Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Timing for 3-4 defense vs 4-3

jwilli69

There is nothing "new" about these guys other than they are rookies. Michael Vick created problems when he came into the league, so did Randall Cunningham. Eventually, teams that played them figured out their tendencies and stopped them. This new group appears to be better at passing from the pocket as well as scamblng, so I think they will still be successful even when teams plan to contain them, but I don't think athletic running cornerbacks are going to force a world-shattering change in Defensive philosophy. More likely, the pressure on the QB will have to come from the inside, while the edge rushers try to keep them contained. Just small adjustments and food game planning will probably be enough.

That is not an acceptable reason for me....I just don't believe that is the case. There is no way a 5 time GM of the year could develope a blind spot regarding defense. It had to be either their evaluation process being flawed, or arrogance, financial constraints etc, etc.

all three are a very good possibility also. im hoping that grigson keeps us out of that kind of trouble and builds a well balanced team.

Looking at the new breed QB coming in and running the read offense, is having a 3-4 with bigger guys going to be the right move? Would having the Tampa two with faster smaller guys be better to defend this new style? it is going to be an interesting offseason for defensive coordinators around the league figuring out schemes to combat this new style of QB. Peyton Manning as great as a pocket passer as he is/was, DC knew where he was going to be, just had to get to him. DC do not know where this new QB will be at any given snap. Creativity of the defense will have to come about in the NFL to fight these superb running QB's now. Can we adjust our scheme and lead in the scheming for these kids?

there are no scramblers in our division... in the AFC South you have to be able to stop the run, or, you would normally have to if the other teams weren't so awful... we still have CJ, MJD, and Arian Foster to play 6 times a season, so I'd game-plan for them if I were Manusky...

I think having someone like DeVonte Holloman, South Carolina would work great against running QB's. He started as an SS but moved to OLB as the S.C. "spur". Essentially, when he's on the field we would have 5 OLB's for the Run or he can drop back into coverage as the SS. He's 6'2", 240 lbs.  40-yard dash 4.6

I don't think your defensive configuration has any bearing on your ability to control a quarterback who can run. Four down, three down, whatever, I think it's about talent and execution. Some schemes might be more risk-averse than others; a zone defense keeps more eyes on the quarterback, but is also more prone to give up short completions. You can play zone or man out of any configuration, any alignment, any formation.

This is probably the first time I've seen anyone express real concern over the long-term viability of Wilson and Kaepernick.  Always thought it was funny that they seem to get a pass in that respect from most people.

I think that is mostly due to the fact of how much bigger they are then RG3 or Vick. Wilson is only 5'11 but is is around 210 so he's much bulkier and Kaep is 6'4 and around 235. Not to mention that they are both smarter runners then RG3 and Vick, especially Wilson. They don't take the chances that RG3 and Vick do and avoid the big hits.

With the 4-3 having more defensive lineman, I don't see how that helps against running QBs. Our Old Colts did well against running QBs that were not that great at passing but I think it has to do with philosophy that base scheme. That defense liked to keep everything in front and from sideline to sideline. With 1 less player with his hand in the dirt, in a 3-4 ,I don't see how this could be difficult. Just like in a tampa2 , just play more conservative, blitz less, use more zone coverages, especially with the LBers.

I'd probably use a lot of 3-3-5 formations.