Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alex Smith

dw49

I think Luck had an interception in the first half....

I don't think his first int. came after KC had 31 points....    I could be wrong on that....

But my larger point is the difference between being a hero and goat is often very small things and some of those things are out of your control.

I'd like to see more people praising Smith here.....    he was tremendous.     But that one pass where he over-threw the RB up the far sidelines will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Luck...........  despite 3 interceptions and a handful of other very poor passes,  was spectacular....    people will be talking about this for decades....

Well.....       everyone EXCEPT Skip Bayless!!         :thmup:

1:51 left to go in 2nd Quarter he threw an Int

I don't think his first int. came after KC had 31 points....    I could be wrong on that....

But my larger point is the difference between being a hero and goat is often very small things and some of those things are out of your control.

I'd like to see more people praising Smith here.....    he was tremendous.     But that one pass where he over-threw the RB up the far sidelines will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Luck...........  despite 3 interceptions and a handful of other very poor passes,  was spectacular....    people will be talking about this for decades....

NCF..

Skip will dwell on the 3 picks..and say that TY Hilton won the game....I'll bet

I have to tip my hat to him. He played a great game . No Charles and a bunch of great throws and runs. The one pass he overthrew was a little tough as it was a RB that he missed. He really didn't deserve to lose that game ... 

I don't think Alex was great..

Only one turnovers, yes....he was good....but he does does odd things under pressure..like the inententional grounding.

..and why are they still throw the ball 2 of 3 downs up 17?

Change the play..Colts cant stop the run well....change the call

The difference is that if the Chiefs were down 28, he would not be able to bring them back. That's what separates him from Luck.

Agree.  

And let's not forget that the Chiefs got the ball back with over 4 min to play and only needed a FG to win.  And they didn't.  Kudos to the D for finally doing something, but in reality, KC had plenty of time to win the game, and that falls on Smith.  If the roles were reversed, and Indy had the ball, only needed a FG to win, and had four min....I would believe they would do it.  Because of Luck. 

What I had was correct. Luck's first int came when we were down 31-10 . I never said it wasn't in the 1st half... it came with about 25 seconds remaining. Then the second was the first play of the second half. I think Andrew figured the Chiefs would be giving a cushion on a short throw like that . It was no doubt a bonehead throw . The one that ended the first half was him trying to force it down 31-10 .. another bad throw but if not down by 21 , he probably doesn't make that throw. The 3rd int was not a good throw but should not have been a INT. But yeah .. if the game ended up like 42 -28 , Luck would have taken criticism for the picks. Thing is ... we won and he's a stud for throwing 4 TDs and running for another.

I thought Smith played a great game and that was the theme of this thread.. which I started. BTW... not looking to argue with you as you're a good forum member.

Agree.  

And let's not forget that the Chiefs got the ball back with over 4 min to play and only needed a FG to win.  And they didn't.  Kudos to the D for finally doing something, but in reality, KC had plenty of time to win the game, and that falls on Smith.  If the roles were reversed, and Indy had the ball, only needed a FG to win, and had four min....I would believe they would do it.  Because of Luck. 

They also got a 23 yard gift as they completed an 18 yard pass when our guys stopped playing because of the obvious penalty.

What I had was correct. Luck's first int came when we were down 31-10 . I never said it wasn't in the 1st half... it came with about 25 seconds remaining. Then the second was the first play of the second half. I think Andrew figured the Chiefs would be giving a cushion on a short throw like that . It was no doubt a bonehead throw . The one that ended the first half was him trying to force it down 31-10 .. another bad throw but if not down by 21 , he probably doesn't make that throw. The 3rd int was not a good throw but should not have been a INT. But yeah .. if the game ended up like 42 -28 , Luck would have taken criticism for the picks. Thing is ... we won and he's a stud for throwing 4 TDs and running for another.

I thought Smith played a great game and that was the theme of this thread.. which I started. BTW... not looking to argue with you as you're a good forum member.

Thanks for the clarification and the kind words, DW....   and right back at you!

I wasn't trying to single out you, or anyone else specifically.....

Just the overall tone of the thread....    when we win,  I want to be gracious and classy and high minded....   I want to build UP my opponents,  not say anything negative.    There's always time to say something negative later....

But when we win like this.....   I want the positive flowing like crazy!

I'm so excited for the good people of Indianapolis.....   Heck, even my wife sat down and watched (because she knows I love Luck)  and she started yelling and screaming..... it was cute as all Heck to watch her go nuts during our comeback!

Fun night!   And enjoy tomorrow too.....   But Monday,  we start all over again with an eye on either New England or Denver....

Oh.....  by the way,  I've already looked at the weather for both cities....  and so far the long range forecasts are not too terrible.  That might change in the next week or so...    but not the worst winter weather in either city as of now....

I don't think his first int. came after KC had 31 points.... I could be wrong on that....

I'd like to see more people praising Smith here..... he was tremendous. But that one pass where he over-threw the RB up the far sidelines will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Luck........... despite 3 interceptions and a handful of other very poor passes, was spectacular.... people will be talking about this for decades....

Well..... everyone EXCEPT Skip Bayless!! :thmup:

Luck threw his first INT after having been sacked and trying to make a play with little to no time at the end of the second.

Score was 31-10 at the time.

He was forcing the issue without question.

Smith was great and anytime your offense scores 44 points you should win. The defense (or lack of in the second half) cost them the game.

Having said that, id take Luck in a heartbeat over him for the exact type of craziness he pulled off today. Probably only guys like Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc are capable of pulling off a comeback like that (and shaking off terrible throws like Luck made).

