Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Titans to use Pistol and Read-option offense?

Flash7

I saw briefly on NFL.com that the Titans are mulling using the pistol and the read-option offense. With Locker being as mobile as he is, I don't find this to be too surprising. I think that we were all impressed with his ability to run out of the pocket when we played the Titans.

Here are my thoughts:

A) RGIII, Wilson, and Kaepernick have used the pistol and read-option offense and have been successfull. No doubt, their ability to be an accurate passer and have the ability to run have been hard to defend.

B) I don't think that Locker is as accurate as the three QBs mentioned above. I think that RGIII, Wilson, and Kaep had passer ratings either very close to or above 100. In my opinion, it remains to be seen how much credit goes to the QBs and how much goes to the system. Is it a coincidence that all three QBs had high ratings while using this type of system to some extent?

C) I think that the Colts will need to be prepared to face this type of offense next year. We do play the Forty Niners, and now possibly the Titans who might be using this offesne.

What impact will this have on the AFC South, and especially, how will this impact the Colts, if at all?

I think Locker's going to be a good player. Many people forget that he was good enough to be considered the number one overall pick the year before he was actually drafted. As long as he avoids the Texans defense ( ;) ) he should be dangerous in the pistol.

Had they kept Vince Young, they could have been beastly with the read-option.  When you have CJ in the backfield behind VY, that's a lot of speed for defenders to try to stop.  Locker is somewhat injury prone though.  And having an injury prone QB run the read-option is asking for trouble.

The problem for Vince Young was attitude. He was never a serious player and he thought he was talented enough to not to be serious, which is just ridiculous. Problem for Locker is injury and accuracy. Looks like he can nenver complete 60% of his passes even when the opponent is only working hard to stop CJ. As inefficient as their offense is, if their defense is not playing well, the game is becoming ugly very quickly and it will take CJ thier best weapon out of the game even before half time.

Titans are always the same team -  a run and defense based team that cannot score many pts. The thing they really need to do now is to fix that defense which used to be good enough to help them win 8-10 games a yr.

The pistol is one thing, the read option is another. I don't believe in the read option in the NFL and honestly believe it will be defensed and make it obsolete in a matter of time. 

Scheme is one thing, execution is another. Locker can run their version but it won't be as effective as 49ers or Redskins versions.

Scheme is one thing, execution is another. Locker can run their version but it won't be as effective as 49ers or Redskins versions.

I agree, but I'm not sold on anybody continuing running it effectively over the next couple of yrs.. Some QB's will have more success than others and IMO kaepernick will run it better than any of the other QB's currently giving it a shot. Kap is big and strong and IMO throws the ball better than RG3 or Wilson. RG3's injury is going to seriously limit him in the read option going forward. I mean, lets face it, 1 more tear to RG3's knee and his career is over so letting him continue to run that style of offense would be remarkably stupid IMO.

The issue with Locker is his accuracy is terrible inside the pocket but outstanding outside the pocket.

In an essence, they are catering to his higher accuracy ballpark but also minimizing his weakness by moving him outside the pocket more.

This is not the same as RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick playing similar formations because those guys are more accurate inside the pocket than Locker is. Soon, teams will catch up to that fact and rush him from the outside forcing him to make bad decisions or take "remember me" shots inside the pocket. :)

the titans will NEVER win a SB with Locker at QB.

The issue with Locker is his accuracy is terrible inside the pocket but outstanding outside the pocket.

In an essence, they are catering to his higher accuracy ballpark but also minimizing his weakness by moving him outside the pocket more.

This is not the same as RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick playing similar formations because those guys are more accurate inside the pocket than Locker is. Soon, teams will catch up to that fact and rush him from the outside forcing him to make bad decisions or take "remember me" shots inside the pocket. :)

Being in Nashville for yrs I really hate to wath their games - boring and ineffective. To the ineffective part Locker fits their scheme extremely well. It is a very safe bet Titans can never win a SB in the future 10 yrs.

I agree, but I'm not sold on anybody continuing running it effectively over the next couple of yrs.. Some QB's will have more success than others and IMO kaepernick will run it better than any of the other QB's currently giving it a shot. Kap is big and strong and IMO throws the ball better than RG3 or Wilson. RG3's injury is going to seriously limit him in the read option going forward. I mean, lets face it, 1 more tear to RG3's knee and his career is over so letting him continue to run that style of offense would be remarkably stupid IMO.

Some people said Colts made a bad decision to draft Luck over RGIII, which is just ridiculous. RGIII may get more attention, win more useless awards, and make more commercials than Luck, but In 3 yrs when Luck is taking his team to playoffs regularly, RGIII may not even be on the field anymore.

Totally agree on Kaepernick, and add Cam Newton to the list of the best in this scheme if he can correct his attitude.

Some people said Colts made a bad decision to draft Luck over RGIII, which is just ridiculous. RGIII may get more attention, win more useless awards, and make more commercials than Luck, but In 3 yrs when Luck is taking his team to playoffs regularly, RGIII may not even be on the field anymore.

Totally agree on Kaepernick, and add Cam Newton to the list of the best in this scheme if he can correct his attitude.

Yeah, I forgot about Newton to be honest, but yes he can handle the beating too.