Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

FA's think Indianapolis is a good destination.

I never read too much into articles, but I like reading Pat Kirwin cbssportsline.com since he was in player personnel, and he always has a few good thoughts. I have been reading at multiple spots agents liked Indy due to the signings last year, not the players themselves, but the $$$$ the Colts put out.

Now couple that with a team who has a very good young QB, and a chance to win right now for awhile, and it seems the Colts are a good destination for many young FA's. If Kirwin is right, which he won't be, the Colts are going to be spending a lot of cap space. As far as my thoughts, I would like Byrd, Verner from the list, but then go after some OG's, and make sure Vontae gets resigned! Also, why would we go after Monroe? Castanzo is fine, and keeps getting better each year. Plus I do not want to pay Decker number 1 WR money. Everyone says wherever he signs his deal will be as good as or better than Wallace to the Dolphins last year. Please don't let that happen. If you want to spend that type of money, spend it on Davis and Byrd. I can see spending number 2 WR on him, but I don't even think that is prudent. Here is a snippet from the article, and if you want to read it in it's entirety, the link is below. It is an interesting article. I also put a link in at the bottom about the market for Decker, and what a former agent thinks he will get. As I said, not here!!!!!!!!

Free agents like Colts

The signing of linebacker D'Qwell Jackson on a four-year, $22 million deal is just the tip of the iceberg in Indianapolis. The Colts have close to $40 million in cap space and as Jackson said he wanted to go to a team with a good young QB and a team with a chance to win now and for the next few years. I got the feeling a number of good young veterans on the free agent market are looking at the Colts as the place they want to go. I could see an offensive tackle like Monroe, a wide receiver like Decker, a safety like Byrd, and a corner like Verner in their sights when Tuesday rolls around.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-kirwan/24471561/film-study-anthony-barr-scott-crichton-trent-murphy-kyle-van-noy

Really good article, and goes into much more than just FA.

The article about Decker from an agent's point of view and evidence to back it is also interesting. Link

provided below for anyone who wants to read it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24471116/agents-take-examining-key-considerations-for-eric-deckers-free-agency

I don't understand why the media thinks Colts will sign Decker, I can understand why Decker would like to come here but why would Grigs want to sign a big money wr like him when he can get a cheap wr in the draft?

I don't see how we can sign both Vontae Davis and Alterraun Verner. It is likely an " either or" proposition, and I am not sure how likely we would be of signing Verner. I would not sign Davis to some outlandish deal though. No more than $8 million per season or you will likely regret it.

I don't mind signing Decker, but definitely NOT for $10 million per year. I would be hesitant to spend more than $7 million per season, although $8 million is more a more likely figure.

To be honest, I think Indy is one of the best places a free agent could land right now. 

A classy and well run organisation that is succeeding enough to make regular playoff appearances, but that still has enough holes on the roster for players to come in and make a big impact straight away.

I don't see why we shouldn't be top of every free agent's list.

I don't see how we can sign both Vontae Davis and Alterraun Verner. It is likely an " either or" proposition, and I am not sure how likely we would be of signing Verner. I would not sign Davis to some outlandish deal though. No more than $8 million per season or you will likely regret it.

I don't mind signing Decker, but definitely NOT for $10 million per year. I would be hesitant to spend more than $7 million per season, although $8 million is more a more likely figure.

Verner, like Davis, will demand top dollar, as they are among the better available FA corners. If we don't sign Davis, then it's unlikely that we would sign Verner, unless he's okay with a lower contract-- either in the amount of years, or guaranteed money. Logically, they would both want about the same as they're both fairly young and among the top corners available.

If we don't sign Davis, then we may not be able or willing to sign any of the top corners. We'd sign guys like Toler, mid-tier FAs.

Signing Decker would be a bad move IMO. I want us to have athletic receivers who can get separation, bring in jump balls, and be a deep, big play threat.

We have TY. He is small but he has separation speed and he gets behind coverages. We need a guy, like Reggie, who has great hands, runs great routes and makes the must catches in crunch time.

At the numbers this agent is talking about here, I don't want Decker.  If we pay Decker 10 million APY then I think there will be very little doubt that Grigson overpays in FA.  

He could help us but we don't need him that much.  I feel like we could roll with the guys we have on the roster.  

I don't understand why the media thinks Colts will sign Decker, I can understand why Decker would like to come here but why would Grigs want to sign a big money wr like him when he can get a cheap wr in the draft?

He is already proven also all this crap of he is only good because of peyton manning is Bullcrap he was already good when manning got there.

ya he got in the league in 2010 he only had 6 REC for 106 yards and 1 td now 2011 the year before peyton got to Denver he led the broncos in rec with 44 catches for 669 yards and 8 td's.

ya he got in the league in 2010 he only had 6 REC for 106 yards and 1 td now 2011 the year before peyton got to Denver he led the broncos in rec with 44 catches for 669 yards and 8 td's.

So he wasn't a superstar as a rookie, and that means he isn't a good player now? Have you seen Reggie Wayne's rookie numbers?

I'm not interested in seeing the Colts sign Decker, especially for the money he's probably going to get. But all this noise about how he's only productive because of Peyton Manning is overblown and unfair, if not totally inaccurate. 

Pretty sure that last year was with Tim Tebow throwing him the ball. So basically double that number to project that for any other QB. :D

I approve of this message!

We HAVE to get Davis under contract or at least one of the top FA CBs to pair with a CB from this years draft.

His name has not come up to my knowledge in recent conversations but, Mike Jenkins was targeted by the Colts at one time and he would likely come cheap to help out in the trenches as depth. Again... we still need Davis... keeping Davis could make Jenkins serviceable with an improved secondary and pass rush.