Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South Notes & Salary Cap figures from Kuharsky....

NewColtsFan

ESPN's AFC South Blogger Paul Kuharsky has notes on which South Team rookies have signed and which have not...    and, more important for our group here....   the team salary cap numbers for all three teams.

FYI:   The Colts reportedly have $8.5 Mill to spend....   this is not a lot.   I don't think the Werner contract is factored in yet...   and, if we sign Bradshaw, even to a smaller contract, I'd have to assume it will eat into our cap number as well...    In short,  we don't have a lot of room left...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/50688/cap-and-rookie-signing-report

ESPN's AFC South Blogger Paul Kuharsky has notes on which South Team rookies have signed and which have not...    and, more important for our group here....   the team salary cap numbers for all three teams.

FYI:   The Colts reportedly have $8.5 Mill to spend....   this is not a lot.   I don't think the Werner contract is factored in yet...   and, if we sign Bradshaw, even to a smaller contract, I'd have to assume it will eat into our cap number as well...    In short,  we don't have a lot of room left...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/50688/cap-and-rookie-signing-report

Quit being a baby, we have enough for both easily, and we still will be able to sign a vet corner.....

Quit being a baby, we have enough for both easily, and we still will be able to sign a vet corner.....

Huh?

I made no editorial comment one way or the other.    I stated facts.    I realize those make you painfully uncomfortable,  but they are what they are.

I don't know what set you off,   but don't do it again.     Pull your head out of your....   well...   you know....   and move on....

I'm well aware we have more than enough to do what we need to do.      Get a grip.

Huh?

I made no editorial comment one way or the other.    I stated facts.    I realize those make you painfully uncomfortable,  but they are what they are.

I don't know what set you off,   but don't do it again.     Pull your head out of your....   well...   you know....   and move on....

I'm well aware we have more than enough to do what we need to do.      Get a grip.

image.jpg

HALELUJAH!!! AND AMEN!!!

What are the Jags gonna do with all of that cap room? I mean, we've seen how well they do with high draft picks, so I guess not much can be expected, but it looks like they will be in line to make some big moves next offseason... My prediction: They grossly overpay for a FA QB and continue to stink for the foreseeable future...

Tennessee made their moves this offseason, FTMP. They will be better than they were last year and still have a good cap set up for next offseason...

Texans will have to make room, it looks like.. They still have the most talented roster in the division, but...

the one thing that still staggers me is how Indy seems to be the only team in the AFC South that understands that its much easier to be successful if you have a QB. Great RBs are nice to have, but great QBs make everybody on the offense better. I know that Peyton Mannings and Andrew Lucks do not grow on trees, but you can only beat a busted mare so much before you're... you know how the saying goes.. Once the Colts take the division back, they aren't going to give it up for a long while...

What are the Jags gonna do with all of that cap room? I mean, we've seen how well they do with high draft picks, so I guess not much can be expected, but it looks like they will be in line to make some big moves next offseason... My prediction: They grossly overpay for a FA QB and continue to stink for the foreseeable future...

Tennessee made their moves this offseason, FTMP. They will be better than they were last year and still have a good cap set up for next offseason...

Texans will have to make room, it looks like.. They still have the most talented roster in the division, but...

the one thing that still staggers me is how Indy seems to be the only team in the AFC South that understands that its much easier to be successful if you have a QB. Great RBs are nice to have, but great QBs make everybody on the offense better. I know that Peyton Mannings and Andrew Lucks do not grow on trees, but you can only beat a busted mare so much before you're... you know how the saying goes.. Once the Colts take the division back, they aren't going to give it up for a long while...

Well they can always pick up a slew of kickers from the FA pile, I hear they like kickers a great deal.....Better yet they can also play musical chairs with there wr's and completely avoid the fact that they have no QB.........Cleveland has done it for years only they keep rotating QB's instead of wr's year after year after year all the while avoiding the fact they have mostly crap at wr.....Hey if Cleveland can find 1 wr with decent hands (Josh Gordon) Im sure Jacksonville can find a QB that plays with his open :thmsup:  :funny:

Jags have new GM and a new coach so I thinks it's kinda hard to predict what they will do.

Exactly, most teams don't have the benefit of picking #1 when a once in a generation, game-changing QB is there to be picked. The Colts got extremely lucky... twice.

Exactly, most teams don't have the benefit of picking #1 when a once in a generation, game-changing QB is there to be picked. The Colts got extremely lucky... twice.

Simple, succinct, & secondarily profound Anton.  :thmup:  "Twice" for double the impact... :D

Well they can always pick up a slew of kickers from the FA pile, I hear they like kickers a great deal.....Better yet they can also play musical chairs with there wr's and completely avoid the fact that they have no QB.........Cleveland has done it for years only they keep rotating QB's instead of wr's year after year after year all the while avoiding the fact they have mostly crap at wr.....Hey if Cleveland can find 1 wr with decent hands (Josh Gordon) Im sure Jacksonville can find a QB that plays with his open :thmsup:  :funny:

LOL Gavin...Between Cleveland & Jacksonville, which team will fall apart first & still retain a better 2013 NFL record? Which team will undergo less of an implosion? Or which team will create the smallest chaotic crater?

LOL Gavin...Between Cleveland & Jacksonville, which team will fall apart first & still retain a better 2013 NFL record? Which team will undergo less of an implosion? Or which team will create the smallest chaotic crater?

