Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Get rid of Reed and shop for new WR's

SubZero

I am more then fine currently with what we have. Hilton will shine even more and DHB/Fleener I feel will keep developing.

The problem is one more injury and it could get messy.....

Not sure what Grigs will do but rest be assured, he is thinking about it.

Yes he does. Randle is more involved in the Giants offense than Nicks is. They're slowly fading Nicks out. Watch the Giants game tonight. Randle is better than Nicks imo

More involved you say, yet Nicks has more targets, receptions, and yards than Randle

The issue is that it takes time for receivers to learn the playbook. You are not going to find ANY wideout outside of maybe half a dozen who could come in and be effective immediately or even this season. Takes time to also get in a flow with the QB. Case Study: Randy Moss. I don't think it hurts to shop or look to the future especially in the upcoming draft. But what you see now are probably the starters for the rest of the year. Going to have to force TY to get more involved(I'm looking at you Pep). Fleener and DHB are going to have to step up and play like big boys as well. 

Ain't that the truth.

Yep. I mean I won't say he makes a trade. But, I can't say for certain he won't either.

He loves trades. :clap: '

And when we had RB injuries we made a trade for one. We needed a CB last year and got one.

It depends on how much faith they have in what we currently have at WR.

I am sure they are talking about this as we type. :thmup:

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yep. I mean I won't say he makes a trade. But, I can't say for certain he won't either.

He loves trades. :clap: '

And when we had RB injuries we made a trade for one. We needed a CB last year and got one.

It depends on how much faith they have in what we currently have at WR.

I am sure they are talking about this as we type. :thmup:

I'm convinced Grigson is working it right now...it's all a matter of whether or not a deal actually gets done.  Even if they are happy with the guys in house...he's still going to go out and test the market.

Trades can be contingent on signing a new contract.  That's what happened with Percy Harvin and Seattle.  If the trade is accepted, the player has to pass a physical and sign a new contract before the trade is made official.  Thus the sign and trade.

Sorry, maybe it is semantics or maybe I am a too particular but it is not the same thing. Sign and trade by its very definition means that team A signs a player and then trades him to team B. But by doing so team A has to clear him under their cap with the new contract to say nothing of the signing bonus, which no team would be willing to do in order to accomodate a trade.

Sorry, maybe it is semantics or maybe I am a too particular but it is not the same thing. Sign and trade by its very definition means that team A signs a player and then trades him to team B. But by doing so team A has to clear him under their cap with the new contract to say nothing of the signing bonus, which no team would be willing to do in order to accomodate a trade.

I thought the same thing as TeamLoLoJones when he first replied to you, but now I see what you mean.  Maybe we should call it a "trade & sign" instead of "sign & trade" :)

Guest TeamLoloJones

Well your right, it's the not exactly a sign and trade by definition.  But still the contract would have to be drawn up with the new team before the trade actually goes through.   That would be the route I would want to go IF the Colts went after Nicks, or really any player in the final year of their contract we would give up a pick for.

This shows a list of the best available FA wide receivers. I think a trade is not viable considering our cap space, but a FA at vet minimum might be. Someone like Lloyd might be worth a look. A vet like Wayne that has some experience. We don't need a burner, just someone with reliable hands to catch the short and intermediate routes. 

It is a slim pickings list though. Lot of guys with the penchant for dropping passes. Not what we need. 

This can't be said enough... we need our remaining draft picks.

Is there anyone good that could be there in the second round when we pick? I'm not a big college person during the season. If we could make a decent trade and get a good player, I'd much rather do that. I don't trust anyone on our roster to make those crucial grabs that Reggie made. I don't know what player we could potentially play for, but I want us to be in a good position. This team is too good to just lose our momentum because our receivers other than Reggie can't hang on to crucial passes...