Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eli Manning possible in on selling fake Memorabilia

Narcosys

As you said so appropriately above:  "This IS a big deal."

Well from what I read in post # 16 that Shecolt posted this dealer Eric Inselberg that filed the claim has a dubious past with previous dealings so until this is finally settled I won't say that Eli did anything wrong.  I still after reading Shecolts post I don't think this has any merit too it.    JMO

Well from what I read in post # 16 that Shecolt posted this dealer Eric Inselberg that filed the claim has a dubious past with previous dealings so until this is finally settled I won't say that Eli did anything wrong.  I still after reading Shecolts post I don't think this has any merit too it.    JMO

Okay, I went back and read Shecolts' link too....and you're right....that Inselberg guy sounds like he oughta be Art Schlister's cell mate.

I guess we'll see what happens with Eli's part...but an already shady business just got a little shadier.

Okay, I went back and read Shecolts' link too....and you're right....that Inselberg guy sounds like he oughta be Art Schlister's cell mate.

I guess we'll see what happens with Eli's part...but an already shady business just got a little shadier.

Forbes magazine seems to think the case will rock the industry even if this particular suit is without merit

I agree with that

I will just play wait and see.  I have always been against false advertising.    I get especially angry on the fine print that the elderly fall trap to.   :lecture:

While it's certainly possible this all happened, I go back to my previous point -

How do you prove something like that?

It's very difficult. There are only a handful of reputable authenticators and they will only do so with absolute proof. People spend a lot of time and money making really good fake everything. Everything gets marked balls, jerseys, bats, shoes in an important game or for a superstar player but someone knows that mark. An authenticator would pretty much have to take position on said item directly and immediately Of course he could participate in fraudulent activity as well but his reputation is all he has and that's a big risk.

Prove it.

Case closed.

Of course if some boob can get a million bucks for spilling coffee on their person lord knows what our "justice" system will rule.

True MOW, but that case had more to do with the high temperature of coffee which was kept at dangerously extreme levels that severely burned human skin & really that lawsuit put into motion tort reform & it lowered financial settlements for pain & suffering. A horrible precedent for people who will never be adequately compensated anymore. 

sports collectibles is serious business

Hard to believe that Manning would involve himself in something like this

But also hard to believe that a lawsuit would be brought for no reason

I'll be interested to see how this plays out

It happens all the time Nadine in courtrooms across America Nadine. I would go after the NJ dealer's shady past like a pitbull. You waste my time; I will make that person pay dearly with all the legal resources at my disposal. JMO.

Plus, the NY Giants owners are pushing back along with Eli Manning & they have deep, deep financial pockets. This NJ dealer is toast. 

True MOW, but that case had more to do with the high temperature of coffee which was kept at dangerously extreme levels that severely burned human skin & really that lawsuit put into motion tort reform & it lowered financial settlements for pain & suffering. A horrible precedent for people who will never be adequately compensated anymore.

It happens all the time Nadine in courtrooms across America Nadine. I would go after the NJ dealer's shady past like a pitbull. You waste my time; I will make that person pay dearly with all the legal resources at my disposal. JMO.

Could be

I guess well see

Could be

I guess well see

True, I have no proof either way myself. But, I also know the Eli Manning would not be this stupid to conduct an unethical business enterprise like this. He has no financial motivation & I would not want to make an enemy of the Mara & Tisch families, especially when the NJ dealer resides in "mob country." Just kidding! 

I will just play wait and see.  I have always been against false advertising.    I get especially angry on the fine print that the elderly fall trap to.   :lecture:

I hear what you are saying Brent & I never want anyone to be mislead or intentionally taken advantage of, but what was this dealer actually promised? An authentic Eli Manning Jersey or helmet right? And he got that right? Not a knockoff made in a sweat shop made in Bangkok, Thailand.

I see no problem here as long as Roger Goodell can confirm that the sold items are in fact official NFL apparel with the shield logo on it etc. etc.

I hear what you are saying Brent & I never want anyone to be mislead or intentionally taken advantage of, but what was this dealer actually promised? An authentic Eli Manning Jersey or helmet right? And he got that right? Not a knockoff made in a sweat shop made in Bangkok, Thailand.

I see no problem here as long as Roger Goodell can confirm that the sold items are in fact official NFL apparel with the shield logo on it etc. etc.

I have no skin off of my back in this...I just want people to get what they paid for...plain and simple.

I have no skin off of my back in this...I just want people to get what they paid for...plain and simple.

It goes back to my Declaration Of Independence example though. You can own a piece of history, but that document or article of clothing can't make you transform into something you could never be in real life. 

If buyers are upset at someone, they should be upset at themselves for having delusions of grandeur & falsely believing that you can really own a living piece of history from a famous celebrity/athlete. Just like when people buy JFK memorabilia from famous auction houses. Was this pen on JFK's desk in the Oval Office really the same exact pen? It's a toss up. 

Is the person who bought the Manning jersey or helmet going go out & throw the football around with his buddies in the backyard after the SB? I highly doubt it. He or she will probably store it to retain it's value & never put it on. As long as the jersey or helmet is real, there is no crime of fraud here at all. JMO. 

Unless Eli Manning knowingly signed a document swearing that this jersey was the one he wore during a specific game & you can prove it from film footage that say this jersey has no tear over the right shoulder like the film clearly shows then the NJ dealer has no legal leg to stand on, & even then, unless Eli lies under oath in a court of law, you've got nothing. Beliveing something & proving it is a whole different threshold.

Also, the NJ dealer would have to establish a pattern of being sold counterfeit goods from the NY Giants & Eli Manning with names, dates, & bills of sale. A very tall hill to climb IMO. 

It has always been a shady business and always will be a shady business.

Agreed...and whether or not Eli knowingly contributed to collectors getting screwed, I'm guessing that from now on he'll take advantage of the many other endorsement opportunities he probably has instead of bothering with this so-called business.

I'm honestly surprised, given the Manning family's marketing savvy, that Eli didn't avoid this in the first place....if he had the choice not to.

If he was required to take part in it by some agreement the Giants organization has or had with Steiner's, then maybe the NFL and the NFLPA need to review and assess whether any of it is worth the legal exposure to its players and teams when things like this take place.

Sounds like someone asked Eli to give his helmet, and he said no. Then this person decided to have Eli possibly sign another helmet worn in another game/practice, and passed it off to another party claiming it was the game worm one. They told the Giants it was purchased via them, so Giants display it, not thinking to ask Eli?