Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Few Things I Took From This Game

Brett Snyder

First off, I have never had so much fun watching our defense. (Ties with watching Bob Sanders) It wasn't even the De's, those linebackers impressed the heck out of me. I'm buying an Angerer/Conner jersey asap. They were fired up, and along with the linebackers that Terrence Johnson impressed me too.

I didn't need Chris Collinsworth to point out Nevis to me, cause that guy was stood out early and often.

Collins seemed to have regressed honestly, and Painter seemed like a guy who knew this offense, and once the gitters were settled, we went down the field like we should have all game.

Even though its a loss, I had a very good time watching our Colts. We were very physical, and it really gives us hope. Can't wait for next weekened

when you finalize your statement with, "even though it's a loss", sums everything up, it's a LOSS!! it's a devastating LOSS to which we'll probably not recover from. I was there. and cheering us on, but WAY too many pitt fans were there. we did over power them during critical stages, just still can't believe we lost this game. we needed it to salvage the season. just still in shock that the season is on the brink,,, and I mean on the brink.. if it wasnt already. GO COLTS beat TB next week to at least make us feel better. what a stinker of a Monday Night Football Game..... Chuckie is going to choad.

when you finalize your statement with, "even though it's a loss", sums everything up, it's a LOSS!! it's a devastating LOSS to which we'll probably not recover from. I was there. and cheering us on, but WAY too many pitt fans were there. we did over power them during critical stages, just still can't believe we lost this game. we needed it to salvage the season. just still in shock that the season is on the brink,,, and I mean on the brink.. if it wasnt already. GO COLTS beat TB next week to at least make us feel better. what a stinker of a Monday Night Football Game..... Chuckie is going to choad.

This was a fun game to watch, I think we see the light at the end of the tunnel with painter at the helm and I am serious. Painter showed me tonight, he is not scared to get passed the goal line. It was very nice.

Our Defense killed it and it was very exciting to watch these guys do work. I hope this all carries over next week and Painter gets the start.

I thought we had a very very small chance to win this game, and honestly I didnt see the score being as close as it was...but none the less it was great to see this kind of performance from our team with out our franchise player!

it was a very fun game to watch. I've already accepted how the Colts most likely will have a rough season. To me I just want to see them continue to improve so that next year, "assuming Manning comes back healthy," the could have a legitmate shot at winning it all. I want to see good solid games, and the young players all get ample playing time.

Our defense played a whale of a game. They played for keeps and if the offense had given them anything or atleast not turn the ball over they would have won it for us. For all the people calling for the D to step up they did.

With that said they still have issues namely they still struggle to get off the field on third down. Teams have found the hole in the cover two in the middle of the field between the middle linebacker and the safety and attack it none stop. In fairness some of this is due to Gary being out. I love what Angerer brings us in stopping the run but we are really missing Gary's pass defense.

I think this is the second game this year we have won the turnover battle and lost. Which means we have major issues on offense which we do. Frankly we have had one real TD drive this season. With that said, we are a QB away from our offense being deadly. Once we get Peyton back (rather it be this year or next) you are going to see our offense be very good again. The o-line had their best game of the season. Saturday played like an all pro after struggling for two games. Pollack had a very good game at right guard and makes me wonder what I am missing about this kid, I think he normally plays well but clearly I am wrong because the Colts keep yanking him out of hte lineup and most fans hate him. Link showed you why he starts tonight. I was glad to see Collinsworth point out him on run blocking. It's what he does well. Yes he really struggles in the passing game (although he did fairly well tonight) but he does help the ground game out a lot. I can't say enough about how much I love Castonzo and Reitz. I really think we have found our left tackle and left guard for the next 10 years. They keep getting better every week.

Special teams wasn't as bad as they have been (largely because Pat kept punting the ball out of bounds and putting the ball threw the endzone on kickoffs) but still managed to give up a long return and for the life of me I can't figure out why our coaches don't tell our kickoff guys to take a knee when it is 5 or more yards deep in the endzone they aren't Hester and our blocking is even worse and I am tired of seeing us start at the 15.

Caldwell impressed at safety tonight. He had some mistakes but still did well for undrafted free agent rookie. Bethea is a monster in the secondary. Powers needs to learn to catch. Lacey and Johnson both had solid games as well outside of third down. Freeney and Mathis are the best pass rushing tandom in football they almost beat the Steelers tonight by themselves. Nevis is going our best DT we have seen in years. Frankling playing him and Johnson togeather does what a good DT tandom is supposed to do take up space and make it hard to run the ball. Our linebackers tackling was extremely solid tonight as well. The Colts were doing a great job on play calling on defense and had the Steelers offense on their heals most of the night again outside of third down.

