Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This offense is different...........and draft babble....

deano

I keep hearing about the power running game that we are going to have and that would seem to fit with our new OC's history at Stanford. They were excellent at running the ball

I also keep hearing that this is the west coast offense as well.

I am sure other people have seen the west coast offense executed by other teams. (49ers with Montana for example). In those days the west coast offense was many short passes, and the RB was a pass catcher almost as much as a runner. (that offense made Roger Craig)

So.... Short story , long........ After watching some Stanford games, at best, this is a hybrid west coast offense, at least how they ran it, because they had a bigger back and they ran first.

That offense also featured some excellent OL.

It's a true wildcard what we are going to do in the draft.

The passions are high in the discussions about who we will take.

I think everyone would agree that we still could use an upgrade at right guard

I just don't see us going into the season with what we have.

The Pep hybrid west coast offense won't work with that position being ran over.

If I am Grigson, I am wondering if I can get this person with the 3rd round pick.

If he is confident his new starter RG is going to be there, in the 3rd, he could assist this team

with a future star with the pick in round one.

The RG pick, I believe is the pivotal piece of this draft for the Colts. The Pep offense requires it.

I believe Grigson has a list of "Must haves" and "preferreds" that he is working from

Must haves are a list of things you absolutely must get in the draft

Preferreds are a list of things you would like but can live without

In this draft, IMHO, the Must haves are:

RG, situational pass rusher, pass catching RB ...... In that order

His "preferred" list IMHO, would be:

WR, DE, CB........ In that order

Looking at our roster we absolutely need to come away with the the 3 must haves.

There are multiple scenarios that can happen obviously as that priority RG may actually slip to us

(Stranger things have happened)

I am sure Grigs is developing multiple plans, based on the way the picks lay out in front of us.

My wish list, if the 2 stud guards arent available is to get more picks by trading early enough into the 2nd round to pick up Warford.

He would seem to be a great fit for this team.

OR

If Grigs feels he has his RG starter pegged in round 3, we could see literally anyone from the preferred list

It will be interesting

Thoughts?

Looking at the anger and * for tat here, I am sure I have deeply offended someone....... (Remember its just a game).....

Nice wite-up, I would add however that Stanford's offense will not be the Colt's offense this coming year. Definitely some of the same stuff but it will be much more expansive and versatile.

It's hard to gauge how highly Grigson and Pagano rate our RB core, and I am not going to say an RB should never be taken in the first, because an elite RB definitely has first round value, especially in the late first, but I do not see such a player in this year's draft so I cannot see us spending a first on a player that will not really improve the team.

Warmack would be a dream but him and Cooper are just not going to drop realistically. I like Kyle Long, think he could be a big upgrade at Guard.

I keep hearing about the power running game that we are going to have and that would seem to fit with our new OC's history at Stanford. They were excellent at running the ball

I also keep hearing that this is the west coast offense as well.

I am sure other people have seen the west coast offense executed by other teams. (49ers with Montana for example). In those days the west coast offense was many short passes, and the RB was a pass catcher almost as much as a runner. (that offense made Roger Craig)

So.... Short story , long........ After watching some Stanford games, at best, this is a hybrid west coast offense, at least how they ran it, because they had a bigger back and they ran first.

That offense also featured some excellent OL.

It's a true wildcard what we are going to do in the draft.

The passions are high in the discussions about who we will take.

I think everyone would agree that we still could use an upgrade at right guard

I just don't see us going into the season with what we have.

The Pep hybrid west coast offense won't work with that position being ran over.

If I am Grigson, I am wondering if I can get this person with the 3rd round pick.

If he is confident his new starter RG is going to be there, in the 3rd, he could assist this team

with a future star with the pick in round one.

The RG pick, I believe is the pivotal piece of this draft for the Colts. The Pep offense requires it.

I believe Grigson has a list of "Must haves" and "preferreds" that he is working from

Must haves are a list of things you absolutely must get in the draft

Preferreds are a list of things you would like but can live without

In this draft, IMHO, the Must haves are:

RG, situational pass rusher, pass catching RB ...... In that order

His "preferred" list IMHO, would be:

WR, DE, CB........ In that order

Looking at our roster we absolutely need to come away with the the 3 must haves.