Didn't you argue with Superman that Brady deserved credit for the win in Baltimore when Brady had a poor game, but finally came up clutch at the end? You either have to credit Luck or not give credit to Brady. You can't have it both ways. A lot of credit should go to Luck for putting the bad first half and putting together a great second half.

Without a doubt. Winning is what is most important and you will never hear an argument from me on a player like Luck who is most like Brady when the game is on the line. Being clutch is most important IMO especially in big games. But three picks is not a good game and probably one he should have lost but that was big time what he did.

I think what is tough with this whole argument of stats vs wins is all the things a QB does that does not appear on a stat sheet like his decision-making or awareness to scoop a fumble like Luck did and score with it. Situationally I think Luck is one of the top QBs. He is fearless and believes he will win and wills his teammates to come alongside him.

The next round will be much tougher no matter who he plays and for sure he will need to cut down on the mistakes to give his team a chance. Also the Colts D needs to show up in the first half too. ;)

Without a doubt. Winning is what is most important and you will never hear an argument from me on a player like Luck who is most like Brady when the game is on the line. Being clutch is most important IMO especially in big games. But three picks is not a good game and probably one he should have lost but that was big time what he did.

I think what is tough with this whole argument of stats vs wins is all the things a QB does that does not appear on a stat sheet like his decision-making or awareness to scoop a fumble like Luck did and score with it. Situationally I think Luck is one of the top QBs. He is fearless and believes he will win and wills his teammates to come alongside him.

The next round will be much tougher no matter who he plays and for sure he will need to cut down on the mistakes to give his team a chance. Also the Colts D needs to show up in the first half too. ;)

Yep. He has to do better than three INTs. Of course, I believe that the one at the end of the first half would not have happened if they hadn't been so far behind at the half, and the one that Hilton flung behind him right to the defender was as much on him as it was on Luck for throwing too far behind him. The only one I was really disappointed in was the one at the first of the 2nd half.

Honestly, I am less worried about Luck for the next game because he just faced the best defense he's likely to face in the AFC. However, the Colts defense has to face either Brady or Manning. They have to play better than they did yesterday. Peyton and Tom would have waxed them the way they played in the first half yesterday.

Yep. He has to do better than three INTs. Of course, I believe that the one at the end of the first half would not have happened if they hadn't been so far behind at the half, and the one that Hilton flung behind him right to the defender was as much on him as it was on Luck for throwing too far behind him. The only one I was really disappointed in was the one at the first of the 2nd half.

Honestly, I am less worried about Luck for the next game because he just faced the best defense he's likely to face in the AFC. However, the Colts defense has to face either Brady or Manning. They have to play better than they did yesterday. Peyton and Tom would have waxed them the way they played in the first half yesterday.

That was all on Luck, not on Hilton. The ball was enough behind him that Abdullah, had the better position to get the ball and with the added leverage from where the ball was thrown it was Abdullah that had most of the ball, and all TY could do was fight him for it, and try to strip it out, which he did try even as Abdullah was going out of bounds.

No way any receiver catches that ball..maybe a bigger stronger type receiver could possibly have worked it loose enough to cause bobbling and making it incomplete. But to put any blame on TY for that one is wrong..

Not trying to argue, but that is how I saw it.

The biggest part of the Colts being so far down, was the coaches choice to start Toler and Vontae, because obviously they were not 100 percent, and Toler, I think wasn't even 80. That TD to Avery was not that Toler got burnt, he was hobbling, trying to keep up with a speedster WR..KC saw that and was targeting Toler. The one Bowe broke, Toler missed a tackle on him, and it looked like he had no strength..I saw another play where Toler came up for run support and totally missed the back. Once Butler came in, until that missed pass by Smith, and the pass to Bowe, the deep passes basically stopped. Vontae played better than Toler, but he was hurting, and you could see it in his movements, not crisp and clear like normal.

Alex Smith played a whale of a game,,He deserves no blame..not even for missing that pass to a 3rd string RB on a deep sideline pass, when I know he hasn't spent a of of time working with. Their D is what let them down, and the Colts played lights out again, when they had to.

That was all on Luck, not on Hilton. The ball was enough behind him that Abdullah, had the better position to get the ball and with the added leverage from where the ball was thrown it was Abdullah that had most of the ball, and all TY could do was fight him for it, and try to strip it out, which he did try even as Abdullah was going out of bounds.

No way any receiver catches that ball..maybe a bigger stronger type receiver could possibly have worked it loose enough to cause bobbling and making it incomplete. But to put any blame on TY for that one is wrong..

The biggest part of the Colts being so far down, was the coaches choice to start Toler and Vontae, because obviously they were not 100 percent, and Toler, I think wasn't even 80. That TD to Avery was not that Toler got burnt, he was hobbling, trying to keep up with a speedster WR..KC saw that and was targeting Toler. The one Bowe broke, Toler missed a tackle on him, and it looked like he had no strength..I saw another play where Toler came up for run support and totally missed the back. Once Butler came in, until that missed pass by Smith, and the pass to Bowe, the deep passes basically stopped. Vontae played better than Toler, but he was hurting, and you could see it in his movements, not crisp and clear like normal.

Alex Smith played a whale of a game,,He deserves no blame..not even for missing that pass to a 3rd string RB on a deep sideline pass, when I know he hasn't spent a of of time working with. Their D is what let them down, and the Colts played lights out again, when they had to.

I said that Luck threw the ball behind him. But I also subscribe to the age old football philosophy that if you get both hands on it, you better come down with it. At the very least I think he should have batted it away. It is a receiver's duty to protect his quarterback when he makes an errant throw.

Bad throw, but TY got two hands on the ball, got to take some blame in that spot for not catching it.