Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DE Fili Moala re-sign

Marcio James

Through his first couple seasons I thought Moala stunk.

Then last year he started to come on, and looked pretty good.

Then he got hurt.

So I am happy they resigned him, perhaps Fili needed a few years to develop?

Provided the price tag was not too high, he could benefit our defense.

I Agree, 2 tackles in 9 games is OK enough.

I`m searching for that list of others like J.J. Watt. :)

Well comparing Watt to Moala isn't exactly fair because they play different styles of 3-4 defense.  Houston plays a 1-gap scheme whereas the Colts play a 2-gap scheme.  In a 1-gap scheme the DL are lighter, faster and better at penetrating into the backfield whereas in a 2-gap the DL is bigger, stronger and built to occupy as many blockers as possible to keep the LB's clean.  Therefore in a defensive scheme like Houston's, the DL is naturally going to have more tackles and sacks than the DL in a 2-gap scheme.  If you want to compare Moala's stats then compare them to DE's of other teams that run a 2-gap 3-4 like Pittsburgh and Baltimore.  

When healthy, he's a pretty good player. He had a solid year transitioning to a 3 tech.

If he comes back and proves that his knee his fine, I would think the Colts give him another deal. If the knee is affecting his play, or he's not playing at all because of it, he'll be gone.

It's going to be tough for him, because he'll (95% sure) miss training camp and probably most of the preseason.

Well comparing Watt to Moala isn't exactly fair because they play different styles of 3-4 defense.  Houston plays a 1-gap scheme whereas the Colts play a 2-gap scheme.  In a 1-gap scheme the DL are lighter, faster and better at penetrating into the backfield whereas in a 2-gap the DL is bigger, stronger and built to occupy as many blockers as possible to keep the LB's clean.  Therefore in a defensive scheme like Houston's, the DL is naturally going to have more tackles and sacks than the DL in a 2-gap scheme.  If you want to compare Moala's stats then compare them to DE's of other teams that run a 2-gap 3-4 like Pittsburgh and Baltimore.  

That's a very good point.

But even more than that, it's kind of difficult to compare Moala to probably the best defender in the league right now. He's not JJ Watt, unfortunately for him and for us.

That's a very good point.

But even more than that, it's kind of difficult to compare Moala to probably the best defender in the league right now. He's not JJ Watt, unfortunately for him and for us.

yeah, that's a very good point too.  That'd be like comparing Donald Brown to Adrian Peterson....sure we can do it but it's kind of pointless because there's just a tad bit of difference in talent there. lol