MTC

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calm the rage and see the reality.

#23 for Luck was generous, if anything.

#15 was appropriate for RG3.

Nice list of accomplishments. I respect the dude and I know he is something special but I just don't think he, or Luck should be sniffing the top 50 on a list like that after their rookie seasons. Would RG3 still be ahead of Luck on the back side of the top 50...yes.

This is not the only debatable placement of players on this list... RG3's placement just shouts out at me that this list holds little validity and is for nothing more than fun and hype.

The one stat left out in that list was the one about how RG3 had a less then 50% completion rating in his first playoff appearance to go along with his pristine regular season accolades... oh, and only 84 yards passing... zero of which came in the 4th quarter. He coupled that with one of his worst rushing performances of the season and topped it all off with a fumblerooski and a torn ACL... but, I gotta give him credit where credit is due.

I mean, if you think about it... he was battling Joe Webb for worst performance in the Wildcard round of the playoffs. It's close... REAL CLOSE!

Some of those stats are misleading....Such as his first game being for over 300 yards........88 of those came on a 15 yard pass to Garcon where he ran after the catch.....The biggest issue I have with it is this, yes he had a much higher completion percentage, yes he had more yards.He averaged 8.1 yards per attempt.......But take away that 88 yarder that was a short pass and you have 7.9 yards per attempt.....Also Luck had 28 total TD's to Griffins 27.Luck had 23 turnovers but he was asked to pass alot more(393 to 627 is a huge amount) . Ultimately I have NO dog in this fight, I really like both stars and Griffin was very impressive, But 15th on the list? Come on now

I tend to take Kurt Warner's viewpoint. Like the rookies a lot, but let's all take a step back and see if they can sustain. :)

So we should all take a step back and see if they can take a step forward? That's a lot of stepping but I like it. :applause:

This list just tells me NFL players recognize the abilities of Luck and RG3 and that they will pose significant issues for opponents next season.  In other words, they're not counting on sophomore slumps for either of these two.

This list tells me that the few players who actually voted aren't very bright.....or they let their wives, kids, or friends fill out the ballot.

• 2 weeks later...

1.Drew Brees-43 TD passes to only 19 picks. Also was third in the league in completions, was near the top of the league in yards per completion among QB's with 400 or more pass attempts (2ND actully) and plays at the most important position on the team

, A 63.0 completion percentage

2.Aaron Rodgers-67.2 completion percentage out of 552 pass attempts along with 39 td's and only 8 picks despite being sacked 51 times and a 7.8 yards per completion

3.Peyton Manning-Missed the entire prior year BUT I WONT factor that into his year seeing as how he did statistically did not miss a beat-Had 400 completions out of 583 pass attempts a 68.3 completion percentage but had slightly less TD' passes and more interceptions then the top 2 QB's

4.Tom Brady-34 TD's only 8 picks 63.0 completion percentage

5.Matt Ryan-32 td's and 14 picks throwing 615 times completing 68.6 of those passes

6.Tony Romo (what? Romo inside the top 10?...He gets to much flack for being a very good QB) regardless 4903 yards passing 28 td's and 19 picks. 7.6 yards per completion behind what was a bad O Line last year, Also a 65.6 completion percentage, I wonder what he would have done behind a better O Line where he didn't have to scramble so much

7.Ryan Clady-started 16 games last year and according to Pro Football Weekly only allowed 1 sack and had 3 penalties, That folks is an elite LT at very likely the 2nd most important position on offense next to QB

8.Calvin Johnson-122 receptions on 205 targets, 1964 yards and 5 TD's despite being easily the Lions biggest scoring threat. 16.1 yards per catch

9.JJ Watt- 20 sacks 81 tackles and 4 forced fumbles, the guy is a game wrecker who had an outstanding year

10.Brandon Marshall- 118 catches on 194 targets for a 60.8 catch rate with 11 TD's and 12.8 yards per catch

11.Adrian Peterson-Not much needs to be said his stats speak for themselves, 2097 yards rushing 6.0 yards per carry, 22 rushing TD's along with 40 receptions and a TD to top it all off, The dude was a stud pre injury and nothing has changed post injury, Just for added affect which is not needed, he had 27 rushes that went for 20 plus yards......27! The next highest guy was Spiller with 12. Peterson also ran for more 1st downs then any other running back in the league

12.Aldon Smith-1st in Linebackers with 19.5 sacks 2nd overall in the league, had a INT and 3 forced fumbles, elite at his position, also 2nd to Von Miller in tackles at OLB

13.Von Miller-18.5 sacks 68 tackles 6 forced fumbles an INT and two passes defensed, a great year

