Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After Watching Some Bjoern Werner Tape...

I've really started to get a feel for his type of game because I think its vital for Players (especially rookies) to be comfortable with the job their assigned and are not excepted to do something thats not their game. So what I noticed from Bjoern was very very stout against the run. He is more athletic than people give him credit for. He always seems to get off blocks well and get to the ball caryer and make a play. Now for pass rush I see him having a great burst off the line of scrimmage but sometimes can't get away from the OT's. When the play breaks down he seems to be great at peeling off blocks and getting to the QB. Overall I think Werner can has great success in Blue as long as we use him correctly,

It should be noted that Werner has said that NO TEAM worked him out as thoroughly as the Colts.    It was both Grigson and Pagano.      Werner did NOT fall into our lap.    He was targeted.    We wanted him and we got him.

And the thing that jumps off his tape -- as Grigs and Pags stated -- at the snap, he's almost always the first player moving.   His motor seems stuck on high.

Personally,  I love guys like that!       :thmup:

Yeah about

It should be noted that Werner has said that NO TEAM worked him out as thoroughly as the Colts.    It was both Grigson and Pagano.      Werner did NOT fall into our lap.    He was targeted.    We wanted him and we got him.

And the thing that jumps off his tape -- as Grigs and Pags stated -- at the snap, he's almost always the first player moving.   His motor seems stuck on high.

Personally,  I love guys like that!       :thmup:

Yeah about the pick not falling in our lap, but instead being someone we were actually targeting..If I remeber right our pick was in before the Vikes pick was even announced to the audience @ radio city.  

The kids a stud, tape doesn't lie. Does he have some holes, sure. Like he needs to develop more pass rushing moves. But in my honest opinion the dude comes pre loaded with a sniffer for the ball. He stuffs guys at the point and smells the play, gets off blocks and either makes the tackle or redirects the runner. Not sure how he's going to do dropping in space though. Big question for the Colts. But pass rushing and especially run stopping are pretty much the best in this draft. Consider this stat...Werner had more sacks this year than Dion Jordan, Barkevius Mingo and Ezekiel Ansah..................."COMBINED". And Ansah played in the MW division which if he was as good as the Lions apparently think he is, he should have been near the top of the leader board. Werner played in the ACC and was DPOTY. The kid is the % no doubt. I remember Kiper writing that Werner lacks "fast twitch" or some nonsense like that. Yet he's one of the fastest guys around the edge in all of college football. Yeah it was out of a 4 pt stance which he will probably only be able to rush out of a couple times a game but still, Ansah played with his hands down too but he would get beasted at the line too much so BYU stepped him back which is where he made his money. Ansah is gonna fail hard in Detroit cause they run a 43.

Yeah about

Yeah about the pick not falling in our lap, but instead being someone we were actually targeting..If I remeber right our pick was in before the Vikes pick was even announced to the audience @ radio city.  

We were on the clock for 5-6 minutes .. Werner was not an insta-pick.  The only reason it looked so fast is because the pick announcements were backed up.

I like Werner and agree very good at setting the edge, rushing the passer, and getting a jump on the snap.  I also went back and watched a lot of his games and am I the only one who notices he gives up on a lot of plays unless the action is right in front of him?  There is a good percentage of time he is not playing whistle to whistle.

I like Werner and agree very good at setting the edge, rushing the passer, and getting a jump on the snap.  I also went back and watched a lot of his games and am I the only one who notices he gives up on a lot of plays unless the action is right in front of him?  There is a good percentage of time he is not playing whistle to whistle.

I've read some analysis' saying the exact same thing.

But on the other hand, when it's in front of him, he hunts and hunts. Also has the ability to raise his hands if not making it to the quarterback. Good overview.

The give up when the play is going away, is a mild concern you want guys with no quit......maybe that can be coached out of him....but its really the only knock that I saw in watching the video's on him.......

That "give up" was a major concern to other teams. I am sure the Colts did their homework but I hope this isn't a case of trying to drive a square peg into a round hole.... It seems that they are counting on what he might be not what he is....

That "give up" was a major concern to other teams. I am sure the Colts did their homework but I hope this isn't a case of trying to drive a square peg into a round hole.... It seems that they are counting on what he might be not what he is....

Is that what the other teams told you?

10 years ago, there was a beast of a pass rusher, 6'3, 257 lbs, who left school early and was projected as a top 5 pick...until the postseason workouts hit. He ran in the 4.8's, only put up 19 reps, and had a 33 inch vertical. He slipped out of the top 5 due to concerns about not being able to make the transition to LB and being too small for a hand-down linemen. Despite the concerns, his great first step, technique, and closing burst (combined with going to a team that knew how to use him) led to an All-Pro career.

Fast forward to this year, and we have a 6'3, 266 lb pass rusher who, although he's improved dramatically every year, didn't cement the potential top 5 status he had going into the postseason workouts- he ran in the 4.8's, only had a 31 inch vertical, but did put up 25 reps. Like the first prospect mentioned, however, his first step and closing burst are exceptional, and his technique has improved exponentially from when he recently picked up the sport at a high level. He's also going to a team that should know how to use him. How do I know?

The first guy mentioned is Terrell Suggs, who Pagano coached to DPOY in 2011. 

Now, I'm not saying that Werner will enjoy the same level of success...but there's no way the staff scouts him harder than anyone in the league and still pounds the table for him like they do unless they see real ability there.

10 years ago, there was a beast of a pass rusher, 6'3, 257 lbs, who left school early and was projected as a top 5 pick...until the postseason workouts hit. He ran in the 4.8's, only put up 19 reps, and had a 33 inch vertical. He slipped out of the top 5 due to concerns about not being able to make the transition to LB and being too small for a hand-down linemen. Despite the concerns, his great first step, technique, and closing burst (combined with going to a team that knew how to use him) led to an All-Pro career.

Fast forward to this year, and we have a 6'3, 266 lb pass rusher who, although he's improved dramatically every year, didn't cement the potential top 5 status he had going into the postseason workouts- he ran in the 4.8's, only had a 31 inch vertical, but did put up 25 reps. Like the first prospect mentioned, however, his first step and closing burst are exceptional, and his technique has improved exponentially from when he recently picked up the sport at a high level. He's also going to a team that should know how to use him. How do I know?

The first guy mentioned is Terrell Suggs, who Pagano coached to DPOY in 2011. 

Now, I'm not saying that Werner will enjoy the same level of success...but there's no way the staff scouts him harder than anyone in the league and still pounds the table for him like they do unless they see real ability there.

That's a good analogy.

Coachability...according to spell check its not even a word but we all know what it means, and it sounds like Werner is very coachable. He mentioned it himself and credited his coaches as FSU for his progress.

For a guy to be playing football for only 7 years and to already achieve the level of impact he had versus the run and the pass at FSU tells me that the best is still ahead.

Pagano excels with guys like Werner and once he's a finished product I think we'll have a great 3-down DE.