Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Now with free agents Signed what do the Colts do in the draft?/My hopes for the draft after free agency. (merge)

It would seem like wide receiver is where we currently have the biggest need. There is depth at the position in this draft. If we stand pat at #24, my guess is DeAndre Hopkins from Clemson. If we trade back into the early 2nd round, I would say Quinton Patton from Louisiana Tech. I would lean towards Buffalo taking Geno Smith in the first round. Arizona seems to be the most likely trade partner, although perhaps a team like the Jags feel they need to make a move. I would want a 2014 second and 2013 fifth.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Damontre Moore OLB/DE- Great player, could play opposite of Mathis and battle with Walden for that spot.

3. Tyrann Mathieu CB- Project as a mid 3rd round pick, i think we get good value here as hes a awesome play maker and could bring some energy to our veteran defense.

4. Robert Woods/ Marquess Wilson WR- If woods last this long great but if not Wilson would be perfect, He is big at 6-4 and still runs a 4.5 40. He had a weird ending to his college career but when he was on the field statistically he was one of the nations top receivers even with bad QB play. 

The rest of the draft should be camp bodies, i would like to see some lineman drafted to come and compete for spots. 

1. Damontre Moore OLB/DE- Great player, could play opposite of Mathis and battle with Walden for that spot.

3. Tyrann Mathieu CB- Project as a mid 3rd round pick, i think we get good value here as hes a awesome play maker and could bring some energy to our veteran defense.

4. Robert Woods/ Marquess Wilson WR- If woods last this long great but if not Wilson would be perfect, He is big at 6-4 and still runs a 4.5 40. He had a weird ending to his college career but when he was on the field statistically he was one of the nations top receivers even with bad QB play. 

The rest of the draft should be camp bodies, i would like to see some lineman drafted to come and compete for spots. 

I don't think there is any chance Woods makes it to the 4th round.

Jamie Collins

He's the perfect fit for the Colts new 34 D. Adding someone like Collins playmaking ability would instantly add credibility to the D.

Sylvester Williams DL

Colts need a big guy to clog the middle and create havoc for the OLB. If Williams pans out like I think he can then the D would be top 10.

Larry Warford OG

Warford is an animal and would be a great fit for the Colts man blocking scheme. I actually prefer Warford over Warmack and Cooper too.

If Colts choose any of these guys I will be happy

If we trade down into the 2nd round,  I think we'll have a shot at all three.    But, of those three, I think Williams has the best chance of being taken in the 1st round.

At least,  that's my view of things as of mid-March.

Honestly? another thread about using our 1st pick on a WR.

Did we learn nothing from the Polian era??

Given the fact that we currently only have Reggie + two players each with only one year of experience (T.Y., and Brazil), it would make sense to bring in a top talent, if available.

Besides I doubt the Falcons are sorry that they picked Julio Jones, nor are the Bengals sorry that they picked AJ Green or the Giants for picking Hakeem Nicks in the first round.

It would make a lot more sense, than to bring in a CB in the first round, in my opinion.

If one of the top Guards (Cooper/Warmack) should somehow fall to us, I would grab them over a WR though. But that isn't a very likely scenario.

Would trade back as there are a few teams looking to get back into the last 10 picks of 1st round to draft a QB.

With that said

2. Larry Warford OG

3. Phillip Thomas, Saftey

3. Tharold Simon CB

4. Kenny Stills, WR

6. Rod Sweeting, CB

7. Athony McCloud, NT

UDFA: Rex Burkhead, RB

I'm going to have to take some time to chew over the draft now.  With Francois and tentative word that Walden and Sidbury are both expected to play OLB (see official roster), I'm thinking that the DL and LB corps are basically finished and ready for TC.  We're looking fairly replete with CBs and Safeties (though I could see some mid-rounds to round out those corps too).  But the OL depth is still horrible (and a starter or two could be upgraded), so the draft should focus on the OL.  And, after Wayne, Hilton, and Brazill, the WRs are pretty weak.  But I don't see any other big needs on O.  The main problem is that there are no good interior OL prospects left for us at #24.  So, assuming no trades, I'd probably go:

1) DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson.

3) Brian Winter, OL, Kent St.

