Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Salary Cap could be $150 Million in 2016

Dark Superman

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the salary cap is expected to be set "at about" $133 million this season and may rise over $140 million in 2015 and $150 million in 2016.

Those would be huge increases compared to the minimal jump we saw last March. The 2014 cap could be set as soon as Friday. The $133 million cap would be a $10 million increase on last year's $123 million. With the reports of major leaps down the road, we could see fewer cap casualties and big spending next month with an eye toward the future. It's welcome news for the free-agent class.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Feb 28 - 10:56 AM

That's great news for Colts fans..

Should allow us to lock up key future free agents, while still being able to snag big free agents until then.

I have a great feeling about this teams future!

I think the league should expand the rosters to 60 players for the regular season. There's plenty of money to go around and support an extra 7 spots per team, and it would make it easier to handle injuries and IR designations. You can keep more of your training camp players, and improve depth. If the cap is going to continue to balloon like this -- and there's no reason it won't -- then it's time to give teams more roster flexibility.

Now you know why Ozzie structured his deal with Flacco. Like Suggs , he will be extended out easing the cap , when the time comes. I think this was decided long ago, and I know Joe wants to win, and be a Raven long term. With his best buddy on the team, Pitta, signed for 5 years, 32 million, the plan is in place. Next target , Eugene Monroe, if the numbers are right.

The Ravens aren't in as good a place as the Colts with cap room, but considering they are one year off the Super Bowl and practically blew up the team , things are progressing well. We need a center, right tackle, wide receiver, and inside linebacker, as well as some depth . We may also need another running back. If Oz can get that in place, you will see the Ravens back in the playoffs.

Now you know why Ozzie structured his deal with Flacco. Like Suggs , he will be extended out easing the cap , when the time comes. I think this was decided long ago, and I know Joe wants to win, and be a Raven long term. With his best buddy on the team, Pitta, signed for 5 years, 32 million, the plan is in place. Next target , Eugene Monroe, if the numbers are right.

The Ravens aren't in as good a place as the Colts with cap room, but considering they are one year off the Super Bowl and practically blew up the team , things are progressing well. We need a center, right tackle, wide receiver, and inside linebacker, as well as some depth . We may also need another running back. If Oz can get that in place, you will see the Ravens back in the playoffs.

Rotoworld just mentioned hakeem nicks possibly going to Baltimore..

Not really.

Everyone expected the cap to start increasing either this year or next. I think this year's bump is a little more than expected, and maybe that will carryover in subsequent seasons. But this doesn't really change the way team's are projecting their future cap situations. We've always known that the Ravens backloaded Flacco's contract with the expectation that the cap would be increasing.

I think the league should expand the rosters to 60 players for the regular season. There's plenty of money to go around and support an extra 7 spots per team, and it would make it easier to handle injuries and IR designations. You can keep more of your training camp players, and improve depth. If the cap is going to continue to balloon like this -- and there's no reason it won't -- then it's time to give teams more roster flexibility.

Unfortunately, I think this is something that the NFL wants to package as a "concession" by the league in the next round of CBA negotiations in exchange for an 18 game season.  I don't think it's a very strong argument in particular, but when it comes to the guys cutting the pay check, it could very easily be something that holds up the negotiations.  The NFLPA would obviously require that the cap be raised for the new guys - and by how much is what will be the hotly debated issue.  The NFL is going to see it as adding 7 lower level, league type minimum guys, and of course the NFLPA would argue something to the effect that the 7 extras would be quality backups to insure against the increased injury risk to starting caliber players.  Who knows where that one is going to end up - and it will certainly depend in large part on what other contested issues are.

What a coincidence!  You need a center, and we've got another really good used one on the roster to sell you....low mileage, the whole deal....make an offer, and I'm sure we can work something out.  

What a coincidence! You need a center, and we've got another really good used one on the roster to sell you....low mileage, the whole deal....make an offer, and I'm sure we can work something out.

No thanks, we both have bad offensive lines. Hopefully , we will get one in the draft, or another free agent