Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jaguars beating Texans

danlhart87

Texans will get a top 5 pick and go QB this year. Case isnt the answer, he gets completely nullified by the blitz. Schaub and Yates sure as hell arent the answer. They need a franchise QB for their rebuild, and they have quite the selection to choose from in this draft.

Depending on how the rest of the Titan's year goes, we could have Bridgewater, Mariota, and Manziel in the AFC South.

I doubt Kubiak has the tanking mentality. With that said, they'll probably finish 4-12, and spend the next 6-8 years rebuilding. 

6-8 years?!? look here man, the texans roster is fantastic. They have a star running back, a new star WR in hopkins, offensive line can improve but is solid, their D line is frightening, and their secondary isn't too shabby. I swear these guys are just a QB and a coaching staff away from being right back in it with us. I say they will be back in 2 or 3 years, once they've found their answer at QB. But by then, we will be an elite AFC team.

6-8 years?!? look here man, the texans roster is fantastic. They have a star running back, a new star WR in hopkins, offensive line can improve but is solid, their D line is frightening, and their secondary isn't too shabby. I swear these guys are just a QB and a coaching staff away from being right back in it with us. I say they will be back in 2 or 3 years, once they've found their answer at QB. But by then, we will be an elite AFC team.

Maybe not 6-8, but I say 5-7 years. A QB like Luck comes once every few decades. A good QB is a bit easier to find. They'll probably settle for a decent, but not good QB. JJ Watt and Andre Johnson will want out, if Johnson doesn't retire. Kubiak will probably be fired if they continue to to horribly, and will have to get a new coach. Or the alternative option is to just play Schaub until the fans run him out of Texas.

Myths Colts fans have about the Texans:

-Their offensive line is good: False. The right side of the line has been abused repeatedly in both pass and run blocking. Theyve bled talent on the O line due to cap space limitations, and it shows.

-They have a star running back: True but misleading. Arian Foster is old for a RB, and hes now got constant hammy issues and a reconstructed spine. Ben Tate was in contract year this year, and with the cap problems the Texans have, they cant re sign him without somehow dealing with the hige contract they gave Foster.

-They have a decent secondary: False. Bryce McCain is one of the worst corners in the NFL, and he starts opposite a rookie. They let Glover Quinn go to sign Ed Reed at safety, and now they have neither and a gaping hole over the top.

-Their D line is fantastic: False. J.J. Watt is so good, he makes the d line appear far better than it is. They have an undersized nose tackle that struggles to stuff blocks, and puts all the work on Watt to carry the unit, which he mostly does because hes more monster than man.

Hopkins is good, but was benched against the Raiders for poor play.

The Texans need help at every position. They have a poor secondary, no depth at LB behind Cushing, and rely on Watt to carry the D line.

On offense, the right side of the o line is a sieve, one running back is damaged goods, and the other needs a new contract. They have the same WR situation as Indy, an aging great, a rookie, and really nobody else. They have a young QB who is completely incapable of beating the blitz, and a 32 year old backup QB with a starting QB contract.

The entire team is an absolute mess from top to bottom this year, and to top it off, they are in a salary cap crunch with that roster. The Texans need to gut and start over.

What on earth are you watching that would compel you to say their roster is "fantastic"?  They have holes all over;  that's why they suck.

They need to, and probably will, start fresh:  New GM, New Head Coach, New QB

What on earth are you watching that would compel you to say their roster is "fantastic"?  They have holes all over;  that's why they suck.

They need to, and probably will, start fresh:  New GM, New Head Coach, New QB

well, I might have exaggerated too much, but the texans really remind me of the 2012 KC chiefs. They do have the #1 defense this year and the #8 offense. They just can't score, which comes down to redzone play calling.

well, I might have exaggerated too much, but the texans really remind me of the 2012 KC chiefs. They do have the #1 defense this year and the #8 offense. They just can't score, which comes down to redzone play calling.

