Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think Xavier Rhodes will fall to us at 24?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

and if we sign two guards and a tackle in free agency does it still have to be linemen?  I would argue that you have then addressed the position without having to use a pick on it and I could easily see the Colts doing that. 

And since we have a ton of cap space, it makes sense to address your needs in free agency and then draft according to your board, not according to your need.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to say that I agree with your post and that I think signing Nnamdi is a huge, gigantic, enormously, bad idea. I know it's not your idea but I have seen it mentioned by others too. Nnamdi IMO has lost it, I don't care how good he "used" to be or that he played in a system that "supposedly" didn't fit his talents(which I do not buy BTW). IMO, if we sign a FA CB, there are better options available. Much better!

I'm not as bearish on Nnamdi as you are; I don't think he's lost it, and I think that in a man-heavy scheme he's still a top ten corner. I could be wrong, but I think he's become the face of a severe mismanagement by Eagles management over the past three or four years.

But that's a big ticket item. I don't think we should sign him, given the cost. We can address that position much more economically.

I don't understand the either/or mentality here, to be honest. Whatever order the list of needs is in, I think for sure cornerback is there.

Ehhh, I think you're intentionally being obtuse. You understand. You may not agree with it. But you understand. The rub is that you assert Cornerback is a more important need than OLB & Dline. And it simply is not.

I have not asserted that you must address all other needs to the exclusion of the Cornerback position. I have simply stated the fact that Cornerback is not the priority.

That doesn't mean that I or anyone else thinks that the defense is built from the cornerback in.

Speak for yourself. Another poster in this thread stated that our priority is getting a Cornerback that will allow our pass rushers enough time to get to the Quarterback. *Fail When you don't have the horses to get to the QB, that is building a Defense from the Cornerback in.

It doesn't mean drafting and/or signing a corner (or three) to the exclusion of the rest of our needs.

A false flag. I have not asserted that you are saying any such thing.

Seems like you think the team should avoid drafting a cornerback...

If it seems that way, it is because you're not reading my posts.

...specifically because you feel like other needs are more important.

Again, drafting Dwight Freeney's replacement IS more important than drafting Cassius Vaughn's.

...f cornerback is what the board is pointing toward, shouldn't we take a cornerback at #24?

If EVERY OL graded higher than whatever imaginary Cornerback is there...if EVERY OLB graded higher than whatever imaginary Cornerback is there...if EVERY NT graded higher than whatever imaginary Cornerback is there...if EVERY DE graded higher than whatever imaginary Cornerback is there then well and good, let's get the CB.

I'm sorry, we simply have bigger needs.

It's also interesting that you have cornerback so low on the list of needs, but you're in favor of signing someone like Nnamdi Asomugha.

Not really. Asomugha is coming off of a bad stint in Philly where he has been used incorrectly. He is a very good fit for our Defense. And could come at a reasonable price.

I'm not as bearish on Nnamdi as you are; I don't think he's lost it, and I think that in a man-heavy scheme he's still a top ten corner. I could be wrong, but I think he's become the face of a severe mismanagement by Eagles management over the past three or four years.

But that's a big ticket item. I don't think we should sign him, given the cost. We can address that position much more economically.

You could be right, but when I seen Nnamdi play the last 2 yrs, I saw a guy that was absolutely lost and never improved at all. IMO, if you are supremely talented as many seem to think Nnamdi is, then he should have showed improvement in a 2 yr. time span. Plus there was a story somewhere last week that Nnamdi was an outcast in Philly, he wouldn't have anything to do with his teammates or the coaching staff. That tells me something about him...and it's nothing good. Even if you suck in the scheme they have you in...suck it up and at least try to improve. Apparently Nnamdi was too good for that though.

I was responding to Mark who said we HAVE to use that pick on lineman.  All I did was present him with a situation where we might not have too and where taking a guy like a CB becomes a real possibility. 

