Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's latest tweet (Saturday 3/16)

GoColts8818

I think the Colts would disagree which is why they are pushing so hard for a WR.  They seem to feel a number two WR is a need.  I think that is the one thing we now know for sure out of all of this.  I know others here are okay with Hilton but I think he works better in the slot.  That's not to say he couldn't play outside if he needed too I just think he works better there so the Colts are trying to find another proven outside guy for Luck.

As for why the Colts would make this move now and not just wait for free agency there is no promise they will get him if they wait for free agency.  Someone else could just out bid them for Maclin.  Also odds they would end up over paying for him if he hit the open market as a free agent.  If they trade for him the chances they will be able to keep him go up.  I am sure if they invest in a trade for him they are going to work out a deal to keep him here and that could be part of the hold up is that the Colts are making sure Maclin will sign an extension if they trade for him.  If they can't get an extension done and they do trade for him they can always franchise tag him after the season.  Either way they will probably not end up paying as much for Maclin on a long term deal as they would if he hit the open market and if he hits the open market there is no promise you will land him as a free agent either. 

Do you think 1st round is a fair price or are you thinking something later?  Fleener, Allen, TY, Bazil, & Reggie that is pretty decent talent as a group, They aren't in dire need like they were for CB last year.  

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owner Jim Irsay confirmed Sunday night that restricted free agent Victor Cruz is not the wide receiver the Colts are targeting.

"It's not Cruz," Irsay said. Giving up a first-round pick for Cruz, in addition to a top-five wide receiver contract, was never remotely realistic for Indy. Other rumored targets include Seahawks slot man Doug Baldwin and Eagles contract-year wideout Jeremy Maclin, particularly after Philly traded for Arrelious Benn.

Per rotoworld.

-Source, Colts Message Boards

Been saying that one for awhile now...

He would make a perfect fit at #2.

I dont think he is giving any hints to be honest, I think we are just reading to much into words such as "reel" and "Whopper", which really helps pass the time because it keeps us guessing so much but like I said, I dont think he is hinting at anything, I could see him doing something  like that though, I just dont think he is this time

So, maybe it is Davone Bess... He said he was trying to 'reel in' a 'whopper.' Going fishing.... a Dolphin is something you could reel in? IDK.. thats a reach probably.

I really hope its a bigger guy to add a little size to our core. But ultimatley if they have good hands, can run good routes and get open then that's what matters.

I really hope its a bigger guy to add a little size to our core. But ultimatley if they have good hands, can run good routes and get open then that's what matters.

Bess is none of what you just described. He's been the #3 WR for the longest on the Dolphins. He's garbage

Bess is none of what you just described. He's been the #3 WR for the longest on the Dolphins. He's garbage

Take into consideration the plethora of crap QB's that have been throwing him the ball(Including the one they currently have under Center) and he actually has not been bad

Well, I just got off the phone with irsay. Told him about our thread and how we've been hopelessly waiting for the news.

He said he knows and he been watch the progress of the thread and is very impressed.

He also told me who the player is and not to tell anyone.

I can't keep it in anymore. The WR is.....................

......(phone dies)

Well, I just got off the phone with irsay. Told him about our thread and how we've been hopelessly waiting for the news.

He said he knows and he been watch the progress of the thread and is very impressed.

......(phone dies)

:funny: Sick sick man you are! I like it!  ;)

Take into consideration the plethora of crap QB's that have been throwing him the ball(Including the one they currently have under Center) and he actually has not been bad

Well, Tannehill must be good if they took him #8 overall I believe. I knew Tannehill was bad, but apparently the Dolphins thought otherwise

Do you think 1st round is a fair price or are you thinking something later?  Fleener, Allen, TY, Bazil, & Reggie that is pretty decent talent as a group, They aren't in dire need like they were for CB last year.  

It doesn't really matter what I think.  Personally if it were up to me I would just draft a guy in the first round of the draft.  I am telling you based on these reports that it looks like the Colts have decided that it is a priority to them or they wouldn't be looking to make a trade for one.  That's the one thing I think we can take away from all of this.  Adding a number two WR to the Colts roster seems to be a priority to them. 

I am not 100% sure where the first round draft pick came from and I don't really feel like looking back threw 55 pages of this thread to see if it was a legit report or just speculation that is being thrown out there by fans like we have already seen with other things in this thread.  We have to be careful about that because it seems like fans are throwing some stuff out there that they would like and it's being turned into that is what the Colts are really doing.  If there is a legit report linking the Colts to trading their first round pick for Maclin that's one thing.  If it's just speculation from fans I wouldn't put too much stock in that.  There have been super star WRs traded in this league for much less than a first round pick. 

Also while Fleener and Allen are nice weapons they don't help us at WR.  We have three guys right now that we know will be on this roster at WR.  It seems pretty clear based on this that the Colts are looking to add another WR.  Again, if people want to debate if they should or not that's fine but it doesn't change the fact that the Colts are actively looking for a WR at this point which is what this thread is really about.  So people can say it's not a huge need like cornerback was last year and they are probably right but it doesn't change the fact the Colts are looking for one. 

I think part of the reason the Colts are looking for a WR was that at times last year late in the season when teams were really focusing on taking Reggie away from us our passing game would get stagnate at times unless Luck could hit a deep pass.  I think the Colts are looking for a guy who can take some of the heat off of Reggie and help to open up the whole offense.  I also think they like Hilton in the slot and like I said before while he probably could be a number two WR they think he will do better in the slot so they are trying to play to the strengths of their players here. 

