Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st Round Pick.....

Walden just can not get to the QB. I don't care how good he is against the run people say I want my 3-4 OLB getting to the QB. Mathis won't demand the triple teams Clay Matthews got which worries me even more about walden. Not to mention it doesnt hurt to have many guys who can rush the passer just look at the giants. 

Unfortunately it looks like Cooper/Warmack will be gone by the time our pick comes now

You don't know what Walden can do bc you have never watched him play (besides highlights), so you don't know whats he capable of. You just going by the rumors like everyone else. I seriously doubt Grigs would give 16 mil to a olb that can't rush the passer.

You don't know what Walden can do bc you have never watched him play (besides highlights), so you don't know whats he capable of. You just going by the rumors like everyone else. I seriously doubt Grigs would give 16 mil to a olb that can't rush the passer.

Really? I guess I must be making up the fact he has 9 career sacks in 6 years and I most definently must be making up that he had only 3 sacks last year when he had Clay Matthews eating up 2 blockers on most plays. Yup definitely rumors. If you want to look even deeper into last year these are the teams he managed to get a sack against

Chicago .5

Stl .5 

Detroit- 2

Not to mention he could not get a sack against the colts and did not record a sack the final 6 games of the season. Excuse me for not being overly optimistic. 

Edit: If there were Eric Walden highlights they would be incredibly boring.

Really? I guess I must be making up the fact he has 9 career sacks in 6 years and I most definently must be making up that he had only 3 sacks last year when he had Clay Matthews eating up 2 blockers on most plays. Yup definitely rumors. If you want to look even deeper into last year these are the teams he managed to get a sack against

Chicago .5

Stl .5

Detroit- 2

Not to mention he could not get a sack against the colts and did not record a sack the final 6 games of the season. Excuse me for not being overly optimistic.

its not all about sacks, Walden had 26.5 QB pressures so he has his share of rushing capability

"Last year, he filled in after outside linebacker Nick Perry went out for the season with a knee injury. He ended up playing 70-percent of the team’s defensive snaps, with 26.5 quarterback pressures."

http://www.hudsonstarobserver.com/event/article/id/49917/

Really? I guess I must be making up the fact he has 9 career sacks in 6 years and I most definently must be making up that he had only 3 sacks last year when he had Clay Matthews eating up 2 blockers on most plays. Yup definitely rumors. If you want to look even deeper into last year these are the teams he managed to get a sack against

Chicago .5

Stl .5 

Detroit- 2

Not to mention he could not get a sack against the colts and did not record a sack the final 6 games of the season. Excuse me for not being overly optimistic. 

Out of those 6 years in the NFL how many of them did he really get any meaningful playing time? Question how many games have you seen him play in? I know for a fact not many. Sacks don't always tell the story, anyone who watches football knows that. So, you pointed out he didn't get that any sacks against us right.. well let me ask you another question how many QB pressures did he have against us? (which are just as good as a sack IMO)

its not all about sacks, Walden had 26.5 QB pressures so he has his share of rushing capability

"Last year, he filled in after outside linebacker Nick Perry went out for the season with a knee injury. He ended up playing 70-percent of the team’s defensive snaps, with 26.5 quarterback pressures."

Thank you. I agree 100%

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/14/signature-stat-snapshot-pass-rushing-productivity/

Profootballfocus has him in the bottom 20 in pass rushing productivity. 

Out of those 6 years in the NFL how many of them did he really get any meaningful playing time? Question how many games have you seen him play in? I know for a fact not many. Sacks don't always tell the story, anyone who watches football knows that. So, you pointed out he didn't get that any sacks against us right.. well let me ask you another question how many QB pressures did he have against us? (which are just as good as a sack IMO)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/14/signature-stat-snapshot-pass-rushing-productivity/

There is your answer. A sack is just as good as a pressure? I'm sorry did you really just say that? That is like saying a pass deflection is just as good as a pick. So in 6 years he did not get meaningful playing time? One might think that is cause he sucks. 

You referenced the Colts game, here is what PFF said on his play:

"He dropped into coverage on nine occasions and was graded positively on five of them, including a pass deflection and another hit to break up a pass. He also chipped in with three hurries and two knockdowns of Andrew Luck as a pass-rusher. "

There is your answer. A sack is just as good as a pressure? I'm sorry did you really just say that? That is like saying a pass deflection is just as good as a pick. So in 6 years he did not get meaningful playing time? One might think that is cause he sucks. 

