Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chelsea_fc First FA/Mock Draft

Its been a long time since I last posted here, but this is always my favorite thing to do and I always like seeing what you guys have to say about this.

First I'm going to start off with who we sign in the offseason, then who we resign, then who we cut, followed up by who we draft, and then finally a look at the 2014 roster (through my eyes at least).

SIGNINGS:

-  Geoff Schwartz, G

-  Brian de la Puente, C

-  Brandon Spikes, ILB

-  Linval Joseph, DT

I don't have the Colts signing too many free agents, I think a lot of our money will go to resigning some of our own guys.  One important thing with the FA signings is fixing the Offensive Line, I believe it is smarter to do this through FA then drafting (for our purposes anyways).  Geoff could start or be a rotational guy for us and provide good depth and Brian will come in and be our starting center.  Brandon Spikes can be our thumper in the middle, he is a liability in coverage, so we can send Freeman out to cover and Spikes can stay in the box or get after the QB.  Joseph provides us with depth along the defensive line.

RESIGNING'S:

- Vontae Davis, CB

- Josh Gordy, CB

- Antoine Bethea, S

- Sergio Brown, S/ST

- Fili Moala, DE

- Joe Reitz, LT

- Donald Brown, RB

- Chris Rainey, RB

- Pat McAfee, P

- Adam Vinatieri, K

Vontae should be top priority this offseason, followed closely by Donald Brown.  Brown has showed us his worth this season and I believe he should be brought back.  Josh Gordy has played well when given the chance and I believe he can be a good rotational back.  Sergio Brown has been solid all year on special teams, Pat McAfee should be brought back if the price is right and Adam Vinatieri has his job as long as he does not retire.

CUT:

- Sampson Satele, C

No Toler does not need to be cut, he is still a good corner, let him heal up over the offseason.  However, Sampson has got to go, he has been bad all year and we can do far better.

2014 DRAFT:

- Round 2:  Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt

- Round 3:  Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech

- Round 5:  Rashaad Reynolds, CB, Oregon State

- Round 6:  Alden Darby, S, Arizona State

- Round 7:  Preston Brown, ILB, Louisville

I believe we should go heavy defense in the draft, it is the weakest part of our team and a strong defensive draft should pay high dividends for us.  Some may get upset about no WR but we are only going to carry 5 on the roster next year and with Reggie coming back we have 5 very capable WR's.

Aaron Donald is a stud at the DT position, he may not fall this far but I can dream.  Him and Jeremiah would make this draft, we have to get pressure on the QB next year and this happens to be both their specialties.  Aaron had 11 sacks and 27.5 TFL this season and Jeremiah had 12.5 sacks and 16 TFL.  Pressuring the QB will in turn make our secondary better automatically.

Rashaad Reynolds is I believe a very underrated corner and could be a good find for us in the 5th round.  He would take the place of Cassius and we all know thats not a bad thing.  Alden Darby is a safety that is good in coverage, he can come in and help with the rotation and let LaRon stay in the box and do what he does best.

Lastly Preston Brown in my opinion is one of the better ILB in the draft, he dissects plays well and can be sneaky good pick in the later rounds.

COLTS 2014 ROSTER:

OFFENSE

QB - Andrew Luck, Matt Hasselbeck

RB - Vick Ballard, Donald Brown, Trent Richardson, Chris Rainey

FB - Stanley Havili

WR - Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Da'Rick Rogers, Griff Whalen, LaVon Brazill

TE - Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, Weslye Saunders

LT - Anthony Castanzo, Joe Reitz

LG - Donald Thomas, Goeff Schwartz

C - Brian de la Puente, Khaled Holmes

RG - Hugh Thornton, Mike McGlynn

RT - Gosder Cherilus

DEFENSE

DE - Cory Redding, Fili Moala

NT - Josh Chapman, Linval Joseph

DT - Ricky Jean Francois, Aaron Donald, Montori Hughes

LOLB - Eric Walden, Bjoern Werner

ILB - Jerrell Freeman, Brandon Spikes, Josh McNary, Kelvin Sheppard, Preston Brown

ROLB - Robery Mathis, Jeremiah Attaochu

RCB - Vontae Davis, Rashaad Reynolds

LCB - Greg Toler, Darius Butler, Josh Gordy

SS - LaRon Landry, Delano Howell

FS - Antoine Bethea, Alden Darby, Sergio Brown

SPECIAL TEAMS

K - Adam Vinatieri

P - Pat McAfee

LS - Matt Overton

Ok so there you have it, I welcome all feed back, it'll help me the next time I do this.  But I think this would be a great offseason for us and help us remain in contention for the Lombardi.

