Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts from the Cardinals/Colts game The Knee jerk

Surge89

So I would love to do a good and bad looking here but man this team doesn't give me much good to see....

• The offense is done.  I'm still a supporter of Luck and Pep, but there are just 0 playmakers on the offensive side.  Very saddening to see Fleener regress again and TY just isn't  the type of receiver to throw us on his back every single game.  
  • Trent Richardson.  I didn't support the trade, still don't.  I understand that he has talent (lots of it) but the man just flat out has no vision.  He wasn't worth a first and giving up that first is going to hurt us in the future not just this year.  I'm no judging Grigs yet but he has made his next 3 years very tough without that first round pick.  That he didn't need to give up.
  • Defense.  This defense is flat out the most disappointing part of the team.  A unit who started off so well is just looking completely awful.  They have no excuse none at all.  And before anyone says injuries Toler? Walden?  I'm sorry those 2 are nobodies in comparison to the rest of the unit.  A defense that loses say Davis/Bethea/Landry/Mathis any of them should look like the defense we have now and guess what?  We look atrocious and that is with the supposed marquee players.
  • Coaching.  I have nothing against Pagano as a man, but he is in over his head at coach.  He doesn't seem to have much fight in him left...  Why are we holding onto timeouts?  Why do we refuse to look desperate when we are indeed desperate?  Why do we NEVER CHANGE positions?  Personnel needs to be messed with and Pagano is just not doing that.  Why is this team so ill prepared?  I didn't know what to think of Pagano when he first came over and Bruce took over last year.  But seeing a full body of work from him is just no leaving me with a satisfied taste in my mouth....  A team should be getting hot in November and this team looks ready for offseason...  In no way do I support Bruce as a playcaller/OC but the man knew how to prepare a team.  And in comparison the teams these 2 coaches coached look night and day.  Cardinals getting hot at the right time.  Colts fizzing out before seasons halfway....  Very disappointing...

I'm not sure how to feel about this team.  I do not doubt they have potential but there are flaws beyond the players that concern me.  We have Luck cheap right now and it seems like we are wasting valuable time to have a COMPLETE team around him.  Add insult to injury to know that we don't have a 1st in the next draft to get a playmaker on D or a solid G or C is even worse...  I'm very upset and as always this is the knee jerk, but man how can this team look so bad?  I think we as colts fans know a bad coached team from a good one and I'm not sure if we are looking at a good coached team right now.  That is a huge problem.

I really hope that Chuck goes into the film room and studies his own coaching. I love the guy... He gave this team an identity when it was so badly needed, but he needs to work on his coaching fundamentals.. I thought BA was bad with timeouts last year, but Chuck is worse..

The other major problem you hit on the head... lack of playmakers..  I'm sure that nobody would have projected our record to be as good as it is if they knew that we were going to lose so many guys on offense... I think they will be fine (except for the O-Line and possibly WRs) next season with very little turnover.

The defense is not as good as we would have expected... Davis has a bad game every 3 outings or so.. Toler is hurt all of the time.. Angerer needs to just retire already.. We have to get some playmakers on that side of the ball this offseason...  Draft for the defense and FA for the OL.. with the cash we will have, we could afford to add a few guys...

Fleener was non existing in both blocking and receiving until garbage time...  We need a playmaker to make a game changing play when the score is still remotely close...  That is what i meant by regressing.  He just doesn't do that.  He has gotten way better as of late but last game he didn't show up until the game was already done.

Fleener was non existing in both blocking and receiving until garbage time...  We need a playmaker to make a game changing play when the score is still remotely close...  That is what i meant by regressing.  He just doesn't do that.  He has gotten way better as of late but last game he didn't show up until the game was already done.

Arizona went into that game knowing that the TE was a weakness in their defense that had been being exploited ... they were looking to take that option away from us along with TY.

7 - 4; currently 3rd seed in AFC.

Every single team in football has flaws, we aren't bad.

Ok lets play that game.  We are 7-4.  What from this team has made you think we are going to win another game?  I've seen the defense, offense, special teams, and coaching all fail together in 4 games now.  That sir is what we call a trend.  

This isn't the beginning of the season where we have ground to make up.  This is November where people win football games to get into the playoffs. What are we doing?  Falling apart.