The Colts have what they need in a ground game, enough to keep the other team honest and respect it. Frankly once Manning is back this team is going to be as good as they have been in a long time if they play like the did tonight. That's the one spot we are missing right now the QB and while Painter showed some promise tonight on one drive he struggled just as much as Collins on the other and it's just not going to cut it at the QB spot but I am not sure if there is a better option out there right now.

So if I were the Colts I would try to bottle what you did tonight and bring it the rest of the season except for the third down plays and QB play those are the areas that need improvement and I don't think that is going to shock anyone.

Hidden

Once it was determined that Peyton would not be able to play this season, why did the organization not immediately sign a healthy veteran like Jim Sorgi whom remains on the Free Agent Wire? He is the only backup in the past fifteen or so years whom has actually played and had success when called upon by our team. We of course placed him on IR in 2009 and he was waived IR from the Giants. However, he is healthly now and acutally knows our system.

Great game by the defense.Haven't seen them so inspired to out play a team like that in a long time.Very proud!Officials missed a few calls that woulda helped us ,particulary A hold on Mathis on the last drive,ridiculous.I also don't think Painter is the answer but he gives us a better shot to score points than Collin does,with a few games in ,his nerves might just go away & confidence might come in for once in his life.Because of the tough schedule this year I know we'll get a high draft choice next year but if they play like they did against Pittsburg every game ,they won't go 0-16 like I thought they would after last week.

The game was fun to watch because part of us somewhere deep inside was expecting to get blown out.

What I took out of it is, our D can play if they put forth the effort!

I also see that Addai can run if he gets some run blocking!

I further seen that if Painter had been starting all season we would probably be 2-1 right now and he would be starting to get a whole lot more comfortable!

First off, I have never had so much fun watching our defense. (Ties with watching Bob Sanders) It wasn't even the De's, those linebackers impressed the heck out of me. I'm buying an Angerer/Conner jersey asap. They were fired up, and along with the linebackers that Terrence Johnson impressed me too.

I didn't need Chris Collinsworth to point out Nevis to me, cause that guy was stood out early and often.

Collins seemed to have regressed honestly, and Painter seemed like a guy who knew this offense, and once the gitters were settled, we went down the field like we should have all game.

Even though its a loss, I had a very good time watching our Colts. We were very physical, and it really gives us hope. Can't wait for next weekened

Can you clarify the Nevis comment? Was he good or bad?

The game was fun to watch because part of us somewhere deep inside was expecting to get blown out.

What I took out of it is, our D can play if they put forth the effort!

I also see that Addai can run if he gets some run blocking!

I further seen that if Painter had been starting all season we would probably be 2-1 right now and he would be starting to get a whole lot more comfortable!

I agree with everything you said except the last statement. I'm not saying that Painter wouldn't have been a better choice than Collins, but he's yet to show it. Even in his best preseason game he looked no better than average.

I hope he gets all the snaps in practice this week and proves me wrong Monday night.

Way to go "D"- it's about dang time the Coaches turned you guys loose. A few more overload blitz packages that "Big Bum" can't handle(see how rattled he got with just the "Front 4 Boys" pressuring him), and the Special Teams not letting the Team down at the end, AGAIN, and this would have been a big win. Even the Secondary was hitting AND tackling alot more consistently, although they still missed too many early on in the game. This is how THIS TEAM CAN PLAY "D" if allowed by the Coaches. THIS DEFENSE HAS ALWAYS HAD THE TALENT- THIS "D" ALWAYS PUTS FORTH THE EFFORT- THE COACHES HAVE KEPT THESE GUYS FROM THEIR POTENTIAL BY STICKING WITH THE SOFT TAMPA 2 ZONE DEFENSE. The Coaches can't let one guy- Mike Wallace- beat you because you don't jam him or cover man to man, and the Coaches only rush 4, which gives even a mediocre QB like "Big Bum", enough time to find him. If this "D" is allowed to keep playing like this, and we can fix Special Teams, and just get journeyman efforts from Collins or Painter then Peyton can rest easy this season and not worry about coming back this year, and this team can still win ball games. Nevis and the rest of the new guys on "D" did a heckuva job and can be proud- and we can be excited about going forward, with or without Peyton.