Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polians grades for free agents we signed

wabbwubb

Not sure how many of you guys have insider for espn so I thought I would post parts of what polian said about the guys we signed. The article is dated march 11. Im not going to post every player but i will post the ones we signed and how many players are in each of his tiers. Here is the link http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9027405/2013-nfl-free-agency-bill-polian-ranks-top-free-agents-tier

His grading system:

As a GM, when I approached free agency, I utilized a tier system based on how I valued players. It involved several classes, which you'll see below:

Free-agency tiers

A Players: Worth paying big, starter-caliber money.

B Players: Guys I would sign but only if the value made sense.

Special Veterans: Players who may be past their prime, but who offer specific qualities -- including character and leadership -- that can help your team win.

C Players: Guys I'd sign for low-salary, short-term (one or two years) value, with low bonuses.

Offense tier A players: 12 free agents we signed Gosder

A. Gosder CherilusDOB: 6/28/84HT: 6-7WT: 325POS: T2012 TEAM: Detroit

GP 16GS 15Player Analysis

Solid, but nothing spectacular, Cherilus has no glaring deficiencies. Solid tackles are hard to come by, but with lots of linemen in the draft, it might drive down the money for linemen in this free-agent class. GMs know that, and it will be reflected in their offers. I put him with the A's because he's been a reasonably good starter for a time.

Defense tier A players: 11 free agents we signed Landry

A LaRon LandryDOB: 10/14/84HT: 6-0WT: 220POS: S2012 TEAM: NY Jets

Tkl 99Solo 75Sack 0FF 4INT 2Player Analysis

Landry had a good year for a bad team. He's a striker, a big hitter. While he is a little older, he's still a pretty serviceable player. We're closer to B territory now, but for a team looking for a safety, he could do a good job.

Offense tier B players: 13 free agents with a description we signed none

Defense tier B player: 15 free agents with a description we signed Walden & Francois

B Erik WaldenDOB: 12/12/84HT: 6-2WT: 240POS: LB2012 TEAM: Green Bay

Tkl 46Solo 27Sack 3.0FF 0Player Analysis

He's an up-and-coming guy. He flies around the field and is tough. He's well suited to the 3-4, young and with upside. I don't see a big market, but nonetheless he's an asset.

B Ricky Jean FrancoisDOB: 6/23/87HT: 6-3WT: 295POS: DT2012 TEAM: San Fran

Tkl 24Solo 13Sack 2.0FF 0Player Analysis

Another player I've seen improve year over year, he can play all three 3-4 defensive line positions, although he probably is better suited to play a 3-4 end. A solid player, he is young and has shown he can develop.

He then has a section called remaining B players with 27 guys both O & D

We signed Lawrence Sidbury DE 2/6/86 Atlanta --

No C players signed buy us yet or special veterans.

I thought it was interesting seems like polian liked some of these guys before we signed them.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be more interested in how Gavin or B40 rate our signings...... 

In case you've missed many of my postings over the last few days, I love the signings and have made no secret of it. Gavin on the other hand has hated absolutely everything they done. I don't really know why you lumped me into this.

In case you've missed many of my postings over the last few days, I love the signings and have made no secret of it. Gavin on the other hand has hated absolutely everything they done. I don't really know why you lumped me into this.

I think you may have misinterpreted my intention....

I dont know if Polian liking the Colts choices is...A good thing? Or a bad thing?

He is a proven good evaluator...... His son not so much but Bill built a career doing it so I like to hear what he thinks he did give us 10 great NFL years.

Ok, sorry if I did. 

Absolutely no need to say sorry. I thought it was pretty clear that you and Gav were wrestling over the quality of the signings, and I was using that as a cheap shot at our nepotistic ex GM who I believe ruined the reputation of our franchise and the legacy of PM.

Absolutely no need to say sorry. I thought it was pretty clear that you and Gav were wrestling over the quality of the signings, and I was using that as a cheap shot at our nepotistic ex GM who I believe ruined the reputation of our franchise and the legacy of PM.