Lets take this into perspective.  Pittsburgh was seen as a trash team earlier this year by many on this board.  2 and 4 wasn't it?  But if you watched the games you would have known that they just kept having certain phases of the game fall off and never together.  For example offense would show up and defense wouldn't or vise versa.  Now their coaching staff has gotten everyone together on the same page (with just as many injuries as us mind you)  And are starting to get hot right at the right time.  Can you say that we have that luxury?  Heck can you even say that we had hope where we have seen one piece of our team function?  No we can't because they collectively fail together the whole team.  Indy is not a good football team right now and there aren't many other teams regressing and getting blown out as us.  Even Jax is winning games in November... think about that...

Fleener is our second best option in the passing game. Yes he had a drop yesterday but it was his first in a white, long enough to go everyone drops one sooner or later. Fleener has stepped up big time for the Colts this year.

I completely agree.. Just not this game.  I never mentioned he regressed all year... I am of course talking about a particular game.

Arizona went into that game knowing that the TE was a weakness in their defense that had been being exploited ... they were looking to take that option away from us along with TY.

This makes sense.  I just thought he would have an impact on a weakness no matter how much attention they gave.  He has been improving enough for me to expect some production and he didn't.  That is the only reason why I said he regressed this week.

7 - 4; currently 3rd seed in AFC.

Every single team in football has flaws, we aren't bad.

You're riding the laurels of the first part of the season.  We aren't all that good anymore.  Consider this.  Ever since Reggie Wayne got hurt we have been outscored 132 to our 76.Andrew Luck completion percentage is only 54%, but for shorter amounts than last season. We have only converted 3 out our last 25 3rd down attempts in the first half of last 4 games.  We have not converted a single 4th down attempt. Period

I'm still analyzing and collecting stats since Reggie went down. Almost all of it is not pretty.  Do you realize since Reggie went out, the other team has began the game with a full length field TD drive against us to start the game.  The only time we had the ball first, we gave up a strip/sack fumble for a TD.  I can't wait to analyze giveaway take away ratio, etc...

A lot of teams would love to be 7 - 4, but not in the way we have accomplished it.  Bruce Arians Cardinals are 7 - 4 and trending up (albeit in the toughest division in the NFL) while we are 7 - 4 and spiraling downward in the weakest division in the NFL.  

This makes sense.  I just thought he would have an impact on a weakness no matter how much attention they gave.  He has been improving enough for me to expect some production and he didn't.  That is the only reason why I said he regressed this week.

I think he will eventually get there, but I doubt Arizona was too worried about anyone outside of Fleener and TY, its not like we have a bunch of receiving weapons they have to stretch themselves thin to account for.

I completely agree.. Just not this game.  I never mentioned he regressed all year... I am of course talking about a particular game.

I don't know, there's a lot of others to blame, especially in the blocking department, other than Coby. Coby caught a TD. Please stop with the term "garbage time."

I don't know, there's a lot of others to blame, especially in the blocking department, other than Coby. Coby caught a TD. Please stop with the term "garbage time."

Why stop with the term "garbage time"  I'm sorry if I come off confrontational but is that not what it was?  The game was well away already no life whatsoever I'm trying to understand how it isn't garbage time?  The game was virtually over save for the time left on the clock...

Why stop with the term "garbage time"  I'm sorry if I come off confrontational but is that not what it was?  The game was well away already no life whatsoever I'm trying to understand how it isn't garbage time?  The game was virtually over save for the time left on the clock...

Garbage time, the time of the game where Richardson still cannot run the ball. lol

You're riding the laurels of the first part of the season.  We aren't all that good anymore.  Consider this.  Ever since Reggie Wayne got hurt we have been outscored 132 to our 76.Andrew Luck completion percentage is only 54%, but for shorter amounts than last season. We have only converted 3 out our last 25 3rd down attempts in the first half of last 4 games.  We have not converted a single 4th down attempt. Period

I'm still analyzing and collecting stats since Reggie went down. Almost all of it is not pretty.  Do you realize since Reggie went out, the other team has began the game with a full length field TD drive against us to start the game.  The only time we had the ball first, we gave up a strip/sack fumble for a TD.  I can't wait to analyze giveaway take away ratio, etc...

A lot of teams would love to be 7 - 4, but not in the way we have accomplished it.  Bruce Arians Cardinals are 7 - 4 and trending up (albeit in the toughest division in the NFL) while we are 7 - 4 and spiraling downward in the weakest division in the NFL.  

