Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians' statements on Cardinals' RBs

chad72

Yeah I saw this earlier. The Colts targeted running backs at about half the frequency of the league average, and this comment from Arians shows why. Ironically, if there were one change that he could make to his offense to increase efficiency, it would probably be to include the backs in the passing game more.

Yeah I saw this earlier. The Colts targeted running backs at about half the frequency of the league average, and this comment from Arians shows why. Ironically, if there were one change that he could make to his offense to increase efficiency, it would probably be to include the backs in the passing game more.

Exactly!!! Big Ben statistically had his best years from 2007 to 2011 with Arians as his OC but it did come at the expense of the running game and RB production. I wonder, with all the O-line issues, if Arians is expecting Kolb to exceed expectations or if the Cardinals will draft a round 2 QB.

I wonder where FJC is, he would be the one loving the fact that we have hired a WCO guy as OC, he probably is happy Arians is gone for the long term good of Luck (as he would say :)).

I just heard him say that he feels better about the condition of the Cardinals right now than he did about the Colts last year at this time.  I can understand that.  

The Cardinals have some very good talent on both sides of the ball.  Especially on defense.  I also don't think their QB situation is as bad as many people think.  

The Cardinals QB situation last year was aggravated by extremely poor coaching decisions.  That was possibly one of the worst examples of coaching I've ever seen at the professional level.  Quality coaching will get them heading in the right direction fairly quickly I think.

I just heard him say that he feels better about the condition of the Cardinals right now than he did about the Colts last year at this time.  I can understand that.  

The Cardinals have some very good talent on both sides of the ball.  Especially on defense.  I also don't think their QB situation is as bad as many people think.  

The Cardinals QB situation last year was aggravated by extremely poor coaching decisions.  That was possibly one of the worst examples of coaching I've ever seen at the professional level.  Quality coaching will get them heading in the right direction fairly quickly I think.

How do you mean? Kolb took over when Skelton got hurt in the opener, he did a pretty solid job, then he got hurt and they went back to Skelton, who wasn't great, but he wasn't awful either. Skelton got hurt again, and they were down to Ryan Lindley. What could anyone expect out of Ryan Lindley? They eventually were down to Brian Hoyer, who hadn't been with the team for a month and hadn't practiced with the starters when he got in the game.

I think if Kolb had stayed healthy, things might have been better, but they didn't exactly have an embarrassment of riches at quarterback.

How do you mean? Kolb took over when Skelton got hurt in the opener, he did a pretty solid job, then he got hurt and they went back to Skelton, who wasn't great, but he wasn't awful either. Skelton got hurt again, and they were down to Ryan Lindley. What could anyone expect out of Ryan Lindley? They eventually were down to Brian Hoyer, who hadn't been with the team for a month and hadn't practiced with the starters when he got in the game.

I think if Kolb had stayed healthy, things might have been better, but they didn't exactly have an embarrassment of riches at quarterback.

Actually, I believe they just exchanged QB's willy-nilly much of the time.  It was a poor job of coaching no matter how you try to spin it.

Actually, I believe they just exchanged QB's willy-nilly much of the time.  It was a poor job of coaching no matter how you try to spin it.

I'm not trying to spin it at all. I have no desire to defend the coaching there. But I think their first four quarterback changes were due to injury. Then, with pretty poor results (like 10/31 with no touchdowns and a pick), they started making changes. These are the kind of performances that Curtis Painter was turning in in 2011, and Colts fans were up in arms that the staff wasn't benching him. It wasn't just back and forth with no rhyme and reason, at least that's not how I saw it.

My impression was that they had a good situation with Kolb, and his injury ruined their chances. The other three guys they used are career backups that have never performed in the NFL. I'm sure the coaching could have been better, but they were in a tough spot at quarterback all season. JMO.