I get it. And if we do go out and address our bigger needs via Free Agency, then cool. But this thread originated with the notion of a Cornerback falling to us at the 24. And many of the responses are based on that scenario. That's all I meant. :)  

It's not that simple, Superman. The Colts won't fill all their needs in FA.

....and why is that? Sure, they probably can't fill every need they have, but free agency is for filling needs and the draft is for getting future potential. That is the way it has always worked for teams that know what they are doing.

I get it. And if we do go out and address our bigger needs via Free Agency, then cool. But this thread originated with the notion of a Cornerback falling to us at the 24. And many of the responses are based on that scenario. That's all I meant. :)

Right, which I think as you can see from my other responses in this thread I have been talking about that.  The one you jumped on me for was just a response to someone else who was saying we had to use the pick to take a lineman.  It's not like I just threw it out there out of no where. 

"...I think signing Nnamdi is a huge, gigantic, enormously, bad idea. I know it's not your idea but I have seen it mentioned by others too. Nnamdi IMO has lost it, I don't care how good he "used" to be or that he played in a system that "supposedly" didn't fit his talents(which I do not buy BTW)."

???

Asomugha was used incorrectly in a scheme that had him playing multiple zones. He is not suited to it (obviously). But if you put him back into a scheme that has it's Cornerbacks predominently in Man coverage (like the one he played in with the Raiders) and he will do very well (obviously).

Listen, I get it. He was getting Man raped in Philly. My girlfriend is a Philly fan, So I was at Bdubs having to watch that nonsense all season. But the Philly Defense as a whole was a joke....and borderline gimmick how they were attempting to use their personnel. Asomugha is still top shelf talent. And we may have an opportunity to get him at a price (and into the right system) that was unthinkable when he was leaving Oakland. That's all I'm saying. :)

Right, which I think as you can see from my other responses in this thread I have been talking about that.  The one you jumped on me for was just a response to someone else who was saying we had to use the pick to take a lineman.  It's not like I just threw it out there out of no where. 

I did not "jump" on you. I'm just naturally direct. ;)

Edited by Nadine
personal shot

???

Asomugha was used incorrectly in a scheme that had him playing multiple zones. He is not suited to it (obviously). But if you put him back into a scheme that has it's Cornerbacks predominently in Man coverage (like the one he played in with the Raiders) and he will do very well (obviously).

Listen, I get it. He was getting Man raped in Philly. My girlfriend is a Philly fan, So I was at Bdubs having to watch that nonsense all season. But the Philly Defense as a whole was a joke....and borderline gimmick how they were attempting to use their personnel. Asomugha is still top shelf talent. And we may have an opportunity to get him at a price (and into the right system) that was unthinkable when he was leaving Oakland. That's all I'm saying. :)

I guess I would be open to it, If he would sign a 1 yr. tryout contract for us. Just my opinion that he has something to prove now and I would need to see it again before I would invest big money in him. 

It's not that simple, Superman. The Colts won't fill all their needs in FA.

....and why is that? Sure, they probably can't fill every need they have, but free agency is for filling needs and the draft is for getting future potential. That is the way it has always worked for teams that know what they are doing.

Honestly, I hope Grigson leaves some money in the til. Never too soon to start piling up the cash that will be necessary to resign Andrew Luck.

I guess I would be open to it, If he would sign a 1 yr. tryout contract for us. Just my opinion that he has something to prove now and I would need to see it again before I would invest big money in him. 

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't break the bank for HIM. The business is what it is...and fair or not, he took a perception step or two back with his stint in Philly.

Honestly, I hope Grigson leaves some money in the til. Never too soon to start piling up the cash that will be necessary to resign Andrew Luck.

I agree, as long as we don't leave 10+ mil. in the tank. I keep hearing that the cap is going to go way up by 2015, which just so happens to coincide with when we'll need to start talking extension with Luck.

Yeah, I agree. If he and his agent attempt to ignore his Philly performance and stick it to other teams trying to sign him then I don't want him. BUT if he is smart, he will want to play for Pagano and in this Defense...and he cannot ask for top shelf money. Not right now.  