Their defense is #1 in yards allowed, because the offense and special teams are so abysmal they are always in short yardage. They also are one of the worst scoring defenses, worst run defenses, and worst at getting turnovers. Theyb literally do nothing well but rush the passer, and even then thats all J.J. Watt.

The Texans are one of the worst special teams units, have a turnover prone offense that drops off dramaticaly in the second half and has poor red zone play, and a defense that is incapable of stopping people late because it relies on one player dominating for an entire 60 minutes.

The Texans may be one of the least talented rosters in football thia year.

Their defense is #1 in yards allowed, because the offense and special teams are so abysmal they are always in short yardage. They also are one of the worst scoring defenses, worst run defenses, and worst at getting turnovers. Theyb literally do nothing well but rush the passer, and even then thats all J.J. Watt.

The Texans are one of the worst special teams units, have a turnover prone offense that drops off dramaticaly in the second half and has poor red zone play, and a defense that is incapable of stopping people late because it relies on one player dominating for an entire 60 minutes.

well, just last year people were saying the texans were one of the most complete teams in the NFL. This year, they haven't really lost anyone besides glover quin and barwin and now their the least talented team? I would say they are the worst at playing as a cohesive unit. They are basically the opposite of the colts. have quite a few names on their roster, but fail to work effectively as a unit. 

well, just last year people were saying the texans were one of the most complete teams in the NFL. This year, they haven't really lost anyone besides glover quin and barwin and now their the least talented team? I would say they are the worst at playing as a cohesive unit. They are basically the opposite of the colts. have quite a few names on their roster, but fail to work effectively as a unit.

They also lost their right guard (Winston), making the right side if their line a revolving door, Cushing just tore his LCL in the same knee he tore his ACL last year, and has done a suspension for PEDs, making him unreliable to even be on the field. JJo has dropped off dramatically, and their OLBs can do nothing without Cushing, as there is no depth at MLB behind him.

Arian Foster got old quick, Ben Tate has been playing with broken ribs, and Matt Schaub has fallen off a cliff mentally. Case Keenum cant pick up a blitz to save his life.

Literally the only two players on the entire roster who have not actively contributed to losing games through poor play are Watt and Johnson. Its bad.

Once again, spot on analysis. 

If only ANYTHING SkyBane said was untrue.

Sorry Vance, I dont mean any of it as a slight on Houston fans (who imo are getting far too much crap from their own team). Heck, Im not exactly a fan, but I do enjoy following the Texans and what they do. I certainly dont hate them. Maybe because my dad raised me to hate the Pats, Jets, and most importantly the filthy Steelers above all else.

Where the Texans go from here all depends on talent evaluation in house. If Rick Smith stays, I can see the cycle repeating itself all over again with Kubiak's successor.

As per the outcome of this game, I am entirely unconvinced by either team. Whoever makes more mistakes is going to lose, and both teams make a lot of them.

Maybe "Sewing With Miss Nancy" will be opposite this game so I'll have something to watch. 

The Jags are at least showing a sign of life while the Texans collapse has turned in to a daily soap opera here and that is the last thing any team on the downslide wants. Losing breeds contempt and if the players here don't do something to keep the media out they are doomed. All the Texans fans I work with here in Houston are now officially quitters. They are laughing and they are depressed. At least in Atlanta they can rightfully claim injuries. Here, the problem continues to soar with the departure of Ed Reed, the benching of Schaub, then the benching of  Kenum, then the confrontation between Schaub and Andre Johnson along with the fans getting up and leaving the stadium after Schaub came in to replace Kenum, the coach has a stroke. Someone here has spiked the waters and dissension is mounting, you get the feeling many Texans are getting anxious to leave this team for good.

Texans will get a top 5 pick and go QB this year. Case isnt the answer, he gets completely nullified by the blitz. Schaub and Yates sure as hell arent the answer. They need a franchise QB for their rebuild, and they have quite the selection to choose from in this draft.

Depending on how the rest of the Titan's year goes, we could have Bridgewater, Mariota, and Manziel in the AFC South.