"That is like saying a pass deflection is just as good as a pick." LOL sorry i didn't know a sack was a turnover. He sucks? you don't sound to bright with that comment,but i forgot you know more than Grigs and the entire Colts scouting staff. And fyi qb pressures can lead to picks genius.

You referenced the Colts game, here is what PFF said on his play:

"He dropped into coverage on nine occasions and was graded positively on five of them, including a pass deflection and another hit to break up a pass. He also chipped in with three hurries and two knockdowns of Andrew Luck as a pass-rusher. "

Better than I remember him playing. Then why did the packers want to replace him? He is a backup.

"That is like saying a pass deflection is just as good as a pick." LOL sorry i didn't know a sack was a turnover. He sucks? you don't sound to bright with that comment,but i forgot you know more than Grigs and the entire Colts scouting staff. And fyi qb pressures can lead to picks genius.

Sack- ends play and loss of yards 

pressure- nothing guaranteed

No it is not as good. Right as bright as you thinking a guy who didn't much playing time could possibly be good. Probably why they drafted Nick Perry to start over the guy. They clearly did not view him as a starter. 

Better than I remember him playing. Then why did the packers want to replace him? He is a backup.

Sack- ends play and loss of yards 

pressure- nothing guaranteed

No it is not as good. Right as bright as you thinking a guy who didn't much playing time could possibly be good. Probably why they drafted Nick Perry to start over the guy. They clearly did not view him as a starter. 

Yea, how did that turn out smart guy? Also, you don't know what the Packers thought of Walden bc he sure did end up starting games last season. And maybe they thought Nick Perry was the BPA at that point in the draft and went with that approach..that doesnt mean they thought Walden wasn't capable of being a starter. Once again that's your opinion AGAIN.

The guy is clearly not a big sacker.

He plays opposite Mathews, I wonder who he beat for two sacks against Detroit? :jump:

The guy is clearly not a big sacker.

He plays opposite Mathews, I wonder who he beat for two sacks against Detroit? :jump:

He may not be a "big sacker" but he is a good all around player (solid against run and pass). We saw what happened to our last "one-deminsional" pass rusher..he's a free agent now bc he is to much of a liablity in the run game.

Yea, how did that turn out smart guy? Also, you don't know what the Packers thought of Walden bc he sure did end up starting games last season. And maybe they thought Nick Perry was the BPA at that point in the draft and went with that approach..that doesnt mean they thought Walden wasn't capable of being a starter. Once again that's your opinion AGAIN.

How does Perry getting hurt validate Walden at all? Hint: It doesnt. Not like the packers were in a bidding war with us to keep him. If walden was capable of starter then he would have started over Perry at the beginning of the season not when he got hurt. Just because you start does not make you a good player just look at our offensive line last year for proof of that. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1569001-how-erik-walden-duped-colts-into-overpaying-for-his-services

Here are some key quotes

"In 2012, Walden's PFF season grade of minus-25.5 as a pass rusher ranked dead-last in the league, and in 2011, his minus-17.6 grade in run defense ranked 28th among 28 players at the position."

"Walden entered the 2011 as the starting outside linebacker opposite Clay Matthews. He started 15 games, recorded three sacks and entered unrestricted free agency.

There wasn't much of a market for Walden on the free-agent front, so the Packers were able to bring him back on a one-year contract worth $700,000 with no guaranteed money, according to ESPN Wisconsin. And after another three-sack season in 2012, Walden received a pay raise of over $15 million from the Colts."

How does Perry getting hurt validate Walden at all? Hint: It doesnt. Not like the packers were in a bidding war with us to keep him. If walden was capable of starter then he would have started over Perry at the beginning of the season not when he got hurt. Just because you start does not make you a good player just look at our offensive line last year for proof of that. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1569001-how-erik-walden-duped-colts-into-overpaying-for-his-services

Here are some key quotes

"In 2012, Walden's PFF season grade of minus-25.5 as a pass rusher ranked dead-last in the league, and in 2011, his minus-17.6 grade in run defense ranked 28th among 28 players at the position."

"Walden entered the 2011 as the starting outside linebacker opposite Clay Matthews. He started 15 games, recorded three sacks and entered unrestricted free agency.

There wasn't much of a market for Walden on the free-agent front, so the Packers were able to bring him back on a one-year contract worth $700,000 with no guaranteed money, according to ESPN Wisconsin. And after another three-sack season in 2012, Walden received a pay raise of over $15 million from the Colts."