Are either teams really a team? For the record Im not debating that both clubs have talent on there rosters, They clearly do, but unless that talent plays as a unit then you have 52 players and NOT a team......As to who will fall apart first.........Jacksonville, Gabbert is not a starting QB in the league, If you dont have a QB your doomed........On the other hand Cleveland has 2 decent but way far from great QB's (far from great and neither long term guy in my opinion with Weeden 29 and Josh Campbell 31) and only 1 wr that showed up last year........So either Gabbert finds his inner QB somewhere buried down deep inside or the Browns start rummaging the CFL for WR's with hands...........whichever happens first wins ;)  :funny:

I think Cleveland get a bit of a hard time. They competed last season against top opposition. Two good pass rushers added, Richardson and Weeden with a year under their belts. The could easily be an 8-8 team.

Jags have new GM and a new coach so I thinks it's kinda hard to predict what they will do.

Point taken about the Jags. That being said, I understand (as I basically wrote in my post) that going from Manning to Luck is extremely rare... almost unheard of, really. However, I feel like the other teams in the AFC South have either stubbornly held on to QBs whose ceilings are low or just drafted poorly at the position... Sure, its not easy to find an elite prospect, but if you look at all of the QBs that those teams have passed on, then compare them to who they have or have drafted, a pattern emerges, one of bad drafts, and overpayed RBs and defensive players... all of the teams seemed to build their rosters around stopping Manning and killing clock instead of taking the hint and building an offense around a talented QB... JMO, but I understand hanging on to Shaub, he's not great, but has hovered around "above average" for some time, but to draft Locker and Gabbert were big mistakes by the other two, sticking with them is even sillier... If either are still starting by the start of the 2014 season I will eat my hat... 

Point taken about the Jags. That being said, I understand (as I basically wrote in my post) that going from Manning to Luck is extremely rare... almost unheard of, really. However, I feel like the other teams in the AFC South have either stubbornly held on to QBs whose ceilings are low or just drafted poorly at the position... Sure, its not easy to find an elite prospect, but if you look at all of the QBs that those teams have passed on, then compare them to who they have or have drafted, a pattern emerges, one of bad drafts, and overpayed RBs and defensive players... all of the teams seemed to build their rosters around stopping Manning and killing clock instead of taking the hint and building an offense around a talented QB... JMO, but I understand hanging on to Shaub, he's not great, but has hovered around "above average" for some time, but to draft Locker and Gabbert were big mistakes by the other two, sticking with them is even sillier... If either are still starting by the start of the 2014 season I will eat my hat... 

You need to take into account the very poor QB draft class this year. Plus veteran FA QBs or any quality are becoming a rare commodity too.

You need to take into account the very poor QB draft class this year. Plus veteran FA QBs or any quality are becoming a rare commodity too.

You are correct... and hindsight is 20/20... I would just hate to be part of a fan base who's team went from Brunell to Leftwich, Garrard, the Gabbert... each new guy is worse than the last.. or..

From McNair to Vince Young (honest mistake), Kerry Collins, then Locker... The two years where they had Hasselbeck were when they had their best QB since Warren Moon and they benched him for Locker (who is never going to be good, IMO)

The Texans have never had a QB that I would want on my team... Maybe Schaub as 18 or 12's back up... Carr would have fit the back up role well, too.

It just seems that as amazing as Indy's luck has been, the other teams have not been able to find a decent QB since the division was created in its current form... Maybe I was off base to claim that the other teams don't know the value of the QB position, IDK,, I do know that the Colts will become as hated as the Pats if they hit any more home runs (mixing metaphors) in the draft... I think that many fans could have drafted more successfully than Jax has recently, including this offseason... I do see what you are saying, though... I would say the same thing if I weren't so intent on ramming Indy's success down the throats of all the other teams in the AFCS, and, indeed, the rest of the NFL as a whole..

You are correct... and hindsight is 20/20... I would just hate to be part of a fan base who's team went from Brunell to Leftwich, Garrard, the Gabbert... each new guy is worse than the last.. or..

From McNair to Vince Young (honest mistake), Kerry Collins, then Locker... The two years where they had Hasselbeck were when they had their best QB since Warren Moon and they benched him for Locker (who is never going to be good, IMO)

The Texans have never had a QB that I would want on my team... Maybe Schaub as 18 or 12's back up... Carr would have fit the back up role well, too.

It just seems that as amazing as Indy's luck has been, the other teams have not been able to find a decent QB since the division was created in its current form... Maybe I was off base to claim that the other teams don't know the value of the QB position, IDK,, I do know that the Colts will become as hated as the Pats if they hit any more home runs (mixing metaphors) in the draft... I think that many fans could have drafted more successfully than Jax has recently, including this offseason... I do see what you are saying, though... I would say the same thing if I weren't so intent on ramming Indy's success down the throats of all the other teams in the AFCS, and, indeed, the rest of the NFL as a whole..

Point taken. However I think the recent emergence of incredible young QBs has given some people unrealistic expectations. Locker is still young and I think he develops into a decent player. Gabbert maybe not. Schaub is a good QB.

I guess scouting hasn't been up to scratch to an extent for these teams, but as you say, hindsight is 20/20... how easy is it to say now these teams should have taken Kaepernick or Wilson.