I would love to see that happen. Of the 3 I expect Mariota and Bridgewater to be average. Manziel may have a decent rookie year then its all bust.

I disagree so much with the prognosis of the Texans roster. Yes, they have holes, but every team does. All of that is fixable. But they also have really good players all over the field, including some young talent that hasn't been developed yet. They have a very enviable roster.

Anyone who thinks it takes 5+ years to rebuild is loco. Even without an elite QB, there's no reason it would take that long.

I disagree so much with the prognosis of the Texans roster. Yes, they have holes, but every team does. All of that is fixable. But they also have really good players all over the field, including some young talent that hasn't been developed yet. They have a very enviable roster.

Anyone who thinks it takes 5+ years to rebuild is loco. Even without an elite QB, there's no reason it would take that long.

It wont take 5+ years to rebuild if they actually do it properly. It will take 3 at the absolute maximum. That doesnt change the fact the current roster is far from enviable. Name one player you think is all pro other than JJ or Andre.

It wont take 5+ years to rebuild if they actually do it properly. It will take 3 at the absolute maximum. That doesnt change the fact the current roster is far from enviable. Name one player you think is all pro other than JJ or Andre.

Whoa, first of all, it doesn't take a roster stocked with All Pros to be enviable. Nice red herring, though.

Second, in addition to JJ and Andre, I'd take Duane Brown, Antonio Smith, Brian Cushing, Chris Myers, Brooks Reed and Jonathan Joseph on the Colts right now, and our team would be significantly better. I'd also love to have their young guys like Hopkins, Mercilus, Garrett Graham, DJ Swearinger, etc. They have players. Keshawn Martin is a better kick returner than anyone we've had on our roster this year. Shiloh Keo has been decent as a fill-in safety, better than Ed Reed. Jeff Tarpinian is a promising young linebacker. Their roster is better right now than the Colts roster was at the end of 2011, and it's not even close.

And then there are really good players that I wouldn't personally want, but that are still valuable pieces to their roster, like Arian Foster, Owen Daniels, Wade Smith, etc. Seven of their eight losses are by one score. (They got blown out by the Rams, ironically, who outscored the AFC South 131-69, and nearly swept the division.)

People are acting like they need to completely strip their roster. I disagree. I'm not a Matt Schaub fan, but they could stick with him and be in the wild card hunt. I'm not sure what Case Keenum is, but he's not junk heap material. If he's your backup, you're not doing too bad. They have to change their coaches, specifically on the offensive side of the ball, and that includes Kubiak. That kind of coaching change probably will cost them Wade Phillips as well, and that's too bad, but there are other coaches who can take what he's built and keep working on it. They are in essence a 1-gap front, so if they want to go back to a 4-3, they could, and if they want to stick with the 3-4, they can without lynching all their hopes to finding a monstrous nose tackle. They need help in the secondary, but that's nothing an offseason can't settle.

They have some cap issues, but they can wiggle some room out if they're willing to make some tough decisions. If they write off 2014, they could trade or cut Schaub, Johnson and Foster, they'd save some cap room in 2014, and in 2015 they'd have around $50m in cap space. I think with a new coach they could challenge in the division next year. If they get rid of their big three, it still shouldn't take more than two years. If it does, they've made big mistakes and/or had terrible luck.

So buck up, Vance. I don't know if Rick Smith is your guy. I'm certain Kubiak isn't. But if you make changes at the top, there are a bunch of good GM candidates out there, and you can always find a head coach (Kevin Sumlin?) You'll have a high draft pick. There's no reason the Texans have to go back to their early history. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Whoa, first of all, it doesn't take a roster stocked with All Pros to be enviable. Nice red herring, though.

Second, in addition to JJ and Andre, I'd take Duane Brown, Antonio Smith, Brian Cushing, Chris Myers, Brooks Reed and Jonathan Joseph on the Colts right now, and our team would be significantly better. I'd also love to have their young guys like Hopkins, Mercilus, Garrett Graham, DJ Swearinger, etc. They have players. Keshawn Martin is a better kick returner than anyone we've had on our roster this year. Shiloh Keo has been decent as a fill-in safety, better than Ed Reed. Jeff Tarpinian is a promising young linebacker. Their roster is better right now than the Colts roster was at the end of 2011, and it's not even close.

