Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Kerry Collins' Injury Is A Blessing In Disguise

Andy

Why Kerry Collins Injury is a Blessing in Disguise

Last Sunday night against the Steelers, Kerry Collins was forced to leave the game in the 4th quarter due to concussion like symptoms. He was having a mediocre game, but made some good passes, but it was the running game that bailed him out. So now that Collins was out, the last remaining quarterback on the roster was Curtis Painter. Among Colts fans, he is a bit controversial due to some of his bad performances, and his trouble reading defenses. He came in the game with only about 5 minutes of warm-up, and barely any snaps in practice. He came in and looked very rusty, overthrowing a wide-open Pierre Garcon that would have probably gone for a touchdown. That wasn’t a good start, but the kid didn’t give up. He came out the next drive and because of a Dallas Clark drop and a bad throw, they were unable to get a 1st down. This got Colts fans angry. He needed to prove himself, he needed to come back and win. Well the next drive, the Steelers sacked him and he fumbled it and they recovered it for a touchdown. That wasn’t his fault; it was the fault of left tackle Anthony Castonzo. Now the following drive was the drive that really stuck out in my mind, as he made some great passes. He made a bunch of good passes, including a 27-yard bomb and an 18-yard pass to Pierre Garcon. They drove down the field, and then Joe Addai punched it in for a TD.

Curtis Painter showed great poise and skill on that drive. That was something Kerry Collins really failed to show during the game, and had to rely on the running game to bail him out.

It’s been 3 games now, and Kerry Collins has failed to surpass 500 yards passing (in total) and only has 2 touchdown passes, which both came late in the Texans and Browns game when the defenses weren’t trying as hard as they were in the 1st quarter. Those were 2 very easy touchdowns. He has the best players around him, a rejuvenated running game, and now has had a full month of practice. Even though a month of practice isn’t enough, he should be able to do something with this offense, but he has not, and that’s why it’s time for a change.

Curtis Painter played a good game against the Steelers. Although he started out slow, he made some great passes at the end, and he was the reason why we had a good chance at winning. You would NOT have seen Kerry Collins make that 27 yard bomb to Garcon. Curtis Painter had good protection, besides that sack-fumble-touchdown, and was able to make some good throws. He had a chance to extend a drive if Dallas Clark made that short little catch, but he didn’t. Curtis Painter put that aside, and went out and scored a TD. Let’s all keep in mind that Painter didn’t take that many snaps in practice, only 5 minutes of warm-up, and the man that always helps him out and a man that Painter looks up to was on a nice trip to Europe and when he came back, he didn’t show up at practice. Now, if Painter starts next week he would get everything that Kerry got, which is taking most of the reps, warming up for an 1 and a half before the game, and he will have Peyton Manning by his side in practice and at the game. I think he can manage that.

If the Colts can effectively mix up the pass and the run, and not rely too much on Curtis, they can win against future teams. Kerry Collins wouldn’t be practicing too much this week, unless he didn’t have a concussion, and if we start a not ready oldie at QB, it could spell disaster and quick.

The Colts have to announce Curtis Painter as the starter ASAP so that they give him most of the snaps, and let him practice with the guys he would be playing with on the field. Kerry Collins is a thing of the past, and has proven to us that he can’t start. Let Kerry Collins backup Painter, and once Kerry has learnt the system, and is starting to do better than Curtis, let him take over, but that time is definitely not now. LET PAINTER START !!

Why Kerry Collins Injury is a Blessing in Disguise

Last Sunday night against the Steelers, Kerry Collins was forced to leave the game in the 4th quarter due to concussion like symptoms. He was having a mediocre game, but made some good passes, but it was the running game that bailed him out. So now that Collins was out, the last remaining quarterback on the roster was Curtis Painter. Among Colts fans, he is a bit controversial due to some of his bad performances, and his trouble reading defenses. He came in the game with only about 5 minutes of warm-up, and barely any snaps in practice. He came in and looked very rusty, overthrowing a wide-open Pierre Garcon that would have probably gone for a touchdown. That wasn’t a good start, but the kid didn’t give up. He came out the next drive and because of a Dallas Clark drop and a bad throw, they were unable to get a 1st down. This got Colts fans angry. He needed to prove himself, he needed to come back and win. Well the next drive, the Steelers sacked him and he fumbled it and they recovered it for a touchdown. That wasn’t his fault; it was the fault of left tackle Anthony Castonzo. Now the following drive was the drive that really stuck out in my mind, as he made some great passes. He made a bunch of good passes, including a 27-yard bomb and an 18-yard pass to Pierre Garcon. They drove down the field, and then Joe Addai punched it in for a TD.

Curtis Painter showed great poise and skill on that drive. That was something Kerry Collins really failed to show during the game, and had to rely on the running game to bail him out.

It’s been 3 games now, and Kerry Collins has failed to surpass 500 yards passing (in total) and only has 2 touchdown passes, which both came late in the Texans and Browns game when the defenses weren’t trying as hard as they were in the 1st quarter. Those were 2 very easy touchdowns. He has the best players around him, a rejuvenated running game, and now has had a full month of practice. Even though a month of practice isn’t enough, he should be able to do something with this offense, but he has not, and that’s why it’s time for a change.

