Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Somebody Has Got To Say (Type) It: LB Jameel McClain

Was released by Baltimore. Made a comeback after a serious spinal cord injury. Started 10 games and had 50 tackles and one forced fumble.

"McClain persevered through a difficult childhood in Philadelphia, where he was homeless at times. He went from an undrafted free agent to a starter alongside Ray Lewis on one of the game’s most vaunted defenses. Not the most physically gifted player, McClain became a key performer on defense and special teams. His career was in jeopardy after he suffered a spinal cord contusion late in the 2012 season, but McClain worked hard to get back on the field and would up starting the Ravens’ final 10 games last season." - Baltimore Sun

"...the Ravens will try as hard as they can to keep inside linebacker Daryl Smith around. Smith was one of the best linebackers in the league last season, and he was an absolute steal for GM Ozzie Newsome last offseason on a one-year deal. The former Jacksonville Jaguars star lit up the stat sheet with 123 tackles, five sacks, three picks, and a whopping 19 passes defended, and he also played a key role on the defense as a leader. Smith is somebody this team needs to lock up, because he would be a touted free agent this offseason." - Baltimore Sun

I really like what Smith can bring.  Lets talk to him.  While he is 31 years old, he does well at backpeddling and covering receivers/TEs, and RBs out of the backfield.

I just read where he broke Ray Lewis's record for pass deflections.  He can rush the QB when called upon as well...nice size as well.

Ravens DO see him as a priority to retain....

I really like what Smith can bring.  Lets talk to him.  While he is 31 years old, he does well at backpeddling and covering receivers/TEs, and RBs out of the backfield.

I just read where he broke Ray Lewis's record for pass deflections.  He can rush the QB when called upon as well...nice size as well.

Ravens DO see him as a priority to retain....

I wonder what kept us from him last off-season? He only signed a 1 year deal with the Ravens.....head scratcher.

He and Dansby would be my first two choices.

No question about that. Even if we draft an ILB early, having a vet to show the ropes like a Dansby or Daryl Smith as a 1 yr. or even 2 yr. stop gap option would boost our depth and quality, IMO.

I wonder what kept us from him last off-season? He only signed a 1 year deal with the Ravens.....head scratcher.

I agree, and we really did not talk too much about him here either...we were on a Vasquez Levitre mission on the OL :)  How did that work for us :)

I thought about it when McClain was released.  personally I'd have no problem bringing him in for a reasonable price.  Not sure if he could take over as a starter but let him compete for it.  Even if we also sign Jackson and/or draft a player...we're going to need a couple of ILB's considering we're likely losing Angerer and Conner, and Sheppard can be upgraded.