Is it possible the Packers were not using him as a pure pass rush? Your looking too much into stats when they don't tell the full story. If we really wanted a pure pass rusher with not much to offer in the run game we could have signed Cliff Avril for that matter or even kept Freeney. We got a olb who can drop in coverage and play solid against the run and pass..so go cry Grigs a river bc no one cares how you feel about it he's a Colt now.

I'm reading that some think we should trade it or use it. Far as I'm concerned we need to think about drafting Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis' future replacement and a right guard as well. If we sign DHB then we should definetly draft a OLB first because I am not sold on Erik walden at all. If we don't get heyward bey then def a receiver. Either way drafting a replacement player for Wayne or Mathis is def what we should do. It all comes down to who is available at #24 and who grigson likes best

1. TRADE (And with the DHB @ WR  talk)

2. Warford G

3. Bostic LB, Lemonier LB, Slay CB

3. Schwenke C/G, Washington LB, *Harper WR

4. Ray Ray Armstrong FS 6'4 225 Miami...sort of.

6. Jusczyck FB

7. McCalebb RB

He may not be a "big sacker" but he is a good all around player (solid against run and pass). We saw what happened to our last "one-deminsional" pass rusher..he's a free agent now bc he is to much of a liablity in the run game.

You are funny. Who do you think was playing RT in Waldens Big career 2 sack game against Detroit? Just wondering, which was the point of my original comment.

lol

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/170650

This guy have us taking Manti Te'o at #24, and i don't really agree that ILB is a need, no Te'o tho.. in a division where they ran at you.. can't see it.

I've been saying that we should draft WR after what we did in FA, and i'll stick to it even if we sign DHB, just because the guy comes from a brutal concussion, I like him, good size, good speed, "inconsistent" is a good word to describe his hands, well.. inconsistent cost us the playoff game last year, a couple of awful Avery drops.

Contenders and good playoff teams doesn't have "inconsistent" #2 WR in their rosters.

You are gonna have to define "consistant" for me because I think there are several good playoff teams with questionable #2 WRs.

• 49'ers; who exactly is their #2 WR off the top off your head?
  • Bengals; the line for #2 WR on this team is longer than a Miami Heat win streak.
  • Texans; Kevin Walter was sooooo consistent, right?

We actually have a good problem on our hands... we have several WRs who can produce the way a #2 WR should. Our problem won't be at the #2 spot... it'll be at the #1 spot before long.

I reallyy doubt we draft a olb with our first pick..and i don't know how some of you guys are not sold on Erik Walden when you really haven't even seen him play yet. Stop going by the rumors you hear and give the guy a chance!

LoL. He's been playing alongside Clay Matthews and behind B.J. Raji and has maxed at 3 sacks in a year. Combine that with being charged with beating his girlfriend (she later dropped the charge), and trust me, that signing sucked. I'm giving Grigson the benefit of the doubt on overpaying every FA this year, but not for that signing. Can't forgive that.

That said. Round 1, the longer I think about it the more I love the idea of building in the trenches now that we have our franchise QB. DL Datone Jones, Johnathan Hankins, or C Barrett Jones would all be sweet at 24. There are some CB's who'd be nice selections as well. Don't have to wait too long to find out now ;)

Right now (assuming we sign Heyward-Bey) this is what our starting lineup looks like:

QB: Andrew Luck

RB: Vick Ballard/Donald Brown/Delone Carter

TE: Dwayne Allen/Coby Fleener

LT: Anthony Castonzo

LG: Donald Thomas

C: Satele/Shipley

RG: McGlynn/Reitz/Ijalana/Shipley

RT: Gosder Cherilus

WR1: Reggie Wayne

WR2: Darrius Heyward-Bey

WR(slot): T.Y. Hilton

DE: Corey Redding

NT: Franklin/McKinney/Chapman/Tevaseu

DE: Ricky Jean-Francios

OLB: Walden/Hughes/Sidbury

ILB: Pant Angerer/Kavell Conner

ILB: Jerrell Freeman/Kavell Conner

OLB: Robert Mathis

CB: Vontae Davis

FS: Antoine Bethea

SS: Laron Landry

CB: Greg Toler

Glaring holes for me at this point are C, RG, NT, and OLB. Hoping Hughes can eventually settle in and start to develop and maybe Grigson did his research on Walden and Sidbury, fingers crossed. It just seems that we need to get Andrew a center and then go after a guard because none of those 4 guys can get it done. The only one I hold faith in is Ijalana but you never know with injuries. Reitz is a decent backup but thats about it. I wouldn't mind us seeing us do this in the draft.

