Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher Report Predicting Free Agent Signings

Here they are predicting our free agent signings (not counting our own free agents)

Paul Kruger 4 yr/$40 mil

Jake Long 4 yr/$28 mil (also draft OG Kyle Long)

Louis Vasquez 6 yr/$60 mil

Antoine Cason 4 yr/ $20 mil

Dashon Gholston 4 yr/ $28 mil

Jason Campbell 2 yr/$1.8 mil

some of these contracts would have to be back end heavy contracts like Flacco's to make it more cap friendly, where flacco is only a $6mil cap hit this year and a $29 mil cap hit in his last year. I personally dont like the Kruger and Gholston signings

Sorry,  but this is why BR has the reputation that it does.

Grigson has publicly said he won't chase 'names'....   and BR has us chasing 6 names, with mostly way-off contracts.

-- Kruger is hoping for 8 Mill a year, and BR says we'll give him 10.

-- Long wants $11 and BR thinks we'll get him for 7.

-- The highest paid guard in football doesn't make 10 mill per year,  but we're going to end that by giving Vazquez 10 mill for 6 years?!?

-- Cason gets $5 Mill per year

-- Goldson gets $7 Mill per year...

-- And Jason Campbell, oddly gets just $800k per year.

I think the closest thing they've got to being near right is the Goldson deal.   And I think he might just re-sign with the 49ers.

This isn't worth the internet ink it's printed on....    Blech!!

Sorry, Htown, I'm not blaming you....   but BR often makes my blood boil and this is one of those times....

Sorry,  but this is why BR has the reputation that it does.

Grigson has publicly said he won't chase 'names'....   and BR has us chasing 6 names, with mostly way-off contracts.

-- Kruger is hoping for 8 Mill a year, and BR says we'll give him 10.

-- Long wants $11 and BR thinks we'll get him for 7.

-- The highest paid guard in football doesn't make 10 mill per year,  but we're going to end that by giving Vazquez 10 mill for 6 years?!?

-- Cason gets $5 Mill per year

-- Goldson gets $7 Mill per year...

-- And Jason Campbell, oddly gets just $800k per year.

I think the closest thing they've got to being near right is the Goldson deal.   And I think he might just re-sign with the 49ers.

This isn't worth the internet ink it's printed on....    Blech!!

Sorry, Htown, I'm not blaming you....   but BR often makes my blood boil and this is one of those times....

Carl Nicks contract originally was a 5yr 47.5mil contract 31mil guaranteed which is 9.5 a year, and was scheduled to be a 12.5mil cap hit in 2013 but he reconstructured his deal in Dec. so he pretty much set the bar for top guards entering free agency.

According to Rotoworld, Miami is only offering 6-7mil per for Jake Long which I would guess he would get 8-8.75mil in the open market.

Personally I dont want Kruger, if im spending money on a OLB I want a every down OLB in Barwin.

and you can structure contracts to where the cap hits per year would benefit the team instead of having the cap hit evenly dispersed throughout the contract like your going off of.

I dont know what the market is for Cason.

And Grigson did say he wouldn't chase names, but he would chase talent and it feels good to know if there is a guy he really wants that he knows he has the money to make a run for him. so its not really that far off as you would think.

thats what these front office people are doing now, they lure you in with this overall big contract that has small cap hits in the early years and the ask you to restructure your deal when your big cap hit numbers come up, if you refuse they end up releasing you before your huge cap hit. ex. Vincent Jackson,Carl Nicks, Dunta Robinson, Flacco the list goes on

Carl Nicksoriginally was a 5yr 47.5mil contract 31mil guaranteed which is 9.5 a year, and was scheduled to be a 12.5mil cap hit in 2013 but he reconstructured his deal in Dec. so he pretty much set the bar for top guards entering free agency.

Miami is only offering 6-7mil per for Jake Long which I would guess he would get 8-8.75mil in the open market.

Personally I dont want Kruger, if im spending money on a OLB I want a every down OLB in Barwin.

and you can structure contracts to where the cap hits per year would benefit the team instead of having the cap hit evenly dispersed throughout the contract like your going off of.

I dont know what the market is for Cason.

And Grigson did say he wouldn't chase names, but he would chase talent and it feels good to know if there is a guy he really wants that he knows he has the money to make a run for him.

Carl Nicks could get that kind of money, because he was the best guard in all of Pro Football when he was a FA.

Vazquez is very good,  but he's not close to being the best guard in football.   It's not even clear he's the best guard in this FA class.   There's an argument for Levitre from Buffalo.

You want Barwin over Kruger because Barwin is an every down OLB.   Since when is Kruger not an every down OLB??   I didn't get that memo...