And then there are really good players that I wouldn't personally want, but that are still valuable pieces to their roster, like Arian Foster, Owen Daniels, Wade Smith, etc. Seven of their eight losses are by one score. (They got blown out by the Rams, ironically, who outscored the AFC South 131-69, and nearly swept the division.)

People are acting like they need to completely strip their roster. I disagree. I'm not a Matt Schaub fan, but they could stick with him and be in the wild card hunt. I'm not sure what Case Keenum is, but he's not junk heap material. If he's your backup, you're not doing too bad. They have to change their coaches, specifically on the offensive side of the ball, and that includes Kubiak. That kind of coaching change probably will cost them Wade Phillips as well, and that's too bad, but there are other coaches who can take what he's built and keep working on it. They are in essence a 1-gap front, so if they want to go back to a 4-3, they could, and if they want to stick with the 3-4, they can without lynching all their hopes to finding a monstrous nose tackle. They need help in the secondary, but that's nothing an offseason can't settle.

They have some cap issues, but they can wiggle some room out if they're willing to make some tough decisions. If they write off 2014, they could trade or cut Schaub, Johnson and Foster, they'd save some cap room in 2014, and in 2015 they'd have around $50m in cap space. I think with a new coach they could challenge in the division next year. If they get rid of their big three, it still shouldn't take more than two years. If it does, they've made big mistakes and/or had terrible luck.

So buck up, Vance. I don't know if Rick Smith is your guy. I'm certain Kubiak isn't. But if you make changes at the top, there are a bunch of good GM candidates out there, and you can always find a head coach (Kevin Sumlin?) You'll have a high draft pick. There's no reason the Texans have to go back to their early history. 

I agree with everything you said...brilliant as usual Superman.  But I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second.  If ownership decides to blow the entire staff up, including Smith, maybe (and hopefully) they get a firecracker of a new GM that wants to come in and make it his team, and starts unloading players.  I don't think that would be smart, or actually happen (I don't think the GM should be fired)  but we've seen it happen before.

Psh, red herring. You should know by now I love using hyperbole to be bombastic :P

As for your player assessments... I disagree. A lot of those guys have really underperformed, and why anybody would want Cushing with his knee as torn up as it is, is beyond me.

Thats mostly just oppinion though, so were not going to get anywhere arguing it.

I agree with everything you said...brilliant as usual Superman. But I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second. If ownership decides to blow the entire staff up, including Smith, maybe (and hopefully) they get a firecracker of a new GM that wants to come in and make it his team, and starts unloading players. I don't think that would be smart, or actually happen (I don't think the GM should be fired) but we've seen it happen before.

That would fall under the "mistake" category. They can hire someone who takes the approach John Dorsey did in KC, and rather than trying to completely rework a roster, he made the tweaks and found a strong head coach, and now the Chiefs are right back in it.

If a rebuild in today's NFL takes more than 3 years, it's because ownership/management suck at rebuilding, and/or you've been terribly unlucky. With a team with as many players as the Texans have, 3 years is absolute maximum.

Psh, red herring. You should know by now I love using hyperbole to be bombastic :P

As for your player assessments... I disagree. A lot of those guys have really underperformed, and why anybody would want Cushing with his knee as torn up as it is, is beyond me.

Thats mostly just oppinion though, so were not going to get anywhere arguing it.

You could argue that everyone but Watt has underperformed this year. Doesn't mean they're worthless. Rewind one season and those guys comprised one of the most talented rosters in the league. The truth is somewhere in the middle, but I think they are better off than most in this thread do.

As for Cushing's knee, look to Thomas Davis. Had 17 tackles Monday night and is part of one of the best defensive fronts in the league, and he's torn his knee up three times. For someone as good as Cushing, you hold on to hope as long as you can. Maybe rework the future years on his contract (his 2014 base is guaranteed for injury, but you don't have to pay the $6m option bonus).

