Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2013 FA Signings

I wonder why we haven't made a play for Chris Canty. He is perfect size for our 3-4 DE spot at 6'7" 317lbs and has played 3-4 end before. Maybe Grigson is giving us a clue that they are not pursuing players 30 yrs. old or older. Canty will be 31 in Nov. and IMO has a few good yrs. left in him, but maybe Grigson wants to pursue only young players, or maybe he thinks Canty will want way too much money. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why we haven't made a play for Chris Canty. He is perfect size for our 3-4 DE spot at 6"7' 317lbs and has played 3-4 end before. Maybe Grigson is giving us a clue that they are not pursuing players 30 yrs. old or older. Canty will be 31 in Nov. and IMO has a few good yrs. left in him, but maybe Grigson wants to pursue only young players, or maybe he thinks Canty will want way too much money. 

I like him....shows him really wanting to go home to play.....Panthers....I would give the big fella a call....it would be nice to see some passes swatted at the line of scrimmage for a change.

I like him....shows him really wanting to go home to play.....Panthers....I would give the big fella a call....it would be nice to see some passes swatted at the line of scrimmage for a change.

Maybe Grigs has a much cheaper option in mind which is fine, but Canty would be a nice fit IMO. Desmond Bryant has been brought up by a few here. He's only 27 and 6'6" 310lbs, so he would be great too and probably a lot cheaper than Canty. 

Maybe Grigs has a much cheaper option in mind which is fine, but Canty would be a nice fit IMO. Desmond Bryant has been brought up by a few here. He's only 27 and 6'6" 310lbs, so he would be great too and probably a lot cheaper than Canty. 

I am confident we will have some action.....I like Canty!!  Bryant would fit the bill too!!! :)

I agree Brent. Nevis is just like Dorsey, only better. Nevis' problem so far has been injuries. I do think that Nevis could be a potential trade candidate even though I'm not sure we could really get much out of him. I love the way Nevis plays but do think he is better suited for a 4-3 UT. I think he can help in a rotation, but I do wonder if he is in the long term plans for the Colts.

If I was a GM and running a 4-3 defense, I'd sign both Dorsey and Freeney and see if I could restart their motors in the correct system.  I know we have a bunch of Colts fans who don't like the Tampa-2 and are glad it's gone, but IMHO now would be a great time to switch to it for teams bringing in whole new staffs this year.  Everybody is going 3-4 and there would be little competition right now for Tampa-2 players.  It's gone in Chicago and Tampa and I'm not sure what New Orleans is doing this year.  Sometimes going against the grain of what everyone else is doing can work to your advantage. 

If I was a GM and running a 4-3 defense, I'd sign both Dorsey and Freeney and see if I could restart their motors in the correct system.  I know we have a bunch of Colts fans who don't like the Tampa-2 and are glad it's gone, but IMHO now would be a great time to switch to it for teams bringing in whole new staffs this year.  Everybody is going 3-4 and there would be little competition right now for Tampa-2 players.  It's gone in Chicago and Tampa and I'm not sure what New Orleans is doing this year.  Sometimes going against the grain of what everyone else is doing can work to your advantage. 

I'm one of those that absolutely despises the Tampa 2 defense. It worked well in Tampa yrs. ago, but now is well past it's prime IMO. I think Dallas is going to very sorry they made the switch. Chicago rarely played the Tampa 2, they were just a cover 2 defense and sometimes integrated the Tampa 2 in as well. With superior talent across the D-line and excellent LBers it can work, but with the salary cap and the NFL being such an offensive driven league now, it's nearly impossible to build a great Tampa 2 defense.

I am confident we will have some action.....I like Canty!!  Bryant would fit the bill too!!! :)

Bryant was just arrested for criminal mischief in Miami....not sure what he actually did though. Money well spent on that Ivy League education......I kid

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on the price, but for the right price I'd take him.  He'd be a big upgrade over Donald Brown.  I wouldn't mind signing him and cutting Brown or Carter.  