Balzer, since we have a lot of needs the BPA probably will be a need so the Colts are gonna draft to fill needs lol

Thats very true. I was just saying that free agency is for filling holes on the roster and the draft is typically used to bring in guys that have potential. The draft is always a crap shoot because you never know what you're truly getting, even 1st rders.. At least with free agency, you usually know what a guy brings to the table.

Ehhh, I think you're intentionally being obtuse. You understand. You may not agree with it. But you understand. The rub is that you assert Cornerback is a more important need than OLB & Dline. And it simply is not.

I have not asserted that you must address all other needs to the exclusion of the Cornerback position. I have simply stated the fact that Cornerback is not the priority.

No, it's like I said, it doesn't matter which need is more important. Our needs should be addressed in free agency, to whatever extent is reasonable. Not the draft. When the draft starts, our needs -- whatever they are, and in whatever order they fall -- should not be a significant consideration.

And considering how Grigson drafted last year, and then how he defended his draft strategy, I expect that to be the case this year.

Speak for yourself. Another poster in this thread stated that our priority is getting a Cornerback that will allow our pass rushers enough time to get to the Quarterback. *Fail When you don't have the horses to get to the QB, that is building a Defense from the Cornerback in.

Fine, I'll speak for myself, and maybe you can stop projecting the viewpoints of others onto me. I'm not ignoring the other needs the team has. I'm simply including cornerback on the list. And higher than you are.

I will say that it's humorous to me that you consider your order of needs as absolute, unimpeachable fact.

A false flag. I have not asserted that you are saying any such thing.

Did I misunderstand this? http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/15917-do-you-think-xavier-rhodes-will-fall-to-us-at-24/?p=425164

It just isn't. Nobody builds a Defense from the Cornerbacks in. And focusing on the Cornerbacks to the exclusion of Dline & LBs (be it on draft day or Free Agency) gives the impression that some Cornerbackites would.

We can draft a corner in the first round without prioritizing the position above any other position of need. I don't think we should exclude any position aside from quarterback, and later on, punter. To me, whoever we draft in the first round isn't necessarily a reflection of roster need.

If it seems that way, it is because you're not reading my posts.

Allow me to qualify: Seems like you think the team should avoid drafting a cornerback in the first round.

Again, drafting Dwight Freeney's replacement IS more important than drafting Cassius Vaughn's.

You're ignoring the main point: Even if you value a pass rusher more than a corner (which isn't unreasonable, by the way), I don't think the front office intends to draft based on need. We have a ton of cap space, and we'll hopefully be able to sign a pass rusher in free agency well before the draft.

So I would say that, given your needs hierarchy, replacing Freeney is more important than replacing Vaughn. But I don't think that's pertinent to the draft. I expect us to replace (even upgrade) Freeney's position in free agency.

f EVERY OL graded higher than whatever imaginary Cornerback is there...if EVERY OLB graded higher than whatever imaginary Cornerback is there...if EVERY NT graded higher than whatever imaginary Cornerback is there...if EVERY DE graded higher than whatever imaginary Cornerback is there then well and good, let's get the CB.

I'm sorry, we simply have bigger needs.

Do you mean graded lower? If every player at those other positions is graded lower than the best cornerback on the board, then you're in favor of taking the cornerback?

It doesn't really matter; that's what I expect the team to do, is take the highest rated player on their board, regardless of position (quarterback being the exception). I expect them to address their biggest needs in free agency.

Not really. Asomugha is coming off of a bad stint in Philly where he has been used incorrectly. He is a very good fit for our Defense. And could come at a reasonable price.

So cornerback isn't a priority in your mind -- you have it behind offensive line, defensive line, pass rusher, and even safety -- but you would like to see us sign a cornerback in free agency? I think free agency is for your needs. Why would you, having prioritized your needs as you have, target a premium free agent at cornerback before targeting free agents at offensive line, defensive line, pass rusher and safety?