4) Xavier Nixon, OT, Florida

6) Rod Sweeting, CB, Georgia Tech

7) Emmett Cleary, OT, Boston College

But, if we trade down and pick up, say, an early 4th rounder and a pick for next year, I'd go:

2) Barrett Jones, OL, Alabama (new starting center or guard)

3) Tavarres King, WR, Georgia

4) B.W. Webb, CB, William and Mary

4) Xavier Nixon, OT, Florida

6) Earl Wolff, S, North Carolina State

7) Emmett Cleary, OT, Boston College

Given the fact that we currently only have Reggie + two players each with only one year of experience (T.Y., and Brazil), it would make sense to bring in a top talent, if available.

Besides I doubt the Falcons are sorry that they picked Julio Jones, nor are the Bengals sorry that they picked AJ Green or the Giants for picking Hakeem Nicks in the first round.

It would make a lot more sense, than to bring in a CB in the first round, in my opinion.

If one of the top Guards (Cooper/Warmack) should somehow fall to us, I would grab them over a WR though. But that isn't a very likely scenario.

Not sure you can call all 1st round recievers either Nicks, Jones or Green.

Just saying it is no where near our biggest need.

I find it strange how Allen and Patterson are ranked above robert Woods. If the draft was held after week 3 of College Football, Woods would be a first round pick. I'd imagine Somebody still picks Woods in the first round. Everyone couldn't have lost their minds. Same goes for Matt Barkely.

If you want to point  a finger at their production woes, one would only need to look towards Lane Kiffen or Lame Kiffen as I like to call him, who ran Woods AND Marques Lee on slant routes about 60% of the time. The offence was incredulously predictable.

Not sure you can call all 1st round recievers either Nicks, Jones or Green.

Just saying it is no where near our biggest need.

Obviously not all 1st round recievers are at their level, or will ever be. I was simply pointing out that there's nothing wrong with spending a first round pick on a WR, if you believe that there are elite-level talent available. Exceptional and elite players that can really make the difference, are ALWAYS worth a first round pick, no matter what position they might play.

Last season we started with Reggie, Collie, Avery, T.Y. & Brazil. Now Collie and Avery is gone.. It should be obvious that we'll need at least one other WR. We might not pick him in the first round, but I'll put good money on us picking at least one.

1st. round will be either a Guard, an OLB or a WR, depending on what happens ahead of us. Not entirely sure that the Guards outside Cooper/Warmack are worth a first round pick though..

Absolutely nothing as yet SuperJoe 33!  We are only 24 hours and 50 minutes into FA.  Why do fans think it is all the first three hours?

43 days until the draft....more players will be cut like Bernard Pollard....has Cary Williams signed?  Barwin?  Vollmer?  Cason?  Gohlston?  there is some serious 'stuff' to still be done.....

I feel we have a couple of surprises coming....may be from Raven land....I think Landry is going to sighn out West with SF...I may be wrong.

I am looking forward to the draft...but way too soon...more FA to come!!!   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:  :pass:  :pass:  :pass:

You was wrong 

IMO here is new draft scenario after recent FA pick ups:

1) DT draft to replace Cory Redding am liking Kawann Short with Grigson's Purdue ties

3) OLB Sean Porter to replace Mathis

4) G Alvin Bailey moved to LG

6) QB Sean Renfree due to his coaching background with the Mannings and Luck's comparison

7) WR Brandon Kaufman a tall target with upside from a smaller school with speed and skills

Hopefully Sean Porter will be available in the 3rd for us he's projected at the WILL position. May be a stretch with more teams moving to a 3/4 this year. A year under Mathis would be good. Think we have Mathis signed til 2015. If Porter works out better than expected could try trading Mathis mid year to a team struggling for an extra draft pick.

Hopefully Sean Porter will be available in the 3rd for us he's projected at the WILL position. May be a stretch with more teams moving to a 3/4 this year. A year under Mathis would be good. Think we have Mathis signed til 2015. If Porter works out better than expected could try trading Mathis mid year to a team struggling for an extra draft pick.

Porter will not play outside in a 34...I doubt it anyway

The #1 remaining need is to add OL depth IMHO.  Our starters are a pretty good unit now, but we don't have a single bit of quality depth under contract right now.  Sure, we may have some low-level possibilities on the interior of the line (Justin Anderson and Ijalana), but we definitely need to add someone who can come in and start in the event of an injury.  And at OT, we've basically got no notable back-ups signed with the exception of Linkenbach (ugh!).  Hopefully we'll get Justice back or sign some other low level FA to add that OT depth. 

If Ijalana can recover (big if) he can be a back up at either tackle position.  If not, then we need to add some depth there.  Having no quality at back up for Costonzo is a big worry.