Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"The Donald Brown Project"

jshipp23

I'd use a 1st on a QB, OL, WR, or CB (Which is debatable cause you could get a good CB late). Every other position I'd use the other picks on.

I would use a 1st rder on about any position other than RB, Punter, Kicker, Long snapper, and perhaps a Center. I may pick a Center very late in the 1st rd. if he had excellent skills. some don't think it's wise to choose a guard early and most of the time I would agree, but when some are as skilled as Warmack and Cooper, exceptions can be made. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would use a 1st rder on about any position other than RB, Punter, Kicker, Long snapper, and perhaps a Center. I may pick a Center very late in the 1st rd. if he had excellent skills. some don't think it's wise to choose a guard early and most of the time I would agree, but when some are as skilled as Warmack and Cooper, exceptions can be made.

Wasn't DeCastro (Stanford) a C? Or was he a G? Him & Pouncy went 1st round didn't they?

Ray Graham (Pitt)

Graham is an impressive back, but I don't think he's much faster than Ballard. I think he ran about a 4.7 to 4.8 at the Combine. To each his own, but I'm looking for someone with a bit more foot speed.

Graham is an impressive back, but I don't think he's much faster than Ballard. I think he ran about a 4.7 to 4.8 at the Combine. To each his own, but I'm looking for someone with a bit more foot speed.

How fast is Stephon Taylor?

Or if you just really want speed, we could grab DJ Monroe (Texas)

Taylor ran a 4.76 at the combine.  Here is all of the times for ya if you want to keep it...I posted after the combine, but nobody saw it but a couple things were moving so fast.  

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1530761-2013-nfl-scouting-combine-results-tracking-every-40-yard-dash-time/page/5

Taylor ran a 4.76 at the combine. Here is all of the times for ya if you want to keep it...I posted after the combine, but nobody saw it but a couple things were moving so fast.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1530761-2013-nfl-scouting-combine-results-tracking-every-40-yard-dash-time/page/5

Thanks Brent.

Didn't know my TCU guy Matthew Tucker ran that fast. I'm pulling for a horned frog or Longhorn to be drafted by us this year

Hopefully it's

Matthew Tucker

Josh Boyce

Dj Monroe

Marquise Goodwin

Stephan Taylor is about as fast as Ballard, and Graham. I've named two that I thought would work, feel free to add anyone else you like.

He's actually a lot better when he has a competent back next to him and he doesn't have to carry the load. He's a decent change of pace back. See the green bay game for reference. Big time runs. Injuries are a concern. Why cut him when he can help the team? Just let his contract expire.

He's actually a lot better when he has a competent back next to him and he doesn't have to carry the load. He's a decent change of pace back. See the green bay game for reference. Big time runs. Injuries are a concern. Why cut him when he can help the team? Just let his contract expire.

That's what I'm saying. It's his last year so if he doesn't pan out now, just let him go without us taking a cap penalty. Do what we did to Collie & Freeney. Just inform him he won't be resigned

But I personally blame the oline for our RB injury problem. They gotta learn to block man

I don't recall who it was, but someone last season was breaking down each game, play by play, for DB and Vick. He (or she) went through the trouble of analyzing how often they were hit behind the line, how many yards were gained after contact, etc.

The results of the analysis seemed to consistently point to DB being unfairly criticized. Before he got injured, his numbers were consistently markedly better than Vick's.

Now... that said, Vick improved DRASTICALLY after DB was IR'd. I prefer Vick as the starter, but if DB can stay healthy (BIG IF), he is a very solid number 2 for the Colts, IMO.

That would've been me. The numbers show that when the offensive line was doing its job and keeping defenders out of the backfield, Donald's numbers were pretty comparable to Adrian Peterson and Arian Foster.

Which goes to show, if you want a good running game, you invest in offensive linemen, not running backs.

I think DB highlights one of the perils of being drafted on the 1st round, it can create expectation amongst the fans that is hard to live up to, whether its his fault or not aside. Hughes is another prime example of this.

This year is a no lose gamble for us, if he stays healthy and the o line improves as expected I think he will surprise a few, especially with being a contract year :P

If he don't perform again the he's allowed to walk. Simples.