And if we do target and fill those needs in free agency, doesn't it free up Grigson to draft whomever he likes at #24, regardless of position?

That's what I'm saying: Regardless what our needs are, and regardless what order they're in, our draft picks -- particularly #24 -- should be whomever Grigson likes most. Your initial post, quoted below, suggests that you don't think we should draft a cornerback at #24, regardless. That's why I responded to you in the first place.

If we use our 1st round draft pick on a CB I will be very disappointed in Grigson/Pagano

If I'm being obtuse, I promise it's not on purpose. I'm just trying to communicate that I expect us to have filled our primary roster holes before the draft, especially this season with all the cap space we have. Need shouldn't be a consideration when we're on the clock. As such, if our first rounder is a cornerback, I'd be very okay with that.

If there's ever been a year in recent Colts history that we could address every need we have, it's this year. I don't expect us to go hog-wild in free agency, I don't expect us to take the Dream Team approach the Eagles tried, I don't expect us to go Daniel Snyder on the NFL.

But I expect a solid class of primary and secondary free agent signings before the draft. Not breaking the bank, not mortgaging the future, but sensible deals that fill the majority of our roster holes. And any needs remaining should probably be issues of depth, which are easier to address.

If there's ever been a year in recent Colts history that we could address every need we have, it's this year. I don't expect us to go hog-wild in free agency, I don't expect us to take the Dream Team approach the Eagles tried, I don't expect us to go Daniel Snyder on the NFL.

But I expect a solid class of primary and secondary free agent signings before the draft. Not breaking the bank, not mortgaging the future, but sensible deals that fill the majority of our roster holes. And any needs remaining should probably be issues of depth, which are easier to address.

This is exactly how I fell they will approach free agency. 

Yeah, I agree. If he and his agent attempt to ignore his Philly performance and stick it to other teams trying to sign him then I don't want him. BUT if he is smart, he will want to play for Pagano and in this Defense...and he cannot ask for top shelf money. Not right now.  

I think Cary Williams is slightly above average, and he's reportedly asking for $8-10m/year.

The question comes down to what you consider to be reasonable for Nnamdi. And then it's whether he considers that to be reasonable.

He'll be 32 in July (I thought he was younger, to be honest). If he's willing to do three years, <$25m, and doesn't want heavy guarantees, that would be acceptable in my mind. But I get the feeling his market will be higher than that, assuming he becomes a free agent at all.

I have not asserted that you must address all other needs to the exclusion of the Cornerback position.

haha I did not say that you did. I said that you assert Cornerback is a more important need than OLB & Dline.

No, it's like I said, it doesn't matter which need is more important. Our needs should be addressed in free agency

And I appreciate that, however that is not the premise of this thread: “Do you think Xavier Rhodes (CB) will fall to us at 24?”…and by extension should we draft him (A CB) there. I am addressing the original thread's premise without adding in the variable of us signing everything we need through Free Agency.

That addition has subsequently cropped up seemingly as another way to skin a cat: drafting a Cornerback with our first selection. If I have misunderstood, then forgive me. However, I do not think I have.

I’m not ignoring the other needs the team has. I'm simply including cornerback on the list. And higher than you are.

Well and good. But you are incorrect. Especially if you are willing to draft a CB in the first round on face value.

I will say that it's humorous to me that you consider your order of needs as absolute, unimpeachable fact.

Try not to worry about my style as much as the substance. There is NO WAY IN heck that Cassius Vaughn’s replacement is a bigger need than Dwight Freeney’s. That speaks for itself. And when people insist on highlighting everything but that, I begin to see them as unreasonable Cornerbackites.

Did I misunderstand this? http://forums.colts....at-24/?p=425164

I think so, that post was addressed to nobody in particular.

We can draft a corner in the first round without prioritizing the position above any other position of need.

That assumes the Cornerback talent at 24 will be better than the talent at our other positions of need. That is unlikely.

To me, whoever we draft in the first round isn't necessarily a reflection of roster need.