The other thing they are trying to do is get Reggie's replacement in place.  Reggie signed a three year deal last year so odds are after next season rather he retires or his contract is expired I wouldn't be shocked if Wayne is gone.  They have the QB, they are starting to put a good young line in front of Luck, they have what they think is a solid young back in Ballard, they have good young tightends.  They have good second and third options at WR in Hilton and Brazil.  The one thing missing from the offense is the future number one WR. 

......(phone dies)

MAN you just trying to egg all of us on!!!!! haha

Ive only watched highlight reels and he seem to have running back agility but I dont know too much on the hands and route running.

I just don't think he's the guy we're trading for. TY is better. Actually, a few of our WR's are better. I think we're really going for a known player. Bess is known, but not a household name kinda guy

Well, Tannehill must be good if they took him #8 overall I believe. I knew Tannehill was bad, but apparently the Dolphins thought otherwise

" but apparently the Dolphins thought otherwise'

Thats why they are in the mess they are in, Tannehill was a massive reach, Besides Raiders thought Jamarcus Russell was worth the first round #1 pick because he had a rocket arm, howd that work out?

I just don't think he's the guy we're trading for. TY is better. Actually, a few of our WR's are better. I think we're really going for a known player. Bess is known, but not a household name kinda guy

Yeah thats what I'm hoping. I would just love a name at least!!!! This is crazy!!!

" but apparently the Dolphins thought otherwise'

Thats why they are in the mess they are in, Tannehill was a massive reach, Besides Raiders thought Jamarcus Russell was worth the first round pick because he had a rocket arm, howd that work out?

I tried telling people. Tannehill was a WR & he was a QB for only one year. People gotta look at the game tape. When he played us (Texas Longhorns), we showed just how bad he was. Guess the Dolphins missed that game smh

corgi, on 17 Mar 2013 - 21:47, said:snapback.png

Owner Jim Irsay confirmed Sunday night that restricted free agent Victor Cruz is not the wide receiver the Colts are targeting.

"It's not Cruz," Irsay said. Giving up a first-round pick for Cruz, in addition to a top-five wide receiver contract, was never remotely realistic for Indy. Other rumored targets include Seahawks slot man Doug Baldwin and Eagles contract-year wideout Jeremy Maclin, particularly after Philly traded for Arrelious Benn.

Per rotoworld.

-Source, Colts Message Boards

We are sources now?!?!?!?!?  Dear God help us all rotoworld has sunk to a new low if it was really written like that lol.  Also anyone else find it strange that we are pretty much using our own message board to give us news about what is going and stating that is a legit source.  None of this is meant at the OP he is just reporting what they found. 

corgi, on 17 Mar 2013 - 21:47, said:snapback.png

We are sources now?!?!?!?!?  Dear God help us all rotoworld has sunk to a new low if it was really written like that lol.  Also anyone else find it strange that we are pretty much using our own message board to give us news about what is going and stating that is a legit source.  None of this is meant at the OP he is just reporting what they found. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=6313&line=258272&spln=1

We're not a source.

I think a legitimate case can be made for Fitz. I have missed a lot of posts so I do not know if this case has already been made, if it has I guess I am making it again.

Do I think it will happen ...probably not.  But, the elements for it to happen do exist:

1) The Bruce Arians connection.

2) Fitz is at the age where his window to win a Superbowl is starting to close and he may be saying this behind closed doors ... The odds are against the Arizona getting all the pieces together to make real runs within time frame.  The Colts are 1-2 years from being contenders; acquiring Fitz makes us legitimate contenders if not this year than definitely next year.

3) With our 1st round pick (plus whatever other picks we have to give up) and their 1st they can easily both acquire a top QB and a top WR  that is young enough to be in his prime by the time they have their team ready to contend.

4) It makes sense for us because Fitz gives us Reggie's replacement and as I said earlier makes us legitimate contenders as early as this season.

I do not think the Arizona fans would like this move, but it would be a good move for their franchise in the longterm.

I think a legitimate case can be made for Fitz. I have missed a lot of posts so I do not know if this case has already been made, if it has I guess I am making it again.

Do I think it will happen ...probably not.  But, the elements for it to happen do exist:

2) Fitz is at the age where his window to win a Superbowl is starting to close and he may be saying this behind closed doors ... The odds are against the Arizona getting all the pieces together to make real runs within time frame.  The Colts are 1-2 years from being contenders; acquiring Fitz makes us legitimate contenders if not this year than definitely next year.

3) With our 1st round pick (plus whatever other picks we have to give up) and their 1st they can easily both acquire a top QB and a top WR  that is young enough to be in his prime by the time they have their team ready to contend.

4) It makes sense for us because Fitz gives us Reggie's replacement and as I said earlier makes us legitimate contenders as early as this season.

I do not think the Arizona fans would like this move, but it would be a good move for their franchise in the longterm.

the only thing is that he will be 30 by next season which doesn't benefit us

Do I think it will happen ...probably not. But, the elements for it to happen do exist:

2) Fitz is at the age where his window to win a Superbowl is starting to close and he may be saying this behind closed doors ... The odds are against the Arizona getting all the pieces together to make real runs within time frame. The Colts are 1-2 years from being contenders; acquiring Fitz makes us legitimate contenders if not this year than definitely next year.

3) With our 1st round pick (plus whatever other picks we have to give up) and their 1st they can easily both acquire a top QB and a top WR that is young enough to be in his prime by the time they have their team ready to contend.

Honestly man, all valid points. However his monster contract is just TOO much for us too absorb. Theres no room for it.

About 90% of cardinal fans come to see fitz the other ten probably come to see peterson. I don't think they are gonna get rid of him.

Yep, the crowd a a Cardinals game includes 4 guys who came to see Fitz, and one guy who couldn't decide whether he wants to see Fitz or Peterson.