Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kelcy Quarles / 3-4 DEs

Anyone who has watched him, Do you think he could play a 3-4 DE?  At 6'4" and almost 300lbs, he would have good size as someone in our front 7 with some pass rushing ability from a DE spot on our line.  WHo are some other 3-4 DE prospects we might look at that will be available with our picks?

Briggs32:  I feel that anyone who saw the Gamecocks play know this kid plays hard.  While analysts still see him as a 4-3 guy, I see him transitioning to a DT in a 3/4 quite well.  Why....he does not give up, and he can play inside or outside.  

While Clowney was clowning around, Quarles kicked some tail on the pass rush!!  Take a quick look...he also has room to put on 20 pounds...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737112/kelcy-quarles

Quarles has the size and strength to play DE in a 3-4 defense. Quarles is a 2nd round prospect as well.  

Other DE's Prospects

2nd round 

Daquan Jones, 6'3 320 lbs, Penn State

Ego Ferguson, 6'3 310 lbs, LSU

3rd round 

Brent Urban, 6'6 300 lbs, Virginia

Deandre Coleman, 6'5 320 lbs, California

Taylor Hart, 6'6 300 lbs, Oregon

To me, finding a Rookie ready to contribute at DE in his year one speaks of our 2nd rd pick.
If we could add a good FS prospect in round 3, that would tickle me to death.
 I would like to add an experienced Starting ILB in FA.
 And a FA DE that could push/start ahead of Redding.
  These 4 players would really boost the D i think.

No FA Center as Holmes will be a very nice surprise for you G/Homers.

Quarles has the size and strength to play DE in a 3-4 defense. Quarles is a 2nd round prospect as well.  

Other DE's Prospects

2nd round 

3rd round 

Will check out Quarles, Urban and, Hart as I had not heard of them.  Have watched highlights and seen a couple of games of Jones, Ferguson, and Coleman.

Coleman played both NT and DE and played well at both.  Jones and Ferguson from what I have seen are 1 tech or 3 tech only, IMO. 

Other DE's Prospects

2nd round 

3rd round 

Quarles and Jones are very much on my radar for 2nd round picks.     Not sure about Ferguson.   I've read he's not very good on the pass rush.     I'd like something out of that player.

I like the 3 players you have in the 3rd round,  I'm just not sure yet if any of them are worth a 3rd round pick,  or are they more 4th, 5th or 6th round guys?    Need more info on them.....

Quarles and Jones are very much on my radar for 2nd round picks. Not sure about Ferguson. I've read he's not very good on the pass rush. I'd like something out of that player.

I like the 3 players you have in the 3rd round, I'm just not sure yet if any of them are worth a 3rd round pick, or are they more 4th, 5th or 6th round guys? Need more info on them.....

Urban could be a surprise. He has some nice athleticism for a 34 DE. Jones, on the other hand, is very meh to me.

Urban could be a surprise. He has some nice athleticism for a 34 DE. Jones, on the other hand, is very meh to me.

I really like Urban too...   I just don't have a good feel yet for where he should be drafted?   And I get very picky about over drafting -- meaning taking a player too soon...  a round or so before he really should be picked.    Well run organizations don't do that.

Once I get a better feel for Urban,  then I'll know where I think we should spend for him...   but he's also very much on my radar...

There's also a big (similarly built DE at West Virginia that I heard some good things about (6'6" 275, with room to grow)  that might be comparable to Urban.   But off the top of my head, I'm struggling to remember his name?   Clarke?   Not sure...?

Yup...   here's the page for Clarke from NFL.com...   they're not wild about him...  feels like a 5th or 6th round kid...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/will-clarke?id=2543881

And here's a page for Clarke from ESPN...   not much info there yet...   they have him with a 5th round grade.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/33830/william-clarke

And here's a page on my Stanford guy, Josh Mauro...   feels very 5th round to me...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/josh-mauro?id=2543859

Anyway.....   I'm hot to get younger, stronger, faster and more skilled on defense thru th draft while using FA more for offense than for defense.     Either way,  we need another big infusion of talent.

I think Quarles would be a good option in the 2nd, and I do think he would excel as a 3-4 DE, but I wish either RaShede Hageman or Stephon Tuitt would somehow still be on the board though. Will Sutton, Ego Ferguson, and DaQuan Jones are good options too.