R1: D.J. Fluker T/G Alabama

R3: Barrett Jones G/C Alabama

R5: Used to trade up a few slots to snag Fluker

R6: Used to trade up a few slots to snag Jones

R7: T.J. Barnes NT Georgia Tech

R7: Best OL/NT/OLB/WR left

Don't know if trading up those picks would be adequate but I would be fine with that draft. Fluker and Jones would be better pick ups than what we have right now and both are 6'5" 315+. I also like picking Barnes from Georgia Tech purely on size because he is 6'6" 370 just thinking he could possibly develop into something good. I know a lot of people won't like it but we can always focus on drafting a future #1 wideout next year in the 1st round or possibly a stud OLB but right now we have to sure up that line to protect Andrew at all costs. What do you guys think?

We don't need a center, just a right guard, we need to cut mcglynn

Is it possible the Packers were not using him as a pure pass rush? Your looking too much into stats when they don't tell the full story. If we really wanted a pure pass rusher with not much to offer in the run game we could have signed Cliff Avril for that matter or even kept Freeney. We got a olb who can drop in coverage and play solid against the run and pass..so go cry Grigs a river bc no one cares how you feel about it he's a Colt now.

Sigh apparently you still do not understand. Reading comprehension must not be your thing because profootballfocus ranked him as THE WORST OLB in 2011 and 2012. He was judged on a per snap basis so when he does try to go after the QB he fails at it. And ya lets ignore it blatantly said too he was the worst against the run in 2011. It is amazing how someone ca ignore facts but more power to you. Apparently you care how I feel or you would ave stopped responding a long time ago. 

I'm not personally enamored with this years WR prospects. I think they are solid, but no one really grabs me. I would rather draft receiver next year and pick up an OG or OLB this year. 

On another note......how in the heck is Brandon Moore still available and why is he not a Colt?

Although there doesn't seem to be an AJ Green or Julio Jones.....this WR class is DEEP....there are going to be some high potential WR's going in the later rounds.

Although there doesn't seem to be an AJ Green or Julio Jones.....this WR class is DEEP....there are going to be some high potential WR's going in the later rounds.

If we do go WR early....I like Hopkins

If we wait....I like Rogers

This is solely off of YouTube highlights of all the "usual suspect" WRs....but thats all i have to look at combined with combine performance

You are gonna have to define "consistant" for me because I think there are several good playoff teams with questionable #2 WRs.

• 49'ers; who exactly is their #2 WR off the top off your head?
  • Bengals; the line for #2 WR on this team is longer than a Miami Heat win streak.
  • Texans; Kevin Walter was sooooo consistent, right?

We actually have a good problem on our hands... we have several WRs who can produce the way a #2 WR should. Our problem won't be at the #2 spot... it'll be at the #1 spot before long.

By consistent #2 is to be thrown in your area at least 30%, if your #1 get 45-50 % of the time or it's just always where the QB is looking at.

49ers had Manningham, Moss and Walker, being a team that have a really strong running game, it's pretty good. Now, i see Bengals in our same level, so they need that #2 to get to the next level, along with a couple of peaces in defense. Texans are going to draft 2 WR in this draft, so they see their need.

I agree we have some guys, "potencial" dudes, i like some of them, but i don't see the answer there, and reggie can't take the same beating he took last year being the target 200 times, he's awesome, he's also 35.

I think we should go ILB Alec Ogletree or Arthur Brown both have 1st round grades.  Angerer and Conner aren't athletic and big enough to be 3-4 a ILB, both are Tampa 2 lb's. Freeman is the only starter we have and if you really want to get a great ilb it's better if you get them in the 1st or 2nd round. With the exception of Bowman who was a 3rd round pick Willis,Beason,Wagner,Kuechly,Cushing,Timmons,Mayo were all 1st or early 2nd round picks. It's rare to draft a great ilb beyond the 2nd round because the talent level drops off. Ogletree and Brown have the potential to be all pro like those guys.

I agree on that front....I was only speaking of using our first round pick on a WR.

I agree on that front....I was only speaking of using our first round pick on a WR.

I gotcha. Honestly the only guy I think would be great value at 24 is Hopkins....he just has that solid "reggie" look to his game. Great hands!