Curtis Painter played a good game against the Steelers. Although he started out slow, he made some great passes at the end, and he was the reason why we had a good chance at winning. You would NOT have seen Kerry Collins make that 27 yard bomb to Garcon. Curtis Painter had good protection, besides that sack-fumble-touchdown, and was able to make some good throws. He had a chance to extend a drive if Dallas Clark made that short little catch, but he didn’t. Curtis Painter put that aside, and went out and scored a TD. Let’s all keep in mind that Painter didn’t take that many snaps in practice, only 5 minutes of warm-up, and the man that always helps him out and a man that Painter looks up to was on a nice trip to Europe and when he came back, he didn’t show up at practice. Now, if Painter starts next week he would get everything that Kerry got, which is taking most of the reps, warming up for an 1 and a half before the game, and he will have Peyton Manning by his side in practice and at the game. I think he can manage that.

If the Colts can effectively mix up the pass and the run, and not rely too much on Curtis, they can win against future teams. Kerry Collins wouldn’t be practicing too much this week, unless he didn’t have a concussion, and if we start a not ready oldie at QB, it could spell disaster and quick.

The Colts have to announce Curtis Painter as the starter ASAP so that they give him most of the snaps, and let him practice with the guys he would be playing with on the field. Kerry Collins is a thing of the past, and has proven to us that he can’t start. Let Kerry Collins backup Painter, and once Kerry has learnt the system, and is starting to do better than Curtis, let him take over, but that time is definitely not now. LET PAINTER START !!

There was a reason Collins retited. Slow release is what i'm seeing. Can't move either. Painter is the future now.

Would love to see a better blocking tight end. How that happens with Clark needed is a problem? But over all the team seems to be bigger than last year. Wish Bob Sanders was back????? Need a big play guy in the defense secondary.

I never understood why Painter didn't start week 1. He had a good preseason and he developed chemistry with the offense. Collins came in off the street and had to learn the system. I saw him as just insurance, not the starter.

Obviously $$ was a factor for Collins to start as well as experience because they paid him $4 mil to play and not sit on the bench.I felt that acquiring and promoting Collins showed lack of trust in Painter. However, Painter has been in the system since 2009 and knows the offense and personnel better than Collins. Therefore, HE'S got the experience with the Colts system. He just lacks the game time experience but that happens to everybody who backs up Manning.....

Also, did you notice when Painter was in the game there seemed to be confidence within the offense? That's a sign that he should be starting. He put together a great drive down the field for a TD, and Collins couldn't do that. He rallied his team together and then functioned as a group.

Painter came in late in the second half of the game and was able to put together a drive that was efficient and methodical. Something Collins hasn't been able to do in the past two games. He also did it in less time than Collins. By "Time" I mean total time on the field.

I say, give Painter the reps this week and have him start for the rest of the season. I'd rather have the true backup run the offense over a guy that was retired and is trying to play quarterback.

There was a reason Collins retited. Slow release is what i'm seeing. Can't move either. Painter is the future now.

Would love to see a better blocking tight end. How that happens with Clark needed is a problem? But over all the team seems to be bigger than last year. Wish Bob Sanders was back????? Need a big play guy in the defense secondary.

I miss Bob as well. With the improvements we've made to our defensive front, I feel as though Bob would have had an easier go of it this year. He could take on HB's and WR's instead of TE's and linemen.

I hated signing Collins as a starter from the beginning. He should have be signed as Painter's backup especially since Collins was brought in so late and the offense is so complicated to learn in such a short period. I think we could have been 2-1 or at worst 1-2 after 3 games with Painter starting. Painter is much more mobile and knows the offense and personnel much better. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

I miss Bob as well. With the improvements we've made to our defensive front, I feel as though Bob would have had an easier go of it this year. He could take on HB's and WR's instead of TE's and linemen.

Bob was great...but he has the same problem the rest of our DB's have. They are too small. You can still have speed and get a guy with some size. As it stands, on pass plays, we have guys that can jump to the rafters, but so can the WR that they are covering. Consequently, they have to, literally, throw themselves at people to even come close to making a tackle. That leads to injury, after injury....i.e. Sanders, Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden.

Back to the QB issue at hand though....one thing was clear when Painter took the field...the Offense had life!! The WR were not looking around and at their feet, they were looking for, and expecting, the ball! Yes, Curtis fumbled the ball, but he was drilled! Ben got drilled and lost the ball too. That should not dictate whether this kid is capable of running the offense. The games have shown that Kerry needed to stay retired or become a coach. He doesn't have the will or the agility to compete anymore. So, yes, this is a big blessing in disguise. The Colts get to play who they wanted to in the first place and now the public is on board with it because we saw that Painter is not as terrible as Kerry.

Good luck kid, go get them next week!

I can only imagine that Orlovsky is a purely emergency measure, and Collins has lost his starting job. Though its not official, I would think the starting job is Painter's to lose.

I hope that Polian and crew have learned a lesson about their lack of foresight in regard to QB depth.

Good points, Andy. One cannot just have an inexperienced kid like Painter sitting on a shelf gathering rust and expect him to jump right in, cold, and throw us to victory. Actually, to Painter's credit, he almost did just that.