There are multiple scenarios that can happen obviously as that priority RG may actually slip to us

(Stranger things have happened)

I am sure Grigs is developing multiple plans, based on the way the picks lay out in front of us.

My wish list, if the 2 stud guards arent available is to get more picks by trading early enough into the 2nd round to pick up Warford.

He would seem to be a great fit for this team.

OR

If Grigs feels he has his RG starter pegged in round 3, we could see literally anyone from the preferred list

It will be interesting

Thoughts?

Looking at the anger and * for tat here, I am sure I have deeply offended someone....... (Remember its just a game).....

Get our starting guard in the third round....I really like that as a plan....if Warmack and Cooper are gone at 24, then a future stud WR or pass rusher would be prime targets for our first round pick...

Not saying I want this...but RB isn't out of the question either....just have to trust Grigson

The more we pump interest in Bell I say the more likely it is a diversion. :)

With a great QB who is going to spread the ball around, we should never have to draft a WR or TE in rd one. Lines and CB the Top priority.

Reminding folks we have several PRush OLB`s candidates already on our roster. If you draft a PR guy high he is still going to be a project.

NOT having Dead Weight Mookie & Moala starting, our D-line will get more pressure, and by being considerably better against the run we will have the benefit of more 2nd, 3rd and longs. We Will have much better Team/Scheme Pressure. IMO
 And with no ATM Vaughn starting, we will be that much closer to coverage sacks.

JMO, I think they give Ijalana, Reitz, one more season to see what they have, so more likely to draft a G project in 6-7.

Tho for me Fluker as a RG has great appeal, just don`t expect him to be avail.

With a great QB who is going to spread the ball around, we should never have to draft a WR or TE in rd one. Lines and CB the Top priority.

Reminding folks we have several PRush OLB`s candidates already on our roster. If you draft a PR guy high he is still going to be a project.

NOT having Dead Weight Mookie & Moala starting, our D-line will get more pressure, and by being considerably better against the run we will have the benefit of more 2nd, 3rd and longs. We Will have much better Team/Scheme Pressure. IMO

And with no ATM Vaughn starting, we will be that much closer to coverage sacks.

JMO, I think they give Ijalana, Reitz, one more season to see what they have, so more likely to draft a G project in 6-7.

Tho for me Fluker as a RG has great appeal, just don`t expect him to be avail.

If you believe the mock drafts, Fluker might be at our spot.

The question is, since we have RT, and Fluker would be put to Guard, would Fluker be better than Warford?

I believe not, the question is...... Are there guards available that can start and be an improvement

On this line

If you believe the mock drafts, Fluker might be at our spot.

The question is, since we have RT, and Fluker would be put to Guard, would Fluker be better than Warford?

I believe not, the question is...... Are there guards available that can start and be an improvement

On this line

I agree. For the life of me, I do not know why Fluker over Warford at guard is even a topic of discussion. Warford has been one of the better guards in college for the last couple of yrs. and yet some would prefer we pick a RT in the 1st rd. and move him out of position. Makes absolutely zero sense to me. Whether Fluker would be good at guard is not the point, the point is, you take the guy that has a higher draft grade and play him in his natural position.

I watched Fluker at combine and he moved more like a guard, his side speed facing an outside speed rusher was slow, I mean his feet side to side wasn't that quick but his size and those huge thighs and strength and could resist a big NT would make him a great RG in my opinion, saw him again in a small clip I think from a pro day he looked a little quicker, but not very much quicker and he might have been a great college level RT but the pass rusher are the fastest of the fast and I don't think he will be good enough, but an inside G he would be great....

I had my eye all the time on Fluker and not so much on Warford and CBS prospects have Warford at #47 and that's 27 positions on the prospects page way further behind Fluker and Fluker before the combine was #24 and now he's at #20 on the prospects page, so I'm higher on Fluker as the RG the Colts need and I bet he can play right away at a high level....

If Fluker is not there at #24 and if Grigson thinks highly of Warford then I'm all for it!!!!!

Go Colts!!!!!

In Gigson I Trust!!!!!

