Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2013 salary cap

Peytonparker

Is appareantly going to be around $124M, ($123.9m) according to Chris Mortensen

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Teams get more money to spend - salary cap for new league year is $123.9 million per team after accounting of league revenues, per sources.</p>— Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) <a href="https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/307276900395524096">February 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

we would have around 43 million. with that, we could get levitre, vasquez, spencer or kruger. then in the draft, its almost certain that we either get: Margus Hunt, Xavier Rhodes, Johnthan Banks. then.... we'll be holding the lombardi.

when i say when i mentioned the free agents, i meant we would either get spencer or kruger.

we would have around 43 million. with that, we could get levitre, vasquez, spencer or kruger. then in the draft, its almost certain that we either get: Margus Hunt, Xavier Rhodes, Johnthan Banks. then.... we'll be holding the lombardi.

*Margus Hunt, Xavier Rhodes, Desmond Trufant

Do we really need a 26 yr old rookie who plays too tall and is gonna get man handled by NFL tackles

Head says no heart says get the big Estonian so I can have little bit of generational ancestral national pride.

Back on topic, not a major suprise, helps teams over the cap than those under. Remember that just because the money is burning a hole we don't have to spend it all this year.

Head says no heart says get the big Estonian so I can have little bit of generational ancestral national pride.

Back on topic, not a major suprise, helps teams over the cap than those under. Remember that just because the money is burning a hole we don't have to spend it all this year.

Im not sure where I heard it but there is a minimum that teams HAVE to spend. They cannot be more than a certain # under the cap to begin the season. I don't want to go crazy and then be in cap jail in 2 years but I also think that this is a great time to add a couple of offensive linemen who are in their prime and can protect the franchise if you know what I mean? Its also nice to know that there are a few corners and safeties out there who can bring some playmaking ability to a secondary that sorely needs it.

If we don't add a couple of real solid players to that defense through FA and the draft I think you'll hear Manusky screaming from his office in downtown Indy and rightly so. No, I expect Grigson to spend some money and I look for it happen fairly quickly after midnight March 12. If you have the kind of $ we have to spend you go out and get the guys you want and you don't dicker a million here or there.

Here's another opinion of mine after all this Vontae Davis tweeting controversy. I have no doubt in my mind that NFL General Managers routinely talk to agents of players well before the start of FA. They know what a player is looking for in terms of a contract well ahead of March 12.

Im not sure where I heard it but there is a minimum that teams HAVE to spend. They cannot be more than a certain # under the cap to begin the season. I don't want to go crazy and then be in cap jail in 2 years but I also think that this is a great time to add a couple of offensive linemen who are in their prime and can protect the franchise if you know what I mean? Its also nice to know that there are a few corners and safeties out there who can bring some playmaking ability to a secondary that sorely needs it.

If we don't add a couple of real solid players to that defense through FA and the draft I think you'll hear Manusky screaming from his office in downtown Indy and rightly so. No, I expect Grigson to spend some money and I look for it happen fairly quickly after midnight March 12. If you have the kind of $ we have to spend you go out and get the guys you want and you don't dicker a million here or there.

Here's another opinion of mine after all this Vontae Davis tweeting controversy. I have no doubt in my mind that NFL General Managers routinely talk to agents of players well before the start of FA. They know what a player is looking for in terms of a contract well ahead of March 12.

My understanding is that there is a minimum spend but it's spread over the full term of the CBA. I may of course be 100 percent wrong!

My understanding is that there is a minimum spend but it's spread over the full term of the CBA. I may of course be 100 percent wrong!

No you're not. 89% of the cap has to be spent for seasons 2013 through 2016. Not each season.

Thanks for clarifying. So, my point is that with 43 or 44 million under the cap this year and no 2nd and 5th round picks and picking 24th in each round, I don't see the rookie pool counting a lot against our cap this year.

The Colts are being mentioned a lot with players like Vasquez, Ed Reed, Kruger, Cary Williams etc. All areas of need. Maybe its 100% speculation but I doubt it. I would be for bringing in all of those guys. Ed Reed is aging yes but he brings a ton of leadership and a championship mentality to a young team. I don't see a contract for him breaking the bank. They would probably throw 3 years at him and the $ would be fairly affordable and he'd love to rejoin Chuck and his old roommate Reggie.

Kruger might be the biggest contract of all of those guys and the one that I might be the most concerned with. Vasquez would be a wonderful pick up. We need a big man on the interior line who is a true power guard. I think all of this is within the realm of possibility.

Thanks for clarifying. So, my point is that with 43 or 44 million under the cap this year and no 2nd and 5th round picks and picking 24th in each round, I don't see the rookie pool counting a lot against our cap this year.

The Colts are being mentioned a lot with players like Vasquez, Ed Reed, Kruger, Cary Williams etc. All areas of need. Maybe its 100% speculation but I doubt it. I would be for bringing in all of those guys. Ed Reed is aging yes but he brings a ton of leadership and a championship mentality to a young team. I don't see a contract for him breaking the bank. They would probably throw 3 years at him and the $ would be fairly affordable and he'd love to rejoin Chuck and his old roommate Reggie.

Kruger might be the biggest contract of all of those guys and the one that I might be the most concerned with. Vasquez would be a wonderful pick up. We need a big man on the interior line who is a true power guard. I think all of this is within the realm of possibility.

I have no issues with the notion of any of those players, though 3 years might be a little too long for Reed. What I meant by not getting suckered onto overpaying can be summed up as.... Don't sign Mike Wallace!

I have no issues with the notion of any of those players, though 3 years might be a little too long for Reed. What I meant by not getting suckered onto overpaying can be summed up as.... Don't sign Mike Wallace!

Lol, well i know that as a team you have to tread lightly in Free Agency. You have to find the right players for your system and they need to be sensible contracts. All 4 of these players make sense.