That’s fine. But that is what it is. Your perception and not an absolute, unimpeachable fact. ;)

Allow me to qualify: Seems like you think the team should avoid drafting a cornerback in the first round.

And that my friend is correct.

....to be continued...

....cont.

You're ignoring the main point: Even if you value a pass rusher more than a corner (which isn't unreasonable, by the way), I don't think the front office intends to draft based on need. We have a ton of cap space, and we'll hopefully be able to sign a pass rusher in free agency well before the draft…So I would say that, given your needs hierarchy, replacing Freeney is more important than replacing Vaughn. But I don't think that's pertinent to the draft. I expect us to replace (even upgrade) Freeney's position in free agency.

I’m not ignoring the main point as much as I’m not considering the unquantifiable variable of us signing other needs via Free Agency. We may well. And if so, cool. Like I said earlier, let’s go Cornerback. But I don’t see us signing two Offensive Linemen, a Defensive End, an Outside Linebacker and a Safety via Free Agency.

Do you mean graded lower?

No. 

It doesn't really matter; that's what I expect the team to do, is take the highest rated player on their board, regardless of position (quarterback being the exception). I expect them to address their biggest needs in free agency.

I understand.

So cornerback isn't a priority in your mind - you have it behind offensive line, defensive line, pass rusher, and even safety - but you would like to see us sign a cornerback in free agency?

Sure. We have a significant amount of money. This draft is full of Offensive and Defensive Line quality. Why not go and get a Cornerback in FA? Especially a quality/affordable one.

Why would you, having prioritized your needs as you have, target a premium free agent at cornerback.

??? Asomugha is not a Free Agent. Nor is he “premium”…or at least not in the minds of most observers. However, I think he could be a very big addition. And given Philly’s demand that he take a pay cut, he may well be an affordable one (relatively speaking). Because I do not see anybody given him the contract he and his agent probably think he deserves.

…if we do target and fill those needs in free agency, doesn't it free up Grigson to draft whomever he likes at #24, regardless of position?

LOL again this fixation (justification) with every other need being filled via Free Agency. Let it go.

I think the friction is coming from the fact that I am addressing the original thread's premise without adding in the variable of us signing everything we need through Free Agency.

Without the knowledge of knowing whether or not we will have all of our other more important needs addressed via Free Agency, then no, we should not draft a Cornerback with our first pick.

??? Asomugha is not a Free Agent. Nor is he “premium”…or at least not in the minds of most observers. However, I think he could be a very big addition. And given Philly’s demand that he take a pay cut, he may well be an affordable one (relatively speaking). Because I do not see anybody given him the contract he and his agent probably think he deserves.

He's not currently a free agent, but you wouldn't have brought him up if it weren't possible that he becomes one. Obviously, if he's not released, then he's not an option. Again, you brought him up, not me.

And you still don't address the question: Why would the front office sign someone like Nnamdi when we have bigger needs at other positions, particularly if we haven't filled those needs beforehand? Why wouldn't we fill the needs?

LOL again this fixation (justification) with every other need being filled via Free Agency. Let it go.

I think the friction is coming from the fact that I am addressing the original thread's premise without adding in the variable of us signing everything we need through Free Agency.

Again, why wouldn't we address our needs in free agency? What's laughable about a team with $40m+ in cap space targeting their areas of need in free agency?

The variable of us addressing our needs in free agency is necessarily built in, because free agency comes before the draft. If we're in late April and we have significant holes on our roster, it's a failure on the part of the front office to take advantage of free agency.

You've been very dogmatic, from your very first post. That's the root of the disagreement, even before I was labeled a Cornerbackite. You'll be disappointed if we draft a cornerback in the first round, bottom line. Perhaps you'd qualify that statement with "because I think we'll have bigger needs." I don't want to speak for you. But if there was ever an offseason where we could address our needs in free agency, it would be this one.

Well and good. But you are incorrect.

Try not to worry about my style as much as the substance.

I'm not worried about your style. But you certainly do hold your opinion in very high regard. Your perspective is fact; anyone who has a different perspective is "incorrect."

