Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I guess I Could Be wrong

I didn't think their would be enough suitors to trade back, and I still want to stay at 24 but it looks like a trade back is more likely now after Ian Rapaport says this:

@RapSheet: #Colts getting a TON of calls about No 24 from teams wanting to move up. Look at history of this pick: Reed, SJax, @DezBryant, Aaron Rodgers

I want to stay at 24 as well if we trade back will loose out on Carradine,Werner, and Datone Jones.

Why would you want to draft some one that will see little/or no playing time and pay them starting money?  If a Warmack, Cooper, or a CB is not there , then trade back into the 2nd and get an extra pick(s).

Why would you want to draft some one that will see little/or no playing time and pay them starting money?  If a Warmack, Cooper, or a CB is not there , then trade back into the 2nd and get an extra(s)

If we draft Carradine he'll beat out Walden in training camp for the starting OLB position. Seahawks payed Flynn starter money but Wilson won the job. Talent will always prevail  during training camp and Carradine is a more talented player then Walden.

Why would you want to draft some one that will see little/or no playing time and pay them starting money?  If a Warmack, Cooper, or a CB is not there , then trade back into the 2nd and get an extra pick(s).

Because they will be replacing aging players sooner rather than later....and given the track record of aging players they would see the field plenty their rookie year. Plus a pass rushers value is higher than that of a guard or CB.

If we draft Carradine he'll beat out Walden in training camp for the starting OLB position. Seahawks payed Flynn starter money but Wilson won the job. Talent will always prevail  during training camp and Carradine is a more talented player then Walden.

Carradine is very unlikely to be used in the SAM spot in our defense....beating out Walden is not really on the table for him.  Might he sub for Walden on passing downs?  Absolutely, but he would be the understudy to Mathis for the weakside OLB role.

Because they will be replacing aging players sooner rather than later....and given the track record of aging players they would see the field plenty their rookie year. Plus a pass rushers value is higher than that of a guard or CB.

I agree    :runforhills:

I sort of agree with coltfanatic but not completely...even if we draft an OLB in the first round I don't expect him to beat out Walden as a starter going into the regular season.  I would still fully expect Walden to be the starting SLB and Mathis the Starting Rush LB.  However, the draft pick would be in the rotation and especially see the field a lot on passing downs.  I think the same would be true if we draft a CB.  No matter what CB we draft I would still expect Toler and Davis to be the starters when the season starts but the draft pick would still get plenty of playing time throughout the year.  IMO, the closest we will be to getting a day 1 starter is at RG.

Plus, "pay them starter money" doesn't really apply anymore when it comes to first round draft picks with the new CBA. 

If we draft Carradine he'll beat out Walden in training camp for the starting OLB position. Seahawks payed Flynn starter money but Wilson won the job. Talent will always prevail during training camp and Carradine is a more talented player then Walden.

Walden isn't getting replaced I wouldn't be surprised if we don't go OLB in the 1st the coaches and FO like him

Walden isn't getting replaced I wouldn't be surprised if we don't go OLB in the 1st the coaches and FO like him

But taking an OLB in the first round wouldn't have anything to do with Walden...it would have to do with adding another pass rusher and bringing in an eventual successor for Mathis, which could happen as early as next year depending on how the new guy develops.  This is all theoretical, but I do think they'll bring in a pass rushing OLB at some point in the draft, hopefully in the 1st or 3rd. 

But taking an OLB in the first round wouldn't have anything to do with Walden...it would have to do with adding another pass rusher and bringing in an eventual successor for Mathis, which could happen as early as next year depending on how the new guy develops. This is all theoretical, but I do think they'll bring in a pass rushing OLB at some point in the draft, hopefully in the 1st or 3rd.

I agree later but we could get one next year as well

If we draft Carradine, he will compete against Mathias and Sidbury as Rush LB.  IMO, Carridine is only a part time or no time player receiving starting money.  Just does not make sense.

If we draft Carradine, he will compete against Mathias and Sidbury as Rush LB.  IMO, Carridine is only a part time or no time player receiving starting money.  Just does not make sense.

He' be starting in 1-2 seasons though. The only position we could draft that would give us an immediate starter is OG.

I understand about replacing older players, but you do it in the later rounds.  1st round is Starter/Impact player, not part time/ no time player receiving starter money.

If we draft Carradine, he will compete against Mathias and Sidbury as Rush LB. IMO, Carridine is only a part time or no time player receiving starting money. Just does not make sense.

David DeCastro's 4 year - $7.813 million contract became official today and the breakdown is as follows: DeCastro received a $4.122 million signing bonus, and also receives a $100,000 workout bonus and a $325,000 roster bonus at the start of the league year in 2015. DeCastro's yearly salaries breakdown with three guaranteed years | 2012: $390,000 | 2013: $754,177 | 2014: $1.1 million | 2015: $1.03 million (non-guaranteed)

That's not starter money from the previous #24 pick with the new rookie wage scale

He' be starting in 1-2 seasons though. The only position we could draft that would give us an immediate starter is OG.

