Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

An Optimistic View On Manning's Situation

21isSuperman

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8220ee23/article/whats-next-for-manning-noted-doctor-explains-the-situation?module=HP11_hot_topics

The article put a pretty optimistic view on things, which was nice to see. The doc clearly knows what he is saying/doing. Glad to see that this has a high chance of not affecting him anymore in the future

I think Manning will stay out until the bye. He will be back after that. I honestly believe Collins can take us to 8-2 or 7-3. No that's not hopeful thinking, I actually think he can. I mean come one we're the Indy Colts, we have many stars. I also don't like all this pessimistic talk I've been seeing from "fans". Have faith people. GO COLTS!!!!!!

Another positive outlook...Even if he is out all year. That means he had an entire year of healing/rehab. Plus, he could even train and increase his arm and leg strength. He can watch film too...Then, he'll have a full training camp and OTA's to work with the offense. Can you imagine how ridiculously prepared and ready Manning will be with a year off?

New news from Polian regarding Peyton back this year:

Colts president Bill Polian was told by doctors there is a chance Peyton Manning (neck surgery) could play this year.

"It's a chance," Polian said, "not a guarantee." Even if it's a long shot, it makes sense to keep Manning off injured reserve until they gauge his progress once he begins training in 6-8 weeks. Asked if the Colts would consider making a run at free agent David Garrard, Polian responded, "No. Not at the moment."

New news from Polian regarding Peyton back this year:

Colts president Bill Polian was told by doctors there is a chance Peyton Manning (neck surgery) could play this year.

"It's a chance," Polian said, "not a guarantee." Even if it's a long shot, it makes sense to keep Manning off injured reserve until they gauge his progress once he begins training in 6-8 weeks. Asked if the Colts would consider making a run at free agent David Garrard, Polian responded, "No. Not at the moment."

Good news. And thanks to the OP for that link too.

It's going to be a different type of season than we've been used to, that's for sure. I'm going to watch how the new O-line gels and the development of some of the new guys on D. Heck, maybe the ingredients will be all in place by then and just waiting for the 'straw that stirs the drink'.

Another positive outlook...Even if he is out all year. That means he had an entire year of healing/rehab. Plus, he could even train and increase his arm and leg strength. He can watch film too...Then, he'll have a full training camp and OTA's to work with the offense. Can you imagine how ridiculously prepared and ready Manning will be with a year off?

Yeah, but Manning gets the film and strength when he plays too

i feel very relieved now that i've read this, thank OP....

btw I'm curious, did brady get such attention as manning is getting and what was the actual injury that brady had? I'm asking because it seems like the so many people, not just in indianapolis, are worried for manning and i don't remember brady getting this much coverage back when he was injured...seems like an american hero is going away forever

btw I'm curious, did brady get such attention as manning is getting and what was the actual injury that brady had? I'm asking because it seems like the so many people, not just in indianapolis, are worried for manning and i don't remember brady getting this much coverage back when he was injured...seems like an american hero is going away forever

Brady had a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his knee. I think anytime you hear someone has a serious neck or back problem, you get very concerned. This is what Erik Kramer said about it today:

"Neck problems forced the retirement of former NFL quarterback Erik Kramer, who had four bulging disks at the end of his 13-year career. That resulted in nerve damage, weakness in his triceps, and a depressing feeling that his body was betraying him.

"I've had knee and shoulder operations, a hernia," Kramer said. "With those, you don't feel inherently vulnerable. But when you have an injury to your neck and see your strength start to evaporate, that does something to you."

Fortunately Peyton's operation is a fairly routine one so he should recover with minimum long term effects.

Its all in the attitude of the individual.

I broke my back and shoulder blade and was told that I would regain 80% give or take of my range of motion, if I kept up on the therapy. I gained 100% back.

I would NOT let myself be less than I was before. It wasnt easy, but not much is. I guess Im a bit stubborn too...that helps.

I dont believe Manning will either. He is a competitor in every sense of the word. He will do everything he can, and probably then some, to get back to where he was before.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8220ee23/article/whats-next-for-manning-noted-doctor-explains-the-situation?module=HP11_hot_topics

The article put a pretty optimistic view on things, which was nice to see. The doc clearly knows what he is saying/doing. Glad to see that this has a high chance of not affecting him anymore in the future

Thank you for the link Superman, it has certainly helped to ease my mind. The thought of never seeing Manning take another snap has been a nightmarish scenario which has been playing through my head these past grim hours.

When something can be a career ending, all too sudden injury to a QB like Peyton Manning it is NFL news, not just colt news. Peyton is one of a kind, there are HOF, Elite QB such as Brady, Brees, etc. But Peyton is special.

I regret not enjoying last year's season more.

From what i read he will be fine,and the main thing is if we are 5-5 or better i think it's realistic{maybe i'm crazy}that peyton will play this year.

I believe we can still make the playoffs with our current roster. Alot of this is dependant on how well our defense plays. It is still comforting to know Mannings career isnt in jeopardy.

Lets say Peyton comes back after the bye going into week 11. That gives him a good "warm-up" game in my mind against Carolina and gets into his groove. Next two games we have New England and Baltimore. If we can take care of those two teams with a healthy Manning, the start of a playoff run isn't far fetched/

Lets say Peyton comes back after the bye going into week 11. That gives him a good "warm-up" game in my mind against Carolina and gets into his groove. Next two games we have New England and Baltimore. If we can take care of those two teams with a healthy Manning, the start of a playoff run isn't far fetched/

That's what I'm hoping for as well. Cautiously optimistic about his recovery. If our Colts can manage to win 4 or 5 games while Peyton's out, I think he can come back and make a big push for the playoffs.

Only if he's ready, of course! Healthy 2012 Manning is better than a rattled 2011 Manning.

Here's one optimistic view.

Collins, having the best sets of weapons in his entire career, play really well, and the Colts end up hosting AFC championship game. Manning is back to the line up just this week.

Who do you play then? Collins who has been doing very well or Manning the proven QB who hasn't had any chance whatsoever to work with his teammates. The stake is very high, one game into becoming the first ever SB host team.

Our opponent? None others than the Chargers who Manning often struggles against.

Here's one optimistic view.

Collins, having the best sets of weapons in his entire career, play really well, and the Colts end up hosting AFC championship game. Manning is back to the line up just this week.

Who do you play then? Collins who has been doing very well or Manning the proven QB who hasn't had any chance whatsoever to work with his teammates. The stake is very high, one game into becoming the first ever SB host team.

Our opponent? None others than the Chargers who Manning often struggles against.

Big ifs in there, but assume for a minute the Colts make the Playoffs. If Manning isnt ready to go BEFORE the Playoffs, Id bet they IR him.

Id say if he isnt making significant progress around the bye week, and able to be back with at least 4 games to go, he will be placed on IR and they will look for another capable backup at that point, for insurance, and will finish the season with Collins as the starting QB.

Everyone knows it will take him a few games to get back into it, and he cant be using the last 2 games before the playoffs to do so, unless its locked up, and even then, if he is even slightly rusty for the 1st playoff game, thats worse than playing Collins who got them to the playoffs.

Again, lots of assumptions in there, but from what Ive heard and read, thats my best guess.

im being optimistic about it because it can help in two diff ways! playing a completly diff type of offense so no one will know how to prepare for it!! so that could help a little and we can see how talented our players are regardless of manning! then it can also help if hes out and we dont have a great season and we get a low pick in the draft!! win win situation lol :)

Jeff you remind those big youngsters to not get too far out in front of themselves and deliver a vicious hand punch.

Boys we are Running the Football. I'll get the butter and syrup.

------Howard