Would like to stay away from Allen and Hunter, not impressed. Austin and Patterson won't be there, which i'm cool with.

Sigh apparently you still do not understand. Reading comprehension must not be your thing because profootballfocus ranked him as THE WORST OLB in 2011 and 2012. He was judged on a per snap basis so when he does try to go after the QB he fails at it. And ya lets ignore it blatantly said too he was the worst against the run in 2011. It is amazing how someone ca ignore facts but more power to you. Apparently you care how I feel or you would ave stopped responding a long time ago. 

LOL so he's really the worst against the run AND the pass now..okay now i see why we signed him good points. Just for the record you responded to one of my posts so keep crying like you have been it won't get you far.

I think we should go ILB Alec Ogletree or Arthur Brown both have 1st round grades.  Angerer and Conner aren't athletic and big enough to be 3-4 a ILB, both are Tampa 2 lb's. Freeman is the only starter we have and if you really want to get a great ilb it's better if you get them in the 1st or 2nd round. With the exception of Bowman who was a 3rd round pick Willis,Beason,Wagner,Kuechly,Cushing,Timmons,Mayo were all 1st or early 2nd round picks. It's rare to draft a great ilb beyond the 2nd round because the talent level drops off. Ogletree and Brown have the potential to be all pro like those guys.

I wouldn't mind getting Nico Johnson from Alabama.  Last I saw he was projected as a 4th round pick.  I'd be very happy with:

round 1: best de/dt available 

round 3: Brandon Jenkins, OLB

round 4: Nico Johnson, ILB

rest of draft get a couple offensive linemen and maybe grab Dan Buckner, WR in the 7th :)

I wouldn't mind getting Nico Johnson from Alabama.  Last I saw he was projected as a 4th round pick.  I'd be very happy with:

round 1: best de/dt available 

round 3: Brandon Jenkins, OLB

round 4: Nico Johnson, ILB

rest of draft get a couple offensive linemen and maybe grab Dan Buckner, WR in the 7th :)

Nico Johnson ran a 4.8  40 isn't fast enough have to be athletic enough to play sideline to sideline. He'll be better as a 4-3 MLB not 3-4 ILB.

Nico Johnson ran a 4.8  40 isn't fast enough have to be athletic enough to play sideline to sideline. He'll be better as a 4-3 MLB not 3-4 ILB.

I'm sure some teams will agree with that.  However he played in a 3-4 at Alabama and played well so I'd have no problem taking a chance on him in the 4th regardless of what he ran in the 40. :)

LOL so he's really the worst against the run AND the pass now..okay now i see why we signed him good points. Just for the record you responded to one of my posts so keep crying like you have been it won't get you far.

You have done nothing to prove he is a good player other then "Zomgggg trust our GM. No way he can be wrong". Meanwhile I have provided many articles and quotes on why he was overpaid and is not a good player based on his on field production. 

You have done nothing to prove he is a good player other then "Zomgggg trust our GM. No way he can be wrong". Meanwhile I have provided many articles and quotes on why he was overpaid and is not a good player based on his on field production. 

Like I said and will continue to say stats don't always tell how impactful a persons play is, but you wouldn't know that. So just stop crying and complaining about a guy you have never seen play.

NFL.com just posted some interesting videos with the "top" WR's of this draft in a workout sesion with "The Playmaker", it's pretty good stuff

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000153484/Game-Changers-The-Interview

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000153486/Game-Changers-The-Field

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000153485/Game-Changers-Going-Deep

Keenan Allen is still getting that knee fully healed, but it a good chance to see the personality of some of this guys. I strongly believe one of those guys is gonna be a Colt next year (if not it's Hopkins or Hunter)

Just for consideration, a quote from an article on grading ILB prospects by Bill Polian:

For instance, a team with a 3-4 base defense will often feature interior linebackers with slower 40 times than a 4-3 team, with a Tampa 2 team placing even more emphasis on speed at middle linebacker.

**Thank you to NewColtsFan for posting the article.

ILB is not a postion of need. we have 2 good players and one good back up.

You would take Rhodes over everyone?? The Rhodes fever continues.....

Anyone who would realistically fall to us, yes. would i take rhodes over williams, hankins, allen, moore (the guys most mocked to us)...Yes. Even say some higher talent like Mingo, Jones, fluker i would choose rhodes over them. Rhodes has potential to be a shutdown corner and immediately start. and by the way i was saying draft rhodes long before the combine, when he was projected as a late first to early mid second.