Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Revis Effect

amfootball

http://nflphilosophy.com/the-revis-effect/

I wanted to share this article about the impact a player like Darrell Revis has on the field. This stems from another discussion on the Revis trade thread.

This author does a wonderful job of showing just show Revis effects the opposing offensive which in turns helps his defense better defend the entire field.

From reading this, you can see why the Bucs are paying him what amounts to QB money. I still think the Jets made a mistake not keeping him at age 27. But I am really happy he is out of the AFC East and far away from the Pats. :thmsup:

That was a lot of article to basically just say, "Revis takes away one-third to half of the field by himself" when it comes to the passing game. Which we've all known for a few years now.

The problem as I see it is this. Is Revis worth the money? Yes, from a talent and impact standpoint, it certainly seems that way. But then you consider what the Jets have done with him around. They had a nice run in 2009-2010, and Revis wasn't around for most of that mess last season, but did he push that team over the top? Not really. He was the most important piece of an outstanding defense for most of Rex Ryan's tenure in NY, but it kind of goes to show, you can't win in the NFL the way you used to. Defense is important but it's no longer the end-all, be-all of the league. And if you over-invest in your defense, you'll never build an offense good enough to make you competitive.

Overall I think the Jets did the right thing. They were not going to pay any cornerback the kind of money Revis was asking for. That's not about Revis or his talent, that's about how much you want to value a specific position on the field.

That was a lot of article to basically just say, "Revis takes away one-third to half of the field by himself" when it comes to the passing game. Which we've all known for a few years now.

The problem as I see it is this. Is Revis worth the money? Yes, from a talent and impact standpoint, it certainly seems that way. But then you consider what the Jets have done with him around. They had a nice run in 2009-2010, and Revis wasn't around for most of that mess last season, but did he push that team over the top? Not really. He was the most important piece of an outstanding defense for most of Rex Ryan's tenure in NY, but it kind of goes to show, you can't win in the NFL the way you used to. Defense is important but it's no longer the end-all, be-all of the league. And if you over-invest in your defense, you'll never build an offense good enough to make you competitive.

Overall I think the Jets did the right thing. They were not going to pay any cornerback the kind of money Revis was asking for. That's not about Revis or his talent, that's about how much you want to value a specific position on the field.

The article didn't just say Revis takes away a third of the field, it explained how the other 10 guys were freed up to better stop the run and the over the middle passing game. Anytime you have one player out in space that does not need any help, it helps the entire defense. He is not just taking away one player, he is helping the other 10 guys better cover the rest of the offense.

It definitely takes a team to win and the Jets O has been pitiful not unlike what Aaron Rodgers is dealing with in GB and his horrific D. The thing is when you don't have the franchise Qb, the next best thing is the franchise CB as you have to be able to stop the other team's passing attack. The Jets could have traded away a whole host of guys for picks but to trade the one guy that helps keep the points down, makes no sense.

The article didn't just say Revis takes away a third of the field, it explained how the other 10 guys were freed up to better stop the run and the over the middle passing game. Anytime you have one player out in space that does not need any help, it helps the entire defense. He is not just taking away one player, he is helping the other 10 guys better cover the rest of the offense.

It definitely takes a team to win and the Jets O has been pitiful not unlike what Aaron Rodgers is dealing with in GB and his horrific D. The thing is when you don't have the franchise Qb, the next best thing is the franchise CB as you have to be able to stop the other team's passing attack. The Jets could have traded away a whole host of guys for picks but to trade the one guy that helps keep the points down, makes no sense.

I hear ya, he's a rare talent for sure. I guess I'd look at it in terms of value.

Would Revis be worth three Aqib Talibs? Because that's basically what he's making... $16M vs. $5M...

My answer to that is probably "no." Especially coming off an ACL.

I hear ya, he's a rare talent for sure. I guess I'd look at it in terms of value.

Would Revis be worth three Aqib Talibs? Because that's basically what he's making... $16M vs. $5M...

My answer to that is probably "no." Especially coming off an ACL.

Yeah the $16 mil is pretty hefty. Talib will make a lot more after next year assuming he plays well and stays out of trouble off the field. The Pats totally hit the jackpot on him when they got him from Tampa. Ironically, Tampa traded him and now got Revis. They are going all in I guess but if you are going to spend that type of cash, I think Revis of all guys is worth it.

I dont think Revis can be the player he was said to be...

His reputation grew because of where he played.....to call him the best cornerback of all time and the best defensive player in the NFL is simply innacurate..

The Jets did the right thing and I dont think anyone in Tampa's division will be intimidated throwing at him now..

I dont think Revis can be the player he was said to be...

His reputation grew because of where he played.....to call him the best cornerback of all time and the best defensive player in the NFL is simply innacurate..

The Jets did the right thing and I dont think anyone in Tampa's division will be intimidated throwing at him now..

Best CB of all time is definitely a stretch.  But if he is healthy and plays like he did before the injury, he is definitely one of the best players in the league.  He shut down most of the top WRs in the game when he played them.  QBs don't even look his way a lot of the time