Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eli Manning possible in on selling fake Memorabilia

Narcosys

The thread title implies that he's committing petty theft. That's pretty inflammatory. It's also inaccurate.

The accusation is essentially that he refused to give up his game worn gear - condoning non-game worn gear being used in it's place. WHO CARES. I'm sure that all name players are pushed to comply with requests like that, and I would guess that he's comfortable with the originals and is more focused on trying to win than with the nonsense "business" of memorabilia. That's morally pretty much exactly the opposite of what the thread title implies.I imagine that this happens all the time.

An original autograph is a great keepsake. A real helmet/uniform is just cool. But the other aspects pertaining to "authenticity" and "investment" is artificial nonsense. The first thing I'd do with a game worn uniform is stick it in the washing machine to attempt to return it to it's "un game-worn" condition".

The thread title implies that he's committing petty theft. That's pretty inflammatory. It's also inaccurate.

The accusation is essentially that he refused to give up his game worn gear - condoning non-game worn gear being used in it's place. WHO CARES. I'm sure that all name players are pushed to comply with requests like that, and I would guess that he's comfortable with the originals and is more focused on trying to win than with the nonsense "business" of memorabilia. That's morally pretty much exactly the opposite of what the thread title implies.I imagine that this happens all the time.

An original autograph is a great keepsake. A real helmet/uniform is just cool. But the other aspects pertaining to "authenticity" and "investment" is artificial nonsense. The first thing I'd do with a game worn uniform is stick it in the washing machine to attempt to return it to it's "un game-worn" condition".

The person who paid specifically for the game worn edition cares.The person believed they were paying for the legitimate thing (and probably paid a ton of money for it) and was purposely given something else.

The person who paid specifically for the game worn edition cares.The person believed they were paying for the legitimate thing (and probably paid a ton of money for it) and was purposely given something else.

Any extra "value" over and above the cost of the equipment comes from the certification on it claiming that it's game worn, along with the buyer's vivid imagination. Whether it actually is or isn't game worn is of absolutely no relevance, and more to the point it would be utterly impossible to determine one way or another.

It makes NO difference whether Eli gave real equipment or not, it's just a freaking piece of equipment. It's the fantasy that they are selling to people, and the buyer got exactly what he paid for. All Eli did (if any of this is true) is refuse to play someone else's stupid game.

Have you ever stopped to think about players saving balls from big tds? Do you honestly think that the ball that ends up in their locker is ALWAYS the same ball that they caught or threw? And does it matter one iota? A busy equipment manager will get them a ball - it's just a memento to trigger a memory. A fan paying through the nose to get in on "the memory" is a quantum step farther away from reasonable, and frankly pretty ridiculous. There  only value that item has is what some OTHER guy might be willing to pay them for it in the future. As long as it has that certification their "investment" is intact. And despite the implications of this article, their fantasy remains intact. What else should they expect?

If you read the article and looked into it.  Eli didnt want to give up his game worn stuff and rather took some random thing and passed it off as the real thing so that it would sell for me.  He is still misleading the people that are buying.  A helmet autographed by someone is cheaper than a helmet worn and autographed by that person.

Any extra "value" over and above the cost of the equipment comes from the certification on it claiming that it's game worn, along with the buyer's vivid imagination. Whether it actually is or isn't game worn is of absolutely no relevance, and more to the point it would be utterly impossible to determine one way or another.

It makes NO difference whether Eli gave real equipment or not, it's just a freaking piece of equipment. It's the fantasy that they are selling to people, and the buyer got exactly what he paid for. All Eli did (if any of this is true) is refuse to play someone else's stupid game.

Have you ever stopped to think about players saving balls from big tds? Do you honestly think that the ball that ends up in their locker is ALWAYS the same ball that they caught or threw? And does it matter one iota? A busy equipment manager will get them a ball - it's just a memento to trigger a memory. A fan paying through the nose to get in on "the memory" is a quantum step farther away from reasonable, and frankly pretty ridiculous. There  only value that item has is what some OTHER guy might be willing to pay them for it in the future. As long as it has that certification their "investment" is intact. And despite the implications of this article, their fantasy remains intact. What else should they expect?

