Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning Comparison (Through 20 Games)

BlueShoe

Disclaimer: If you don't like comparing Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning then do yourself and others a favor by leaving this thread now.

I like to examine the results from Andrew and compare it to where Peyton was at the same point in his career. It is rather interesting to me. The only leading statistic that Peyton has consistently been ahead of Luck is with completion percentage; however, that gap is quickly closing.

Below is a compilation of the first 20 games.

Team Offensive Points Forced:

Andrew 462

Peyton 427

Team Defense Points Allowed:

Andrew 438

Peyton 543

Team Wins:

Andrew 14

Peyton 5

Completions:

Andrew 422

Peyton 411

Passing Attempts:

Andrew 756

Peyton 716

Passing Yards:

Andrew 5,297

Peyton 4,924

Completion Percentage:

Andrew 55.8%

Peyton 57.4%

Yards Per Attempt:

Andrew 7.01

Peyton 6.88

Longest Pass:

Andrew 70

Peyton 78

Passing Touchdowns:

Andrew 28

Peyton 36

Passing Interceptions:

Andrew 20

Peyton 34

Quarterback Rating:

Andrew 79.1

Peyton 75.5

Rushing Attempts:

Andrew 78

Peyton 25

Rushing Yards:

Andrew 381

Peyton 63

Rushing Average:

Andrew 4.9

Peyton 2.5

Longest Run:

Andrew 19

Peyton 15

Rushing Touchdowns:

Andrew 7

Peyton 1

Combined Passing and Rushing Touchdowns:

Andrew 35

Peyton 37

Guest TeamLoloJones

Disclaimer: If you don't like comparing Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning then do yourself and others a favor by leaving this thread now.

I like to examine the results from Andrew and compare it to where Peyton was at the same point in his career. It is rather interesting to me. The only leading statistic that Peyton has consistently been ahead of Luck is with completion percentage; however, that gap is quickly closing.

Andrew 462

Peyton 427

Andrew 438

Peyton 543

Team Wins:

Andrew 14

Peyton 5

Completions:

Andrew 422

Peyton 411

Passing Attempts:

Andrew 756

Peyton 716

Passing Yards:

Andrew 5,297

Peyton 4,924

Completion Percentage:

Andrew 55.8%

Peyton 57.4%

Yards Per Attempt:

Andrew 7.01

Peyton 6.88

Longest Pass:

Andrew 70

Peyton 78

Passing Touchdowns:

Andrew 28

Peyton 36

Passing Interceptions:

Andrew 20

Peyton 34

Quarterback Rating:

Andrew 79.1

Peyton 75.5

Rushing Attempts:

Andrew 78

Peyton 25

Rushing Yards:

Andrew 381

Peyton 63

Rushing Average:

Andrew 4.9

Peyton 2.5

Longest Run:

Andrew 19

Peyton 15

Rushing Touchdowns:

Andrew 7

Peyton 1

Andrew 35

Peyton 37

Always like reading this...good work.

Yes the numbers look similar but I can't see Luck keeping up with Peyton's stats, at least in the near future and not with this style of offense. Let's remember that Peyton exploded his second year.

I hope that Luck has a better team around him than Peyton had and Colts win as a team.

I believe Luck can keep up with Peyton in most categories, but touchdown passes will be tough. We run the ball in the RedZone more now than we did with Peyton.

This comparison will start to go south now that we are a run first team.

doesn't matter if Colts can get into playoff on a regular basis and win a few playoff games. After Manning retires it will be all-Colts-and-Luck in the AFC and by the age of 30 luck could have owned 2 superbowl rings.

Yeah obviously, but there's no denying that Luck could potentially get to Manning's level. 

He may not have to but he is very likely to own more superbowl rings when he retires with Colts building a team like this.

For years I have believed Manning's Colts could not win him another superbowl unless they do either: 1. reinforce the defense and running game and allow Manning to take less responsibilities to carry the load, or 2. give Manning more weapons to allow him gain a higher margin to make up for the defects in the defense. Now Colts have done the 1st but they are featuring Luck, and Manning is having more weapons than he ever had with Colts. It will be really interesting to see which way is better when Colts play the Broncos, but I predict Colts lose by a small margin this year and win next year (yes, Colts will win the division and meet Manning again next yr).

Andrew 462

Peyton 427

Andrew 438

Peyton 543

Team Wins:

Andrew 14

Peyton 5

Completions:

Andrew 422

Peyton 411

Passing Attempts:

Andrew 756

Peyton 716

Passing Yards:

Andrew 5,297

Peyton 4,924

Completion Percentage:

Andrew 55.8%

Peyton 57.4%

Yards Per Attempt:

Andrew 7.01

Peyton 6.88

Longest Pass:

Andrew 70

Peyton 78

Passing Touchdowns:

Andrew 28

Peyton 36

Passing Interceptions:

Andrew 20

Peyton 34

Quarterback Rating:

Andrew 79.1

Peyton 75.5

Rushing Attempts:

Andrew 78

Peyton 25

Rushing Yards:

Andrew 381

Peyton 63

Rushing Average:

Andrew 4.9

Peyton 2.5

Longest Run:

Andrew 19

Peyton 15

Rushing Touchdowns:

Andrew 7

Peyton 1

Andrew 35

Peyton 37

Always like seeing this. I for one like seeing the comparison. It doesn't hurt anything and we aren't the only fans who do it. Good work!

A more realistic comparison for Luck is to Rodgers, Brees, or Brady. Manning is in a class of his own, where he is the only one as the offensive coordinator on the field and designs every play with his teammates. He is not in any system since he builds his own system. Manning's system is definitely amazing, although it does not always mean winning the superbowl.