Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Renewed Chance At Greatness

jtrester

Driving home from work this afternoon, I listened to JMV interview Paul Kuharsky. A good point was made about blowing up the defense and starting over. Peyton is on a clock at this point, if he comes back healthy, we do not have the time to complete rebuild the defense, that will take too long. We need to execute the Tampa-2 the correct way. So here is my brainstorm....

Coaching: Can the staff. Bring in Fisher and a team of his choosing. He has got to be frothing at the mouth for a chance to win a Superbowl. His teams always played hard, ran well, and hit hard. He has never had a chance to utilize a player of Peyton's caliber.

Draft: You take the best available player. If we have the opportunity to draft Luck, you take him. We need at minimum one more solid O-lineman and some larger secondary players. The days of nipping at opponents ankles is over.

Trades/Cuts/etc.: Trade or cut Hughes, Addai, Brown, Brackett, Bullett. Sorry to say bye to some of them, but between inept playing and constant injury, they need to be off the tally board. We can bring in some vets or find some younger talent.

Gameplan: Offense can harken back to the Rams of the late 90's. Delone Carter can run over people and has the speed to runaway. If we get a solid running game, it allows Peyton to lower his throwing to 25 to 30 times per game. This should limit the solid hits on him and prevent further serious injury. Our wide-outs are darn good when they can actually stick to timing routes and with Peyton it is possible.

The defense has never been very good anyway, I don't see the harm in trying to change scheme. The only guy we absolutely NEED is Freeney and I think he could be successful in any defense as long as his special skill set is taken advantage of. Hard to imagine starting over from scratch would make us any worse. We're already 32nd in points and 31st in yardage.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 1, 2011 - response to removed comment
Hidden by Nadine, November 1, 2011 - response to removed comment

You do know a special -ed student is a upgrade over caldwell.Fischer is a solid coach unlike caldwell.

And your proof to support that is...

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 1, 2011 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, November 1, 2011 - personal shot

Fisher was an NFL head coach for what? 16? 17 years with the same team? You don't maintain a job for that long in this league being incompetent. What % would you put on Caldwell staying here another 13 or 14 years?

Laughable.

Cue the cricket sounds for dn4192
Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 1, 2011 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, November 1, 2011 - personal shot

Cue the cricket sounds for dn4192

I've learned to just ignore dn4192. If you try to prove your point he will just twist your words around.

I am sorry to say, I think that we need to do alot more then just draft a few players and cut a few players to be great again.We can be solid agian if we can sure up the offensive line, which should happen if the newbees get healthy over the offseason and stay out of injury problems as much as possible. Brown I am still wavering on. I would really like to see him get a few games were he is the featured back. I would like to see him get 20 to 30 carries in a few games to himself. I think he still has potential. I just dont think he has ever been given the chance to shine in this offense. Maybe I am just crazy. But, in the past when he was given a chance when addia was hurt he has had some good games. It's not like addia has ever been a game changer. I like Carter, but he is a pure power rusher. Which I have always liked. But our offense is built around a running back that can also be flexible enough to catch balls out of the backfield and sometimes even line up as a reciever. I dont see him as that type of RB. He is a great change of pace player to have though.

Our Defensive is a joke. Head to toe. I love Freeney and Mathis. But, they cant stop the run. Honestly, every colts fan knows that. They can rush a passer, and they are elite at that. But, anyone can run on us. So we need bigger LB's. Solid DT's with girth. DB's that are physical, and especially another SS that can hit like a freight train. We need a physical defense. Even if Peyton is healthy again, we are not going to put up 30 -40 points again like in his prime. We dont have a Marvin on the outside that has great speed and can catch anything thrown his way. We have garcon. A speedster that catches about half of the passes thrown his way. We have Wayne, that can run nice routes. But, he isnt going to burn anyone down the side lines.

Anyway, we can be really good again, and compete for SB's. But to be great, we have a long road ahead.

The defense has never been very good anyway, I don't see the harm in trying to change scheme. The only guy we absolutely NEED is Freeney and I think he could be successful in any defense as long as his special skill set is taken advantage of. Hard to imagine starting over from scratch would make us any worse. We're already 32nd in points and 31st in yardage.

The Tampa 2 can work with the right personnel, and we are a few DB's and an NT from it working. Remember, we are also one of the worst offensive teams right now, which puts so much more pressure on the defense.

Completely changing the scheme requires staffing changes, all new personnel, and a dramatic learning curve. We can go from bad, to good enough with the current scheme and Manning by making few changes. We wouldn't get a defense worth fielding before Manning's done by changing everything. Is that what you want for him?

You mean besides 0-8?Well how about the timeout in the jet playoff game?Even peyton was caught screaming on the sidelines.The timeout in the jacksonville game,the 62-7 rout,no gametime adjustments,saturday calling him out.

wow a couple of examples over how many games? And Jeff Fisher never made a mistake?

Fisher was an NFL head coach for what? 16? 17 years with the same team? You don't maintain a job for that long in this league being incompetent. What % would you put on Caldwell staying here another 13 or 14 years?

Laughable.

How many SB apperances during that tenure with the talent he had did they make? How many divison titles did they win during his tenure?