Guest TeamLoloJones

That would fall under the "mistake" category. They can hire someone who takes the approach John Dorsey did in KC, and rather than trying to completely rework a roster, he made the tweaks and found a strong head coach, and now the Chiefs are right back in it.

If a rebuild in today's NFL takes more than 3 years, it's because ownership/management suck at rebuilding, and/or you've been terribly unlucky. With a team with as many players as the Texans have, 3 years is absolute maximum.

Imagine if the Texans would have drafted Russell Wilson...oh wait nevermind....Kubiak would bench him for Schaub after his first incomplete pass.

You know what? Now I'm fixated. Here's how I'd fix the Texans:

1) Keep Rick Smith. Stipulate that he has to get rid of big three and create cap space for 2015. Also stipulate that you want an increased emphasis on player character (several of his draft picks have had issues in recent years, from Cushing being suspended for PEDs to the Sam Montgomery pick this year).

2) Get rid of Kubiak. Hold an exhaustive search for a new coach, preferably someone with gravitas and a progressive style. I'd make a hard push for Kevin Sumlin and Chris Petersen. The head coach determines the rest of his coaching staff, and if he wants to keep Phillips that's up to him. If he wants to transition the defense, that's up to him. Just no Tampa 2 coordinators.

3) I think Andre Johnson has trade value, could probably get a 4th or 5th round pick for him. I'd first offer him a reworked salary in 2014, and worst case scenario, release him. Would have a $1m dead cap hit in the event of a release or trade. But I think they could get a 5th rounder for him. So let's trade him for a mid 5th rounder, let's say the 20th pick. Saves $10m off the 2014 cap, $16m off the 2015 cap.

4) Release Schaub and Foster. Schaub's release saves $4m against the 2014 cap, clears $17m off the 2015 cap. Foster's release saves $1.25m off the 2014 cap, $9m off the 2015 cap. Also release Danieal Manning, saving $4.5m on the 2014 cap.

5) This is actually the very first thing I'd do, and by that, I mean tomorrow, Thursday the 21st. Renegotiate Cushing's contract. Get rid of the 2014 option bonus of $6m and the roster bonus of $1.25m, increase his base salary to $4m fully guaranteed. (This has to be done before the regular season ends, otherwise you can't renegotiate the option bonus; this is what forced the Colts' hand with Manning.) His cap hit only goes down from $6.25m to $5.8m, but you've saved yourself from future guarantees, and you give him all of next season to get back to form. If he won't agree, release him. Cap penalty of $7.2m, costs you $1m in cap space.

6) Brace for impact. The fans won't like steps 3-5. But they'll save around $19m off the 2014 cap, and at least $42m off the 2015 cap. You go into 2014 with a cap figure of around $95m, which puts you about $30m under the cap. And a boatload more in 2015.

7) Free agency, not hog wild, but sign a corner (tons of good corners available for less than $6m/year, based on this year's offseason and the impending FA corners), sign a running back (maybe Donald Brown?), sign a veteran RG or RT, or both. If there's a solid FA QB that you want, or someone worth trading for, consider it. But based on the landscape right now, I don't think there will be. 

8) The draft. As of today, they're picking 4th. They'll have an extra 5th for Andre Johnson, and a compensatory 5th for Connor Barwin. I believe they have all the rest of their picks. So they'd have something like 4, 36, 68, 102, 138, 154, 168, 176, 216. Needs are QB, RB, WR, S, CB, OL, ILB.

Maybe that's not a team that can compete for the playoffs in 2014, but add in another draft and free agency period, and they should be right back in playoff contention. And they'll have cap freedom, a new coach, and hopefully a new QB. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

1) Keep Rick Smith. Stipulate that he has to get rid of big three and create cap space for 2015. Also stipulate that you want an increased emphasis on player character (several of his draft picks have had issues in recent years, from Cushing being suspended for PEDs to the Sam Montgomery pick this year).