Again, why pay starter money for some one sitting on the bench.  Draft  one in the later rounds, who learns and will be ready to start.  As of other positions, CB is needed.  Toler has Powers' problems of staying on the field and Davis missed games last season, so get some one to replace Vaughn and possibly beat out Butler or Toler and possibly replace Davis if he walks next year.

David DeCastro's 4 year - $7.813 million contract became official today and the breakdown is as follows: DeCastro received a $4.122 million signing bonus, and also receives a $100,000 workout bonus and a $325,000 roster bonus at the start of the league year in 2015. DeCastro's yearly salaries breakdown with three guaranteed years | 2012: $390,000 | 2013: $754,177 | 2014: $1.1 million | 2015: $1.03 million (non-guaranteed)

That's not starter money from the previous #24 pick with the new rookie wage scale

You might not think that is starter money, but for a late 1st rounder that is.  Beside 1st rounders are impact/ starters in first year not setting on the bench watching.

You might not think that is starter money, but for a late 1st rounder that is. Beside 1st rounders are impact/ starters in first year not setting on the bench watching.

Bruce Irvin sat on the bench watching to start then took a starter role when Clemons went down, Peter Konz didn't start at the beginning of the year but started later, Donte Hightower didn't start but started later in the year, Whitney Mercilus didn't start until Brooks Reed got hurt. The list goes on for 1st rounders last year that didn't start week one. Aj Jenkins, David Wilson there is probably a couple more to rattle off( Konz was a 2nd my bad exclude him)

Again, why pay starter money for some one sitting on the bench.  Draft  one in the later rounds, who learns and will be ready to start.  As of other positions, CB is needed.  Toler has Powers' problems of staying on the field and Davis missed games last season, so get some one to replace Vaughn and possibly beat out Butler or Toler and possibly replace Davis if he walks next year.

So what you're saying is draft a backup CB and pay him starter money, but not a backup OLB? Mathis is injury prone as well and pass rush was arguably our biggest problem last season.

Bruce Irvin sat on the bench watching to start then took a starter role when Clemons went down, Peter Konz didn't start at the beginning of the year but started later, Donte Hightower didn't start but started later in the year, Whitney Mercilus didn't start until Brooks Reed got hurt. The list goes on for 1st rounders last year that didn't start week one

Teams drafting depth.  We do not have that luxury yet.  Look at it this way,  which one of the starters/signed players that should start do you want to be cut.  I do not to draft some one just to cut some one who is just as good.  Besides, let's give or new FAs a chance and I was one of those that did not like the way our FA went, but am willing to give them a chance.

Teams drafting depth. We do not have that luxury yet. Look at it this way, which one of the starters/signed players that should start do you want to be cut. I do not to draft some one just to cut some one who is just as good. Besides, let's give or new FAs a chance and I was one of those that did not like the way our FA went, but am willing to give them a chance.

But you are talking about adding a CB for depth though

So what you're saying is draft a backup CB and pay him starter money, but not a backup OLB? Mathis is injury prone as well and pass rush was arguably our biggest problem last season.

I am saying draft a CB that could actually compete for a starting position.  My next question is, was our FA good or bad.  I as not happy how it went, but am willing to see how our new players work out.  Besides, isn't there already on this forum mention of a pass rusher coming out next year?

But you are talking about adding a CB for depth though

No I am talking about adding a CB that can compete for a starting job, not some one who is going to set.  As I have said in many other threads, if Warmack and Cooper is not there trade back.

I am saying draft a CB that could actually compete for a starting position. My next question is, was our FA good or bad. I as not happy how it went, but am willing to see how our new players work out. Besides, isn't there already on this forum mention of a pass rusher coming out next year?

So a CB can compete for a starter spot with Toler, but we can't draft a pass rusher to compete for a starter spot with Walden? Is that what you are saying

I am saying draft a CB that could actually compete for a starting position.  My next question is, was our FA good or bad.  I as not happy how it went, but am willing to see how our new players work out.  Besides, isn't there already on this forum mention of a pass rusher coming out next year?

Either way you'd be putting a guy who was paid starter money on the bench. The difference is our draft pick would only be making like $2 million.

To the bolded, pass rushers make your corners good. Not the other way around unless you have Darrelle Revis or Deion Sanders.

Either way you'd be putting a guy who was paid starter money on the bench. The difference is our draft pick would only be making like $2 million.

To the bolded, pass rushers make your corners good. Not the other way around unless you have Darrelle Revis or Deion Sanders

That is if we do it the way you and others on the forum want.  I would prefer to trade down into the 2nd rd and get our OG, then go from there.