I watched Fluker at combine and he moved more like a guard, his side speed facing an outside speed rusher was slow, I mean his feet side wasn't that quick but his size and those huge thighs and strength and could resist a big NT would make him a great RG in my opinion, saw him again in a small clip I think from a pro day he looked a little quicker, but not very much quicker and he might have been a great college level RT but the pass rusher are the fastest of the fast and I don't think he will be good enough, but an inside G he would be great....

I had my eye all the time on Fluker and not so much on Warford and scouts and CBS prospects have him further behind Fluker so I'm higher on Fluker as the RG the Colts need and I bet he can play right away at a high level....

If Fluker is not there at #24 and if Grigson thinks highly of Warford then I'm all for it!!!!!

Go Colts!!!!!

In Gigson I Trust!!!!!

Again, I'm not debating whether Fluker can play guard or not. With a 1st rd. pick, you pick the guy who's natural position is RG if you want a RG. The reason why Fluker is rated higher on some sights is because he's considered the top RT in the draft. NFL.com has Warford graded higher than Fluker. 

Yea that's right Balzer, just saying I think he can play RG and all in all I trust Grison on his picks, I would be real happy with an o-lineman with the #24 pick and even a CB, those 2 positions are my top needs in my opinion, but you know the quote on opinions :}LOL

I just wanted to explain what I saw of Fluker in the combine is all, not a professional scout so take my comments with a grain of salt :}LOL

If Grigson wants to trade out of the #24 if his guys are not there and get a low 2nd round to get Warford if he likes him I'm cool with that too and maybe get another 3rd round and or 4th round with that trade out of the #24, going to be a fun night in 14 more day, WOO HOO can't wait!!!!!

Go Colts!!!!!

Go Grigson!!!!!

If Grigson wants to trade out of the #24 if his guys are not there and get a low 2nd round to get Warford if he likes him I'm cool with that too and maybe get another 3rd round and or 4th round with that trade out of the #24, going to be a fun night in 14 more day, WOO HOO can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

I am starting to think the trade out from round one for more picks later makes more and more sense......

ooooooooo the cornerbackites ain't gonna have any of that. You'll smoke a turd in heck for that one!

I may be in the minority here, but believe we are good to go with our current CB rotation.

A late, small college project is fine, but believe we have MUCH more pressing needs

Again, I'm not debating whether Fluker can play guard or not. With a 1st rd. pick, you pick the guy who's natural position is RG if you want a RG. The reason why Fluker is rated higher on some sights is because he's considered the top RT in the draft. NFL.com has Warford graded higher than Fluker. 

Fluker IS a natural NFL guard. Most everyone sees him as being 1st rd talent.

Any chance Warford goes in the 1st?

CBS rates Fluker the 21st best prospect. Warford 48. That seems about right.

I must admit I would take Fluker as a Guard over Warford as well. He is an animal who suits are o-line scheme like a glove. I am thinking more of up-side than production and I acknowledge it is a risk but it is a risk I would be willing to take considering it is an almost guaranteed upgrade on what we have and the fact that he is just so so so dominant in the run game.

Warford would be steady, I would not mind him at all, but I have a soft spot for Fluker.

Fluker IS a natural NFL guard. Most everyone sees him as being 1st rd talent.

Any chance Warford goes in the 1st?

CBS rates Fluker the 21st best prospect. Warford 48. That seems about right.

I'm not saying that Fluker isn't a 1st rd. talent, in fact, before we signed Cherilus, I was all for bringing him in. IMO he's rated higher on some sites because he is the top rated RT in the draft. The RT is supposed to be bigger and stronger than the LT. The LT is the athletic one because he's the one that will be dealing with the best pass rushers.

IMO Fluker will be a RT for whoever drafts him and if he proves not to be able to handle it, then he may get moved to guard. I don't know why it's so hard for some to believe that Warford is higher graded on NFL.com than Fluker, he's also higher graded than Cooper, but I can see the argument against that.

My whole point to this is...if we are looking for a RG and the choice is between Warford and Fluker...IMO we take Warford without question. Whether we pick either one is the question where as Grigson may take a guy that hasn't even been talked about much or would at least be a bit of a surprise for most.