2) Get rid of Kubiak. Hold an exhaustive search for a new coach, preferably someone with gravitas and a progressive style. I'd make a hard push for Kevin Sumlin and Chris Petersen. The head coach determines the rest of his coaching staff, and if he wants to keep Phillips that's up to him. If he wants to transition the defense, that's up to him. Just no Tampa 2 coordinators.

3) I think Andre Johnson has trade value, could probably get a 4th or 5th round pick for him. I'd first offer him a reworked salary in 2014, and worst case scenario, release him. Would have a $1m dead cap hit in the event of a release or trade. But I think they could get a 5th rounder for him. So let's trade him for a mid 5th rounder, let's say the 20th pick. Saves $10m off the 2014 cap, $16m off the 2015 cap.

4) Release Schaub and Foster. Schaub's release saves $4m against the 2014 cap, clears $17m off the 2015 cap. Foster's release saves $1.25m off the 2014 cap, $9m off the 2015 cap. Also release Danieal Manning, saving $4.5m on the 2014 cap.

5) This is actually the very first thing I'd do, and by that, I mean tomorrow, Thursday the 21st. Renegotiate Cushing's contract. Get rid of the 2014 option bonus of $6m and the roster bonus of $1.25m, increase his base salary to $4m fully guaranteed. (This has to be done before the regular season ends, otherwise you can't renegotiate the option bonus; this is what forced the Colts' hand with Manning.) His cap hit only goes down from $6.25m to $5.8m, but you've saved yourself from future guarantees, and you give him all of next season to get back to form. If he won't agree, release him. Cap penalty of $7.2m, costs you $1m in cap space.

6) Brace for impact. The fans won't like steps 3-5. But they'll save around $19m off the 2014 cap, and at least $42m off the 2015 cap. You go into 2014 with a cap figure of around $95m, which puts you about $30m under the cap. And a boatload more in 2015.

7) Free agency, not hog wild, but sign a corner (tons of good corners available for less than $6m/year, based on this year's offseason and the impending FA corners), sign a running back (maybe Donald Brown?), sign a veteran RG or RT, or both. If there's a solid FA QB that you want, or someone worth trading for, consider it. But based on the landscape right now, I don't think there will be. 

8) The draft. As of today, they're picking 4th. They'll have an extra 5th for Andre Johnson, and a compensatory 5th for Connor Barwin. I believe they have all the rest of their picks. So they'd have something like 4, 36, 68, 102, 138, 154, 168, 176, 216. Needs are QB, RB, WR, S, CB, OL, ILB.

Maybe that's not a team that can compete for the playoffs in 2014, but add in another draft and free agency period, and they should be right back in playoff contention. And they'll have cap freedom, a new coach, and hopefully a new QB. 

Ok so my only question is...why aren't you an NFL GM?  (I'm mean that sincerely) 

Ok so my only question is...why aren't you an NFL GM?  (I'm mean that sincerely) 

I guess it starts with the fact that I haven't applied to be one. LOL

I'm over simplifying the process, no question about that. Stripping down is the easy part. Figuring out the cap impacts is just math and a rudimentary understanding of the basics. The sales pitches and the scouting/player evaluation are talents. Not everyone has them. Having a lot of smart people around you is key. I believe a lot of GMs are too stubborn to yield to other people's opinions. Matt Millen said he was determined to make his own mistakes, not make someone else's mistakes. As if listening to someone else is going to fail. What you're refusing to consider is that someone else's mistake might not be a mistake at all. I understand believing in your system, but you can be steadfast to a fault.

That's why I like how Grigson went and hired Jimmy Raye III after Telesco left. A right hand man that he hasn't grown up with, that wasn't leftover from the previous regime. That shows an inclusive decision making process.

Anyways, if you know a team that's looking for a message board geek to run their team, let me know. I'm interested. ;)

Yeah, the contracts Smith signed to Cushing, Foster, and Schaun are where the cap crunch is coming from. This is pretty much exactly what needs to happen. Gold star (not of the you tried variety).