You seem to be excusing a crime just because YOU deem that stuff isnt valuable.  Value is based no what someone is willing to pay.  If you dont want to pay for it, fine.  Its of no value to you.  But to those that do, its still a crime.  Even for the Giants organization to lie about it and certify it makes it a crime, a crime Eli is willingly a part of.

Whatever you're opinion on "game-worn" jersey, gloves, helmets, ect.. is totally irrelevant. What he bought was marketed as something else.and he probably paid an extensive amount for what he thought was the real thing.

You seem to be excusing a crime just because YOU deem that stuff isnt valuable.  Value is based no what someone is willing to pay.  If you dont want to pay for it, fine.  Its of no value to you.  But to those that do, its still a crime.  Even for the Giants organization to lie about it and certify it makes it a crime, a crime Eli is willingly a part of.

Whatever you're opinion on "game-worn" jersey, gloves, helmets, ect.. is totally irrelevant. What he bought was marketed as something else.and he probably paid an extensive amount for what he thought was the real thing.

A "crime" would be if he personally sold 150 different people helmets with a certification that each one was THE one that was worn during his SB winning drive. That's called fraud. I only read the one article, but it doesn't suggest anything like that. I'd need to hear a LOT more to be concerned one iota.

All the article suggests is that an equipment manager wandered up and said "Eli, I need to take your helmet to satisfy one of those annoying team mandated game worn equipment promotions.". Maybe it happened a few times, including once for the HOF. All Eli did is say "I don't want to give up my helmet, I like that helmet. It takes me a month to break in a new one during which my ears bleed from the friction, and it detracts from my ability to do my job. Here, I'll sign THIS helmet for you instead."

Eli wouldn't have gotten one more dime than he would have gotten otherwise, and I'd be willing to bet that he'd have been willing to pay to NOT give up his helmet if that was allowed. The fans got what they wanted - an illusion that they can resell at their leisure thanks to the teams certification. Who suffered a loss? Certainly not the person who started the lawsuit, because the only way that he would suffer a loss is if possible buyers became aware that HIS particular item is invalid, and that's only happened because of HIS lawsuit. I assume that the guy filling the lawsuit is hoping to make more money from the suit than he might have from the equipment - so who's ethics are in question again? This hardly rises to the level of crime - even if proved true which would seem to be impossible. If more comes out that is damning I'll amend my comments, but I just don't much at this point.

A "crime" would be if he personally sold 150 different people helmets with a certification that each one was THE one that was worn during his SB winning drive. That's called fraud. I only read the one article, but it doesn't suggest anything like that. I'd need to hear a LOT more to be concerned one iota.

All the article suggests is that an equipment manager wandered up and said "Eli, I need to take your helmet to satisfy one of those annoying team mandated game worn equipment promotions.". Maybe it happened a few times, including once for the HOF. All Eli did is say "I don't want to give up my helmet, I like that helmet. It takes me a month to break in a new one during which my ears bleed from the friction, and it detracts from my ability to do my job. Here, I'll sign THIS helmet for you instead."

Eli wouldn't have gotten one more dime than he would have gotten otherwise, and I'd be willing to bet that he'd have been willing to pay to NOT give up his helmet if that was allowed. The fans got what they wanted - an illusion that they can resell at their leisure thanks to the teams certification. Who suffered a loss? Certainly not the person who started the lawsuit, because the only way that he would suffer a loss is if possible buyers became aware that HIS particular item is invalid, and that's only happened because of HIS lawsuit. I assume that the guy filling the lawsuit is hoping to make more money from the suit than he might have from the equipment - so who's ethics are in question again? This hardly rises to the level of crime - even if proved true which would seem to be impossible. If more comes out that is damning I'll amend my comments, but I just don't much at this point.

Again, you are still excusing a crime based on your own belief of what should be deemed a crime.  Fraud is Fraud period, in any form.  A fan doesnt buy for an illusion, they buy for what they believe to be true from someone who they trust. 

Would you use this logic for any other piece of historical memorabilia? If a Museum had an auction where they sold a fake samurai sword from feudal japan for $15MM and gave him a certificate of authenticity would you still stick with your illusion reasoning to justify it? I mean, as long as the guy who bought it doesn't know he didn't get what he paid for then it doesn't matter, right?