Like I said, it boils down to the presumption that Grigson isn't going to drafting based on need. To start with, he is on record saying that he doesn't believe in letting need unduly influence your drafting. Beyond that, we should be able to check our needs off before the draft.

Who Grigson drafts will be determined based upon how he has players rated. If he has a cornerback rated higher than a pass rusher, he'll take the cornerback. Again, this is based on his own comments about how he wants to draft. If he has two players at different positions rated similarly, he'd probably favor the one who plays a position the team is more in need of. But he won't forgo drafting a corner in the first round just because he doesn't consider the position to be as important as a pass rusher.

"He's not currently a free agent..."

I know, that’s what I said.

…you brought him up, not me.

???

And you still don't address the question: Why would the front office sign someone like Nnamdi when we have bigger needs at other positions, particularly if we haven't filled those needs beforehand? Why wouldn't we fill the needs?

I addressed it very well.

Again, why wouldn't we address our needs in free agency? What's laughable about a team with $40m+ in cap space targeting their areas of need in free agency?

Again, I addressed this.

You've been very dogmatic, from your very first post.

I’d urge you to get over it. My position is clear and I have (assuming that I was having a legitimate conversation) explained it two more times than was necessary. I’m not quite sure what has gotten your panties in a bunch but try and work that out.

I'm not worried about your style. But you certainly do hold your opinion in very high regard.

As opposed to you holding your opinions in very low regard? Anyway, the overwhelming majority of people here are operating on nothing but opinions (including you) and they too have courage in their convictions. And they too are respectful in conveying them believing that they are engaged in an honest exchange of opinions/ideas/perspectives. Apparently that is not the case here with you today (which is rare because you seem to be one of the level-headed users). Regardless, at this point you’re behavior is becoming boorish.

Let's agree to disagree. Good day sir.

6159233_std.jpg

I’d urge you to get over it.

I’m not quite sure what has gotten your panties in a bunch but try and work that out.

And they too are respectful in conveying them believing that they are engaged in an honest exchange of opinions/ideas/perspectives. Apparently that is not the case here with you today

But my behavior boorish...

Lol, why don't you care about the rest... That's where you find your value picks.

well. i guess i said that wrong. i do care about who the colts draft. but i dont follow college football at all so i dont know whos good and who isn't besides the 1st rounders.

I think our needs certainly should be considered in the draft as well as FA, for instance, Is player X who fits our scheme in the draft better then Player Y in FA, does player Y fit our scheme even he has shown he is a good player in other schemes? If  that best player is a FA but doesn't fit our scheme then who's to say he would be a better player? All on perspective, If a player fits our scheme in the draft and has been productive coming out of college and an FA who has been productive and is considered the better player but has not played in our scheme then I'd have to go with player X

It just isn't. Nobody builds a Defense from the Cornerbacks in. 

:)

Having good corners can lead to improvements in the pass d and run d.  In the pass, it can lead to coverage sacks, INT's, and 3rd and outs of the corners can cover and tackle.  In the run D, if the corners can tackle then that makes running to the outside harder.  No team builds their D around the corners but if you look at all the top defenses, they have good corners.  I don't think I've come across a good defense that had crappy corners.  Ravens were like that a few years back and it got them put out the playoffs.  Only position they really upgraded was the DB's and look what it got them.  This is a passing league, if you can't defend the pass then expect to lose.

AND sign a big name corner.

WOAH!  Who said anything about that?  I TOTALLY disagree with that.  Grimes is gone and the other corners are gonna come at a pretty penny. 

Then why this FIXATION with CBs when we are obviously lacking the personnel needed to man the positions that teams DO build their D around (mind you I am not even talking about the needs on the Oline)?

Because we feel that we can solidify this position very quickly and inexpensively.  Resign Powers for cheap, draft Rhodes.  That's it.  Not to speak like this is the only need that should be filled, but it's very obtainable.  We'll still have money and picks to do what we need.