Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Type Of Defense We Had Under Ted Marchibroda?

number28

Much harder defense to work against because we had Siragusa in the middle Tony Bennett was more of a Dwight Freeney type, but the linebackers were not dropping as they do in the Tampa-2. So the good part was we were more consistent. The bad part was we were more vulnerable to big plays because we didn't keep everyone in front of us.. Interesting comparison because like the 1995 team didn't have near the talent that the current team has, yet they played much better as a "team" and a system. If Faulk went down, Warren stepped in. If Warren was out, Zack Crockett or Roosevelt Potts made it happen. Look a the offensive line and they weren't especially talented, but they did well run and pass blocking.

I think the biggest difference was the coaching and the systems run. But it shows you that a guy like Freeney doesn't have to only be in a Tampa-2, because Tony Bennett was not very big himself. I do think a chance in coaching and schemes would do wonders for the team. Just look what Harbaugh is doing in SF.

^ thank you! great reply!

I really loved our defense under Ted. In 95 those 3 playoff games, KC, SD and Pittsburgh. Those were the best 3 defensive performances I have ever seen by Colts.

Yeah I understand we won SB with Dungy-2 defense, but I still think our defense in mid 90's was way better than the Tampa Cover 2.

I totally agree. Somewhere along the lines the Colts coaches thought it would be a good idea to run this tampa 2 defense all the time. The tampa 2 defense is a great defense for defending the deep plays. With that said...it is not meant to be used on every down...or every other down. Its used by almost every team in the league...but they use it as a prevent...not as the basis for their defensive schemes. It protects the deep ball so well because you're putting your lbs into deep zone coverage. Which by natural response...leave the place the lbs used to be...vacant for 15 yards. Imo the defense itself is flawed merely because it has such a monstrous downside that any qb/oq will exploit without prejudice (ie...the Bucs game). It needs to be retired and a new defensive scheme...such as the one you're talking about...needs to be put into action.

Much harder defense to work against because we had Siragusa in the middle Tony Bennett was more of a Dwight Freeney type, but the linebackers were not dropping as they do in the Tampa-2. So the good part was we were more consistent. The bad part was we were more vulnerable to big plays because we didn't keep everyone in front of us.. Interesting comparison because like the 1995 team didn't have near the talent that the current team has, yet they played much better as a "team" and a system. If Faulk went down, Warren stepped in. If Warren was out, Zack Crockett or Roosevelt Potts made it happen. Look a the offensive line and they weren't especially talented, but they did well run and pass blocking.

I think the biggest difference was the coaching and the systems run. But it shows you that a guy like Freeney doesn't have to only be in a Tampa-2, because Tony Bennett was not very big himself. I do think a chance in coaching and schemes would do wonders for the team. Just look what Harbaugh is doing in SF.

The 95 team had a ton of talent rockin the D side.

Coryatt, Herrod, Buchanon, Daniel, Bennett, Belser, McCoy, Whittington, Johnson.... This team's D was the reason they went where they did.

And as par for the "Colts" course Emtman Faulk, and Alberts were hurt......

This franchise is snakebitten. But we still rise above................

go Colts.

I totally agree. Somewhere along the lines the Colts coaches thought it would be a good idea to run this tampa 2 defense all the time. The tampa 2 defense is a great defense for defending the deep plays. With that said...it is not meant to be used on every down...or every other down. Its used by almost every team in the league...but they use it as a prevent...not as the basis for their defensive schemes. It protects the deep ball so well because you're putting your lbs into deep zone coverage. Which by natural response...leave the place the lbs used to be...vacant for 15 yards. Imo the defense itself is flawed merely because it has such a monstrous downside that any qb/oq will exploit without prejudice (ie...the Bucs game). It needs to be retired and a new defensive scheme...such as the one you're talking about...needs to be put into action.

The Tampa 2 (if used as a base D) requires one fundamental necessity. Stud DT's that get a push up the middle so a 4 man rush rattles the QB. If that doesn't happen....... well..........

TB, Chicago, and yes Indy in the SB run rocked and rolled the Tampa 2 to rings.... but it takes talent.

I feel like we are comparing apples to oranges. The 90's we were a more balanced squad. We didn't have 3/4 of our salary cap spent on 3 or 4 guys. When we drafted Peyton we decided to build up our offense around him...that costs money. We had enough left for a couple of defensive guys, but not a juggernaut, hence the use of Tampa-2.

It will take significant changes to make the cash needed for an overhaul. I will probably get slaughtered for this but here is a list of possible money saving moves:

1. Don't resign Reggie (tough pill to swallow, but he will cost a lot)

2. Get rid of Vinatieri (he is clutch, but we pay him to much for a kicker)

3. Say goodbye to Brown and Addai(Addai has done well, but is still always hurt. Carter is a great player and Evans can be better than Brown)

4. Say goodbye to Hughes

The Tampa 2 (if used as a base D) requires one fundamental necessity. Stud DT's that get a push up the middle so a 4 man rush rattles the QB. If that doesn't happen....... well..........