The CBS ratings that you mentioned are highly questionable IMO. I don't know who does those ratings for CBS or if they just pull the information from other sites, but some of the players they have rated higher than others or where they should be drafted, are very questionable to me.

I must admit I would take Fluker as a Guard over Warford as well. He is an animal who suits are o-line scheme like a glove. I am thinking more of up-side than production and I acknowledge it is a risk but it is a risk I would be willing to take considering it is an almost guaranteed upgrade on what we have and the fact that he is just so so so dominant in the run game.

Warford would be steady, I would not mind him at all, but I have a soft spot for Fluker.

Why wouldn't Warford fit our scheme like a glove? He's a big mauler just like Fluker, but RG is also his natural position and has been one of the best guards the last couple of yrs.. Were all entitled to our opinions but I have to admit, it just doesn't make sense to me why anybody would pick a guy thats played RT over a guy that has every bit as much talent and IMO has better footwork to play his natural position.

I agree. For the life of me, I do not know why Fluker over Warford at guard is even a topic of discussion. Warford has been one of the better guards in college for the last couple of yrs. and yet some would prefer we pick a RT in the 1st rd. and move him out of position. Makes absolutely zero sense to me. Whether Fluker would be good at guard is not the point, the point is, you take the guy that has a higher draft grade and play him in his natural position.

The most athletic olinemen are tackles, if a player has always been a guard then he wasn't athletic enough to move to tackle. If a player is a tackle but is slow for a tackle he is still more athletic than the guard. Plus tackles have more responsibility on the oline than guards do, if a former tackle moves to guard it should be an easier transition.

Why wouldn't Warford fit our scheme like a glove? He's a big mauler just like Fluker, but RG is also his natural position and has been one of the best guards the last couple of yrs.. Were all entitled to our opinions but I have to admit, it just doesn't make sense to me why anybody would pick a guy thats played RT over a guy that has every bit as much talent and IMO has better footwork to play his natural position.

I certainly understand your logic but I do not think they are in the same class in terms of talent. Fluker dominated everyone he faced in the run game, I think he comes inside and does the same thing, I really do. Warford would definitely be a good fit, but doesn't drive d-linemen the way Fluker does. I just believe Fluker could be the missing piece to the puzzle that really makes this the O-Line we need to run a power-running game.

I could be wrong, Fluker is not polished but I do really love his upside.

The most athletic olinemen are tackles, if a player has always been a guard then he wasn't athletic enough to move to tackle. If a player is a tackle but is slow for a tackle he is still more athletic than the guard. Plus tackles have more responsibility on the oline than guards do, if a former tackle moves to guard it should be an easier transition.

I'm well aware what the responsibilities of each position is and Fluker is slower and not as fleet of foot as Warford is. Athletic ability is not my main concern for a RG IMO, if one has it ...great, but not a huge priority. I want a guy that is big, strong, and a very good run blocker. People act as if our guards need to be ballerina's and run fast 40 time's. 

I certainly understand your logic but I do not think they are in the same class in terms of talent. Fluker dominated everyone he faced in the run game, I think he comes inside and does the same thing, I really do. Warford would definitely be a good fit, but doesn't drive d-linemen the way Fluker does. I just believe Fluker could be the missing piece to the puzzle that really makes this the O-Line we need to run a power-running game.

I could be wrong, Fluker is not polished but I do really love his upside.

I'm not against him if Grigson and Pagano thinks he can make the move without any problem, Lord knows we need somebody other than McGlynn starting, but I just don't think they'll pick him over the natural fit, JMO.

I'm well aware what the responsibilities of each position is and Fluker is slower and not as fleet of foot as Warford is. Athletic ability is not my main concern for a RG IMO, if one has it ...great, but not a huge priority. I want a guy that is big, strong, and a very good run blocker. People act as if our guards need to be ballerina's and run fast 40 time's. 

I have said before I would like to draft Fluker, I would also like Warford, I was just responding to your query why do people want to move Fluker out of position to guard.

Fluker at 6"6" 335 is comparable in size to Warford 6"3" 343, Fluker looks like a big poweful man, and I believe was rated high for his run blocking.