Just adding a link with a little more info:

Eli Manning and the New York Giants will wage a battle against what they called a meritless lawsuit filed Wednesday in New Jersey that claims that the quarterback and his team sold bogus “game-worn” jerseys, helmets and other bogus collectibles to unsuspecting customers.

“The Giants told me this suit is completely without merit and I have no reason to believe otherwise,” Manning said Thursday as his brother Peyton prepared to play in Sunday's Super Bowl. “The Giants are going to fight it and so will I.”

The New Jersey memorabilia dealer who filed the suit, in fact, has a dubious past — even by the dog-eat-dog standards of the sports collectibles industry. Eric Inselberg, who filed the complaint in Bergen County Superior Court, was linked in 2007 to a fake Michael Jordan warmup jacket scam that helped spark an exhaustive Chicago FBI investigation into fraud and corruption in the sports memorabilia industry that continues to this day.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-lawsuit-manning-team-fake-memorabilia-merit-article-1.1596396

So Eli Manning is accused of signing & later selling helmet & other NFL merchandise to collectors that he didn't actually wear during a game? Is that the alleged crime here? Fraud like MAC said.

I will admit that I am extremely biased in favor of the entire Manning family & if I was on a jury concerning a case like this one that went to trial I would have to step down & recuse myself because I could be impartial here. 

Unless we are talking about millions of dollars in merchandise here, I highly doubt that the collector in question would lose his livelihood or reputation as a seller over this alleged crime. How in the world do you confirm that Eli did not wear the gear the collector is trying to sell? And what DA is going to prosecute a 2 time SB Champion QB on the word of no name sports collector? That's not happening. 

Is this just a ploy to grab headlines simply because Eli's brother is playing in the SB on February 2nd? Sounds like it to me. 

Would you use this logic for any other piece of historical memorabilia? If a Museum had an auction where they sold a fake samurai sword from feudal japan for $15MM and gave him a certificate of authenticity would you still stick with your illusion reasoning to justify it? I mean, as long as the guy who bought it doesn't know he didn't get what he paid for then it doesn't matter, right?

Clearly unrelated. The people bought official Giants equipment including some signed by Eli Manning. Was it a fake helmet? Was it a fake signature? A better comparison would be if they were certifying that said sword was used in a famous battle by a famous samurai, when in actuality it was the samurai's "backup" sword.

The value is that it's a real sword (or helmet). Paying a significant premium based on said item having been in a specific location at a specific moment in time is a tenuous proposition in the first place that REQUIRES a leap of faith bordering on illusion.

Again, you are still excusing a crime based on your own belief of what should be deemed a crime.  Fraud is Fraud period, in any form.  A fan doesnt buy for an illusion, they buy for what they believe to be true from someone who they trust. 

I've read a couple of more articles about this now. The charges are coming from a collector who had a relationship with the Giants. He was sued, claims that he was ruined as a result, and this is his revenge. It is impossible to tell whether the allegations are real, but the guy is pointing fingers at the  Giants front office - which is odd considering that the Giants had him bring collectibles (including supposedly fraudulent ones) back to their premises to set up a display, while naming him "Giants Memorabilia Curator". The Giants rather wealthy owners - who really have no need to risk a decades long reputation for the chump change involved - are pushing back and claiming innocence. Eli doesn't exactly need the money either.

One name that keeps popping up in this is the Giants equipment manager - who is directly involved in the transactions with the collector and likely isn't quite as wealthy as the owners. My point all along has been that characterizing Eli's actions in this as criminal is a serious reach. Buy if ANYTHING comes of this, perhaps it's that this gentleman was using his middleman position to supplement his income. That doesn't get as much attention in a thread title though - does it?

Just adding a link with a little more info:

Eli Manning and the New York Giants will wage a battle against what they called a meritless lawsuit filed Wednesday in New Jersey that claims that the quarterback and his team sold bogus “game-worn” jerseys, helmets and other bogus collectibles to unsuspecting customers.

“The Giants told me this suit is completely without merit and I have no reason to believe otherwise,” Manning said Thursday as his brother Peyton prepared to play in Sunday's Super Bowl. “The Giants are going to fight it and so will I.”