Long is a name.   His performance and health status has not been good for two years in a row now.   Doesn't mean he can't be good again,  but the odds are not likely in his favor,  especially over a span of years.

I understand moving money around in contracts....  but I don't think Grigson wants to play that game.   He doesn't want us in Salary Cap difficulty as we were last year.

But,  for me at least,  this BR story makes no sense.    We can't even afford all the players with all the contracts they have us signing.    We'd have trouble signing all the reset of the roster that we need. 

It's nonsense.....     that's what I often think about BR stories.....

Carl Nicks could get that kind of money, because he was the best guard in all of Pro Football when he was a FA.

Vazquez is very good,  but he's not close to being the best guard in football.   It's not even clear he's the best guard in this FA class.   There's an argument for Levitre from Buffalo.

You want Barwin over Kruger because Barwin is an every down OLB.   Since when is Kruger not an every down OLB??   I didn't get that memo...

Long is a name.   His performance and health status has not been good for two years in a row now.   Doesn't mean he can't be good again,  but the odds are not likely in his favor,  especially over a span of years.

I understand moving money around in contracts....  but I don't think Grigson wants to play that game.   He doesn't want us in Salary Cap difficulty as we were last year.

But,  for me at least,  this BR story makes no sense.    We can't even afford all the players with all the contracts they have us signing.    We'd have trouble signing all the reset of the roster that we need. 

It's nonsense.....     that's what I often think about BR stories.....

Kruger was a situational pass rusher, Upshaw started every game in the playoffs including the super bowl(probably started more during the season but I didnt watch them during the regular season for the most part), Kruger been a situational pass rusher his whole career. Barwin never comes off the field playing 2,006 snaps over the last two years 2nd most of any other OLB in the league

Flacco isn't the best QB but look at his contract, previous players at a position sets the market value for future free agent players at that position

There aren't too many players at his position better than Jake Long even with two mediocre years. He is more than just a name

thats all MIami is offering him is 6-7mil per rotoworld so I say he gets 8-8.75 in the open market, I dont want Kruger either

what ive heard is he wants 11 mil a year. i doubt any team will give him that. he'll be lucky to get 9 mil a year

what ive heard is he wants 11 mil a year. i doubt any team will give him that. he'll be lucky to get 9 mil a year

thats what Im saying, thats why Miami is letting him test free agency since he thinks he is getting a laughable 11 mil. He great but he isn't Joe Thomas

thats what Im saying, thats why Miami is letting him test free agency since he thinks he is getting a laughable 11 mil. He great but he isn't Joe Thomas

if we could get long for 7 mil im all for it. we would have our tackle tandem for years. ill only go as far as 8.5-9 nothing more

For what it's worth, Pro Football Focus has a series of FA categories...

Under edge defenders,  of the top 10 pass rushers, the player with the most snaps is Kruger.

And while his write-up raises other red flags for me,  he's a very good pass rusher.   I appreciate you'd prefer Barwin.   You say he's a better all around OLB.   Fine.

But if we replace the Freeney spot with someone who is not a great pass rusher,  then where do we get pressure from?   Just Mathis?    Mathis and Hughes?    I don't think that's enough.    And we're not getting much pressure at all from our front 3....

We need to pressure the QB.   And in the 3-4, OLB is a premium spot to rush the quarterback.

Just my two cents....   (and often not even worth that much!)

For what it's worth, Pro Football Focus has a series of FA categories...

Under edge defenders,  of the top 10 pass rushers, the player with the most snaps is Kruger.

And while his write-up raises other red flags for me,  he's a very good pass rusher.   I appreciate you'd prefer Barwin.   You say he's a better all around OLB.   Fine.

But if we replace the Freeney spot with someone who is not a great pass rusher,  then where do we get pressure from?   Just Mathis?    Mathis and Hughes?    I don't think that's enough.    And we're not getting much pressure at all from our front 3....

We need to pressure the QB.   And in the 3-4, OLB is a premium spot to rush the quarterback.

Just my two cents....   (and often not even worth that much!)