14.Richard Sherman-The 2nd most ints in the league last year with 8 but he had 3 more passes defensed then then Tim Jennings who had 9 Ints to lead the league , Sherman also added a sack and 64 tackles plus 3 forced fumbles

15.Tim Jennings-Who in the world would have thought he would even be considered for the list let alone be in my top 20, 9 Ints to lead the league, 21 passes defensed to go along with 60 tackles

16.Patrick Peterson 7 Ints 16 pass defensed along with 55 tackles turning into an elite Corner

17.Luke Keuchley- Lead the league with 164 tackles, added 8 passes defensed 1 sack and 2 Ints

18.Chad Greenway-148 tackles tied for 2nd in the league, had 3 sacks , 4 passes defensed and an Int

19.Navarro Bowman-Does not get as much coverage among the media as his counter part Patrick Willis but he had an excellent year with 148 tackles 2 sacks, 6 passes defensed and an Int

20.Jerod Mayo-147 tackles 3 sacks, 3 passes defensed and a int and 4 forced fumbles

21.Alfred Morris-Burst onto the scene as a rookie as another product of Shanahans Zone Blocking scheme, He had 13 td's rushing to go along with 11 receptions for 77 yards and 83 of his 335 rushes went for first downs

22.Cameron Wake-Had an excellent year worthy of a top 25 spot on the list with 15 sacks which surpassed his previous career high set in 2010 with 14 sacks, He also added 3 forced fumbles and 3 Stuffs

23.Geno Adkins-Had 53 combined tackles 12.5 sacks 2 passes defensed and 4 forced fumbles, Is truely a disruptive force on the interior of that Bengals D Line

24.Marshawn Lynch-1590 rushing yards 11 td's along with 5 yards per carry, The dude is a extremely hard runner

25.Jammal Charles-Is deadly out in the open field even after a serious injury, averaged 5.3 ypc along with 1509 rushing yards

Part 2 to come next week

Continued below.......

The question that should be asked:  how many players could have been put in Luck's shoes: at the helm of a rookie filled, downfield happy offense with one of the leakiest lines in football, and taken the Colts from 2 wins to 11?

Rodgers, yes, and a "maybe" list that you can count on one hand.  

The guy has the kind of invisible juice that can't be taught. 

I tend to take Kurt Warner's viewpoint. Like the rookies a lot, but let's all take a step back and see if they can sustain. :)

Consistency. Year in year out...I've got no problem with that NFL measurement test at all. Good point stat2883. Luck show me you are elite as each season passes by. Besides, SW1 can't take a step back & he sucks at line dancing anyway. Just Kidding! 

1.Drew Brees-43 TD passes to only 19 picks. Also was third in the league in completions, was near the top of the league in yards per completion among QB's with 400 or more pass attempts (2ND actully) and plays at the most important position on the team

, A 63.0 completion percentage

2.Aaron Rodgers-67.2 completion percentage out of 552 pass attempts along with 39 td's and only 8 picks despite being sacked 51 times and a 7.8 yards per completion

3.Peyton Manning-Missed the entire prior year BUT I WONT factor that into his year seeing as how he did statistically did not miss a beat-Had 400 completions out of 583 pass attempts a 68.3 completion percentage but had slightly less TD' passes and more interceptions then the top 2 QB's

4.Tom Brady-34 TD's only 8 picks 63.0 completion percentage

5.Matt Ryan-32 td's and 14 picks throwing 615 times completing 68.6 of those passes

6.Tony Romo (what? Romo inside the top 10?...He gets to much flack for being a very good QB) regardless 4903 yards passing 28 td's and 19 picks. 7.6 yards per completion behind what was a bad O Line last year, Also a 65.6 completion percentage, I wonder what he would have done behind a better O Line where he didn't have to scramble so much

7.Ryan Clady-started 16 games last year and according to Pro Football Weekly only allowed 1 sack and had 3 penalties, That folks is an elite LT at very likely the 2nd most important position on offense next to QB

8.Calvin Johnson-122 receptions on 205 targets, 1964 yards and 5 TD's despite being easily the Lions biggest scoring threat. 16.1 yards per catch

9.JJ Watt- 20 sacks 81 tackles and 4 forced fumbles, the guy is a game wrecker who had an outstanding year

10.Brandon Marshall- 118 catches on 194 targets for a 60.8 catch rate with 11 TD's and 12.8 yards per catch

11.Adrian Peterson-Not much needs to be said his stats speak for themselves, 2097 yards rushing 6.0 yards per carry, 22 rushing TD's along with 40 receptions and a TD to top it all off, The dude was a stud pre injury and nothing has changed post injury, Just for added affect which is not needed, he had 27 rushes that went for 20 plus yards......27! The next highest guy was Spiller with 12. Peterson also ran for more 1st downs then any other running back in the league