The New Jersey memorabilia dealer who filed the suit, in fact, has a dubious past — even by the dog-eat-dog standards of the sports collectibles industry. Eric Inselberg, who filed the complaint in Bergen County Superior Court, was linked in 2007 to a fake Michael Jordan warmup jacket scam that helped spark an exhaustive Chicago FBI investigation into fraud and corruption in the sports memorabilia industry that continues to this day.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-lawsuit-manning-team-fake-memorabilia-merit-article-1.1596396

Eli Manning is under no obligation to prove his innocence. This NJ dealer must provide the burden of proof verifying that Eli willingly knew that the NY Giants merchandise was indeed fake & that he knowingly participated in a conspiracy scheme to sell inauthentically worn equipment  for personal profit. Eli is already rich why would he do this? He is not exactly poor or living on minimum wage now is he?

This case will get thrown out of court by a judge I can almost guarantee it. 

In a perfect world, the chain of custody debate sounds legitimate enough, but regarding rare pieces in a museum, if you go back several centuries or more on a landmark item it is possible to have documentation on something that you can not track back to it's 1st owner or historical dynasty. It happens as an archivist myself, I can confirm that fact personally in a few unique cases. Rare items are usually cataloged based on their monetary value, intrinsic or symbolic value, & who possessed or wrote the document or item in question over a prolonged period of time that hopefully has been kept in pristine condition.

MAC's samurai sword is a perfect example actually. Can a certificate of authenticity verify that a sword is linked to a specific dynasty? Sure, but the paper is meaningless next to an established historian/appraiser who can validate the markings on the sword securing it's legitimacy overall. A piece of paper is nice, but it means nothing next to a true Japanese sword historian who can put all your knock off fears at bay permanently.  

Fraud like MAC said.

MAC's samurai sword is a perfect example actually.

I feel compelled to point out that you've referenced me twice as if we are on the same page, but I'm not sure that we are. I didn't say that fraud was committed, I was refuting someone else's insinuations regarding Eli by giving an example of something that WOULD in comparison constitute a criminal act. And I didn't offer the samurai sword example, I was refuting Dustin's example. :P

Of course we seem to agree that it seems unlikely that Eli is a master criminal whatever is going on here.

Clearly unrelated. The people bought official Giants equipment including some signed by Eli Manning. Was it a fake helmet? Was it a fake signature? A better comparison would be if they were certifying that said sword was used in a famous battle by a famous samurai, when in actuality it was the samurai's "backup" sword.

The value is that it's a real sword (or helmet). Paying a significant premium based on said item having been in a specific location at a specific moment in time is a tenuous proposition in the first place that REQUIRES a leap of faith bordering on illusion.

You know that is a fascinating question MAC. Is the buyer purchasing authentic NFL apparel or the memory of a famous game in which that uniform was truly worn? To put it another way, a rich collector can buy what he believes to be a rare copy of the Declaration of Independence, but there is no way to confirm the 1st founding father who signed it. 

My point is this: You can't live vicariously through another person's memory thinking that you the purchaser is somehow directly tied to what Eli Manning did in that helmet or jersey yourself. Just like studying the birth of America doesn't make you Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson, or John Hancock no matter how long you stare & try & duplicate their signatures. Also, considering that most serious NFL enthusiasts would never wear the helmet in question or jersey choosing to keep it under strict relative humidity & environmental conditions for safe keeping, I would also agree with MAC a third time saying in my own words that as long as the item has an official NFL shield on it that is the only guarantee a fan is entitled to in the end.  

I feel compelled to point out that you've referenced me twice as if we are on the same page, but I'm not sure that we are. I didn't say that fraud was committed, I was refuting someone else's insinuations regarding Eli by giving an example of something that WOULD in comparison constitute a criminal act. And I didn't offer the samurai sword example, I was refuting Dustin's example. :P

Of course we seem to agree that it seems unlikely that Eli is a master criminal whatever is going on here.

Neither did I actually MAC. I was inquiring or inferring that if Eli Manning was charged with a crime & I doubt that he will be...Fraud would be the alleged charge on the criminal indictment if it was filed, but the case will be dismissed long before then IMO. 