I have to agree with the bottom of this statement. Specifically the way we are 7-4. 7-4 Is not quite what it seems with the Colts. The Cards are 7-4 by way of winning what .. four games in a row now? The Colts are 7-4 by way of losing some games close together and by a large margin.

I think we will make it to the playoffs this year, but it's a little scary that think that ... If we keep playing football the way we have been, and the Titans play a string of good games .... Even making the Playoffs might not happen.

I want to see the Colts come out strong and prove again what kind of football team they CAN BE. And kind of AFC contender they ARE.

We were a better and completely different team before these injuries. Our record is no longer an indicator of how we're playing football and, unfortunately, it will regress to more accurately reflect this team's deficiencies by the end of the season. I hope I'm wrong but after watching us get steamrolled by St. Louis and Arizona, I'm just not feeling confident. Take a look back to the SF game if you really think this team currently stands a chance. That was a completely different team that flat out worked. Things have changed since then.

Injuries happened, the coaching staff didn't make adjustments, and are playing to our weaknesses due to their stubbornness. They insist on not fielding the best team--Donald Brown is our best RB. Where was he yesterday? Satele and McGlynn are not our best center and RG. Why are they still there? Where is Kavell Conner? This is utterly disappointing. It's painful to watch NE, with all of their injuries and lack of personnel, continue to succeed and fire on all cylinders. They're getting hot when they need to, not sputtering like us. The difference? The coaching staff and the culture instilled in that locker room.

If the team was losing close games while showing a semblance of competitiveness and 100% effort I wouldn't be upset. We lost a game like that to Miami (there was some questionable playcalling) but it wasn't a total beating like SD, SL and AZ. This team has problems that likely won't be resolved this season and with that said, I'm really having trouble looking forward to the playoffs that we may or may not make. And unless a miracle happens, making the playoffs will only give us lower draft picks. 

So I would love to do a good and bad looking here but man this team doesn't give me much good to see....

• The offense is done.  I'm still a supporter of Luck and Pep, but there are just 0 playmakers on the offensive side.  Very saddening to see Fleener regress again and TY just isn't  the type of receiver to throw us on his back every single game.  
  • Trent Richardson.  I didn't support the trade, still don't.  I understand that he has talent (lots of it) but the man just flat out has no vision.  He wasn't worth a first and giving up that first is going to hurt us in the future not just this year.  I'm no judging Grigs yet but he has made his next 3 years very tough without that first round pick.  That he didn't need to give up.
  • Defense.  This defense is flat out the most disappointing part of the team.  A unit who started off so well is just looking completely awful.  They have no excuse none at all.  And before anyone says injuries Toler? Walden?  I'm sorry those 2 are nobodies in comparison to the rest of the unit.  A defense that loses say Davis/Bethea/Landry/Mathis any of them should look like the defense we have now and guess what?  We look atrocious and that is with the supposed marquee players.
  • Coaching.  I have nothing against Pagano as a man, but he is in over his head at coach.  He doesn't seem to have much fight in him left...  Why are we holding onto timeouts?  Why do we refuse to look desperate when we are indeed desperate?  Why do we NEVER CHANGE positions?  Personnel needs to be messed with and Pagano is just not doing that.  Why is this team so ill prepared?  I didn't know what to think of Pagano when he first came over and Bruce took over last year.  But seeing a full body of work from him is just no leaving me with a satisfied taste in my mouth....  A team should be getting hot in November and this team looks ready for offseason...  In no way do I support Bruce as a playcaller/OC but the man knew how to prepare a team.  And in comparison the teams these 2 coaches coached look night and day.  Cardinals getting hot at the right time.  Colts fizzing out before seasons halfway....  Very disappointing...

I'm not sure how to feel about this team.  I do not doubt they have potential but there are flaws beyond the players that concern me.  We have Luck cheap right now and it seems like we are wasting valuable time to have a COMPLETE team around him.  Add insult to injury to know that we don't have a 1st in the next draft to get a playmaker on D or a solid G or C is even worse...  I'm very upset and as always this is the knee jerk, but man how can this team look so bad?  I think we as colts fans know a bad coached team from a good one and I'm not sure if we are looking at a good coached team right now.  That is a huge problem.

With all due respect, Fleener had 4 catches for 55 yards, and led our team in yards yesterday. He also beat Bell for our only touchdown. I would say he's progressing more than regressing.