Or we could keep 4 RB's on the roster.  Considering we had one game last year where we had only 1 RB that was actually able to play, it might not be a bad idea to have 4 RB's.  

Depends on the price, but for the right price I'd take him.  He'd be a big upgrade over Donald Brown.  I wouldn't mind signing him and cutting Brown or Carter.  

Or we could keep 4 RB's on the roster.  Considering we had one game last year where we had only 1 RB that was actually able to play, it might not be a bad idea to have 4 RB's.  

I would cut Carter before Brown if Bradshaw is signed.

I would have to know what we could save from cutting either DB or Carter before I would even consider signing Bradshaw. IMO if the amount of cutting either one of those guys and the cost of Bradshaw didn't come out even, then I wouldn't waste my time.

I would have to know what we could save from cutting either DB or Carter before I would even consider signing Bradshaw. IMO if the amount of cutting either one of those guys and the cost of Bradshaw didn't come out even, then I wouldn't waste my time.

Probably not going to come out even.  We would save about 1.7 million by cutting Brown.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/donald-brown/

We would save about 450k by cutting Carter.  His salary is not very big.  

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/delone-carter/

I'm not sure how much Bradshaw would cost, but I'd be ok with giving him 4 million or so.  If we are going to run the ball more we are going to need an upgrade at RB.  Ballard is a good #2 RB but I don't see him as a starter or every down back.  Bradshaw is.  

I like keeping Carter because he can do goal line situations and he's cheap.  

And let's be honest, Brown's contract is up after this season anyways and I don't want to see him re-signed. So losing him doesn't bother me.

We could even try to shop him out and see if anyone has interest in trading for him.  But I'm not sure we would get anything for him.  Maybe a 5th rounder at best.  

Tough corgi...but not big...5' 8" 195 vs Carter 5'10 238.  Ages similar at 26 and 25.

Ballard is as good at getting to the goal-line as anyone IMO...

Maybe it's the being short factor that makes Bradshaw look stocky on tv.

Probably not going to come out even.  We would save about 1.7 million by cutting Brown.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/donald-brown/

We would save about 450k by cutting Carter.  His salary is not very big.  

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/delone-carter/

I'm not sure how much Bradshaw would cost, but I'd be ok with giving him 4 million or so.  If we are going to run the ball more we are going to need an upgrade at RB.  Ballard is a good #2 RB but I don't see him as a starter or every down back.  Bradshaw is.  

I like keeping Carter because he can do goal line situations and he's cheap.  

Then I would say no thanks to Bradshaw. RB is a very low position of need IMO and if you've seen my posting history, I think it is the most over rated position in football. O-line is the key to a good running game.

Im not a major fan of Bradshaw,hes also been hurt a lot,IMO not worth a second look,besides think we have a very good back in Ballard,Im with ya B40 on OL ,guarantee Brother Brent is as well

I wish I had my crystal ball working to know what the heck Carter is not doing right away from the field and on the practice field...the kid befuddles me with all of that talent...3 freaking drops does not make you a fumbler for life......................VENT VENT....

I wish I had my crystal ball working to know what the heck Carter is not doing right away from the field and on the practice field...the kid befuddles me with all of that talent...3 freaking drops does not make you a fumbler for life......................VENT VENT....

You know I like him as well IMO  his hand has an effect,should be healed up tho, bring him on as well the ole 1 2 :explode:        :Nuke:      :rawr:

Then I would say no thanks to Bradshaw. RB is a very low position of need IMO and if you've seen my posting history, I think it is the most over rated position in football. O-line is the key to a good running game.

I would agree for the most part.  But I think there is a difference between a RB that can carry the load as a every down back or bell-cow RB and a lot of other serviceable RB's.  Brown and Ballard are both IMO serviceable, especially in an offense that concentrates on the pass.  You can find plenty of serviceable RB's for cheap and draft them in low positions in the draft.

But Pep Hamilton wants to run the ball more and I think we're gonna need an upgrade at RB.