I was not claiming that you believed that Eli Manning was guilty of committing any crime. My apologizes if I was not clear in my previous replies. It was more speculation on my part of what the NJ dealer would be seeking a financial settlement for. Nothing more than brainstorming outloud. 

Yes, I am also aware of whose perspective you were refuting & why you were indeed disagreeing politely with Dustin's point of view which I happen to concur with actually. I hope that clears up any ambiguity on my part. 

Eli Manziel  :funny:

I must admit that Johnny Manziel did pop into my head briefly like a sarcastic comical voice going off inside my head PAC56. LOL! 

Eli didn't do this, but I did allow my mind to go there for about 12 seconds. You know like a funny Saturday Night Live skit that no one takes seriously & everyone laughs at in jest. 

This is going to be a big deal

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/01/30/manning-lawsuit-will-rattle-12-billion-dollar-sports-memorabilia-business/

According to a 2012 study done by SportsmeMorabilia.com, the market for licensed (unsigned) sports merchandise is $12 billion, with the autographed market estimated to be $1.5 billion (the average order value of autographed memorabilia is $180, but can reach as high as $300), with NFL memorabilia leading the way with 34% of total autographed memorabilia sales, followed b Major League Baseball at 26%.

The lawsuit first reported by the New York Post today that claims the New York Giants and the NFL team’s quarterback, Eli Manning, engaged in the fraudulent distribution of Giants memorabilia, will rock the industry even if the suit is without merit as the team claims.

Why?

The Post: “Some of Manning’s alleged fakes were sold through famed memorabilia house Steiner Sports, with whom he had an exclusive deal. Steiner, believing its items to be authentic, sold them “to unwitting customers and sent them via the mail,” the suit says. Angry buyers started to complain after noticing that markings on their items didn’t match those that appeared in pictures of Manning’s game-day duds. But Manning told Steiner (not named as a defendant) they were legit, and Steiner resold returned helmets to other buyers, the suit claims.”

Just to clarify, my comments are focused on Eli. I think that the phrase "possible in on selling fake memorabilia"" is out of context and sensationalizes the story at Eli's expense. That's what started a discussion that's gone off on some odd trajectories.

What I personally think of the idea of paying a premium for "game worn" equipment is irrelevant, and I'm certainly not defending the concept of defrauding people by selling willfully miss categorized items. However the devil is in the details, and there is a big difference between (for instance) a retailer systematically fabricating and marketing unauthentic products for his personal profit, or a Giants staff member systematically contributing to the same for his personal profit, or a Giants executive instructing staff members to systematically miss-label and and sell items to benefit his employers (or himself personally) - and what Eli is being accused of. The potential proceeds are pocket change to him, and he would earn the same amount regardless of whether the items are truly game worn or not. I don't see how he is even being accused of a "crime". He's the source of the value. They could relabel the "fraudulent" items "personally selected and signed by Eli because he didn't want to part with  ___________" and they would STILLl be attractive collectibles.

Just to clarify, my comments are focused on Eli. I think that the phrase "possible in on selling fake memorabilia"" is out of context and sensationalizes the story at Eli's expense. That's what started a discussion that's gone off on some odd trajectories.

What I personally think of the idea of paying a premium for "game worn" equipment is irrelevant, and I'm certainly not defending the concept of defrauding people by selling willfully miss categorized items. However the devil is in the details, and there is a big difference between (for instance) a retailer systematically fabricating and marketing unauthentic products for his personal profit, or a Giants staff member systematically contributing to the same for his personal profit, or a Giants executive instructing staff members to systematically miss-label and and sell items to benefit his employers (or himself personally) - and what Eli is being accused of. The potential proceeds are pocket change to him, and he would earn the same amount regardless of whether the items are truly game worn or not. I don't see how he is even being accused of a "crime". He's the source of the value. They could relabel the "fraudulent" items "personally selected and signed by Eli because he didn't want to part with ___________" and they would STILLl be attractive collectibles.

if what nadine posted above is true... Manning is definitely in on it and can be held responsible/accountable.

the only out he has is if they brought it to him telling him it was the the exact one. Misleading him. But that befs the question why? Where then did the actual one go to. Its hard to say manning isnt in on it.

No way! He's got Manning blood. They're gods.

I think you are being facetious ~  maybe not ~

In any event,  I truly believe Eli is innocent, and a victim here.   And the "timing" suggests intent on the part of the person filing the suit to portray negativity on the Manning Family, and the NY Giants during the week leading up to the Super Bowl.

I guess we'll all just have to wait and see how it plays out.   :dunno:

Yeah...with that kind of money sloshing around the memorabilia market and a situation with Steiner's, who Eli had a deal with, and with serious collectors involved....it sure as heck isn't headed for small claims court.

The dealer's credibility...to the extent that credibility is available in that trade...has been tarnished, and its hard to envision some judge simply handing down a "buyer beware" slap on the wrist IF these accounts are true, even though its obvious that buyers SHOULD beware.

The problem is that only way to truly beware is not to buy any of this stuff for a penny more than you'd buy an authentic piece of NFL equipment. But that's not reality and it sounds like a legally run dealer and its collectors may have been filched, and it will indeed hurt the memorabilia business in general. 

And IF Eli and the Giants people knew that ordinary items were being sold as actual game-worn items...knowing full-well the higher price that fetches from collectors....then it is dishonest and a black eye for him no matter how we spin it.

Personally, I don't get the insane fervor and $$$ over sports memorabilia....but that's just my opinion. I have a few Colts jerseys and T's that I wear just the same as any other shirt, and a Colts toothbrush that I use to clean aircraft tools and parts with.

If Eli wants to make a few extra shekels, he could always open some Papa John's pizza joints. Oh wait....it's New Jersey...that won't work either, they like real pizza there.

Does Eli get cash from such sell?

If not then all Eli did was probably idont want to give this helmet up, give him another I'll sign it.

IF someone then sells that as authentic then that dude is comitting a crime.

if eli is selling it as game worn, promotting it and getting money then heck yea he is comitting a crime

Yeah...with that kind of money sloshing around the memorabilia market and a situation with Steiner's, who Eli had a deal with, and with serious collectors involved....it sure as heck isn't headed for small claims court.

The dealer's credibility...to the extent that credibility is available in that trade...has been tarnished, and its hard to envision some judge simply handing down a "buyer beware" slap on the wrist IF these accounts are true, even though its obvious that buyers SHOULD beware.

The problem is that only way to truly beware is not to buy any of this stuff for a penny more than you'd buy an authentic piece of NFL equipment. But that's not reality and it sounds like a legally run dealer and its collectors may have been filched, and it will indeed hurt the memorabilia business in general. 

And IF Eli and the Giants people knew that ordinary items were being sold as actual game-worn items...knowing full-well the higher price that fetches from collectors....then it is dishonest and a black eye for him no matter how we spin it.

Personally, I don't get the insane fervor and $$$ over sports memorabilia....but that's just my opinion. I have a few Colts jerseys and T's that I wear just the same as any other shirt, and a Colts toothbrush that I use to clean aircraft tools and parts with.

If Eli wants to make a few extra shekels, he could always open some Papa John's pizza joints. Oh wait....it's New Jersey...that won't work either, they like real pizza there.

it's like anything else that people collect.  

the value is in its authenticity.  Everybody knows that so I would think that all involved would protect that like crazy.

Doesn't make any sense for Eli to monkey with what he was turning over as authentic.

But,collectors have eagle eyes so, I would think something is amiss

BTW that's how I feel about papa johns pizza, I know a lot of people like it but I'd rather have about any frozen pizza

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 31, 2014 - rude
Hidden by Nadine, January 31, 2014 - rude

the value is in its authenticity.  Everybody knows that so I would think that all involved would protect that like crazy.

Doesn't make any sense for Eli to monkey with what he was turning over as authentic.

BTW that's how I feel about papa johns pizza, I know a lot of people like it but I'd rather have about any frozen pizza

What the   Hell  does Papa John' s Pizza have to do with this thread :???:

What does Papa John's Pizza have to do with this thread :dunno:  Just curious 

What does Papa John's Pizza have to do with this thread :dunno:  Just curious 

Not much - just a joke.

And as someone from NJ I can wholeheartedly endorse that comment. My poor brother has been suffering in Dallas for decades.

Can't get a real bagel either.