DN - you've been given proof, time and time again, yet it doesn't register....pathetic.

No what I have been given is opinion, based off the view of Joe Fan who has little to no insight or knowledge of what is actually going on with the Colts. I have Joe Fan who still has his undies in a bunch over the 2009 season and the final two games.

Driving home from work this afternoon, I listened to JMV interview Paul Kuharsky. A good point was made about blowing up the defense and starting over. Peyton is on a clock at this point, if he comes back healthy, we do not have the time to complete rebuild the defense, that will take too long. We need to execute the Tampa-2 the correct way. So here is my brainstorm....

Coaching: Can the staff. Bring in Fisher and a team of his choosing. He has got to be frothing at the mouth for a chance to win a Superbowl. His teams always played hard, ran well, and hit hard. He has never had a chance to utilize a player of Peyton's caliber.

Draft: You take the best available player. If we have the opportunity to draft Luck, you take him. We need at minimum one more solid O-lineman and some larger secondary players. The days of nipping at opponents ankles is over.

Trades/Cuts/etc.: Trade or cut Hughes, Addai, Brown, Brackett, Bullett. Sorry to say bye to some of them, but between inept playing and constant injury, they need to be off the tally board. We can bring in some vets or find some younger talent.

Gameplan: Offense can harken back to the Rams of the late 90's. Delone Carter can run over people and has the speed to runaway. If we get a solid running game, it allows Peyton to lower his throwing to 25 to 30 times per game. This should limit the solid hits on him and prevent further serious injury. Our wide-outs are darn good when they can actually stick to timing routes and with Peyton it is possible.

No on most counts...'You dont draft Andrew Luck (unless Manning quits football) when we need defensive help...Turn one pick into 3 or 4...

There's nothing wrong with Carter, Brown and Addai..You want to cut depth??

If you can the staff..you're ashcanning next season... Manning only has 4 years left..

Cutting Brackett and Bullitt to replace them with unnamed guys we HOPE to get it is not an option..

@Manningistheman- Good post! We do need to do more, this means to change the conventional and traditional ways that the Colts are accustomed too, do a little out of the box thinking and aggressively pursue players who would make an impact in free agency.

It means to get physical on both offense (running the ball) and defense (stopping the run), while still having the finesse aspects on offense (throwing the ball) and defense (rushing the passer) this is the formula to success. You want proof, look at the Green Bay Packers, they do all of that on the list both physical and finesse on both offense and defense and as a result they were Super Bowl champs last season and look like they are headed that way again this year.

Now pertaining to the OP-

Coaching: We need to bring in a defensive coordinator to bring some fire and passion to this team, however with this said the great defensive coordinators we should target would need to be promoted in order to leave, and would assume our HC position. Otherwise this would mean promoting a qualified defensive coordinator who is just a position coach at the moment.

Candidates for HC: Mike Zimmer, Dom Capers, Rob Ryan, or the glamorous Jeff Fisher or Bill Cowher.

Draft: Continue in the direction of drafting big physical players which has not been the philosophy of the Colts prior to this past year’s draft, steps in that direction were taken. Trade down from what I guarantee is the first pick to acquire lots of picks and players to rebuild the areas of weakness. STARTS IN THE TRENCHES ON BOTH SIDES OF THE FOOTBALL!

Trades/Cuts/Free Agency: Always shop players on the team except for Peyton, just to see what value they could bring to the team. Cut Bullitt, Foster, Brackett, Diem, all are over hyped and over paid. Pay cuts to Freeney and Clarke, Any and all of the above I said to cut if they are going to stay as just a back-up, drastic pay-cuts, Mathis and Wayne give a Colt’s discounts in their new deals. Be much more proactive in Free Agency targeting positions of dire need, like a NT (Soliai) and a SS (Landry).

Game Plan: Use more of a 4-3 Hybrid, which is the 4-3 Under, where Jerry Hughes will be used as a stand-up pass rusher, which happens to be what he was successful at doing in college! This means Hughes plays as the SAM LB on the LOS, rushing the passer and sometimes covering the TE, this means the Will and Mike are essentially both Mike’s just on the left and right much like a nickel defense. This would bode well for using Hughes if he is going to stay on this team and drafting another physical linebacker to pair with Angerer like a Manti Te’o! Link for defenseive fronts: http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/9/28/1695461/miami-unc-the-4-3-over-slide-front

Or the Colts can revert more to a base 4-3 with some variations, bump and run coverage by our corners, more variations of blitzing and unpredictability. On offense more of the ability to run the ball, especially the play action and stretch play when Manning is back healthy!

No on most counts...'You dont draft Andrew Luck (unless Manning quits football) when we need defensive help...Turn one pick into 3 or 4...

There's nothing wrong with Carter, Brown and Addai..You want to cut depth??

If you can the staff..you're ashcanning next season... Manning only has 4 years left..

Cutting Brackett and Bullitt to replace them with unnamed guys we HOPE to get it is not an option..

1. How do you past on the talent you are asking them to pass on?

2. Why do you believe Miami or any other team would hand over 3-4 picks? I can see 2 but 3 or 4?