Holy Toledo!?!?

Ruined the reputation of our franchise and the legacy of PM???!!!???!!!

I'm close to speechless....    and that takes a lot to do....

Did you know that Polian also brought down the US economy in 2008 and is responsible for on-going tension and fighting in the Middle East?!?

Is there anything else we can blame Polian for???

Holy Toledo!?!?

Did you know that Polian also brought down the US economy in 2008 and is responsible for on-going tension and fighting in the Middle East?!?

Aren't you a NEW Colts fan? You weren't around when it happened.......And I also blame him for 'Joey'.......

Holy Toledo!?!?

The Kardashians.

Did the Colts set all time records for winning dur9ing Polian's tenure after years and years of being a doormat and a joke? 

Did the Colts set all time records for winning dur9ing Polian's tenure after years and years of being a doormat and a joke? 

Please do not insult me with that rubbish. Did BP throw those 49 TD's? I watched the hysteria here when Peyton was 'cut'. I saw the joy when BP was 'cut'. Work it out.

Please do not insult me with that rubbish. Did BP throw those 49 TD's? I watched the hysteria here when Peyton was 'cut'. I saw the joy when BP was 'cut'. Work it out.

No he didn't throw 49 TDs . He drafted the guy who threw 49 TDs and the guys who caught them.

Did he draft Marvin, and plunge into the depth of genius and 'pick' Peyton? I now feel so foolish....

Reggie Wayne, Edge James, Jeff Saturday, Robert Mathis, Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders, Antoine Bethea. On that list I see 7 pro bowlers, 3-4 hall of famers, 1 DPOY, and 6 super bowl champions. Those were Polian moves. Seriously, you don't even know what your talking about. You should feel foolish.

Polian was a great evaluator. Once he started to tone down his role in the organization, that was when the team fell apart. I still believe he knows what he is talking about more than a former analyst GM Matt Millen.

I personally have liked these moves and I think we improved in a lot of areas of need. More so than most teams that spent big money to sign guys who have name recognition, and signed 2 or 3 guys, while we got 7 FAs from other teams and kept Butler.

I believe this team will have more wins than last year.

I don't understand many Colt's fans hostility to Polian. Do these fans really think it was Jimmy Irsay, and not Polian and Peyton Manning who brought the best years to Indianapolis ? If you believe that one, than you also believe Jerry Jones is a genius, and Jimmy Johnson had nothing to do with Dallas winning.

I don't understand many Colt's fans hostility to Polian. Do these fans really think it was Jimmy Irsay, and not Polian and Peyton Manning who brought the best years to Indianapolis ? If you believe that one, than you also believe Jerry Jones is a genius, and Jimmy Johnson had nothing to do with Dallas winning.

Because many of them have short memories and don't remember all of the great/elite players he brought here. They only want to judge him off of his last 2-3 years.

Because many of them have short memories and don't remember all of the great/elite players he brought here. They only want to judge him off of his last 2-3 years.

Reggie Wayne, Edge James, Jeff Saturday, Robert Mathis, Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders, Antoine Bethea. On that list I see 7 pro bowlers, 3-4 hall of famers, 1 DPOY, and 6 super bowl champions. Those were Polian moves. Seriously, you don't even know what your talking about. You should feel foolish.

Feeling foolish is not alien to me, for sure. Would you like me to trot out all the pathetic failures as well? They really do even themselves out. He clutched his so called glory from one no brainer pick, and the foolish (your word) declare him the messiah. Did you watch the last 5 years of his tenure, or was that Irsay's fault? Luck, Avery, Allen, Hilton. It's not that hard, is it?

Aren't you a NEW Colts fan? You weren't around when it happened.......And I also blame him for 'Joey'.......

First....   sorry,  but I didn't get the "Joey" reference??   That maybe a Laugh Out Loud moment, and I didn't want it to pass me by, so, please clue me in!!

Second....   while I am NEW Colts fan, I'm not a new fan to football.  I've been following it closely for 45 years.  And I covered it professionally for a living for roughly 20-25 years.    I know football.

