Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rookie symposium

Warhorse

It is going on right now....and 2 NFL players are released today on murder related events. How is that for (sadly) timely messages to the younger men who now represent the league?

your simply not going to stop every player from making bad choices, Its unrealistic no matter what you teach, some people (yes I said people because these guys are people first and players second) just dont want to listen because they dont care. They simply want what they want and want to get it the QUICKEST way they can get it no matter the cost, others just need time to grow up, like some of these kids that post dumb stuff on twitter or say something through the media thats better left unsaid.......Controrary to what some will think there are also some real evil people out there as well

when did punching someone get you attempted murder charges?

"Walcott turned himself in to authorities on Tuesday morning and was charged with first-degree attempted murder, second-degree aggravated assault and third-degree endangering an injured victim".

http://statutes.laws.com/new-jersey/title-2c/section-2c-12/2c-12-1-2

If this law is accurate and I expect it is (perhaps not for Ohio, not sure of there laws) then its very possible he left the scene believing the person he either allegedly beat up or took part in beating up was either left for dead or incompassitated

when did punching someone get you attempted murder charges?

When you can punch someone so hard they almost die, I suppose. Although I sympathize with him, it seems too harsh.

Depending on your state's law, if the victim fell and hit his head and dies, you may be charged with murder.  In this case the victim is supposedly incapassitated so attempted murder.  If he dies the charges may change to murder.  I'm neither a lawyer nor in law enforcement but cases similar to this has come up.  Again this depends on your state's law. 

Depending on your state's law, if the victim fell and hit his head and dies, you may be charged with murder.  In this case the victim is supposedly incapassitated so attempted murder.  If he dies the charges may change to murder.  I'm neither a lawyer nor in law enforcement but cases similar to this has come up.  Again this depends on your state's law. 

Or if you happen to be a professional boxer. Their fists are registered as lethal weapons. Who knows how hard this victim was hit, but people dying from simple punches aren't a new thing unfortunately.

Even if the victim dies, a single punch to the head in what was likely a heat of the moment incident does not seem to be a 1st degree murder charge.

1st degree means premeditated with intent to kill.

That doesn't appear to be the case.

That still leaves things like 2nd degree murder or manslaughter....

The charges can always be adjusted....    I suspect they will at some point....

Still....   this was the ultimate "stupid Rookie mistake".....       :facepalm: