Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would the Jags be open to trading Blackmon considering his off the field troubles?

jshipp23

Why is there an actual conversation about whether to give up a 1 or a 2 or a 3 for Blackmon.

I repeat,  if Blackmon has another serious off the field issue,  he is suspended for one full year.

That type of player is no longer worth a 1 or a 2 or a 3.     Why is this hard to figure out?       :scratch:       :dunno:

Because he is a freak of nature, and we will never be able to get a guy like that picking 28-32 every year..The only way to get a specimen like him are circumstances like this...

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is there an actual conversation about whether to give up a 1 or a 2 or a 3 for Blackmon.

I repeat,  if Blackmon has another serious off the field issue,  he is suspended for one full year.

That type of player is no longer worth a 1 or a 2 or a 3.     Why is this hard to figure out?       :scratch:       :dunno:

Because of his ridiculous talent. A year or two ago, everybody was saying the same thing about Dez Bryant. How he was such an * and he'd never last in the NFL, well look at him now. I'm pretty sure any team would give up a 1st round pick for Dez, especially a team that will likely be picking in the late 20s or 30s. Blackmon has the potential to be a top 5 receiver, and better than Bryant.

Blackmon was not worth the 5th pick last draft... Physically gifted, but mentally challenged..

His lack of intelligence and self control will prevent him from being anything special in this league, if playing for Jax doesn't already do that..

The kid has bust written all over him IMO.. I was happy that the Jags drafted him and I'd rather have DHB than him on my team and in my locker room...Blackmon might have better numbers than DHB this season (doubtful with Gabbert throwing and him missing at least 4 games) and it would make no difference to me. He is a headache and a distraction.

Blackmon is a bum.. he will never be elite and giving up a first for him would be phenomenally foolish. I would say he's worth a 4th, but I wouldn't touch him with a 39 1/2 foot pole, either way...

Of course, Scott Skiles was arrested for cocaine and marijuana possession before he was drafted into the NBA... soooo.... :sarcasm:

Because of his ridiculous talent. A year or two ago, everybody was saying the same thing about Dez Bryant. How he was such an * and he'd never last in the NFL, well look at him now. I'm pretty sure any team would give up a 1st round pick for Dez, especially a team that will likely be picking in the late 20s or 30s. Blackmon has the potential to be a top 5 receiver, and better than Bryant.

I think we're overstating Blackmon's potential a little bit, but let's go with it.

Who are the top five receivers in the league right now? I don't know exactly what that list would be, but it would include incredibly gifted and productive guys like Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Brandon Marshall, for sure. None of those three guys were in the playoffs last year. Two of them have decent to pretty good quarterbacks, and they still didn't make the postseason.

Dez Bryant, Victor Cruz, Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston, Stevie Johnson, Steve Smith... all top notch guys who can pace an offense as a receiver, but they are luxuries. Very nice to have, but I don't think you should go out of your way to get an elite receiver in the NFL. The passing game is too diverse, there are too many ways to be efficient and score points, and when you have a good quarterback (which we hopefully do), you don't really need the prototypical go-to receiver.

I'd like to have any of them, and Blackmon certainly has a lot of potential. But I wouldn't give up significant assets for most of the guys I just listed, much less a guy in his second year who has self-inflicted baggage like Blackmon. Maybe if I had a team that was knocking on the door, and a top flight receiver could push my offense to the next level. But I'm not sure we're at that point right now. I'd rather let the pieces we have get locked into place, and then address this impending receiver need in the future.

JMO

I think in the right program with Luck as his QB he could be an ELITE receiver...It would be worth the phone call to see if they would take a 1st round pick next year..I would do that deal in a second, he has the physical skills to be the Best receiver in the NFL within a few years instead of wasting away in Jacksonville.....

He does not have the physical taents to be the best receiver in the NFL of Calvin Johnson is the best receiver in the NFL.

WE are strong at WR and I wouldnt give up a No.1 (maybe a No. 2) for Justin Blackmon. I dont think anybody would

I think we're overstating Blackmon's potential a little bit, but let's go with it.

Who are the top five receivers in the league right now? I don't know exactly what that list would be, but it would include incredibly gifted and productive guys like Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Brandon Marshall, for sure. None of those three guys were in the playoffs last year. Two of them have decent to pretty good quarterbacks, and they still didn't make the postseason.

Dez Bryant, Victor Cruz, Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston, Stevie Johnson, Steve Smith... all top notch guys who can pace an offense as a receiver, but they are luxuries. Very nice to have, but I don't think you should go out of your way to get an elite receiver in the NFL. The passing game is too diverse, there are too many ways to be efficient and score points, and when you have a good quarterback (which we hopefully do), you don't really need the prototypical go-to receiver.

I'd like to have any of them, and Blackmon certainly has a lot of potential. But I wouldn't give up significant assets for most of the guys I just listed, much less a guy in his second year who has self-inflicted baggage like Blackmon. Maybe if I had a team that was knocking on the door, and a top flight receiver could push my offense to the next level. But I'm not sure we're at that point right now. I'd rather let the pieces we have get locked into place, and then address this impending receiver need in the future.

JMO

If Luck had Blackmon he would be a top 5 guy year 1, look what he did with Henne throwing him the ball when he was doubled....

I dont see the ridiculous talent

He is not overly fast and not overly big.....

I wouldnt give up a No.1 for Dez Bryant.

The Colts dont need receivers. They are well-stocked

He's decent, but top 5? No way he'd be better than Calvin, Fitz, Marshall, Dez, AJ Green, Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, and Roddy White.

Andre is on the decline..with Luck, the only receivers I'd put ahead are Megatron, Julio Jones, and it would be a toss up between him and Dez and Green...

I dont see the ridiculous talent

He is not overly fast and not overly big.....

I wouldnt give up a No.1 for Dez Bryant.

The Colts dont need receivers. They are well-stocked

Yes we are overstocked with #2 receivers, I'm hoping HBD can be a number 1, but I still need to see it...

Andre is on the decline..with Luck, the only receivers I'd put ahead are Megatron, Julio Jones, and it would be a toss up between him and Dez and Green...

He's not all that special. He was considered a huge reach for a reason.

He's not big, he's not overly fast, not really strong, solid hands, solid route running. He's basically Michael Crabtree.

I think Darius Heyward Bey is better than Blackmon.....

.....He's a very young veteran coming to a big-time passing team.

I think you will see it...

////But lets keep our No.1 for 2014......we still need help in other positions (read: O-line and D-line)

He's not all that special. He was considered a huge reach for a reason.

He's not big, he's not overly fast, not really strong, solid hands, solid route running. He's basically Michael Crabtree.

I may be biased, I had my eye on him a few years b4 he came out, he is a special guy, I don't care about the measurables I know what I saw on field in college and last year when they got him the ball....He is a special player, and I'd say better than Crabtree, he is more violent and Garcon' like with better skills...

////But lets keep our No.1 for 2014......we still need help in other positions (read: O-line and D-line)

I hope so, I like DHB as well, but can u imagine that tandem though???

I think the o-line and d-line will surprise ya....If you said RB I'd understand..

Because he is a freak of nature, and we will never be able to get a guy like that picking 28-32 every year..The only way to get a specimen like him are circumstances like this...

There are good receivers picked every year in every draft after the first round.

You just refuse to believe it.

And he is no freak of nature.    He's not even close.

He's 6'1" and less than 210.     He does not have elite size.

He runs in the 4.5's.                 He does not have elite speed.

He's runs good, but not great patterns.

He's got good, but not great hands.

There's no freak of nature here.    He's played his way off of elite status and he's on the discount shelf.

Never pay full price.      One more off the field mistake and he's suspended for a year.    For some reason this is not sinking in your head?       That alone has him on the discount shelf. 

He was never in the same class as AJ Green or Julio Jones,  or any other elite receiver.    He's good,  but he's not that good.

Blackmon is not in the same class as Dez Bryant.    He maybe someday,  but he's not there now.

Bryant is bigger, faster, and is more explosive.    Oh,  and he's had several years where he underachieved before showing up pretty well for the final half of the season.    You're turned on by way too little.

He's been in the NFL for 3 seasons.    He underachieved for two and a half of them, and is starting to reach his skill level for the last half of the most recent year.     

And Blackmon is not nearly as good as Bryant.

There are good receivers picked every year in every draft after the first round.

You just refuse to believe it.

And he is no freak of nature.    He's not even close.

He's 6'1" and less than 210.     He does not have elite size.

He runs in the 4.5's.                 He does not have elite speed.

He's runs good, but not great patterns.

He's got good, but not great hands.

There's no freak of nature here.    He's played his way off of elite status and he's on the discount shelf.

Never pay full price.      One more off the field mistake and he's suspended for a year.    For some reason this is not sinking in your head?       That alone has him on the discount shelf. 

He was never in the same class as AJ Green or Julio Jones,  or any other elite receiver.    He's good,  but he's not that good.

People said the same thing about Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin...smdh

Blackmon is not in the same class as Dez Bryant.    He maybe someday,  but he's not there now.

Bryant is bigger, faster, and is more explosive.    Oh,  and he's had several years where he underachieved before showing up pretty well for the final half of the season.    You're turned on by way too little.

He's been in the NFL for 3 seasons.    He underachieved for two and a half of them, and is starting to reach his skill level for the last half of the most recent year.     

And Blackmon is not nearly as good as Bryant.

Blackmon will be and is better than Bryant given a quarterback and a chance, just watch the film, and Bryant is dumber than a bag of hammers and a headcase...Blackmon has some intelligence about him, but is still a kid and made mistakes...

People said the same thing about Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin...smdh

No,  they didn't.    They really didn't.

The only negative against Rice was speed,  nothing else.

And there was barely a negative word about Irvin,  he was taken 11th and no one said the Cowboys reached for him.

Keep shaking your head.....

No,  they didn't.    They really didn't.

The only negative against Rice was speed,  nothing else.