The Colts reputation is anything but ruined.   It's one of the finest franchises in football.   One 2-14 season doesn't ruin a team's hard earned reputation.    

Third....   Peyton Manning's reputation is Gold.   It is as safe can be.   He's a first ballot Hall of Famer.   And nothing that happened while he was a Colt has changed that.    Peyton is a living football God.   It was his injury that changed things here.   

If Peyton had been healthy and had a great 2011 season,  then the Colts wouldn't have had a bad season, and wouldn't have been in position to draft either Luck or RG3.     But he got hurt.   That's not Polian's fault, nor Irsay's fault.    It's just football.

Bad things happen in this game.   Even to great players and great people, and Peyton is both.

No reputations have been tarnished....   not even a little bit.

Really.    Seriously.    I give you my word.

Feeling foolish is not alien to me, for sure. Would you like me to trot out all the pathetic failures as well? They really do even themselves out. He clutched his so called glory from one no brainer pick, and the foolish (your word) declare him the messiah. Did you watch the last 5 years of his tenure, or was that Irsay's fault? Luck, Avery, Allen, Hilton. It's not that hard, is it?

In his last 5 years we went to 2 super bowls. Try again.

First....   sorry,  but I didn't get the "Joey" reference??   That maybe a Laugh Out Loud moment, and I didn't want it to pass me by, so, please clue me in!!

Second....   while I am NEW Colts fan, I'm not a new fan to football.  I've been following it closely for 45 years.  And I covered it professionally for a living for roughly 20-25 years.    I know football.

The Colts reputation is anything but ruined.   It's one of the finest franchises in football.   One 2-14 season doesn't ruin a team's hard earned reputation.    

Third....   Peyton Manning's reputation is Gold.   It is as safe can be.   He's a first ballot Hall of Famer.   And nothing that happened while he was a Colt has changed that.    Peyton is a living football God.   It was his injury that changed things here.   

If Peyton had been healthy and had a great 2011 season,  then the Colts wouldn't have had a bad season, and wouldn't have been in position to draft either Luck or RG3.     But he got hurt.   That's not Polian's fault, nor Irsay's fault.    It's just football.

Bad things happen in this game.   Even to great players and great people, and Peyton is both.

No reputations have been tarnished....   not even a little bit.

Really.    Seriously.    I give you my word.

I respect your comments. But Manning has 1 ring, when his ability should have put him up there with Montana and Brady etc. 2009 disgraced the franchise. And will always cast a shadow over our great org. Always......

No one is infailable, but the body of Polian's work, including his years in Buffalo, show that he was a great GM. Like Jerry Jones, Irsay trotted out that Polian trading Manning story, which may have only been discussion as an option among management. Irsay dissing Polian reminded me of Jerry Jones dissing Jimmy Johnson, who basically built that team. Yes, he got another Super Bowl with Switzer, but it all fell apart without Johnson. We'll see if the same thing happens with Grigson. He had a good first year, but so did Jones and Switzer. Time will tell how this goes. All I'm saying is Polian deserves more credit than the fans give him credit for. Look at the Irsay's records before him.

And with a once in a generation QB, we won one in c. 14 years. The same as Tampa, 'Saints and the Ramalamadingdongs.

Let me use your logic. Was Polian playing? You're so hypocritical it's not even funny. He gets no credit for wins, but he gets all the blame for the losses.

Why does Irsay get a pass from most Colt's fans for the 2009 decision, and only one Super Bowl win with Manning ? Wasn't he part of the management team with Polian ? Some of you believe he is the greatest owner in football, and Polian did nothing. If you're going to take down Polian, you need to take down Irsay also.

The bolded portion of this statement is laughable. Ruined the reputation of our franchise?  I must have missed all those franchise quarterbacks we drafted and games we were winning in the 80's and early 90's.  Polian really brought us down man.  <sarcasm>

As for Peyton's legacy it is still a work in progress and he is already a legend.  It was Polian who supplied Peyton with most of the weapons he needed to make his mark in the first place.