I think we can use Donald Brown this season. But I say another quality back should be brought in to raise the level of talent and competition. Somebody like Christine Michael, Knile Davis or someone else. Whoever it is, I expect them to have some speed.

I wouldn't be against another RB as personally don't rate Carter, I just don't think we need to take one in the 1st :P

Thanks Brent.

Didn't know my TCU guy Matthew Tucker ran that fast. I'm pulling for a horned frog or Longhorn to be drafted by us this year

Hopefully it's

Matthew Tucker

Josh Boyce

Dj Monroe

Marquise Goodwin

I thought you might like that to look back on.  I look at it quite a bit.  

I am not in line for a running back since we are so short on picks and I expect Colts fans to love the fullback we traded for.  If we add picks through trade, I am on board for depth.  Brown is going to play like there is no tomorrow....Carter HAS to show something in camp.....or 'he gone.'  The 'ghosts of Polian past' seem to be drifting........a....w...a.......y..........:)

After 4 years of failure it's time to cut bait, short of cutting him and eationg his 2 million dollar salary I would trade him for a 7th round pick if we can even find any takers...His 1 attribute is speed...He has zero vision, no awareness, no power, is injury prone and made of glass, and is below average at best as a receiver as he always is too worried about getting hit and turns head to check for defenders and drops many balls that could have been big plays..3 out of his 4 years his avg per carry was under 4 yards..3 out of 4 years he has run for less than 500 yards...The most receptions he has had in a season is 20..The most TD's he has had in a season is 5, and last year he had 9 catches and 1 TD and for all his speed his longest run was 19 yards...Their are 20 backs in rounds 1 thru 7 that could come in day 1 and be more productive..I would even rather have Denard Robinson in rounds 6 or 7 and convert him to RB and he would provide more production and big plays than Brown...Thoughts and Opinions???

Several thoughts

1.I dont necessarily disagree we could find better in the late rounds of the draft, But he is by far the best running back we have at taking care of the ball

2.I dont necessarily disagree about his vision or lack of it but his main issue to me is lack of body lean (lowering his pads) and the ability or instincts to cut (he is much more of a "darter" when it comes to his running style)

3.He is the best pass blocking running back we have on the roster as of right now until proven otherwise 

4.I agree he does get taken down far to easy 

5.He is still the best homerun threat we have at running back, His inability to run between the Tackles is very much overstated, he is very capable of getting the tough yards

6.I agree about his injury concerns

In short he should be kept to see what he can do behind a real O Line at least through his contract year, I'd hate to see him get traded (for next to nothing) or released and some team with a good or even great O Line picks him up and he runs for 1500 yards because he has competent blocking

Ray Graham (Pitt)

Here's exactly what I mean, and it's the same thing with Ballard. I want to add a back on this team that when they get a run like this they won't be chased down from behind like Grahamin this video vs Notre Dame. I'm not necessarily 100 percent against adding Graham, but I think you would have to get rid of a guy like Delone Carter and add someone with some foot speed. I honestly think Graham would be able to do pretty much everything Carter can do. Grahamreminds me a little bit of Frank Gore. And for all you Manti Teo fans, here's another example of him being sealed up and handled by offensive lineman.

My only concerns about DB are:

Can he stay healthy?

and

Will the Colts have a decent OLine?

During his tenure as a Colt, when the answer to both has been yes, he has looked every bit the first round quality back people expect.

When either/both answers have been no, the casual fan has every right to gripe that he's looked very average.

That would've been me. The numbers show that when the offensive line was doing its job and keeping defenders out of the backfield, Donald's numbers were pretty comparable to Adrian Peterson and Arian Foster.

Which goes to show, if you want a good running game, you invest in offensive linemen, not running backs.

Thanks. It was good stuff. Any chance you might be able to provide some kind of summary?