12.Aldon Smith-1st in Linebackers with 19.5 sacks 2nd overall in the league, had a INT and 3 forced fumbles, elite at his position, also 2nd to Von Miller in tackles at OLB

13.Von Miller-18.5 sacks 68 tackles 6 forced fumbles an INT and two passes defensed, a great year

14.Richard Sherman-The 2nd most ints in the league last year with 8 but he had 3 more passes defensed then then Tim Jennings who had 9 Ints to lead the league , Sherman also added a sack and 64 tackles plus 3 forced fumbles

15.Tim Jennings-Who in the world would have thought he would even be considered for the list let alone be in my top 20, 9 Ints to lead the league, 21 passes defensed to go along with 60 tackles

16.Patrick Peterson 7 Ints 16 pass defensed along with 55 tackles turning into an elite Corner

17.Luke Keuchley- Lead the league with 164 tackles, added 8 passes defensed 1 sack and 2 Ints

18.Chad Greenway-148 tackles tied for 2nd in the league, had 3 sacks , 4 passes defensed and an Int

19.Navarro Bowman-Does not get as much coverage among the media as his counter part Patrick Willis but he had an excellent year with 148 tackles 2 sacks, 6 passes defensed and an Int

20.Jerod Mayo-147 tackles 3 sacks, 3 passes defensed and a int and 4 forced fumbles

21.Alfred Morris-Burst onto the scene as a rookie as another product of Shanahans Zone Blocking scheme, He had 13 td's rushing to go along with 11 receptions for 77 yards and 83 of his 335 rushes went for first downs

22.Cameron Wake-Had an excellent year worthy of a top 25 spot on the list with 15 sacks which surpassed his previous career high set in 2010 with 14 sacks, He also added 3 forced fumbles and 3 Stuffs

23.Geno Adkins-Had 53 combined tackles 12.5 sacks 2 passes defensed and 4 forced fumbles, Is truely a disruptive force on the interior of that Bengals D Line

24.Marshawn Lynch-1590 rushing yards 11 td's along with 5 yards per carry, The dude is a extremely hard runner

25.Jammal Charles-Is deadly out in the open field even after a serious injury, averaged 5.3 ypc along with 1509 rushing yards

Part 2 to come next week

Continued below.......

Impressive list there Gavin, which clearly look time to compile, but why is JJ Watt at #9?  "The guy is a game wrecker who had an outstanding year." Game wreckers as you call them are usually within the top 3 to me. I will admit that I am biased when it comes to JJ Watt. A game crusher at UW-Madison that simply was relentless & took over games shedding blockers & throwing QBs down like rag dolls. A man among boys literally.  

Putting Luck or any player at a definite spot in a Top 100 list is completely arbitrary.

That said, I don't believe that #23 for last season is so unreasonable like some posters are acting like on here. He had a great season for a rookie QB. Any time you set a rookie record (or any record) in the NFL you had a spectacular season (assuming we are talking about "positive" stats and not turnovers, etc.). And it most definitely is not "average" as one person said earlier in this thread-- I think just to get a rise out of people.

Also, any time you try to have an aggregate ranking that involves all positions you are essentially going to be doing an apples-to-oranges comparison that makes a list even more arbitrary than already is. I mean, how can you honestly value a cornerback and a quarterback on equal terms? It is very difficult because "production" at those two positions is evaluated in a completely different way. These lists are just there to create debate, which was obviously a success.

I was going to create a Top 10 'List of Lists', and rank them in order of greatness, but I got cold feet in case people got irate because I put ESPN's Power Rankings ahead of the NFL's Top 20 Coaches Ever. Although my personal favourite, the Top 5 All Time Sporting Cheats may have been upsetting to my friends from Foxboro....

Maybe next year....

Impressive list there Gavin, which clearly look time to compile, but why is JJ Watt at #9?  "The guy is a game wrecker who had an outstanding year." Game wreckers as you call them are usually within the top 3 to me. I will admit that I am biased when it comes to JJ Watt. A game crusher at UW-Madison that simply was relentless & took over gaHe should have been higher I agree, I had tropmes shedding blockers & throwing QBs down like rag dolls. A man among boys literally.  

He should have been higher on my list, I agree. The problem is Ihad trouble taking out any og the QB's on that list, Peterson also had a spectacular year but same problem, I consider QB the most important position on the field any every QB I named had a big year, I couldn't start dropping them because some of there teams did not make the playoffs either or Johnson would have been MUCH lower and probably should have been lower anyway for lack of td's, Not perfect but also not going to be. Its all opinion based