And always, GO COLTS.

I agree with most of this. Would like to see another O Lineman for depth instead of someone like Sheppard (just don't rate the guy too highly). Also i think Doyle should be our no.3 TE over Saunders.

Agree with keeping the WR's we have got, except DHB. They really have come along the past few weeks.

One thing I really disagree with is the whole Chelsea thing :)haha (man city fan)

I don't want Toler back.  I want them to replace him with someone like shields or verner. Who are more durable.  

I can agree with this, Toler frustrates me more often then not.  I just do not see the front office cutting him after one year.  I see them giving him one more shot and provide more depth for the position in the draft.

Also, with having to resign Vontae and adding someone like Verner or Shields, the Colts would more than likely have to use 17-20 million in cap space.  Thats an aweful lot on just 2 spots.

Lastly, if we improve our pass rush, I think that can cover for some of the poor secondary.  When the Colts got pressure this year, the secondary looked very solid.

I agree with most of this. Would like to see another O Lineman for depth instead of someone like Sheppard (just don't rate the guy too highly). Also i think Doyle should be our no.3 TE over Saunders.

Agree with keeping the WR's we have got, except DHB. They really have come along the past few weeks.

One thing I really disagree with is the whole Chelsea thing :)haha (man city fan)

haha It must be a rough season for you then.  Moyes currently has you guys middle of the pack in the premiership, and just got booted from the FA yesterday.  Wonder how long he will be around...

Gotta stick with my boys though, been a lifelong Chelsea fan.

Toler will be back injuries happen not saying 8 weeks for a groin doesn't make him a wimp but hey it happens I would give him one more season and if he is no better next year then cut him.

If I am not mistaken he was injured a lot on Cardinals and now it continues I don't no his cap space but I would look else where if cap hit is ok

Not saying he's gonna be him, but Geno Atkins is 6'1 300 lbs and he's done pretty well. Aaron can add some weight and you can't argue with his production.

He doesn't seem to fit what this regime looks for in a down linemen....size wise

He doesn't seem to fit what this regime looks for in a down linemen....size wise

Maybe, but what he can do that fits is help collapse the pocket so the QB can't step up. Something our defensive line failed miserably at this year. He is a very disruptive defensive lineman.

I'm not saying I would be heartbroken if we didn't go this direction I'm the draft. But it would be nice to see an emphasis made here in the draft.

I like the signing of De la Puente but i would switch Joseph with Arthur Jones, both are good players but Jones is natural fit in the 3-4. Would start Jones over RJF he's bigger, stronger, better against the run. RJF should only be used on passing downs.

Not sure about Spikes, good vs the run but can't cover. Were getting Thomas back and Thornton has improved a lot, also have Reitz and Nixon as backups so guard won't be a need. If were not signing a CB we have to draft one early and a guy who has good ball skills.

Draft

2 A.J Johnson ILB

3 E.J Gaines CB

5 Deandre Coleman DE 

If I am not mistaken he was injured a lot on Cardinals and now it continues I don't no his cap space but I would look else where if cap hit is ok

If the colts save money by releasing him then ya im all for it he was listed as probable for the  game the other night and he was horrible didn't look himself but he got beat a lot when he was healthy now that I think about it go get that guy from GB.

haha It must be a rough season for you then.  Moyes currently has you guys middle of the pack in the premiership, and just got booted from the FA yesterday.  Wonder how long he will be around...

Gotta stick with my boys though, been a lifelong Chelsea fan.

Thats fair enough. i'll let you off then haha

And i said City not United haha, it's not been so bad for us. Got to stick with teams in blue shirts huh? haha:)

If the colts save money by releasing him then ya im all for it he was listed as probable for the  game the other night and he was horrible didn't look himself but he got beat a lot when he was healthy now that I think about it go get that guy from GB.

Agreed he is not on the field enough they should look else where if they can save money

I really, REALLY like Aaron Donald, but I don't think he's a good fit for our defensive front. I'd like to try to find a way to fit him in, which is doable considering how much we run nickel with a modified front anyways. But I think we'd be wasting his talents trying to make him a five tech, and I think our run defense would suffer as well. 

I would let the bulk of our free agents go actually.

I would let Vontae Davis go and go HARD after Alterraun Verner from the Titans. Davis is too inconsistent and appeared far too disinterested at times. That lackluster focus and dedication is why Miami let him go.

I would also look at letting McAfee and Bethea go. Bethea does not make enough plays and McAfee is too expensive for a punter. There are far too many guys who can kickoff into the endzone to pay McAfee more than $3 million per year.

I would re-sign Vinatieri.