PFF has Kruger taking 806 snaps and Barwin with 1020 snaps, thats roughly 4 more games worth of snaps.Kruger is simply a situational pass rusher and I hope we dont pay the 10mil he wants for an OLB who cant play every down. Barwin has more sacks and pass defensed than Kruger in the last 3 years. and he wouldve had a couple more sacks this year if it wasnt for that JJ Watt guy beating him to the punch a couple times in games. and Barwin would come cheaper than the situational pass rusher in Kruger who couldn't even beat out Jarrett Johnson who was collecting avg. 2 sacks a year his last two years with Balt. Give me Barwin over Kruger

Here they are predicting our free agent signings (not counting our own free agents)

Paul Kruger 4 yr/$40 mil

Jake Long 4 yr/$28 mil (also draft OG Kyle Long)

Louis Vasquez 6 yr/$60 mil

Antoine Cason 4 yr/ $20 mil

Dashon Gholston 4 yr/ $28 mil

Jason Campbell 2 yr/$1.8 mil

some of these contracts would have to be back end heavy contracts like Flacco's to make it more cap friendly, where flacco is only a $6mil cap hit this year and a $29 mil cap hit in his last year. I personally dont like the Kruger and Gholston signings

That is just comically stupid. 10 mil a yr. for Kruger and Vasquez??? Why would we bring in Campbell??? Seriously, thats ridiculous, I would much rather take my chances with Harnish.

PFF has Kruger taking 806 snaps and Barwin with 1020 snaps, thats roughly 4 more games worth of snaps.Kruger is simply a situational pass rusher and I hope we dont pay the 10mil he wants for an OLB who cant play every down. Barwin has more sacks and pass defensed than Kruger in the last 3 years. and he wouldve had a couple more sacks this year if it wasnt for that JJ Watt guy beating him to the punch a couple times in games. and Barwin would come cheaper than the situational pass rusher in Kruger who couldn't even beat out Jarrett Johnson who was collecting avg. 2 sacks a year his last two years with Balt. Give me Barwin over Kruger

Interesting....    they have two different lists, with two different sets of numbers.     I found yours.   I had seen that in the past.

Here's a newer one...   on it, they show Kruger with more than 1,050 snaps.    Don't know what changed, or even if it's right?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/19/ranking-the-2013-free-agents-edge-defenders/

That said....   the list you cited,  shows Barwin as the 4th lowest rated OLB.    Not the best argument for signing him....

Tha

That is just comically stupid. 10 mil a yr. for Kruger and Vasquez??? Why would we bring in Campbell??? Seriously, thats ridiculous, I would much rather take my chances with Harnish.

why would you want somebody with no experience in Harnish backing up Luck? we need to bring in some veteran to back up Luck

why would you want somebody with no experience in Harnish backing up Luck? we need to bring in some veteran to back up Luck

Um, no we don't....and Jason Campbell absolutely sucks. There's a reason why no team will give him a shot, he's terrible. Harnish was drafted last season to be Luck's future backup. He spent a yr. either on the bench or on the PS learning what he needs to do. The Colts knew they were only renting Stanton for 1 yr. and they prepared by drafting Harnish.

Interesting....    they have two different lists, with two different sets of numbers.     I found yours.   I had seen that in the past.

Here's a newer one...   on it, they show Kruger with more than 1,050 snaps.    Don't know what changed, or even if it's right?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/19/ranking-the-2013-free-agents-edge-defenders/

That said....   the list you cited,  shows Barwin as the 4th lowest rated OLB.    Not the best argument for signing him....

yea I know thats where he rated at this year. but his production since entering the league is better than Kruger, Kruger isn't even a starter on his own team he is even backing up Suggs on the Ravens.com depth chart with Suggs and Upshaw starting. I just dont want to spend that kind of money that Kruger is asking for on a situational pass rusher when I can get a every down OLB with more production since he been in the league for cheaper in Barwin. Kruger is simply riding this SB title thing to get vastly overpaid with little production over his career

Um, no we don't....and Jason Campbell absolutely sucks. There's a reason why no team will give him a shot, he's terrible. Harnish was drafted last season to be Luck's future backup. He spent a yr. either on the bench or on the PS learning what he needs to do. The Colts knew they were only renting Stanton for a 1 yr. and they prepared by drafting Harnish.

yea that philosophy really worked for Curtis Painter. Harnish is Mr. Irrelevant. we need a veteran backup I dont care who it is but we need one

yea that philosophy really worked for Curtis Painter. Harnish is Mr. Irrelevant. we need a veteran backup I dont care who it is but we need one

I still think Harnish will be fine and I'm sure we'll bring in another guy to compete for the backup position, but I hope to God it's not Campbell. He is trash.