And there was barely a negative word about Irvin,  he was taken 11th and no one said the Cowboys reached for him.

Keep shaking your head.....

Who said anyone reached for Blackmon??, He was the top receiver by far the previous 2 years in college..

Who said anyone reached for Blackmon??, He was the top receiver by far the previous 2 years in college..

He wasn't better than Green or Julio if that's what you're implying. I might be reading that wrong though.

He wasn't better than Green or Julio if that's what you're implying. I might be reading that wrong though.

His last 2 years in college he was the best , just my opinion...I think he could be better than Green, Julio is a big play machine, but I think Blackmon could be better all around if he was 100% committed and had a good coach and qb.....

I know, Thats not the problem, The problem would be the time he would miss if he got busted again

Im not arguing that point...It's a risk with a huge payoff if it worked and he got it, but if he didn't we wasted a late 1st rounder..No risk , no reward...I just don't see how we get a stud receiver otherwise..We have very good #2 receivers and a possible #1 in dhb, but it's not the same as having that Megatron, Green, Johnson, Jones type ....We haven't had that since Marvin was in his prime as good as Reggie is, he was never that...

Im not arguing that point...It's a risk with a huge payoff if it worked and he got it, but if he didn't we wasted a late 1st rounder..No risk , no reward...I just don't see how we get a stud receiver otherwise..We have very good #2 receivers and a possible #1 in dhb, but it's not the same as having that Megatron, Green, Johnson, Jones type ....We haven't had that since Marvin was in his prime as good as Reggie is, he was never that...

I have my eye on a few very good wr's who will likely come out in the 2014 draft......Honestly more often then not your QB is largely responsible for making your QB good or great, you dont have a QB then you dont have any WR's in many cases...QB's get the wr's the ball after all, if they can catch it then they can put up elite numbers, many wr's who did not have the fastest 40 or jump the highest or weren't the tallent went on to be great, Anyway here are some wr's I have my eye on:

Jordan Matthews

Cody Hoffman

Mike Evans

Marqise Lee

Sammy Watkins

Austen Hill

Among others who I will be watching alot whenever I can

I didn't think Blackmon was worth the 5th pick. If I'm taking a receiver that high he better have AJ Green/Julio Jones potential....and I don't think Blackmon does.

No way to know that....Couldn't hurt for sure.

Historically speaking, what difference does an elite receiver make on a team's win/loss record? How many games did the Cardinals win last year? What about the Lions? When Andre Johnson was leading the league in catches and yards, why weren't the Texans in contention?

I'm not saying that don't think it's good to have a potential elite playmaker at receiver. I'd love to have a guy with Blackmon's potential. I'm just saying that, given where our team is right now, I don't think it would be a wise use of our resources to give up a high pick for one. You can make due with a solid stable of receivers in today's NFL.

That's before we acknowledge Blackmon's off the field issues and how those could kill your return on investment.

I read several stories about teams who didn't list Blackmon as a first round talent.

He was not a consensus franchise wide receiver.    Some teams (like J'Ville) clearly thought he was worth a high pick.

But plenty did not.     Look at the recent story we had about Dallas and their draft boards.   Every team sees the same thing differently,  especially when it comes to players who have strikes against them,  or,  not enough pluses in their favor.

I'm not saying Blackmon isn't a good player.    I'm not saying he's not capable of being better than he currently is.   I'm sure he can.

I'm just saying he's not currently elite,  he's damaged goods,  he's a strike away from a year long suspension, and he hasn't wowed anyone yet....   so I'm not interested in paying full price to get him.  And that's what it would cost to get J'Ville to trade him to the Colts.

At a discount price?    Sure.    But at full price?    Not a chance.

Being a freak of nature and a 'specimen' is physical.  Without the mental the other makes no difference.  For you to think the Colts couldn't find a #1 receiver in a late 1st round pick is wrong. For some reason you seem to be stuck on this guy. That's your opinion and that is fine but it is not shared by many. There have been a lot of players who have the physical aspect of being in the NFL but that don't make them NFL players. Grigson is always on the hunt for players who he thinks can contribute to the team and I would think a receiver is on his list. Right now the Colts have their gamble on a receiver with DHB and his pass catching abilities. One at a time.

As for Blackmon himself, he's put decent numbers up on a bad bad team.... but I'm always wary of players who have off the field issues. Yes they can change, and there have been many good examples of this. But every reformation is balanced by a story of self destruction and I just can't see this guy getting it together, the 1 year suspension hanging over his head also lessens his value somewhat in my eyes. 

Personally I believe as it's such a pass biased league and is set to become even more (rule changes!) the idea of a out and out #1 receiver is becoming less applicable. Sure you're Megatrons are still going to be outstanding players, and will rightly draw plaudits, but where has that got the LIons? You can succeed with a "mediocre" core of receivers if your force teams to have to deal with more than one receiving threat. Look at the way TEs have become such a big part of the receiving game for one. 

I think there will be a decent WR to be had in the first next year, and I do think think there is a need to look beyond Reggie in the long term but let's see how the season pans out.