Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another arm in the Big Apple

PrincetonTiger

I hadn't seen anything from McElroy to warrent hanging on to...this year or the last couple...but Simms had a spurt there in TB a couple years back that was promising until he got that internal bleeding thing or whatnot. He looked to have pretty good control of the offense and to be an adequate backup. I would keep him if I was them...I wouldnt be happy with my situation....but I'd keep him.

^You're thinking of his brother Chris in Tampa.

My bad....well he looked good again the other night....he plays with some heart...and it looked like the players fed off him. He definately deserves the job....in fact....dare I say start?? Probably wouldn't be worse. I think he would make a nice backup for someone to develope.

My bad....well he looked good again the other night....he plays with some heart...and it looked like the players fed off him. He definately deserves the job....in fact....dare I say start?? Probably wouldn't be worse. I think he would make a nice backup for someone to develope.

Yeah, lots of Jets fans are over the moon about this kid. Can't say I blame them, Geno's performance was a gut punch for a fanbase that was praying he'd save them from Sanchez. And I had to laugh at his enthusiasm against the Giants, he was so fired up he was high fiving everyone in sight.  

It's either him or Geno.  But if you start Geno and he stinks it's harder to pull him... So IA, it might make the most sense to start Simms. He's shown more than the other 3 this preseason. If he sucks, Sanchez to the rescue, when he sucks, Geno to the rescue. And they can just keep cycling like that every 3 games until the end of the season. :rock:

This is a three year old story about Kenbrell Thompkins and Matt Simms and how they both ended up playing on the same juco team after a series of screw ups. It's pretty neat considering both are on the cusp of making their respective rosters. The Patriot fans here might enjoy the parts about Thompkins.  I didn't know he had such a bad background, but it looks like he's really turned his life around.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/the_bonus/08/31/simms.thompkins/index.html

Before last season -- before Featherstone learned of Thompkins' brushes with the law -- he honored Thompkins by making him a team captain and awarding him the number 1 jersey worn by a popular teammate who had recently died. According to the El Camino media guide, Thompkins and every player after him who wears number 1 will do so because he has shown "leadership, courage, commitment, and unselfish concern for team ahead of self." Thompkins bestowed his old jersey number, 2, to the Warriors' new quarterback, who had worn it since grade school.

On off-days, Simms and Thompkins would sprint up a steep, 50-yard sand dune in nearby Manhattan Beach as if there were two scholarships waiting for them at the top. They broke down game film and talked football nonstop. "I told him I wanted to do the Carson Palmer-Chad Johnson thing," Thompkins said with a laugh, "like when Chad Johnson tried to move in with Carson Palmer. Me and Matt hung out together, ate together, we did everything together ..."

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now