I'm so glad Grigson was a past O-ineman with his experience he will be a great judge of O-line talent and who ever he picks if he picks an O-line guy I trust he'll make the right call, When I ranked the 2 from CBS Prospect Fluker was at 20 and Warford was 47 but they updated right after I posted so Fluker is at 21 and Warford is at 48 now, Fluker is 6'5" and 338 and perfect size for a RG and Warford a RG is 6'3" and 332, either one will be hard to push out of the way as G and with there strength will be able to open holes, I would be OK with Fluker at #24 or trade out for a high 2nd and a low or high 3rd or a high 2nd and a high 4th, high picks I mentioned are the ones right when the rounds start so no confusion and get Warford at the high 2nd pick and get an extra pick I would be OK with that and both would be thrilled to be a Colts player and playoffs almost a given with A.Luck they will be really pumped up for mega/Lotta wins and a chance at a SB and we get them at Rookie contracts another plus.....

I'm getting more and more pumped every day and I do believe the Colts are like 5 players away from regaining the AFC South for a decade or more and multiple championships in that time span, WOO HOO 14 days till the draft! Oh My! Please someone calm me down :}LOL

Go Colts!!!!!

Go Grigson!!!!!

Warford isn't going in the 1st, you can kill that talk.

The thing that scares me about Warford is that he is slow out of his stance far too often, faster DL will feast off that at the NFL level, and him pulling and trapping isn't very good and that's what Pep loves to do with his guards

Warford isn't going in the 1st, you can kill that talk.

The thing that scares me about Warford is that he is slow out of his stance far too often, faster DL will feast off that at the NFL level, and him pulling and trapping isn't very good and that's what Pep loves to do with his guards

Not to mention average hand punch

What exactly is average hand punch and how is that measured?

Is there a hand punch machine that measures that?

Sounds extremely subjective to me.

Not to belittle but........... C'mon

Can the guy push HIS guy down the field? ......... Good enough for me.

Can the guy protect the QB?........ Good enough for me.

Everything else doesn't seem to matter

What exactly is average hand punch and how is that measured?

Is there a hand punch machine that measures that?

Sounds extremely subjective to me.

Not to belittle but........... C'mon

Can the guy push HIS guy down the field? ......... Good enough for me.

Can the guy protect the QB?........ Good enough for me.

Everything else doesn't seem to matter

It is subjective, but it's also important. It's a part of blocking.

Personally, I'd like Warford, but not at #24.

It is subjective, but it's also important. It's a part of blocking.

Personally, I'd like Warford, but not at #24.

I agree about not round 1..,,,,,,,,,

Actually I don't see anyone saying that on this thread.

He would be available if we trade the first

I agree about not round 1..,,,,,,,,,

Actually I don't see anyone saying that on this thread.

He would be available if we trade the first

A few weeks ago, the idea of trading out of #24 was growing on me. But the boards seem to be shuffling here lately, and I think there might be some top notch guys still there that fit our team. I honestly have NO IDEA what is going to happen two weeks from now.

I did a little breakdown of Warford and what I saw and this echoes some of the things I saw he does well and also needs to improve 

Thanks for the video, I haven't time to look at many draft prospects, its nice to put a face ( or helmet ) to the name. He looks like a slobber knocker, I wouldn't be mad at all if he was drafted by the Colts. I would prefer that they trade down to do it, but I wouldn't hate it if they did not.

obviously neither warford or fluker will be around in 3rd-------if you wait till 3rd you now might be looking at HERMANN,WINTERS OR MAYBE BARRET JONES (IFFY)

If the Colts went somewherer other than G with #24, then I would love Barret Jones in the third if he is there. Start at G then maybe slide to center in a few years.

why?   CB simply is not a need any longer.     

OLB, OG, and maybe WR in the draft......      Book it...

When Indy starts "rushing" the QB...    all of a sudden the CB's are going to start looking real good.

ooooooooo the cornerbackites ain't gonna have any of that. You'll smoke a turd in heck for that one!

A few weeks ago, the idea of trading out of #24 was growing on me. But the boards seem to be shuffling here lately, and I think there might be some top notch guys still there that fit our team. I honestly have NO IDEA what is going to happen two weeks from now.

You and me both.......