Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone starting to believe that Wes Welker is actually going to break the receiving yards record held by Jerry Rice? After what he did against the Jets who probably game planned against him the best, I think he'll break it. If he does break it anyone think that he'll be considred for MVP? I mean that record is pretty darn impressive, he should get consideration.

I think he can but you also have to factor in the NE weather late in the year. . .the Pats will be more likely to run the ball. Also teams will adjust and try to focus in on Welker even more but I sure do think he can break it. Had he not been injured that one year he would have broken Marvins reception record. Unfortunately right now Rodgers looks like the MVP front runner. Fantastic pickup by NE, sometimes I wish the Colts would look into F/A more.

Edited by ssarow

Welker is good because of Brady. Put him in Jaksonville and he becomes pedestrian. If he wins MVP over Brady it will be a shame.

Stokeley was also awesome when he was receiving passes from Manning. On other teams he was.....yeah...pedestrian

Wes Welker is an average receiver that becomes a great slot receiver when he has elite QB throwing to him.

Number28 that was the most stupid thing I've read on these forums...

Wes is a hard worker and Brady is not helping him get open either. Brady is not holding his hands and pushing defensive backs around to get Wes open.

Wes can run routes like no other and has amazing skills.

Edited by IcEWoLF

Welker is so in-synch with Brady right now it's surreal. He knows the offense as well as Brady does and they're constantly on the same page. Whether he keeps up the pace or not, I honestly don't care... it seems like seasons filled with record-setting performances and MVP awards usually end badly. I'd rather see the Patriots get back to winning in the playoffs.

BTW, he wasn't a free agent when the Patriots got him in '07. They traded a 2nd round pick to Miami for him.

Welker is so in-synch with Brady right now it's surreal. He knows the offense as well as Brady does and they're constantly on the same page. Whether he keeps up the pace or not, I honestly don't care... it seems like seasons filled with record-setting performances and MVP awards usually end badly. I'd rather see the Patriots get back to winning in the playoffs.

BTW, he wasn't a free agent when the Patriots got him in '07. They traded a 2nd round pick to Miami for him.

2nd and 7th for welker

Wes is a hard worker and Brady is not helping him get open either. Brady is not holding his hands and pushing defensive backs around to get Wes open.

Wes can run routes like no other and has amazing skills.

you can blah blah blah all you want. Put Welker in JAX, ship him back to Miami or put him on any average team and he becomes a pedestrian receiver. Without Brady Welker is average receiver at his best.

Welker, IMO, has been the best player on the Patriots for the past several seasons...although he's never had the astronomical numbers like he does this season. I've said he's the Patriots' MVP the past several seasons and been (and still will be) scoffed at I'm sure since Brady is what most go with.

But seriously...WATCH THE GUY PLAY. He's consistently outstanding every game.

The guy can literally do a little bit of everything. Run flat out, returns, heck even kick field goals. This is on TOP of being the best receiver in the slot I've ever witnessed.

Brady is unquestionably the best QB in the game right now, but Welker just might be the best slot receiver in the history of the sport. Props to him - amazing work ethic and talent. We've seen the Patriots' offense without him and it simply VANISHES when he is absent. (Ravens, Texans) I

If he goes down again, the Patriots will be in serious trouble. Obviously any hit can end it all in the NFL...but due to his size and the amount of throws going his way it makes it all the more likely he'll get lit up/IR'd.. (I hope it doesn't happen)

The Patriots really, really, REALLY need to spread the ball around more to make all but certain Welker is healthy for the playoffs.

Edited by Moose Of Woe

You can take any elite player at any position other than QB and put them on a mediocre team and their stats will suffer. Calvin Johnson already has 9 TDs this year, when he only had 12 last year with his "average" team. His QB is healthy this year and he only needs three more to reach his last year's total. He may do it next game. Does that make him an overrated receiver? Was he not as talented and dominating last year? Not understanding what point you're trying to make here number28...Seems to me like you're stating something obvious.

As to Welker, he is without a doubt the best slot receiver I have ever seen, and with the exception of a few QBs and possibly one or two safeties the smartest football player I have ever seen. His work ethic is unreal, and I seem to remember him injuring his knee and being back in time for the next season. Something about a tear... Anyways, I don't think it is possible for him to win an MVP award even if he is arguably the most important player to their offense. If he leads the league in rec, yards, and TDs they would still probably give it to Brady for getting the ball to him. That's just part of the game.

Wasn't he a walk on in college? And a 7th round draft pick? Seems to me like plenty of people had number28's opinion of him, and it seems to me like he is rubbing their noses in it everyday.

Welker will never sniff an MVP or OPOY award. Its hard enough for anyone other than a QB to get it, and factor in Welker is a SLOT WR and there you have it. What Welker has done and is doing is amazing and should be commended, but when you make a list of the Top 10 WR, you'd be suprised where Welker falls. He's great at what he does, and that is playing the slot.

I was watching the Patriots vs. Jets game. The announcers were talking about how even in the Pro Bowl, Welker was playing hard. One of his Pro Bowl teammates was telling him he can slow down, lol. Welker seems to constantly be fast in everything he does, both on and off the field. He's like one of those over-anxious kids who can't wait to go to Disney Land. You can even see it in his face - it's like his facial expressions are really jerky, like he's taking in too much caffeine.

Edited by ReMeDy

I was watching the Patriots vs. Jets game. The announcers were talking about how even in the Pro Bowl, Welker was playing hard. One of his Pro Bowl teammates was telling him he can slow down, lol. Welker seems to constantly be fast in everything he does, both on and off the field. He's like one of those over-anxious kids who can't wait to go to Disney Land. You can even see it in his face - it's like his facial expressions are really jerky, like he's taking in too much caffeine.

He's like the ferret of the NFL. I don't mean that in a derogatory sense.

are ferrets high energy animals? i don't think i know one person who owns a ferret. seriously. not one. what do they eat? ferret food? anyone own one? i need to know these things!!!

Yeah they're all twitchy and get in to EVERYTHING! Very high strung little critters. lol... the way Wes always twitches his head back and forth while waiting for a kickoff/punt reminds me of one.