I still think Harnish will be fine and I'm sure we'll bring in another guy to compete for the backup position, but I hope to God it's not Campbell. He is trash.

only backup QB worth bringing in are Chase Daniel, man looking at that free agent qb list there isnt any quality backup qb except for Stanton lol

Kruger was a situational pass rusher, Upshaw started every game in the playoffs including the super bowl(probably started more during the season but I didnt watch them during the regular season for the most part), Kruger been a situational pass rusher his whole career. Barwin never comes off the field playing 2,006 snaps over the last two years 2nd most of any other OLB in the league

Flacco isn't the best QB but look at his contract, previous players at a position sets the market value for future free agent players at that position

There aren't too many players at his position better than Jake Long even with two mediocre years. He is more than just a name

As a "Situational" pass rusher, Kruger was in for over 800 plays this season.

I`m would suggest in the season before this one (2011), in Suggs Defensive Player of the Year season, Suggs came out of the Lineup in pass rushing situations, well, not much. haha!

And Jarrett Johnson, the very talented OLB also playing ahead of Kruger in 2011, who played in all 16 games, played a lot too.

Like you say tho, he did have 5.5 sacks in that season as a PRS, and that would be more than the GREAT Freeney had this season.

"I’m not going to sugar-coat it: this was a bad season for Barwin. His -18.9 grade was the third-worst of any 3-4 outside linebacker. His 4.0 Run Stop Percentage and 5.8 Pass Rushing Productivity were both among the worst marks at his position. Some PFF readers may have seen this coming too, as Barwin earned a -4.6 grade "last season" despite notching 12 sacks. Often getting looped into the accolades of more accomplished teammates like Watt and Brian Cushing, you could say that Barwin is one of the most overrated defenders in the NFL."

As a "Situational" pass rusher, Kruger was in for over 800 plays this season.

I`m would suggest in the season before this one (2011), in Suggs Defensive Player of the Year season, Suggs came out of the Lineup in pass rushing situations, well, not much. haha!

And Jarrett Johnson, the very talented OLB also playing ahead of Kruger in 2011, who played in all 16 games, played a lot too.

Like you say tho, he did have 5.5 sacks in that season as a PRS, and that would be more than the GREAT Freeney had this season.

"I’m not going to sugar-coat it: this was a bad season for Barwin. His -18.9 grade was the third-worst of any 3-4 outside linebacker. His 4.0 Run Stop Percentage and 5.8 Pass Rushing Productivity were both among the worst marks at his position. Some PFF readers may have seen this coming too, as Barwin earned a -4.6 grade "last season" despite notching 12 sacks. Often getting looped into the accolades of more accomplished teammates like Watt and Brian Cushing, you could say that Barwin is one of the most overrated defenders in the NFL."

already established.

Kruger was almost invisible for the first 7 weeks while Suggs was gone and seen his numbers increase when Suggs returned, all but 1.5 of his sacks came after Suggs returned.

this is week 5 vs the chiefs he did well as a situational pass rusher but thats exactly what he is a situational pass rusher:

"He put together the type of game he looked capable of in limited duty last season, but had yet to show in an increased role this year. Despite seeing just 10 snaps as a pass rusher due to the Chiefs’ run-heavy offensive game plan, the Ravens’ outside linebacker was able to register a hit and four hurries, giving him a Pass Rushing Productivity (PRP) Rating of 30.0"-PFF

he only had 10 snaps as a pass rusher in this game. thats simply all he is, his grade is so high because he does well in the limited times he does rush the passer

week 6

"He managed to not record a single pressure in the game, despite rushing 28 times against a Cowboys line that hadn’t been exactly stellar to this point in the season in that regard. Perhaps the biggest issue for Kruger is that the Cowboys didn’t even feel the need to block him with an offensive lineman, and regularly left him to be handled by Jason Witten or John Phillips." -PFF

overall

"his pass rushing seems to come in bunches as opposed to a consistent level, with him registering three or less total pressures in eight regular season games. On top of that, there was little to Kruger’s game beyond his pass rushing skills. Take away the game against Kansas City, where he played well against the run, and you’re left with a player who very occasionally flashed a big play to blow up a run for a loss, without being a consistent all-around player. He wasn’t necessarily punished for it every time, but Kruger was guilty of losing contain far too often in the running game in 2012.-PFF

"His two best grades of the season came in games when he played in 48.8% and 55.9% of Baltimore’s defensive snaps."-PFF

everything about Kruger screams situational pass rusher, when we need a everydown OLB. and for the price Kruger wants for being a situational pass rusher, ill rather go with Barwin which his production over the years trumps Krugers

Kruger, who has posted 9 sacks, 12 quarterback hits and 33 hurries in 2012 according to Pro Football Focus

In his breakout 2011, Barwin recorded 28 QB hits and 11 sacks. In a seemingly disappointing 2012, Barwin still managed to hit the quarterback 17 times.Barwin also recorded 12 tackles for a loss in 2012 according to Pro Football Focus