Here's exactly what I mean, and it's the same thing with Ballard. I want to add a back on this team that when they get a run like this they won't be chased down from behind like Grahamin this video vs Notre Dame. I'm not necessarily against adding Graham, but I think you would have to get rid of a guy like Delone Carter and add someone with some foot speed because Ithink Graham would be able to do pretty much everything Carter can do. And for all you MantiTeo fans, here's another example of him being sealed up and handled by offensive lineman.

http://youtu.bejTJveuk

Come on Krunk, that's a bad example! Lol. The guy that clipped him & made him stumble that's who helped the S or CB catch him. But I get your point. But a play like that may not score, but it's definitely a huge momentum boost to the offense that could lead us to score

My only concerns about DB are:

Can he stay healthy?

and

Will the Colts have a decent OLine?

During his tenure as a Colt, when the answer to both has been yes, he has looked every bit the first round quality back people expect.

When either/both answers have been no, the casual fan has every right to gripe that he's looked very average.

Add: was he the feature back? Answer is no, he looks good.

Brown didn't really get a shot much like Jerry Hughes. Brown came in to sit behind Addai. Polian obviously didn't understand the concept of whoever you draft in the 1st round is supposed to start

Even when Addai was here, I preferred Brown. Brown had a good game in our SB run when we played ARI when they had Kurt Warner

Add: was he the feature back? Answer is no, he looks good.

I agree that is where he is now, simply because I think Ballard has shown himself to be better, and absolutely more durable. However, I think when DB's managed to stay on the field and has had better than average blocking, he's shown feature back capability.

While he has absolutely earned all the criticism about being fragile, I wonder if an improved line would also lead to a more durable DB. Getting blown up before you can even make a first move has to be bad for one's health.

I agree that is where he is now, simply because I think Ballard has shown himself to be better, and absolutely more durable. However, I think when DB's managed to stay on the field and has had better than average blocking, he's shown feature back capability.

While he has absolutely earned all the criticism about being fragile, I wonder if an improved line would also lead to a more durable DB. Getting blown up before you can even make a first move has to be bad for one's health.

Exactly! That's why he's fragile. Even Luck was om the injury list. Our line let everyone in the backfield get smacked around. It's just Ballard was the hardest to bring down out of all of them. But Luck is a close 2nd lol

Come on Krunk, that's a bad example! Lol. The guy that clipped him & made him stumble that's who helped the S or CB catch him. But I get your point. But a play like that may not score, but it's definitely a huge momentum boost to the offense that could lead us to score

Yeah if you want me to be honest that was a nice run, but there are others by Graham where Ican prove the point a bit better. Graham would look good with Ballard, and Brown I must admit even though he's not as fast as I'd like him to be.

Yeah if you want me to be honest that was a nice run, but there are others by Graham where I can prove the point a bit better.

Like I said, I see what you're saying. But big runs period are confidence & momentum boosters. But we could use a speed back. Like a Sproles or Lamicheal James

Good point. It would be interesting to see numbers comparing all RB in last 5 years with a career yards per carry average below 3.0 yards and seeing how many had injury issues.

I bet results would be shocking.

Would open many people's eyes to how important a run blocking oline is.

Like I said, I see what you're saying. But big runs period are confidence & momentum boosters. But we could use a speed back. Like a Sproles or Lamicheal James

Or maybe even someone like Antonio Mcaleb(needs to gain a little weight, but lightning fast), or like you said D.J. Monroe.

TK-You would love this guy

Another promising running back is Giovani Bernard, who rushed for 2,481 yards and 25 TDs in two seasons at North Carolina. According to PFW, the 5-8, 202-pounder is similar to NFL running backs Maurice Jones-Drew and Ray Rice in terms of his compact build, vision and instincts, but he does not run with the same power.

We could use a little guy who gets lost between the tackles. Seemed to always work against us. MJD, Rice, woodhead.

TK-You would love this guy

Another promising running back is Giovani Bernard, who rushed for 2,481 yards and 25 TDs in two seasons at North Carolina. According to PFW, the 5-8, 202-pounder is similar to NFL running backs Maurice Jones-Drew and Ray Rice in terms of his compact build, vision and instincts, but he does not run with the same power.

We could use a little guy who gets lost between the tackles. Seemed to always work against us. MJD, Rice, woodhead.

I know who he is. The only reason I didn't put him on my list is because I think he'll be gone like Monte Ball when & if we do take a RB