Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam Montgomery placed on PUP for being, "woefuly out of shape."

Dustin

Sam Montgomery strength coach at LSU said he was the type of guy to miss workouts and always had an excuse: here is the actual poster posted on his office window for scouts:

Attention NFL Scouts: The following athletes miss workouts and always have an excuse. These men lack the self discipline and motivation to take care of their responsibilities. I will not answer questions regarding their performance numbers or character as they care only about themselves.

Then it was another paper with the list of players names he was referring to and Sam Montgomery name was on it. This was posted in the LSU training room for everybody to see during the scouting process

Then he sorta backtracks his statements I guess because word was getting around about it and said its old news and that if was because they all missed a class. Looks like he was just telling the truth now about his work ethic when it comes to working out

Dead spin has a picture of the poster here:

http://deadspin.com/5971949/heres-the-+y-sign-an-lsu-strength-and-conditioning-coach-used-to-embarrass-motivate-his-players

Sam Montgomery strength coach at LSU said he was the type of guy to miss workouts and always had an excuse: here is the actual poster posted on his office window for scouts:

Attention NFL Scouts: The following athletes miss workouts and always have an excuse. These men lack the self discipline and motivation to take care of their responsibilities. I will not answer questions regarding their performance numbers or character as they care only about themselves.

Then it was another paper with the list of players names he was referring to and Sam Montgomery name was on it. This was posted in the LSU training room for everybody to see during the scouting process

Then he sorta backtracks his statements I guess because word was getting around about it and said its old news and that if was because they all missed a class. Looks like he was just telling the truth now about his work ethic when it comes to working out

http://deadspin.com/5971949/heres-the-+y-sign-an-lsu-strength-and-conditioning-coach-used-to-embarrass-motivate-his-players

Thanks for posting this........

I think what the LSU S&C guy did took real guts...  and I'm sure it had the approval of the HC,  Les Miles.

That's one of the most devastating rip jobs I've ever seen.   It's one thing to have that message for scouts privately,  it's altogether different to do it so publicly.     Holy Cr*p!!      Couldn't help but notice that a number of other players on that list also got drafted by NFL teams,  so it wasn't just Montgomery.

Of course, the shame of it all is that he was being mentioned by some at the start of last year as a 1st round talent.   This is what happens when 1st round talent and ability runs head-long into Free Agent attitude, drive and desire.  

Million dollar talent.    Ten cent head.    Hate guys like that.    What a freaking waste!!!

Thanks for posting this........

I think what the LSU S&C guy did took real guts...  and I'm sure it had the approval of the HC,  Les Miles.

That's one of the most devastating rip jobs I've ever seen.   It's one thing to have that message for scouts privately,  it's altogether different to do it so publicly.     Holy Cr*p!!      Couldn't help but notice that a number of other players on that list also got drafted by NFL teams,  so it wasn't just Montgomery.

Of course, the shame of it all is that he was being mentioned by some at the start of last year as a 1st round talent.   This is what happens when 1st round talent and ability runs head-long into Free Agent attitude, drive and desire.  

Million dollar talent.    Ten cent head.    Hate guys like that.    What a freaking waste!!!

Yeah, he lasted until the third round because of these issues. A lot of people projected him and Mingo to go in the first round together.

If he gets it together, he'll be a really good player. He's a good fit with the Texans, scheme-wise. But having questions about your work ethic for the past several months, then showing up out of shape, it's a big problem.

You'd figure getting manhandled by the A&M tackles would've lit a fire under Sam and reminded him that maybe he wasn't quite as good as he thought he was.

Arrogant players aren't that rare and they aren't necessarily a terrible thing for your team (a little attitude and edge can be a good thing). The players who can pull it off are the ones who have a work ethic and know once they've been whipped, it's time to put in 200% of the work. 

Doesn't seem like Sam got that memo, and that's why I was glad when we didn't draft him. Attitude aside, his game was a little too blue-collar to warrant a high pick.

I notice Tharold Simon's name on that list, too. For those who may not remember, the dude got arrested on draft night in his home town right before Tharold Simon day for acting like an egotistical maniac lol. Teams should be sending that S&C coach a thank you card for shooting straight.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9215595/ex-lsu-tigers-cornerback-tharold-simon-arrested