucs didn't try to improve their defense last year. Their pass rush was hard in times, and they gave some teams a run for the money, but they still got burned hard by that deep ball.

Say what you want about him now (Now that he plays for your favorite team of course) but I watched enough of the Bucs last year to know, he's not the same anymore. Brees burned him hard with Robert Meachem. How do you get burned by him? Meachem is probably the worst WR to play with the Saints in the last 6 years, and he burned Revis bad in the Superdome on those deep balls.

He only had 2 interceptions last year....Two. Yet this is supposed to be the greatest CB in the game since Rod Woodson.

I must say though; Signing him to a one year deal was smart, because they don't know if he's going to be poor like last year or if he really shows up.

Signing him may look sexy, but I'm telling you, he's not all that. His last good season was 2011 where he had 4 INT's and a pick 6, and was one of the few good players on the Jets D that season.

The Pats defense is terrible. Signing him isn't going to fix the glaring problems. They look great when they are blowing out cupcake teams, but it's not been a joke that their defense has had huge problems since they lost that Super Bowl in 2007.

You see what happened to Tampa when they brought in Revis last year - he is not the be all end all piece that fixes a defense.

I would agree he's not what he used to be but if he was an "A" CB and now a "B" or slightly less CB that is still better than a "C or D" CB.

Plus any vet can have a great year at anytime. Maybe this will be the year or maybe not. But it's worth the shot I would say. (kinda like Moss did in 07)

I am mostly with you... last year Revis looked far from the "island" he once was. 

But my understanding is that most humans (read: not Adrian Peterson) take a couple years to fully recover from serious knee injuries.  If he has fully recovered, and returns to form, this will be a very solid move by the Pats.

No one in NE sees Revis as the sole guy to get the NE D over the hump but to categorize the NE D as terrible when they were ranked 9th last year in points speaks more to your bias against the Pats than any factual evidence. Before the injures set in week 6, the Pats D was shutting everyone down including keeping your boy Graham to zero catches in a win over the Saints.

The fact is the Pats don't need Revis to be the guy that fixes their defense as their defense is pretty solid all around with a stout and athletic front 7 and a secondary that not only has Revis but a pro bowler in McCourtney and solid DBs in Dennard and Ryan and the recently added, hard-hitting Browner. I would like to see them add another pass rusher alongside Jones either in FA or through the draft. That really is the only piece missing at this point now that Wilfork has signed.

I know Pats haters would love for the team to rise and fall on Revis but the Pats don't roll that way. He is one piece in what should be one of the best defenses in the AFC this season.

You are so terrible wrong about basically every point about Revis it's not even funny. 

He gave up the least yards in the NFL, the least amount of yards.cover snap and was basically 1st or 2nd in every CB stat available. 

"Revis wasn't good last year"

Gave up the fewest reciving yards in the NFL, the fewest yards/cover snap, 2nd in both targets cover snap and receptions/cove rsnap. 

Yea and people like to point to his interception total as a measurement of how good he was, but shut down CBs don't get a lot of interceptions because QBs dont ever throw to them!

He had the year he had after coming off of ACL surgery and hes been the most consistent CB in the NFL for the last several years.