TB, Chicago, and yes Indy in the SB run rocked and rolled the Tampa 2 to rings.... but it takes talent.

Precisely.... and of all years for there to be no stud DTs coming out of college, it winds up being this year when we're likely to pick Top 3. :angry:

Precisely.... and of all years for there to be no stud DTs coming out of college, it winds up being this year when we're likely to pick Top 3. :angry:

Keep in mind for years that the Colts never drafted any DT's early or with any size. The one year the Colts had Corey Simon was the best defense they had during the Peyton years. I don't know if Dungy had any insight on draft day, or was he just overrated as a defensive guru.

The 95 team had a ton of talent rockin the D side.

Coryatt, Herrod, Buchanon, Daniel, Bennett, Belser, McCoy, Whittington, Johnson.... This team's D was the reason they went where they did.

And as par for the "Colts" course Emtman Faulk, and Alberts were hurt......

This franchise is snakebitten. But we still rise above................

go Colts.

With all due respect, I disagree with you. I think the 95 team might have had slightly better defensive personnel. But a guy like Coryatt, IMHO, was always overrated and wasn't much. I think the biggest difference is they played as a team much better. Better system, better coaching.

I feel like we are comparing apples to oranges. The 90's we were a more balanced squad. We didn't have 3/4 of our salary cap spent on 3 or 4 guys. When we drafted Peyton we decided to build up our offense around him...that costs money. We had enough left for a couple of defensive guys, but not a juggernaut, hence the use of Tampa-2.

It will take significant changes to make the cash needed for an overhaul. I will probably get slaughtered for this but here is a list of possible money saving moves:

1. Don't resign Reggie (tough pill to swallow, but he will cost a lot)

2. Get rid of Vinatieri (he is clutch, but we pay him to much for a kicker)

3. Say goodbye to Brown and Addai(Addai has done well, but is still always hurt. Carter is a great player and Evans can be better than Brown)

4. Say goodbye to Hughes

Addai just signed a new contract, I am pretty sure they don't cut him after the first year of the new contract. The others, well they are quite possible. We are going to need to sign Garcon and he is gonna get a nice contract, probably not a top 5 wr contract but he is going to get paid and he should. The difficult decision is going to be, what do you do with Freeney? He is not producing at his contract rate and his rate is high (I think 16+ million cap hit in 2012). What do you do with Mathis because no Freeney=inneffective Mathis. Anderson may get another short contract but we may as well part with Brayton cause he hasn't done anything.

BTW, how can you say Evans will be as good as Brown, we have never seen him play so he is better on paper only. Brown is still cheap. Going to be some tough choices because this team is a mess from top to bottom as we have seen this year without PM. Better coaches could get better results out of a lot of these guys IMHO.

Keep in mind for years that the Colts never drafted any DT's early or with any size. The one year the Colts had Corey Simon was the best defense they had during the Peyton years. I don't know if Dungy had any insight on draft day, or was he just overrated as a defensive guru.

During the Dungy years you are quite correct.

But in fairness to Dungy we were never in a draft position to take the kind of penetrating 'Warren Sapp" type DT on the occasions when they were available. And lets face it....offense was often a priority.

Booger McFarland helped us win the SB...but other than Tony Siragusa, we've been pretty much snake-bitten at the DT position clear back to when we drafted Steve Emtman.

It also takes good linebackers that can read plays well and cover ground quickly incase they do throw under. Stud DTs and Linebackers are personel we currently do not have. Yes Angerer is looking great...but it takes 3. Not 1. Either way...as I said...the defense, or ANY defense, is not meant to be run back to back to back for 4 quarters with pauses in the monotony only for an untimely blitz. During our sb run...we had a mix of different defenses and blitzes. Oh! And a very healthy and studly Bob Sanders to play run stop. One can NEVER underestimate Sanders' role in our playoff defense that year. But again...the tampa 2 defense, while we used it plenty, was not used nonstop for the whole playoffs.

Edited by Chef-Jayson

The 90s was also not as much of a pass happy league as it is today. There were still great QBs, but there wasn't a lot of sharing carries b/w two backs as compared to today. Barry Sanders Emmit Smith etc. With the transition to more passing in this decade, I'm not so sure that defense would work as well as it did. As stated earlier, we would be prone to giving up yardage deep over the middle. I feel the best option now a days is the 3-4 defense. The 4-3 schemes can still be effective if everyone is good at their job. If not, The defense tends to be more predictable and if there is a weak link *cough* Lacey *cough* it can be picked apart.