Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL head coaching candidates

Superman

This is just off the top of my head, in no order. Please add to this as you see fit.

NFL assistants

Ken Whisenhunt (Chargers OC, HC experience)

Mike Zimmer (Bengals DC, has been a hot name for a couple years already)

Jay Gruden (Bengals OC)

Wade Phillips (Texans DC/interim HC, HC experience, probably not on anyone's short list)

Josh McDaniels (Patriots OC, HC experience)

Kyle Shanahan (Washington OC, probably not high on anyone's list after the year they've had)

Pete Carmichael (Saints OC, in Payton/Brees' shadow, but has been a candidate in the past)

Sean McDermott (Panthers DC, kind of young at 39/40, has done a nice job the past two years)

Ray Horton (Browns DC, got passed over in AZ after building a nasty defense)

Darell Bevell (Seahawks OC, has been in many places overseeing efficient WC offenses)

Dean Pees (Ravens DC, it's the pattern for Ravens DCs, and he's done a nice job there in his two years)

Greg Roman (Niners OC)

Todd Haley (Steelers OC, former HC, has helped Roethlisberger take fewer hits and increase his efficiency, despite Ben's protests)

Former NFL coaches

John Gruden

Lovie Smith

Brian Billick

Lane Kiffin (something about this guy that makes people want to hire him)

Eric Mangini

Bill Cowher

College prospects

David Shaw, Stanford

Bill O'Brien, Penn State (former Patriots assistant)

Urban Meyer, Ohio State (similar path to Jim Harbaugh, starting at smaller school and working his way up with success at every stop

Art Briles, Baylor (RG3's college coach)

James Franklin, Vanderbilt (was strongly considered for USC, recently recommended by an NFL panel)

Though I think he's an excellent coach, Brian Billick is 59 and has a pretty solid gig at NFL Network and FOX.  I'm not a big fan of Mangini as a head coach.  I think the "best" head coach out of the group you have listed is Kenny Whisenhunt

Yeah Billick might be a stretch, but he's the same age Shanahan and Carroll were when they were hired. And he made some comments last year about not being called for an interview, kind of sounded like he'd listen if the right opportunity came up. He also interviewed with the Eagles, after saying he didn't think he'd coach again. So I don't think he's ruled anything out definitively.

Might agree on Whisenhunt.

I think you can count those last 4 out on your Former NFL head coaches list, and I believe Gruden will stay at ESPN. So, Lovie seems to be the only legit candidate of the former coaches to get a job. 

Jay Gruden and Whisenhunt deserve a spot somewhere. I think Whisenhunt should go to Detroit and Gruden to Tampa.

This is just off the top of my head, in no order. Please add to this as you see fit.

NFL assistants

Ken Whisenhunt (Chargers OC, HC experience)

Mike Zimmer (Bengals DC, has been a hot name for a couple years already)

Jay Gruden (Bengals OC)

Wade Phillips (Texans DC/interim HC, HC experience, probably not on anyone's short list)

Josh McDaniels (Patriots OC, HC experience)

Kyle Shanahan (Washington OC, probably not high on anyone's list after the year they've had)

Pete Carmichael (Saints OC, in Payton/Brees' shadow, but has been a candidate in the past)

Sean McDermott (Panthers DC, kind of young at 39/40, has done a nice job the past two years)

Ray Horton (Browns DC, got passed over in AZ after building a nasty defense)

Darell Bevell (Seahawks OC, has been in many places overseeing efficient WC offenses)

Dean Pees (Ravens DC, it's the pattern for Ravens DCs, and he's done a nice job there in his two years)

Greg Roman (Niners OC)

Todd Haley (Steelers OC, former HC, has helped Roethlisberger take fewer hits and increase his efficiency, despite Ben's protests)

Former NFL coaches

John Gruden

Lovie Smith

Brian Billick

Lane Kiffin (something about this guy that makes people want to hire him)

Eric Mangini

Bill Cowher

Tom Cable can be added to both lists.

I think you can count those last 4 out on your Former NFL head coaches list, and I believe Gruden will stay at ESPN. So, Lovie seems to be the only legit candidate of the former coaches to get a job. 

Jay Gruden and Whisenhunt deserve a spot somewhere. I think Whisenhunt should go to Detroit and Gruden to Tampa.

Gruden to Tampa? I doubt he'd want to work for the Glazers. They have a bad reputation, and he's probably heard more horror stories than anyone else has.

Gruden to Tampa? I doubt he'd want to work for the Glazers. They have a bad reputation, and he's probably heard more horror stories than anyone else has.

He'd be a perfect fit there, despite the history with their brother. He does have a history with Tampa, and I wouldn't say it's a negative one.

The right coach is the right coach, and Jay doesn't necessarily have a bad reputation with them.

He'd be a perfect fit there, despite the history with their brother. He does have a history with Tampa, and I wouldn't say it's a negative one.

The right coach is the right coach, and Jay doesn't necessarily have a bad reputation with them.

I think he'd be a good hire, but it would surprise me if he'd agree to go there. Not because they fired his brother, but because the Glazers are bad owners. JMO

And I think he'll get interest from other teams as well. Mike Munchak has been sniffing around the Penn State job (should Bill O'Brien leave), and I think Jay Gruden would be a really good fit there.

I think he'd be a good hire, but it would surprise me if he'd agree to go there. Not because they fired his brother, but because the Glazers are bad owners. JMO

And I think he'll get interest from other teams as well. Mike Munchak has been sniffing around the Penn State job (should Bill O'Brien leave), and I think Jay Gruden would be a really good fit there.

Yeah, Gruden would fit in well in Tennessee, but if he's there, I don't see CJ2K being there.

I wouldn't be surprised. If Tampa is the best option, or the only option for Gruden, he should grab it. A head coaching job is a head coaching job.

If Whiz goes to Detroit, who goes to Houston? I dont believe they are seriously considering Lovie Smith, and the owner wants an offensive shift and a guy with Head Coaching experience.

If Whiz goes to Detroit, who goes to Houston? I dont believe they are seriously considering Lovie Smith, and the owner wants an offensive shift and a guy with Head Coaching experience.

Lots of great offensive minds out there, some with experience. Out of the guys Superman mentioned, there's Todd Haley, Bill O'Brien of Penn State, and there's McDaniels (although he won't move) with head coaching experience.

Those are tons of guys like Pete Carmichael jr, and Darrell Bevell who have shown they can coordinate a great offense. 

Lots of options out there.

Lots of great offensive minds out there, some with experience. Out of the guys Superman mentioned, there's Todd Haley, Bill O'Brien of Penn State, and there's McDaniels (although he won't move) with head coaching experience.

Those are tons of guys like Pete Carmichael jr, and Darrell Bevell who have shown they can coordinate a great offense.

Lots of options out there.

Now that you mention it, Haley stands out as a name I could see them persuing. Its been a very conservative organization with Rick Smith/Bob McNair running the show, and he fits with that sort of vibe.

Highly doubt John Gruden is done, He does all he can to contain himself from running out on the field himself during MNF broadcasts. Greg Romans shot is coming soon I think, Haley I think is done as a HC as is Wade Phillips, I think one is just to hot headed (Haley) and Phillips while a very good D Coordinator seems to lack the ability to lead an entire team and I think gets down to easy if his back is put against a wall and thats just not something you look for in a leader. Dont think anyone will hire Kiffin. Whisenhunt got a bit of a raw deal in Arizona to begin with I think, He helped turn that team around going 4-2 overall in the playoffs and within 30 seconds of a SB win.....My opinion...If he had a QB after Warner retired he might still be a HC.

Really REALLY hoping that Wiz will be with us for another year... I love what he's done with our offense and would love to see it further solidified before he has another gig of his own.

Sorry girlz, hes on a lot of short lists. He will be a head coach somewhere next year, the only question is where.